Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3901      
       3903              4300       4301       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3902 #1 · p.3902 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Gorgeous Jason... Like I said, when you have a few extra dollars the 105 f/2.5 P will look rather spectacular on that camera. They are made for each other... check it out...

May 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.3902 #2 · p.3902 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yeah, the 105/2.5 is in my near future. I can't wait to see how it performs considering this 50 I have is considered mediocre.

May 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.3902 #3 · p.3902 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Forgive the missed focus. I've never had to manual focus in my life

NIKON Df    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/200s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Df    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/200s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3902 #4 · p.3902 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 105 is a legendary lens. Steve McCurry took this photo of an Afghan girl that appeared on the cover of National Geographic with this lens. It really is an incredible value for the money...

May 18, 2014 at 01:01 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3902 #5 · p.3902 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis. You are basically bringing all the fastest MF lenses for portraiture. Nice to have them all in the bag

CGrindahl wrote:
Stunning portrait Chuong... your daughter is beautiful.

And I love that lens for portraiture. I'm heading out shortly to take photos at my friend's book launch party and this is the lens I expect will get the greatest use. I will, however, have the 135 f/2 AI-s and 85 f/1.4 AI-s as backup. If I need wide I'll have both the 35 f/1.4 AI-s and the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI. Speed is very useful when shooting inside during evening hours. I'll report back with a few photos either this evening or tomorrow morning.

May 18, 2014 at 01:18 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.3902 #6 · p.3902 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

potinam, there is a man named jinkey, sometimes on this forum. He uses Nikon MF lenses with his D800. I am currently using some with my DF and and in the past with my 7000. good luck joanlvh

May 18, 2014 at 01:44 AM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3902 #7 · p.3902 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Got a roll back taken with Agfa. Certainly works well for punchy colors.

This is the 10.5cm f2.5 PC rangefinder lens, on S2.

ColorsAndExercise by maryland_photos, on Flickr

May 18, 2014 at 01:45 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3902 #8 · p.3902 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Before the ballet recital. 105mm f1.8 AIS

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_9517.jpg

That's what photography of the family is all about! Love shots like this that capture a small moment.

May 18, 2014 at 02:23 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3902 #9 · p.3902 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Before the ballet recital. 105mm f1.8 AIS

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_9517.jpg

Chuong, lovely composition. The light in her eyes is wonderful.

May 18, 2014 at 02:38 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3902 #10 · p.3902 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

potinam wrote:
Is the old lens ( AIS) will work with me D800? Is it hard to use manual focus for D800? Anybody have any suggestion?

AIS lenses are no problem to use on the D800. Some lenses are sharp enough for the 36MP, others not so much. But that doesn't mean that a lens that can't take advantage of the D800's 36MP can't make a fine image.

Getting a sharp pixel level image on the D800 is challenging with ANY lens, MF or AF.

I've learned which lenses I have can take advantage of the 36MP and which ones cannot and set expectations appropriately.

I'm not very good at using the viewfinder to focus any of my MF glass, so if it's a dynamic situation I either pre-focus on a spot in space or I use the focus confirmation dot. If I use the focus confirmation dot I have learned which lenses are in focus relative to when the dot is illuminated. Some lenses need the dot to be fully illuminated while other lenses are sharpest when the dot is either just about to go on or is flickering.

Hopefully you have not heard that the "old" MF Nikon lenses are not worth using on a D800 because they are not sharp enough - it's just not true. Some of these old lenses can take advantage of the 36MP while some cannot. The same can be said of many of the modern AF lenses - some are great, while other are not all that good at 36MP.

I just bought the 135/2 APO Zeiss which is now the sharpest lens I own, but before this my sharpest lens on my D800 was actually my 16/3.5 AI fisheye believe it or not!

Plus there are lenses, like my 45/2.8P that are not optically top notch, but they do a great job in a smaller package than any other lens that Nikon currently has.

Plus I've got several non-Nikon MF lenses (90/3.5CV, 180/3.4 APO Teleyt Leica R, 180/4 APO CV) that are a pure joy to use on my D800.

