Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4067      
       4069              4428       4429       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4068 #1 · p.4068 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
My first bear pole. Food bags are approximately 12 ft. off the ground which apparently is tall enough and the pole strong enough not to be bent.

That stuff used to be in Yosemite, but all disappeared. In campgrounds near roads, they have big steel lockers, but in the backcountry, no more poles or steel cables.

these canisters (black with stickers) next to the tent do the job. Those two cans hold 8 days of food for two. I need a big old Nikon sticker for mine while there's still room on it for more stickers.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:13 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4068 #2 · p.4068 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
A quick shot of the lake with the 16/3.5 AI and one of the only views of Mt. Rainier on the trail to the lake (45/2.8P).
This lake had huge numbers of salamanders - all about 5 or 6 inches long - as well as frogs. Never seen this many amphibians in an alpine lake in the cascades.

that's because most alpine lakes have been stocked with trout that eat them. In the Sierra there are a few lakes they returned to natural and those are full of frogs and other critters you don't see at most other lakes.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:14 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4068 #3 · p.4068 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

In the 12 th century the order of the Hospitaliers decided to establish a commandery on the hill of Pot-Laval and built a castel and keep at the top of the village. During the crusade era it was used as a staging post and refuge for pilgrims and knights setting off for the Holly Land.

28 2.8 ais

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.4068 #4 · p.4068 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I see a trend for pix of our fine selves on the other side of the lens ....

Not sure this is a wise request ....

But I am happy to comply in a simple way ....

One time only ....

One's self taken when 20 (1971) on a ferry between Malta and Gozo when on a journey to meet my future wife ... then girlfriend. Old slide taken on Nikon F owned by my father-in-law to be ....

Then at age 63 in May this year when someone took my D800 out of my hands .... mounted with a 135mm f2.8 ...

I am sure this will be a one off performance ...

Due to the stress of seeing myself when so much younger and fitter ....

Steve

Stokesey 2014

Aged 20

Stokesey 2014

Aged 63

Edited on Jul 29, 2014 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.4068 #5 · p.4068 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We seem to be a set of folks who love a great car pic .....

Well I can't quite oblige on that score right now ....

But I do have these two of car bonnet adornments ....

From a Hispano .... and a Lagonda .....

Both from film stock taken on an F3

the Hispano was using a 50mm f1.2 that I owned for a very short period of time .... can't remember why I sold it ... (whata mistayka to mayka)

The Lagonda on an 85mm f2 .... great lens (A O F B ancient order of froth blowers)

Steve

Stokesey 2014

Hispano hood adornment !!

Stokesey 2014

Lagonda barrel of fun !!

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:27 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #6 · p.4068 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
that's because most alpine lakes have been stocked with trout that eat them. In the Sierra there are a few lakes they returned to natural and those are full of frogs and other critters you don't see at most other lakes.

Hmm . . . I did not know that! I like talking with people who are smarter than me. Most of the alpine lakes in the cascades are stocked with trout and certainly don't have anything near this population of amphibians. Perhaps another example of home sapiens messing with nature and having some negative outcomes. Sometimes I think we don't deserve the "sapien" part of our species name.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:30 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.4068 #7 · p.4068 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
I will start this
No longer a stoner with a Nikon F2
More Redneck now. still with Nikon though
I was 24 in 1976 when these were taken
1) at the Grand Canyon 2) at Yellowstone/Teton 3) I don't know where

R

My first wife took these with a Nikkormat EL I believe it was the first one that could use an AF lens

Nice mullet!

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:04 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.4068 #8 · p.4068 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Oh yeah? I'll see your Milky Way shot and raise you another

Last night - Crystal Lake, Mt. Rainier Nat. Park with the 16/3.5 AI (my "spare"). Family in the tent sound asleep while I'm feeling like those 20 to 30 second exposures in the dark are more like 20 to 30 minutes out there in bear country.

Very nice, John! Love these tent shots

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:07 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4068 #9 · p.4068 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Hmm . . . I did not know that! I like talking with people who are smarter than me. Most of the alpine lakes in the cascades are stocked with trout and certainly don't have anything near this population of amphibians. Perhaps another example of home sapiens messing with nature and having some negative outcomes. Sometimes I think we don't deserve the "sapien" part of our species name.

The best part of this is that the folks who fish in the Sierra are all up in arms about "losing" a handful of lakes out of literally thousands to attempts to provide a safe environment for the native frogs.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/05/12_trout.shtml

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:30 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #10 · p.4068 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikon has had my 16/3.5 AI for 7 days/5 business days now and still no indication from them that they've actually received it, evaluated it, etc. Time to get on the phone . . . .

