Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3952      
       3954              4300       4301       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3953 #1 · p.3953 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve, 1991 had the most beautiful and exotic looking cars ever at Le Mans in my opinion. The Mazda for one, the Jaguar with it's enclosed rear wheels and the Auber Mercedes C9 were all beautiful. The Nissan R91 CP's were awesome to behold and sounded just as fierce.

Awesome times. I wish I had been old enough to attend the races back then, but at the age of 13 I was not able to make it across Belgium and France on my own. Lack of funds also played a role

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3953 #2 · p.3953 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy

You really shouldn't encourage me .....

The Class C cars were as you say ... awesome ......

Unfortunately the Nissan did not appear at Le Mans in 91, though it did make some good wins in Japan and other places.

So for you ....

Here are a couple more .... night shots too .....

Just check out those brake discs on the Sauber Mercedes ..... now that's HOT

Steve

Stokesey 2014

Peugeot No 6 did not finish the race .... check out the blackening on the side ... fire in the pits

Stokesey 2014

Sauber Mercedes at night with glowing brake discs _ Le Mans '91

Stokesey 2014

Mazda No 56 at night just out of the pit lane - Le Mans '91

Stokesey 2014

Porsche 962C - Konrad Racing - Maybe Henri Pescarolo at the wheel - Le Mans '91

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3953 #3 · p.3953 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Congratulations to Chin, Kevin, Ram, and Chuong on the impending arrivals! Chin, relax, like James said, there's no owner's manual. When in doubt, ask the grandparents

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3953 #4 · p.3953 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mine all survived, and are currently 35, 33, and 31. It's normal to feel this anxiety, too

Zichar wrote:
Whoa, what's with all the ideas, hold on to your horses guys! Hahahaha
Gee just because I'm that photographer with the crazy poodle doesn't mean I'm going to be doing the same with my kid
Tsk those soul-sucking machines
But yeah, I kinda jumped the gun there, it's cultural superstition not to reveal until much later
My folks don't know yet
And I'm pretty nervous about it, downright scared actually
I feel like a child, a man child
Will I be able to provide, time, effort, guarantee of good health, love, lessons, finances, education?
It's bloody expensive to raise a kid here, I'm unsure of the environment,
...Show more

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM
basilisk

p.3953 #5 · p.3953 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another with the 105mm f2.5 AI, @f4 with tubes
Nigella flower bud by JamesNewman, on Flickr

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3953 #6 · p.3953 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Is this your first, Chin?

Yes, is this where you will tell me it gets easier?

But yeah thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement
So maybe it's not that bad after all?
But sheesh, I do wonder now whether I'll ever get to own a Noct...

>>

Back to the regular schedule
One of the hazards of shooting from the hip... chopped off appendages

has backing by Zichar, on Flickr

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:15 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3953 #7 · p.3953 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Yes, is this where you will tell me it gets easier?

Yes actually. It will be scary, you will be tired, you will want to pull your hair out, heck you will want to pull your wifes hair and the baby's hair out... But when you look back, it will all be worth it. Babies really only need food, warmth, cleanliness, and most importantly, love. The biggest pearl of wisdom I can pass on is to remember that babies don't have a way to tell you what is wrong and you will have to guess. I made a checklist that I had mounted on the wall behind the crib, starting with diaper, then food, cold, etc. Eventually you will start to notice that the cry/whimper is slightly different when a diaper needs to be changed vs. being hungry. Another thing I did is keep a box of diapers and wipes in the car, in addition to the diaper bag that always went with the baby. Inside the box I also kept a spare onesie, shirt, pants, socks, and a blanket. You never know when you will have a three outfit day and need the extra set of "gear". You will also come to find a million uses for baby wipes. They are a wonderful invention.

My only regret with my daughters I have now is that I didn't take many pictures when they were little. I won't make that mistake with my new little one, please don't with yours. It makes me feel so guilty every time I think about it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3953 #8 · p.3953 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The one and only time I changed a diaper, it was for my three month old god-daughter whose parents went on Christmas day to serve food at their church. They left Claire with me and her nine year old half brother Jesse. Jesse showed me how to do it...

Jesse now has a little boy of his won, Ansel, who has appeared on this thread. Jesse is cool but his mother was pretty terrified. My partner Sue though she has had no children herself, has cared for infants and children most of her life. She is confident and well informed. I recall conversation with Sarah offering her support and guidance. Now, a year and a half later, Sarah is an amazing mother, relaxed and at ease... as much as Jesse is. I posted this before... at Sarah's graduation party.

You'll be fine Chin. I appreciate all the sage advice being passed along by those who've already traveled this path. Kevin's great practical advice, Laura's reminder to get support from grandparents who will be delighted to help. Ansel's grandmother and grandfather each spend an afternoon with him, picking him up from daycare and playing with him.

You may not get that NOCT any time soon but you certainly can get a 55 f/1.2 right now if you wish. It would be a great lens for shooting a munchkin. Take lots of photos. Jesse creates a calendar each year with photos taken the preceding year. I have it mounted on a wall to enjoy all year long. Have fun my friend AND I extend the same wishes to all on this thread who are looking forward to this grand occasion, Kevin, Ram and Chuong. Well done!

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3953 #9 · p.3953 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve, you will doubtless entice Peter to share a few more of his old photos. Interesting that we have two participants to this thread who have spent time with that kind of shooting. Really awesome photos. And if the Bridges of the World thread prompted you to begin digging in your old slides, I'm happy to have been of assistance...

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3953 #10 · p.3953 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James, the recent photos you've posted from work with the 105 f/2.5 are truly inspiring. Put tubes on that lens and magic is sure to happen. Wonderful work.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

basilisk

p.3953 #11 · p.3953 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
James, the recent photos you've posted from work with the 105 f/2.5 are truly inspiring. Put tubes on that lens and magic is sure to happen. Wonderful work.

