Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              4377       4378       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I love my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 PC, a wonderful lens no one else on FM appears to use, sadly?
Image 461536 not found

Aug 24, 2010 at 01:45 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David Baldwin wrote:
I love my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 PC, a wonderful lens no one else on FM appears to use, sadly?

Glory hallelujah! What a great shot.

I note, however, that you're shooting with Canon gear which makes you "ineligible" for our little celebration since you already have a forum where you can share your photos taken with this lens... the Alternative Gear forum. Those of us shooting Nikon can't post a photo on that board using that lens since it is native to our cameras. That was the whole reason I created this thread, to give us a chance to share our excitement at the oldies but goodies produced by Nikon. I won't "report" you to Fred however since this is all in fun...

Aug 24, 2010 at 02:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Robb Mann wrote:
The 50 f1.2 is quickly becoming my favorite lens. It's so easy to focus and so versatile on the D700.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing with the lens Robb. Come join the fun!

Here's another shot taken last night, this one with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s. This one demonstrates one of the challenges of shooting at night when bright lights wash out some areas while others are lost in shadow.

Edited on Aug 26, 2010 at 04:56 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2010 at 02:13 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some quick playing indoors today. Only problem I had is that the cats wanted to help too and kept checking out the tripod that they've seen a gazillion times already.

Anyhow, for my first test subject, I used a box. with label on the side, distance from front of lens to box given with each set, resampled on first image, center crop on second..

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/notubes.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/notubes_center_crop.jpg

12mm tube + 200 = 51.25 inches from box

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/12mm_tube.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/12mm_tube_center_crop.jpg

20mm tube + 200 = 47 inches from box

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/20mm_tube.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/20mm_tube_center_crop.jpg

36mm tube + 200 = 37.75 inches from box

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/36mm_tube.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/36mm_tube_center_crop.jpg

Full set + 200 = 31.5 inches from box

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/full_set_tubes.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/cats/kenko/200/full_set_tubes_center_crop.jpg

Let me know if you want something
...Show more

Aug 24, 2010 at 07:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What I really want to know is when will you be serving Margaritas?

If I interpret what you've done with this demo it suggests that with the tubes one can get closer to the subject, and hence, produce a larger in focus image. It doesn't enhance the capacity of the lens to render a sharper image, simply a closer view. Right?

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I took a friend shopping for new glasses and brought my camera to occupy myself while she inquired about the fine points of all things to do with lenses and frames. I gave her my feedback, but there was only so much I could do... so I took a few photos with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s mounted.

Edited on Jun 02, 2012 at 03:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

After a remarkably cool summer the Bay Area is experiencing a heat wave with temperature at the moment of 104 degrees. It was a good time to find a bit of shade.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I knew that was coming, , but sorry, the box is full of used textbooks. Yup as to what the tubes do, but it is so much fun. Excuse the AF lens on the crocus, hand held in the front yard this spring.

85mm f1.8 AF-D

CGrindahl wrote:
What I really want to know is when will you be serving Margaritas?

If I interpret what you've done with this demo it suggests that with the tubes one can get closer to the subject, and hence, produce a larger in focus image. It doesn't enhance the capacity of the lens to render a sharper image, simply a closer view. Right?

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
...Excuse the AF lens on the crocus, hand held in the front yard this spring.

And here I was looking for a shot from the 85 f/2 AI-s that has been tantalizing me of late...

I may pick up tubes at some point, though like DJ I'm much in love with the Sigma 150. Here is a flower taken with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s at f/2 this afternoon. I took a long bike ride earlier today, but at the moment I'm trying to stay cool away from the west windows. The temp last time I checked was 105!

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:33 PM
spentomuch
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

D700 + 105 ais
Fore give the exposure, this was before I put the lens the cam so no metering and well I missed, but I still like it = Granddaughter
Image 461732 not found

Aug 25, 2010 at 01:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rexx714
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

111 by Son V Hanoi, on Flickr
Nikon 28mm f2 ais ZF
nice pic spentomuch.....

Aug 25, 2010 at 02:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

spentomuch wrote:
D700 + 105 ais
Fore give the exposure, this was before I put the lens the cam so no metering and well I missed, but I still like it = Granddaughter

Any photo of a granddaughter is worthy of celebration. I die for those sparkling eyes. Amazing to realize that each of us was once that innocent... We'll have to start another thread to figure what happened.

I LOVE this lens, needless to say since I started a thread celebrating it a few days ago. Now it is competing for time on my camera, but you can count on the fact it will be part of the relatively small kit I take with me next week when I head to Rotterdam for a visit with a photographer friend. Frankly, I think I'd be more than happy with the 28, 50 and 105 AI-s lenses and nothing else.

Aug 25, 2010 at 02:25 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rexx714 wrote:
nice pic spentomuch.....

Lovely shot but not quite what I had in mind when I started this thread, which is devoted to manual focus lenses manufactured by Nikon. I don't doubt that everyone recognizes the Zeiss 28 f/2 ZF as a fine lens, but I'm trying to give those with Nikon glass an opportunity to show it off...

Aug 25, 2010 at 02:30 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I shot with the 135 f/2.8 AI a couple of nights ago and got this at ISO 6400. The Silver Peso is a biker bar in an upscale commercial district in the midst of one of the wealthiest towns in Marin County, a real anachronism. It is clearly a popular haunt with folks hanging outside to have a smoke now that California has laws that prohibit smoking even in bars and restaurants. It was a mile evening, so no one was complaining. A few folks were curious about my walking around in the dark taking photos...

Across the street a fine Italian restaurant offers all you can eat lobster on Monday evenings... Two blocks to the south is a restaurant that at one time was considered one of the finest in northern California, Lark Creek Inn. Go figure!

Aug 25, 2010 at 09:13 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
The Silver Peso is a biker bar in an upscale commercial district in the midst of one of the wealthiest towns in Marin County, a real anachronism. It is clearly a popular haunt with folks hanging outside to have a smoke now that California has laws that prohibit smoking even in bars and restaurants

Across the street a fine Italian restaurant offers all you can eat lobster on Monday evenings... Two blocks to the south is a restaurant that at one time was considered one of the finest in northern California, Lark Creek Inn. Go figure!

So what I wanna know is...

... which restaurant did YOU eat in ??

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dj dunzie wrote:
So what I wanna know is...

... which restaurant did YOU eat in ??

All of them at one time or another. That is what comes from spending twenty years in a place. Of course, the Lark Creek Inn is out of business, so that is off the books. And there is DJ's... interesting... an outstanding Chinese restaurant also across the street from the Silver Peso. This is Marin, where folks love to go out for dinner. The photo I shared yesterday of the Left Bank represents ANOTHER restaurant in downtown Larkspur. It is a French style cafe and is wonderful as well.

But my FAVORITE food is either Thai or Indian. One of the joys about living in the SF Bay area is the incredible array of outstanding food from around the world. But this evening I'm attending a small birthday celebration and the food will be prepared by a graduate of the Culinary Academy in New York whose father is 88 today. Mmm good!

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dinner is about to be served... Shot with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s at f/2. The birthday party was a big success.

And a closeup of the salad before it was dressed and brought to the table.

Aug 26, 2010 at 07:29 AM
Gary Sommer
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

600 f5.6 on D1X

Gary

Aug 27, 2010 at 02:10 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Heres several with the 28MM F3.5 H lens - from this past weekend.
1. Junior powerplant.
Image 463271 not found

Aug 30, 2010 at 07:59 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

2. All Steel.
Image 463272 not found

Aug 30, 2010 at 08:00 PM
1       2       3       4      
       6              4377       4378       end