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4068 #11 · p.4068 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great photos Steve. You really caught the spirit of the thing... us as youngsters and us as... I was going to say oldsters, but I think that doesn't apply to everyone on this thread. Thanks for joining in.

And Leighton, you had a beard as a young man... I guess 27 wasn't too old. That was when I first grew a beard. Since then my face has never been fully clean shaved. I grew my beard while working as a cost analyst for Ford Motor company... in the midst of the Vietnam War. You can imagine the ration of .... I received when I walked out on the production floor. Those were the days my friend...

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:47 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #12 · p.4068 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Frustration! The person I talk to can't put me in contact with the repair center. The person I talked to says that the repair center does not have parts and thus cannot do anything with the lens. I had asked for them to do a CLA on the lens to remove internal dust, re-lube the focusing ring/aperture ring, as well as see what's up with the rear element.

Does anyone have the actual number for the LA repair center? The number I was able to dig up is a 1-800 number that is for general Nikon service.

- J

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:59 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4068 #13 · p.4068 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am rather hesitant to send anything to Nikon. So far I have put off sending the D600 in for the shutter upgrade (pushing 11,000 clicks now), even though the camera is by now so oily that wet cleaning just redistributes the oil, rather than remove it from the AA filter. I even put a tiny scratch into the AA filter with all my cleaning. I doubt they'll replace that without billing me, even though it's their crappy shutter that ultimately caused it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:03 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #14 · p.4068 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Looks like I'll have to send it to APS when I get it back from Nikon. I guess I had mistakenly figured that if anyone could service it it would be Nikon . . .

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:19 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.4068 #15 · p.4068 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DF+501.2

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:57 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.4068 #16 · p.4068 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It's been a busy few weeks and I still have 30 pages of catching up to do. I still wanted to post a few photos I made recently.

The first two from Charly, who was gently put to rest last Saterday at the age of 12.
He was a true companion to my girlfriend for these 12 years which is more then half a lifetime for her. We arranged a small service for Charly which will be held tomorrow before he will be cremated.

Later that day there were fireworks. I took the Nikon D3 and the 55mm f1,2 Nikkor S.C with me again.

Nikon D3
ISO speed 2200
Shutter speed 1/50th
Aperture f2

The D3 really is an awesome image making machine. I could not wish for more camera for my purposes. And 12 megapixels really is the sweet spot for me in terms of resolution.

Now I'm on to do some catching up and see what you guys have been chatting about while I have been busy elsewhere

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:45 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #17 · p.4068 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well, Nikon has already shipped it back to me saying they cannot even clean the dust out of the lens - what the hell? Now I understand all the frustration with Nikon's repair facilities.

If there was a separated element I could see their argument, but they have not said anything of this sort at all:

"So from the information I gather it seems as though your main complaint was that the lens was producing a flair/haze on the image. This lens is about 40 years old and there is nothing optically we can do to correct this problem. We have not had parts for this in over 25 years.Since we cannot bring the lens back to 100% factory performance we will not repair or work on the lens."

It's obvious that they did not really look at the lens. It will go to APS when I get it back - at least with them I can talk to a real person who knows something about Nikkor lenses.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:50 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4068 #18 · p.4068 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yeah, your experience is the same as mine. I dread the day anything goes wrong with any of my Nikon gear. It is to the point that if it is out of warranty, Nikon repair is not even on my radar.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:55 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4068 #19 · p.4068 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yep, they just confirmed it's already being shipped back. What a pain. My D800 needs some mount adjusting and I think I won't even give Nikon a shot at it - I've had good luck with APS in the past and I think I'll go with them again.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.4068 #20 · p.4068 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Yeah, your experience is the same as mine. I dread the day anything goes wrong with any of my Nikon gear. It is to the point that if it is out of warranty, Nikon repair is not even on my radar.

I have heard so many horror stories about Nikon service, from here, some friends of mine, and from people like Thom Hogan that there simply is no way I'd consider buying a new Nikon product. Not even close.

Very clearly they have extracted a huge amount of cost from their service department and the quality shows. I've been in companies that need to make extreme cost cutting as a way to survive in a dwindling market and this is *exactly* what it looks like. It's not pretty and it does real, substantial damage to their customers. PBurke's case above is typical and absolutely unacceptable to me. It is very sad.

A shame really, because these Nikon manual focus lenses just exude quality by the buckets.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password