Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4001      
4002
       4003              5885       5886       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #1 · p.4002 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
First shot with the 135mm f2.8 QC wide open. Sent it to John White last Monday and got it back today. He really does nice work and fast!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3876/14775486198_5c65b7b019_b.jpgHydrangea by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr


Love the buttery bokeh. Maybe I need to get another one. It is a great lens on a PK13 tube too.



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Lieutenant Z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #2 · p.4002 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


a view of the Beaujolais, near Lyon, in the "pierres dorées" area :







105 2.5 ais




Aug 18, 2014 at 08:11 PM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #3 · p.4002 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Nice bokeh and sharpness, Leighton


Aug 18, 2014 at 08:12 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #4 · p.4002 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thanks Kevin and Francesco. I think I'll do a comparison between it and my 50-135mm this week end.


Aug 18, 2014 at 08:16 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #5 · p.4002 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


MDoc9523 wrote:

I have partied hardy over the weekend to celebrate birthday 62 so I am dreadfully behind. Lots of wonderful photos that I will have to be content using the dreaded LIKE button. Here's a beach photo of the storm moving in using the 35mm 1.4 AIS

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v178/p851164835-5.jpg








Worthy of another look, well done my friend.



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:21 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #6 · p.4002 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


DontShoot wrote:
I can't catch up with this fast moving thread so I apologize if I can't address each person individually. I just want to say THANK YOU for looking and liking my images

I went on a bike ride yesterday afternoon... started around 7pm while the sun was still up and rode until it was pitch dark! I took my Df and 28 2.8 AIS for some night shooting. The Df is a fantastic low light machine and feels so right with MF Nikkor glass!

(EDIT: The first two were also shot with 28 2.8 AIS, I forgot to change my lens
...Show more

Love the first one Joseph!



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #7 · p.4002 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
Thanks Kevin and Francesco. I think I'll do a comparison between it and my 50-135mm this week end.


I am curious. I will check the Q version versus the ais in the coming weeks and see if I keep one, both or none (considering I have the zeiss135). So far the ais has not been much loved by me.



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:29 PM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #8 · p.4002 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thank you Leighton and congrats on the new lens. It looks like a real keeper!


Aug 18, 2014 at 08:33 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #9 · p.4002 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Fpessolano wrote:
I am curious. I will check the Q version versus the ais in the coming weeks and see if I keep one, both or none (considering I have the zeiss135). So far the ais has not been much loved by me.


As you probably know, Curtis did a comparison between the f2, AIS and the QC. I think there was another one but I can't remember. His test was what got me interested in the QC in the first place. To my eye, it held it's own with the f2 with the latter maybe having just a tad smoother bokeh, but not by much. I'm VERY happy with the bokeh of my 50-135 at 135 and wide open, so this will be interesting. I'll be looking for your test as well.



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:38 PM
monday
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #10 · p.4002 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


So I had another question for you guys since I have been doing a lot more ebay hunting recently.

How do you guys pick the lens to buy? By that I mean:

lately looking for a 50mm 1.8 "long nose". There are a couple different options. The cheaper ones seem to be by people that don't know what they are vs the newer versions. They normally lack any details about the condition and is left for you to judge by the pictures. Which can be hard at times!

or

You have listings that call out "long nose" go into details about the condition and history but at the cost of $30-45 more.

I guess I am wondering how many of you go which route.



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:41 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #11 · p.4002 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
As you probably know, Curtis did a comparison between the f2, AIS and the QC. I think there was another one but I can't remember. His test was what got me interested in the QC in the first place. To my eye, it held it's own with the f2 with the latter maybe having just a tad smoother bokeh, but not by much. I'm VERY happy with the bokeh of my 50-135 at 135 and wide open, so this will be interesting. I'll be looking for your test as well.


Yes, this is why I took the Q and I expect to sell the ais!



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #12 · p.4002 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


monday wrote:
So I had another question for you guys since I have been doing a lot more ebay hunting recently.

How do you guys pick the lens to buy? By that I mean:

lately looking for a 50mm 1.8 "long nose". There are a couple different options. The cheaper ones seem to be by people that don't know what they are vs the newer versions. They normally lack any details about the condition and is left for you to judge by the pictures. Which can be hard at times!

or

You have listings that call out "long nose" go into details about the condition and
...Show more

Photos, feedback, feedback again and luck



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:49 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #13 · p.4002 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
As you probably know, Curtis did a comparison between the f2, AIS and the QC. I think there was another one but I can't remember. His test was what got me interested in the QC in the first place. To my eye, it held it's own with the f2 with the latter maybe having just a tad smoother bokeh, but not by much. I'm VERY happy with the bokeh of my 50-135 at 135 and wide open, so this will be interesting. I'll be looking for your test as well.


This one...