Guess I had a lot to say! . . . Hope that helps to answer your question.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

John

May 18, 2014 at 02:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ken Hill
• • •
p.3902 #11 · p.3902 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nuno I like the black-and-white series little girl just reflecting on something is just precious.

Samy I don't like the mourner I'm not in the mood for mourners right now All in all it's an excellent photograph.

Steve I like your flower shot but I've got a problem here that perhaps only you can answer. One of my nurses is from Manchester City. Although she seems normal she told me she rooted for Liverpool. Is there much of that going around?

Jason nice rig respectable looking like cameras ought to look.

Chin nice shot thank you for your kind words

Jay you're making me jealous for a road trip to Mendocino. Watertower is very cool I like structures like that and especially the way you capture them.

Wow Ronnie your 135 F2 shot outstanding it's all I can say about it just outstanding.

Leighton the black-and-white market shot kind reminds me of a movie trailer very interesting in fact like it a lot.

Ray I know that Long glass window shot it is in Lakeland but I don't know where.

Andy absolutely wonderful series the animals are just perfectly captured and you froze them in time very well my friend.

Chuong. A perfect sweet simple portrait very lovely young lady.

Curtis I'm shocked, the metal structure looks like the x-rays of my two ankle bones

Four shots.. number one is Blake who is my new pal and after some discussion we learned that we will be walking at about the same time. He doesn't use the potty yet though since he's only 5 months old.

Buddy is a dog taking seriously his responsibility to cheeeer up the place. Pets are a terrific addition to my new digs. I'll be here another 21 days..

The 55mm 1.2 SC and there is a dent near the "AUTO" engraved portion ... I can still thread filter.

The remnants of the lens saving Nikon NC filter. It gave its life for this lens and cant just toss it away.

Ken Hill 2014

Five month old Blake!

NIKON D700    135mm    f/2.8    1/160s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

Buddy makes people here

NIKON D700    135mm    f/2.8    1/50s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

Here's the lens after my friend Tonk worked on it!

NIKON D700    28mm    f/5.6    1/250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

No greater love hath a filter than to lay down its life for a lens!

NIKON D700    28mm    f/11.0    1/100s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 18, 2014 at 02:43 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2014 at 02:41 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3902 #12 · p.3902 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

My first outing with the 18mm 3.5 AIS. I've been quite excited about this lens since Scott first got it. Then he posted some amazing photos using the lens which interested me more. So with the total lack of documented reviews on this lens it stirred my curiosity. When Bjorn gives a 1 to 4 rating on a lens on FX that left a lot of room for discussion.. On Flickr it seems that 55 photos is all we have to look at and most of them from Rafael "a trusted source"
I was quite impressed with the lens, of
...Show more

Very nice Ray! The 18mm is certainly in capable hands. Glad you like its performance.
Scott

May 18, 2014 at 02:43 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3902 #13 · p.3902 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for your comments. I had a great time watching her perform today.

Jason - I own expensive AF lenses but find myself always using cheap non-ai lenses almost all the time

Here is one with the 35mm f3.5 Nikkor-O

...and the 180mm f2.8 AIS during her performance. No camera allowed so I had to sneak one in D600 "quiet" mode.

May 18, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3902 #14 · p.3902 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

The 105 is a legendary lens. Steve McCurry took this photo of an Afghan girl that appeared on the cover of National Geographic with this lens. It really is an incredible value for the money...

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/015/cache/afghan-girl-portrait_1563_990x742.jpg

Curtis .... My friends Steve and his wife visited today with a load of books and mags. I am trying to wean Steve fro AF-s but he's so good it will be nearly impossible.

Well I chose the remake of the NG 125th Anniversary issue he bought me. Testing the 55 1.2 SC SOOC. Room light and tablet for an easel I think the lens is fully functional. What do you think?

Ken Hill 2014

McCurry 125th Anniversary cover test!

NIKON D700    55mm    f/1.2    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 18, 2014 at 03:12 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3902 #15 · p.3902 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

These Gargoyles are about 6-7 feet tall. I shot everything hand held today, and improvised support by leaning on stable objects. The Reflex Nikkor 500mm f8 Mirror super telephoto is better than I expected. and with a contrast tweak in post processing is really quite good.

