1       2       3              3949      
       3951              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HienDiep
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3950 #1 · p.3950 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Great image Jay. I have not tried that much of a pano with my 16/3.5, but I must now that I've seen yours.

Here's a pano with the 45/2.8P. For some reason PTGUI just could not do this one and CS6 came through (usually it's the other way around).

f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/1,500 sec, D800

Crystal Lake, Mount Rainier National Park
http://www.seanet.com/~hinkey/CrystalLake/CrystalLake_mf.jpg

Unfortunately Mt. Rainier is blocked by the peak on the left side.

Beautiful Landscape, I think you need not Stitch Panorama , because 16/3.5 on Full Frame is a fisheye lens , can capture very wide Landscape up to 180 degrees

Aug 03, 2014 at 12:21 AM
dhamments
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3950 #2 · p.3950 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good evening all! I finally had my 16mm f3.5 fisheye lens ai'd by John White yesterday, and had a brief session with it this evening before the sky opened. After seeing the fine work with this lens posted by John, Peter and Jay, I'm a little intimidated posting my first shots with it. It's not an easy lens to use! Here's a three shot panorama of the Ambassador Bridge between the USA and Canada, followed by a single capture. Distortion doesn't seem too bad to me and the lens seems to be fairly sharp across the frame. I'll post a few more single images tomorrow when I have time to review them a little more.

Cheers and good light,
David

dhamments 2014

Ambassador Bridge Pano - 16mm

NIKON D7100    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    16mm    f/3.5    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Great Lakes Freighter

NIKON D7100    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    16mm    f/3.5    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:08 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3950 #3 · p.3950 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dhamments wrote:
Good evening all! I finally had my 16mm f3.5 fisheye lens ai'd by John White yesterday, and had a brief session with it this evening before the sky opened. After seeing the fine work with this lens posted by John, Peter and Jay, I'm a little intimidated posting my first shot with it. It's not an easy lens to use! Here's a three shot panorama of the Ambassador Bridge between the USA and Canada. Distortion doesn't seem too bad to me and the lens seems to be fairly sharp across the frame. I'll also post a few single images tomorrow
...Show more

Nice first image! My 16/3.5's are a tie for my sharpest lens on my D800. So sharp in fact that I must use live view (or my pre-determined infinity stop) to get it tack sharp.

Beware that every copy that I've seen has the infinity focus far off from that marked on the focus ring. On both my copies true infinity is about half-way between the 5 and 2 meter mark. Most times I just put the focus point half way between 5 and 2 meters and set it to f/8 and all is good.

If you haven't already I would find the best focus at infinity on your camera and make a note of it or put some tape with a mark on the lens barrel. Then for shots like that of the bridge you can just put it on this mark and set it to f/8 (or whatever) and you are good to go.

When I had my D300 my 16/3.5 was my substitute for my 20/2.8 on FX.

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:17 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3950 #4 · p.3950 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That big smile you see on my face at the moment is because Leighton was FINALLY lured into 135 f/2.8 Q.C. territory... You are a tough nut to crack my friend...

And Francesco made the move as well. Well done guys!

I'll say again, this is one of those Nikkors that is an incredible value for the money. I keep trying the pre-AI lenses with their earlier optical designs and over and over again have been blown away by performance. That is surely the case with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. The earlier lens, the Q doesn't have the added coatings but it has the same optical design. I'm tempted to buy a Q simply to try it out. They're practically giving these lenses away...

My guess Leighton is that you're more than competent enough to do the conversion yourself. Take a page out of Jose's playbook. He did some incredibly fine work on his lenses. I bet he'd lend a hand if you asked for his guidance. The lens looks like a beauty! Have fun.

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:20 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3950 #5 · p.3950 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Did the thread grow by 50 pages in the last few days I was away

Here's a contribution from my trip this past week to Kiawah Island, which is just south of Charleston, South Carolina. Will be back with more, and try to catch at least some of the thread pages that blew by this week.

500 F4 P.
AlligatorTurtle1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:26 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3950 #6 · p.3950 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Black 45/2.8AI-P still up for sale - don't make me buy another one!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1308285

- John

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:28 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3950 #7 · p.3950 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome to the newbies ! Some great pictures you are posting.
That flower that you call Bim Bim is in the Convulvulous family and we call them "Morning Glory".

I have seen some great car pics, great fisheye shots from the wilderness, bridges, boats, flowers etc., far too many to mention individually.

Andy

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:14 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3950 #8 · p.3950 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John - give us a run down of why you would buy the 45/2.8 as opposed to the far cheaper vast array of 50's available ?

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:15 AM
HienDiep
• •
p.3950 #9 · p.3950 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
Welcome to the newbies ! Some great pictures you are posting.
That flower that you call Bim Bim is in the Convulvulous family and we call them "Morning Glory".