Thanks Curtis. I do now have functioning Vivitar AT-3/AI tubes, and the last two pictures did have a bit of tubage in place. It is a compromise; I do like to shoot wide open for the bokeh and highlights, and I can get more DOF by shooting further back and cropping. On tubes I more or less have to stop down to get useable DOF. The 135mm f2 would be a great lens for this sort of shooting, but I have pretty much used up my self imposed budget for the time being, and they don't come cheap (compared with the 70 for the 105mm f2.5)

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:26 PM
basilisk

p.3953 #12 · p.3953 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Is it OK to alert folks to online bargains?
This sounds to me like a steal, but I don't know any details on condition. I have bought from Ffordes in the past and have found their service to be very satisfactory. I already have the 50mm version, and can't really justify two lenses in this range.
55mm f1.2 AI
http://ffordes.com/product/14061015282631

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:44 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3953 #13 · p.3953 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I had a very interesting incident at the beach on Monday. I knew they had spotted stingrays in the area but I ventured into the water anyway. I was out only about 20 feet when I saw a school of them headed right toward me. I danced to the left and then to the right like a scared rabbit when Captain Jack told me to stand still. I did and the school came right toward me. I looked into the water and counted about a dozen. Sure enough they swam right around with me in the middle. It was such a thrilling experience of fear and delight to look down and be completely surrounded. They soon passed by and I headed toward the shore with Melody laughing because she said I danced like a little girl
Ken is an expert scuba diver so I hope he is not laughing his stitches out at me.

Notice the people watching the school of stingrays. I had Scotts lens on my camera so I did not get close enough to get photos of the Rays

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:00 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3953 #14 · p.3953 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here are some other photos from the beach using the Nikkor 25-50 F4 It's a great lens but I had trouble remembering which one of the focus rings focused and which zoomed. Super nice lens.

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:09 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3953 #15 · p.3953 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, that lens draws real nice!

I remember being at an aquarium when I was little and they had a tank where you could touch stuff. There was a couple small stingrays in the tank and a little girl grabbed the tail on one. It promptly stabbed her in the wrist. Looked like she got stabbed by a pencil and of course she screamed. The docent saw what happened and when the parent got belligerent, the docent pointed to the sign that said to touch, not grab, as they could get stung. They still helped the girl, but the parent couldn't really do anything about it. They did not have to allow their daughter to touch the fish...

I would have been dancing like a girl too. If I am in water I cannot see the bottom of...

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:25 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3953 #16 · p.3953 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Here are some other photos from the beach using the Nikkor 25-50 F4 It's a great lens but I had trouble remembering which one of the focus rings focused and which zoomed. Super nice lens.

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v116/p122342539-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v115/p1057807233-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v146/p319338190-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v156/p291842867-5.jpg

Ray,
Laughing because the last time I dove "scuba" in the ocean was 1999. I do have over a 1000 cave dives and deep dives to 300 ffw. Odds are if you drink bottled spring water from Florida ... I swam in it. Below is a shot with the 180 of a 12' gator that resides at one of the sinkholes I dive/dove.

When I go to the beach I always wear neoprene boots for the reasons you tried to avoid.

Back from the Doc who said NO weight bearing for two more months on the right ankle ... setback, of course and a new cast. Left leg still no weight bearing. Robin and I celebrated at "Five Guys." Tomorrow back to yogurt .....

Le Mans race always an event for me

Samy, the Lake shot the best I've seen in a while.

Nuno your sea scape 3558 a true rendition of whats there.

Jose I like the white spider capture.

James interesting and pleasing light and framing of the Nigella

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 06:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:02 PM
zephyres
• •
p.3953 #17 · p.3953 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill wrote:
Ray,
Laughing because the last time I dove "scuba" in the ocean was the 1999. I do have over a 1000 cave dives and deep dives to 300 ffw.

When I go to the beach I always wear neoprene boots for the reasons you tried to avoid.

Back from the Doc who said NO weight bearing for two more months on the right ankle ... setback, of course and a new cast. Left leg still no weight bearing. Robin and I celebrated at "Five Guys."

1000 cave dives? Very impressive Ken.. By the way this is coming from a guy who cannot technically swim (i can go from one end of the swimming pool to the other, but cannot take breath in between strokes ;-) )

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:16 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3953 #18 · p.3953 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

zephyres wrote:
1000 cave dives? Very impressive Ken.. By the way this is coming from a guy who cannot technically swim (i can go from one end of the swimming pool to the other, but cannot take breath in between strokes ;-) )

Right there with you. I can't hardly swim either. I am terrified if I cannot see the bottom.

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:23 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3953 #19 · p.3953 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Right there with you. I can't hardly swim either. I am terrified if I cannot see the bottom.

Sometimes in deep water and weightless seeing the bottom is frightening to some ... like standing on a ledge. In what we call black water or blue water there is no vis at all to define top vs. bottom.

Here is my organization, the IUCRR, worldwide and we do it for free, for law enforcement and public officials needing our trained dive teams.

http://www.iucrr.org/emergency.html#nc

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:47 PM
Brontodon

p.3953 #20 · p.3953 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Only compact lenses like the 50/1.8D get to be made into AF versions because the optics are so small and light. The AF motor would have to be huge to move all that glass in the 105/2.5 . . .

Before Nikon put motors into each AF lens, the cameras had the motors. I was surprised even then that the never made a screw-drive version of the 105 f/2.5. It's an enormously popular and long-time staple of the Nikkor family and I thought they would have updated it for their AF cameras. Of course, they did make quite a number of autofocus versions of other lenses in the 105mm focal length.

Steve

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password