May 18, 2014 at 04:12 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3902 #16 · p.3902 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jason_Brook wrote:
Forgive the missed focus. I've never had to manual focus in my life

The 50mm 1.4 Nikkor is great lens no matter which incarnation you buy. I have the 50mm K old and new which I plan on doing a comparison on in the near future. Great photos!

Ray

May 18, 2014 at 06:00 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3902 #17 · p.3902 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments and likes, much appreciated!

Ray - Congrats on the 18mm, looks good to me. I especially like the second one of the stairs. Do you like it better than your old 20mm?

Andy - Got to love a shot of a dog licking it's nose. When we had cows, I was always trying to catch a shot of them doing just that.

Chuong - I can't believe how your lovely daughter is growing, she really is becoming a young woman.

Jason - Very nice portrait. And yes, these old lenses are junk. I even heard some podcasters the other day announce it on their podcast, so it MUST be true!

Samy - You're doing some fine work with that S2.

Ken - Hope you're feeling better. Didn't I understand that your D700 got wasted as well?

May 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3902 #18 · p.3902 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple of flower shots from the market, with the 50/1.2.

Market Flowers by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Market Flowers by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

May 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Big Appa
• • •
p.3902 #19 · p.3902 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong, lovey images of a beautiful child!
Leighton, nice work with the 1.2 and lightroom.
James, like the Gargoyles. The improved quality, these days, of high ISO should
help when using the reflex Nikkor F8.
Great forum thread. The like button gets a workout!
Ken, hope you have a speedy recovery.
I always seem to have time to peek in at this thread, but never to get out with my few FM Nikkors.
This one is from a few weeks ago.
Ed

Dogwood, D200, 135 2.8 "K" ISO 100, f2.8 1/640

May 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3902 #20 · p.3902 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, Rafael mentioned he was headed out to Guadalajara a couple days ago, right after posting the fire pics. I am sure he is fine, and hope the fires in the area are coming under control.

Ed, good work with the 135 2.8 on the flowers.

Leighton, thanks for the morning look at market flowers, colorful and pleasing! And Caught is very nicely done too, great expression. When I didn't see your posts the last few days, I figured the summer time is keeping you busy. Glad you got the time to take a couple pics in between.

James, cool gargoyles. The 500 reflex is little used here and its good to see pics with it. Must be a tough lens to shoot with, short for a tele but have to mind the shutter speed. I always enjoy Peter's (Knysna) photos with it too.

Curtis and Ken, thanks for posting pics of that famous National Geographic cover. That 105mm has been a Nikon speciality since the 1950s.

Chuong beautiful photos at the ballet performance of your daughter. What moments to cherish!

Ken, hard to believe your 55 is back in action, great job by your friend. Keep on healing well! From what I remember Steve doesn't get into soccer (sorry football ), but that cross city support does seem rather odd and brave

John, good summary of the characteristics of manual lenses. That 180 Apo Telyt is indeed fun to use on the D800.

Jason, delightful pictures with the 50 1.4 of your little one, and the portrait of your wife. That's what these lenses are meant for. Keep on saying these lenses are terrible, maybe at least some will believe that and bring the prices down a tiny bit

Chin, your pic while waiting for food is terrific. The concentration in the guy's face and hand come right across.

Steve, you came back with quite a treasure trove of pics from Philippe land. I especially like the pic of the priests.

Nuno, nice B&W work with your 85 1.4!

Ram, happy to see you are settling down and great portrait of the swan with the 400 3.5 tele!

Ray, I am loving your bartered 18mm outing. Especially fascinated with that first one. You have a great set of wides.

Curtis, great look at the metal structure of the bridge.

Jason, the Df is definitely mouth watering. Some day.

Thanks for the comments and likes on the recent pics.

Ken, sorry about the mourner pic. That statue is very well done, and the lighting accentuated the pose.

Laura, great pic of the performer. Are you done with the semester?

Thanks folks for the comments and likes on the recent pics!

May 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password