Andy

Thank you very much for your info about " Morning Glory "

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:33 AM
Shane3v3

p.3950 #10 · p.3950 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Funny the mention of the focus issues on the 55 2.8. I picked up one from KEH on Friday and the focus was so stiff that I was afraid I was going to break my Nikomat's mount while I was playing with it. It gave me an excuse to break out the Wiha bit set I got a few months back, so I'm not mad.

Now if the bellows I won on ebay would hurry up and get here...

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Joseph.
• • • •
p.3950 #11 · p.3950 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

105 2.5 AIS

NIKON Df    105mm    f/2.5    1/200s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:56 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3950 #12 · p.3950 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
John - give us a run down of why you would buy the 45/2.8 as opposed to the far cheaper vast array of 50's available ?

My guess Andy is that like Peter, John is concerned about creating a very light kit that he can take to the mountains when he goes hiking with his buddy and with his family. He and his friend do some serious hiking with camping gear, food and for John some camera gear. In a way, we're fortunate that he keeps taking his Nikon kit with him since he is playing in all fields... Sony and Panasonic, I believe. The 45 is a very small, very light lens and John who is a stickler for performance likes what it is capable of doing on his D800. That's my education guess...

Now John can tell us both why that lens is so appealing. For ME the lens is too small and too expensive to consider adding it to my kit.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:16 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3950 #13 · p.3950 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome Shane. This is your first post on this thread and only the seventh since you joined FM a month and a half ago. We love to talk about lenses and to share photos taken with them, at least so long as both camera and lens were made by Nikon. Enjoy yourself. When that bellows arrives take a photo of your setup and share it with us. We love seeing this gear almost as much as we love using it.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:19 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3950 #14 · p.3950 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:

It's:
- Chipped
- Super small
- Slightly wider
- Is effectively a lens cap for my D800
- Sharp enough across the frame at f/5.6
- Low enough DOF at f/2.8 to make it interesting
- No glow or CA at f/2.8

I must admit I did test out a 50/1.8 AIS the other day which is almost as small.

Now, don't get the impression it's a perfect lens in any way:
- Busy bokeh at times
- Does not like the sun in the frame (lots of flare)
- Easy to mis-place
- Sharp in the central 2/3 wide open, pretty soft outside of that at f/2.8

Edited on Aug 03, 2014 at 05:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:25 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3950 #15 · p.3950 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
My guess Andy is that like Peter, John is concerned about creating a very light kit that he can take to the mountains when he goes hiking with his buddy and with his family. He and his friend do some serious hiking with camping gear, food and for John some camera gear. In a way, we're fortunate that he keeps taking his Nikon kit with him since he is playing in all fields... Sony and Panasonic, I believe. The 45 is a very small, very light lens and John who is a stickler for performance likes what it is capable
...Show more

Curtis I should just make you my spokes person - you know me all too well!

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:26 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3950 #16 · p.3950 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
It's:
- Chipped
- Super small
- Slightly wider
- Is effectively a lens cap for my D800
- Sharp enough across the frame at f/5.6
- Low enough DOF at f/2.8 to make it interesting
- No glow or CA at f/2.8

I must admit I did test out a 50/1.8 AIS the other day which is almost as small.

Although it's not chipped, I have always wondered how the 45 would compare with the 50 Series E. I think the E may be lighter than the 45, if just barely.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:33 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3950 #17 · p.3950 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Nice first image! My 16/3.5's are a tie for my sharpest lens on my D800. So sharp in fact that I must use live view (or my pre-determined infinity stop) to get it tack sharp.

Beware that every copy that I've seen has the infinity focus far off from that marked on the focus ring. On both my copies true infinity is about half-way between the 5 and 2 meter mark. Most times I just put the focus point half way between 5 and 2 meters and set it to f/8 and all is good.

If you haven't already I would find
...Show more

Same experiencce for me, infintiy is not so, must focus much closer, I am able to do it with the focus light by focusing on the closest subject.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:43 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3950 #18 · p.3950 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for taking the time John, I just thought it would be good to clarify the appeal of the lens, for others who have not seen your posts regarding the 45 and 2. For myself because I had forgotten although I do remember your posts with it and that it was sharp.

As for weight and size, the 50's are hardly 14-24's but I guess every little helps when you are carrying it all up a mountain.

Andy

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:44 AM
Shane3v3

p.3950 #19 · p.3950 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Shane. This is your first post on this thread and only the seventh since you joined FM a month and a half ago. We love to talk about lenses and to share photos taken with them, at least so long as both camera and lens were made by Nikon. Enjoy yourself. When that bellows arrives take a photo of your setup and share it with us. We love seeing this gear almost as much as we love using it.

Thanks, now if I can actually get out with the MF lenses instead of taking the easy way out by bringing only the AF-S lenses.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:46 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3950 #20 · p.3950 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is the Millenium Clock in Edinburgh Museum. It shows a thousand years of suffering of the human race, apparently.

Here's the link - http://freespace.virgin.net/sharmanka.kinetic/clocktower/

_AGM2713 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2720 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2718 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2715 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Aug 03, 2014 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell