FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4048      
       4050              5890       5891       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4049 #1 · p.4049 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray ... missed that ranch at St. Leos and it looks like the "rolling hills" of Florida are now a part of internet lore! Nice captures and good colors in the Church.

Samy nice DC shots and Union Station is great! You have that lens down pat, don't you?

Ric although the Df does not treat the auto ISO as other Nikon DSLR's I'm to green to comment but my dial affects the ISO across the board. Hope it's something simple.

David , if I read the thread correctly as to your "reds" the fix is more appealing on my monitor.

Ronny beautiful sunset and the second is stunning.

Mihai, the red wall is great and you obviously have no trouble with the reds coming across. As a matter of fact the whole series was a test of the D800 sensor.

Peter like the close flowers at Pinchot Pass.

Jay nice looking flowers. The Singer was an educational contract where on 500 were made. They are the rarest of 1911A1 pistols to the collector. The bulk went to the Army Air Corps and the last issued pistols were on Dec 5, 1941 in Hawaii.

James a happy birthday to your Mom!

Francesco the son of yours has energy. Nice shots!

Diallo welcome!

Laura ... eh I'll be good and rely on the ABS brakes.

Raphael it seems the Department of Home Defense has illustrious members. Nice assortment. I like the tree rings but not their history of drought. I rolled my eyes at your request to see my Kimber as it is in a particular safe which is a real PITA to get to ... but I did it. Call it rehab!

Before I forget The Lake Hodges Oaks are great! Back to the pistols. GySgt. Waters left me a Kimber limited edition match that has never been shot. I think he won it as a prize. The second shot is a 1942 Remington Rand that was built by MGySgt Ed Leighton in Quantico. It will group 185gr wadcutter's, 3/4 inch at 25 yards.

Ken Hill 2014

Df available light (Auto-ISO)

NIKON Df    55mm    f/11.0    1/60s    5600 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:10 PM
dhamments
• • •
p.4049 #2 · p.4049 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
why don't you post the RAW file somewhere and let us all dabble with it?

Great idea Peter! I'd appreciate seeing what fellow thread members can do with the difficult reds in this NEF file. Here's a link to the file, stored in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f55ekfhmq4r2gag/D71_1271.NEF?dl=0

I appreciate the time you folks are spending helping me with this issue....

Cheers and good light,
David

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.4049 #3 · p.4049 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That yellow Austin pick-up is fantastic Rafael .... the Vipers are good ... but the Austin is class ....

All these gun pix came about because Georg put up a great shot of a Singer Gazelle, Cabrio, Rag-Top, Soft-top ... which trumps my Singer Gazelle .... because mine is a hard-top ...

0341c Singer Gazelle by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

I forgot to put this up the other week when shooting the Classic Car Show locally.

I also shot this Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 of which there were only 500 built and it a street legal car at over 150mph .... don't look in the rear view mirror .... you don't have time ...

0320c Sierra Cosworth RS500 by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

As with all good Ford cars .... it's available in Black ...... or White !!

Some wonderful pix in the last few days again, and the pace doesn't seem to slow down ...

Welcome to some new folks as well .... nice to see there are more than just me affected by the virus NMFAS

Steve

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4049 #4 · p.4049 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, a neighbor and his grandson have been buying an refurbished pistols for some time. He's the fellow who helped me get a fused sticker off one of the lenses I bought. I thought of him after you'd made a comment about products you use to work on guns. I've offered on a number of occasions to take photos of their guns that he keeps locked in a safe in his workshop at the rear of the property, but he said it was a security risk. He didn't want anyone to know what they own. This fellow worked his entire life as a blacksmith with his equipment in a pickup truck he drove to the many stables in west Marin. He built a gorgeous chopped and channeled model T with a blown Chevy engine and more chrome that is seemed possible to add to the car. He also has refurbished bicycles, many from WWII. He is quite a character... but I can't convince him to let me take photos of his pistols... Perhaps I need to direct him to this page. It might open the door to his safe...