Boy! I had to work AWFULLY hard to convince you to buy the Q.C. Leighton... Lovely first image. My guess is you'll quickly learn to love that lens. And Francesco, the Q has the same optical design but without the lens coatings that warranted the addition of a C to the name... I've not shot with that lens but my guess in normal light conditions it will be equally good. I like it in part because the lens is a bit bigger and handles so well. The AI-s is a nice lens but a bit small. That is the reason i prefer the 200 f/4 Q.C. over the AI-s at that focal length. With longer lenses it is nice to have a bit more bulk and weight. Good luck sorting it out. And, I'll look forward to your comparison with the 50-135 Leighton. This is how we all learn...



Aug 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM
pburke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #14 · p.4002 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
51200 ISO


Sony A7S - goes to iso 409600

http://youtu.be/XgbUgNiHfXM




Aug 18, 2014 at 08:59 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #15 · p.4002 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I've not had much time of late to participate on the thread but have viewed everything that has been posted. I've dropped quite a few "likes" on the thread because, as usual, there have been a great many outstanding photos posted. I have to say, the appearance of more photos taken with the Df is keeping the juices stirred. When things slow down a bit at Sue's new condo, I'll have to get serious about selling the D700 so I can begin shopping for a used Df. I'd promised myself I wouldn't spend more than $2,000 for a body but I felt a twitchy fingers when I saw one listed on the Buy and Sell board a few days ago for $2,075. Mmm... but not until the D700 is passed along to someone with a thousand bucks... Send your friends my way...


Aug 18, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Fpessolano
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4002 #16 · p.4002 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Curtis, it will be fun, I took the 135Q because of your comparison and the fact I got one in very good condition at very low price. And because of your posts I took the 200/4QC ....


Aug 18, 2014 at 09:08 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #17 · p.4002 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pburke wrote:
Sony A7S - goes to iso 409600

http://youtu.be/XgbUgNiHfXM



Pretty amazing performance. You must be a happy camper with your Sony setup. Maybe you want to initiate a thread in the Alternative Gear forum for folks shooting with Nikon MF lenses mounted on Sony cameras. Ronny is setup to join you and you might find others inspired to play that game. Looking at his results with the A7 on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World forum one can't help but be impressed. But my pockets aren't deep enough to support two systems and the Df is definitely calling to me...

Oops! I didn't read closely enough and assumed it was John posting that link. Sorry Peter. I don't know whether you're contemplating an investment in Sony gear or simply keeping in touch with what's on the market. John has been talking about a mirror less camera for ever and a day. The camera certainly works for him when hiking and may be attractive to you for the same reason...


Edited on Aug 18, 2014 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions



Aug 18, 2014 at 09:08 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #18 · p.4002 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Fpessolano wrote:
Curtis, it will be fun, I took the 135Q because of your comparison and the fact I got one in very good condition at very low price. And because of your posts I took the 200/4QC ....


Perhaps that is the reason Laura keeps dropping that statue of the devil on this thread and points a finger at me...

In truth, hanging out on this thread will invariably tickle one's fancy for one or another of these fine lenses. There are many in my kit that came only because of what I'd seen others do with a given lens. I'm delighted it is working for you Francesco...

We've been doing this for one another for ALMOST four years. We celebrate our four year anniversary THIS Friday. Don't miss it!

Leighton is providing beer and lamb chops. I believe Reagan has promised dancing girls...



Aug 18, 2014 at 09:14 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #19 · p.4002 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:



This one...

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nz2OxUmyZCE/UbYk-sWz1qI/AAAAAAAAVM8/ENkw1ozm97Q/s1600/135LensCompare.jpg

Boy! I had to work AWFULLY hard to convince you to buy the Q.C. Leighton... Lovely first image. My guess is you'll quickly learn to love that lens. And Francesco, the Q has the same optical design but without the lens coatings that warranted the addition of a C to the name... I've not shot with that lens but my guess in normal light conditions it will be equally good. I like it in part because the lens is a bit bigger and handles so well. The AI-s is a nice lens but a bit small. That is
...Show more

Yep, this was what did me in. I hope you get a Df soon. I think I'll hold off to see if they do another version of it. There is supposed to be another DSLR coming out in a couple weeks in time for Photokina.



Aug 18, 2014 at 09:16 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4002 #20 · p.4002 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
Perhaps that is the reason Laura keeps dropping that statue of the devil on this thread and points a finger at me...

In truth, hanging out on this thread will invariably tickle one's fancy for one or another of these fine lenses. There are many in my kit that came only because of what I'd seen others do with a given lens. I'm delighted it is working for you Francesco...

We've been doing this for one another for ALMOST four years. We celebrate our four year anniversary THIS Friday. Don't miss it!

Leighton is providing beer and lamb chops. I believe
...Show more

Yea, all one has to do is come to the Shenandoah Valley.



Aug 18, 2014 at 09:21 PM
1       2       3              4001      
4002
       4003              5885       5886       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4001      
4002
       4003              5885       5886       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password