Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3949      
       3951              4265       4266       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3950 #1 · p.3950 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin, we have a January due date as well. One of the reasons I haven't been around as often either... I have two daughters from a previous marriage, but this is my wife's first, so that is very exciting for her (and me, I love babies)! Lots of kiddo's hatching on the MF board.

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:42 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3950 #2 · p.3950 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gabel wrote:
Chin, you don't have 7+ months left, there is a whole new life ahead! And another generation beyond!

Chin, a child will be far more interesting and emotionally involved that even a 58mm nocturnal.

Congratulations!

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:42 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.3950 #3 · p.3950 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hehe, but a Noct will be much fun to have

(Focus-stack to get enough depth of field a f1.2)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dCu1L9]
Flynn[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people//]
Apapa56[/url], on Flickr

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:49 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.3950 #4 · p.3950 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

By the way, this is my grandson Flynn now
_PG36069 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people//]
Apapa56[/url], on Flickr
Nikkor 100-300mm F5.6

Jun 10, 2014 at 04:01 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3950 #5 · p.3950 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Umm okay that came out ominous and solemn, sorry!
I think I'm headed on Ram's trajectory
So there's some serious rejigging of finances and plans
From the looks of things I've about 7+ months left...
Pretty stressful stuff

Oh ye of convoluted language...

So you are about to become a father... yes, that is ominous and solemn...

Congratulations. I didn't say this to Ram but we've had friends on this thread who've gone through pregnancy with us. I'm thinking about Alan Hudson who hasn't been around for awhile. He and his wife had two babies during his time on the thread, certainly on the way to many more. Her name is Nikki... I don't know whether your wife is willing to have her photo taken and shared with all of us along the way, but that would certainly be welcome. I'm very happy for you, though i know the new arrival will definitely change your life. Happy to share the experience with you.

Jun 10, 2014 at 04:51 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3950 #6 · p.3950 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I echo the warm regards Chin. It is such a great time of life. Certainly it is to be a cherished responsibility. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:09 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3950 #7 · p.3950 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Melody and I went to Ft. Desoto Beach today. We had such a peaceful and relaxing day. Here are a couple photos of my sweetheart using the 18mm 3.5 and 135mm F2

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:14 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3950 #8 · p.3950 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Brontodon wrote:
I'm actually surprised that Nikon's never made an AF version of the 105mm f/2.5.

Well, it's called the 105/2DC I suppose. Only compact lenses like the 50/1.8D get to be made into AF versions because the optics are so small and light. The AF motor would have to be huge to move all that glass in the 105/2.5 . . .

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:17 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3950 #9 · p.3950 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is an appetizer for a bit of camera/lens lust.

I used this as a walk around camera for a while now and really enjoy using the F3.

Here is a photo taken on Fuji Superia Xtra 400 film

Big image again again, but I like the grain and detail in this film (I don't like the scratches and dust as much but those can be edited out nowadays)

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:12 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #10 · p.3950 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ken, getting this interview has been quite the trick, and then the hiring manager up and quit, so HR decided to just go ahead with the interview. I think I have a job, when the next position opens up.

Ken Hill wrote:
NO ..... YOU WILL BE FINE!

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

basilisk

p.3950 #11 · p.3950 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Well, it's called the 105/2DC I suppose. Only compact lenses like the 50/1.8D get to be made into AF versions because the optics are so small and light. The AF motor would have to be huge to move all that glass in the 105/2.5 . . .

the 105 f2 DC is closer in aperture and size to the 105 f1.8 AIS. It certainly wouldn't fit in a pocket as easily as the 105 f2.5 versions.
Apart from the joy of using lovely bits of engineering (a bit like playing with steam engines), one of the main appeal of the MF lenses is how compact they are (though not necessarily light-weight!). Apart from my excellent but rubbishy-build 50mm f1.8D all the modern lenses seem like monsters in comparison, and the idea of a full set of good quality primes in a small bag or my coat pockets would be unrealistic with current versions.
Since Nikon no longer has an AF motor on all bodies, you now have to buy an AF motor with every lens, which is often redundant. And although I sometimes like using the image stabilisation on my Sigma 150-500 zoom, I could get by without it, and it is yet another thing that makes the lens heavier (what about Sony's approach of moving the sensor rather than the lens? that way you would get stabilisation on all lenses)
What it comes down to, is if I need a large rucksack to carry my kit around, I won't take it with me, however fantastic the lenses are.