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4049 #5 · p.4049 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lamentably Steve, I have to help Sue with errands today, and thereby will miss what I believe is the last car show of the season locally. Bummer. Would love to ramble about taking photos of old street rods. Love seeing photos of cars from you and Rafael... They'll have to do until I can take some of my own.

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4049 #6 · p.4049 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So I shared with a friend who recently visited Istanbul a link to the album I created from my visit there. I realized I don't have a single photo of myself from that trip and so visited Rinie's Picasa page to see if she had one. When we spoke on Skype yesterday she was a bit embarrassed by the fact she'd only processed about ten photos from that trip. I have over 300 in the large album and a streamlined album with fewer than 200 that I shared with my friend. But I did snag one photo of myself that Rinie took with her 50 f/1.2 AI-s on the first night in Istanbul. It was taken in the restaurant where we enjoyed many fine meals and more than one glass of beer. I thought I'd share it here. I did a bit of work on the photo and converted it with Silver Efex Pro 2. So two plus years ago...

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.4049 #7 · p.4049 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Ken, a neighbor and his grandson have been buying an refurbished pistols for some time. He's the fellow who helped me get a fused sticker off one of the lenses I bought. I thought of him after you'd made a comment about products you use to work on guns. I've offered on a number of occasions to take photos of their guns that he keeps locked in a safe in his workshop at the rear of the property, but he said it was a security risk. He didn't want anyone to know what they own. This fellow worked his entire
...Show more

I doubt he'll open it up but it's worth a try. I have a very good friend that that was a neighbor of yours that sold and moved farther North, probably Jefferson where firearms and their owners are more accepted. Despite his status as a federally licensed person California puts up some major hoops!

My advice is start with the cars, then the bikes! My ultimate advice is a long time philosophy. If you want coffee, bring cake!

That said its among the most beautiful places in the world. When there is snow on the ground in Pickle Meadow and record heat in the desert a couple hours away ... how great is that?

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:49 PM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4049 #8 · p.4049 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dhamments wrote:
Great idea Peter! I'd appreciate seeing what fellow thread members can do with the difficult reds in this NEF file. Here's a link to the file, stored in Dropbox:

Cheers and good light,
David

Great, I now have a reason not to mow the lawn this morning Heading down to the Photoshop computer in a minute.

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:49 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4049 #9 · p.4049 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I will play with it when I am home. Working on a Saturday/holiday weekend... Boo!

dhamments wrote:

Cheers and good light,
David

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:58 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.4049 #10 · p.4049 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill wrote:
Raphael it seems the Department of Home Defense has illustrious members. Nice assortment. I like the tree rings but not their history of drought. I rolled my eyes at your request to see my Kimber as it is in a particular safe which is a real PITA to get to ... but I did it. Call it rehab!

Before I forget The Lake Hodges Oaks are great! Back to the pistols. GySgt. Waters left me a Kimber limited edition match that has never been shot. I think he won it as a prize. The second shot is a 1942 Remington
...Show more

Ken, thanks for showing these guns, they are priceless. I am a total civilian, but have been working for the Navy building the Landing Platform Docks for a while now, and have an appreciation for service to the Nation and to each other. To keep us true, my 1911 is not a Kimber, the magazines are Kimber, the gun is a Sig Sauer, made in the US.

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ken Hill
• • •
p.4049 #11 · p.4049 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Ken, thanks for showing these guns, they are priceless. I am a total civilian, but have been working for the Navy building the Landing Platform Docks for a while now, and have an appreciation for service to the Nation and to each other. To keep us true, my 1911 is not a Kimber, the magazines are Kimber, the gun is a Sig Sauer, made in the US.

Raphael,

You seem too squared away not to have military influence

Well to further the story and "keep it true," I made fun of the Gunny's Kimber because I am a Colt Collector and if I had to own a modern pistol it would be made by SIG, Springfield or even Smith. To that end I would "raz" him about his Kimber ... when he left it to me I knew he had the last laugh!! Good for him!