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:28 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #12 · p.3950 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome, Steve, Practice with stationary objects first, to get a feel for how your lenses and camera agree on sharp focus. Make sure the diopter on the D200 is adjusted for your vision.

Brontodon wrote:
Hi All --

I recently discovered this forum and I've spent a number of hours over the last few days reading the posts and admiring the stunning photography I see here. I had no idea that older MF Nikkors could work so well with the digital SLRs. I had always read that lenses designed for film cameras would yield less-than-optimal results on digital cameras, and my own efforts seemed to confirm that. From what I've seen on this forum, that notion is dead wrong! So what I'm writing to ask is, how do you guys do it? The biggest problem I've
...Show more

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:35 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3950 #13 · p.3950 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great to see the next generation of manual Nikkor users on the way Buddy, good to see you visit here and enjoyed the Superia 400 image of the horses.

Ray, the 18mm and 135mm lenses sure like your better half!

Scott, always enjoy seeing the barns in your area. Great light!

Thanks folks for the comments and likes on the Velvia 100 photo from the lake. Here's a couple more with the 13.5cm QC on S2 with the same film.

More reflections.
Lake3 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Meditation
Meditation by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:37 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #14 · p.3950 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

EXCELLENT, Scott, definitely worthy of a second look. Love the light in both of these.

mp356 wrote:
Early morning barns. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:46 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #15 · p.3950 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

If you have your images hosted somewhere else, you just need the URL, making sure the URL ends with .jpg

Brontodon wrote:
There seems to be a certain amount of play in the green dot, i.e. it's on while the lens focusing ring is turned through a small range of positions. I frequently don't end up with acceptably-sharp shots.

As for uploading images, I can't do that until I have 25 posts on the forum. This is number 2!

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:47 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #16 · p.3950 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yup, that was a pretty scary sounding post. Congratulations!

Zichar wrote:
Umm okay that came out ominous and solemn, sorry!
I think I'm headed on Ram's trajectory
So there's some serious rejigging of finances and plans
From the looks of things I've about 7+ months left...
Pretty stressful stuff

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:49 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3950 #17 · p.3950 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

while you're out there, make sure you drink plenty of water. it's easy to become dehydrated quickly.

zephyres wrote:
Travelling to Phoenix this week and went out for a walk after work. The weather is exceedingly hot even at 5 pm in the evening. It was about 106 degrees.

All 3 shots below taken with the 24mm 2.8 AI + D700

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2919/14201256629_5e3f4ac869_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14364798696_bef4583d7f_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5509/14201249949_02193c61d3_b.jpg

DSC_6618.jpg by A_N_I_L, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:51 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3950 #18 · p.3950 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul, wonderful pics of your grandson, and great point about the Noct Nikkor

Rafael, your 50-300 pics at those performance you hang out at make me think that's the perfect event lens.

Anil, very nice scenery.

Laura, sounds like you have made it through the interview, congrats!!

Steve, welcome. There's been some discussion on the green focus confirmation dot. I can't speak to the DX Nikons, but on the D800 its very accurate. It is true that there will often be some play in which area the dot stays solid. Some of the manual Nikkors have a long focus throw, especially the AI ones like my 135 f2 AI (270 degrees total focus throw - http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#135). I go back and forth a bit and try to get to the center of that focus arc in that case. The longer throw lenses are not the best for rapid focusing because of that wider arc.

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:52 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3950 #19 · p.3950 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Brontodon wrote:
Hi All --

I recently discovered this forum and I've spent a number of hours over the last few days reading the posts and admiring the stunning photography I see here. I had no idea that older MF Nikkors could work so well with the digital SLRs. I had always read that lenses designed for film cameras would yield less-than-optimal results on digital cameras, and my own efforts seemed to confirm that. From what I've seen on this forum, that notion is dead wrong! So what I'm writing to ask is, how do you guys do it? The biggest problem I've
...Show more

Hi Steve

I have a D200 and all my MF lenses work well with it. How is your vision? I am slightly near sighted in my right eye but with a contact lens i am generally able to focus pretty well without using the green dot (although it is useful on wider lenses for focus confirmation). There is a Katz Eye screen available in the US that's made for the D200 which I would get if it wasn't a logistical issue. That may help.

Look forward to seeing your images.

Peter

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:58 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3950 #20 · p.3950 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin, the game has just begun. I came back to photography because of the kids. Congrats and looks like we are about to have lots of baby pix here. Mine due in 3 months

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password