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:26 PM
monday
• •
p.4049 #12 · p.4049 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Crazy work week lots of transition in the job. This lead to lots of early mornings and late nights which equals not a ton of pics. Found this cleaning out my memory card

I have been keeping up with the thread and trying to with the likes regardless IT is always nice jumping on to see all the inspiration/information!

55 1.2 ai
lockdown by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:33 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4049 #13 · p.4049 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dhamments wrote:

Cheers and good light,
David

ok - here's my attempt at getting it to look red while still retaining detail - it definitely is on the edge and whatever monitor I look at it changes how I like the result. Full size available on Flick from the text link below

David's flower image re-processed

And a summary of what I did - the resulting PSD file is half a gigabyte, so not uploading that I took screens of Camera Raw steps in the approximate order of what I did, and a shot of the layers in the PSD file. Heavy lifting was mostly done in the Viveza filter in the Nik collection - really like this tool and am using it more and more in post, but you can't take screen shots and paste them anywhere while you are in the tool. Next time I do a screen recording and post the video. If the image is too small to see settings, go to Flickr for the full size

Edit steps for flower image

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:35 PM
HCE HCE
• • •
p.4049 #14 · p.4049 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's my attempt, lowered the red channel exposure...

-Jay-

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:44 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4049 #15 · p.4049 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Since I had to go into work today to catch up on some stuff, I brought my camera. Shot this walking in. This is SOOC, no post work at all.

Series E 50mm f/1.8 @ f/8 + 12mm Vivitar Extension Tube, handheld, D7000.

Click the link to see full resolution image, kind of blowing my mind a bit.

_DSC0355 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.4049 #16 · p.4049 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, sorry to hear of your missing the car show ...

An act of love for your lady friend will pay far greater dividends I feel.

But because I feel your pain ....

Here are a few from the Classic car show that have not been seen here yet ....

Now, you need to do me a favour ... Don't tell anyone else .... they will all want special treatment

First a 1928 Willy's Overland Whippet 96a Sedan

0411c Whippet 96A Sedan by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

I can't match Rafaels Austin A35 Pick up .... but

0401c Austin A35 by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

What about the leather hood strap and logo from an early Jaguar ??

0366c Jaguar bonnet strap by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Or early air-conditioning on the Riley !!

0454c Riley Screen SEP2 by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Steve

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:55 PM
monday
• •
p.4049 #17 · p.4049 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

my go at it.. dont like the red bokeh but can be fixed with more layer masking

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:19 PM
HCE HCE
• • •
p.4049 #18 · p.4049 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

To add to all the fine hardware, here's a custom Nerf. Probably a 2013...

D800 50mm f/1.2
Arms Race

-Jay-

Aug 30, 2014 at 07:00 PM
dhamments
• • •
p.4049 #19 · p.4049 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Peter, Jay and Ryan for having a go at the "Red Flower Image" I posted on Dropbox..... I like each of them for different reasons, but at the end of the day Peter's processing of the file appeals most to me as the red is as I remember it, and the detail that was blown in my image has been recovered. I appreciate the time you guys took to do this, and hope everyone can learn a little about Nikon reds....

As I said earlier, I hope my D700 and its eventual replacement (Df or D610) will handle the red channel better than my D7100.

Cheers and good light,
David

PS - Off to Hong Kong in the morning, so look forward to catching up in a few days!

Aug 30, 2014 at 07:03 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4049 #20 · p.4049 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

since I was in Photoshop for the flower, I worked on a few more of my High Sierra images.

Dead tree on Kearsarge Pass, just off the Muir Trail on one of our resupply routes. I am always amazed a the dynamic range in these files - getting detail in the tree branch on the left while the sun is in my lens is something you just don't get from older cameras. No fill flash here.

D600 with 20mm f/3.5 AI handheld, polarizer, f/11.0 1/40s ISO 100

Dead tree on Kearsarge Pass east ramp

Aug 30, 2014 at 07:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password