FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2170      
       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2171 #1 · p.2171 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another walk near the lake, this time at Jack's Point, further along from the Kelvin Heights peninsular walk where the sculptures are. There is a path between the two.
Jack's Point is an exclusive suburb in development, has nice drystone walls here and there that remind me of home, I believe they flew in a UK drystone wall builder specifically to do them.
Both suburbs have their own golf course etc but both have public access to the footpaths and beach/shore of the lake.

DSCF8238-Pano-Edit by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

DSCF8231 by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

DSCF8241 by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

Andy

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:11 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.2171 #2 · p.2171 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some first views from my new Nikon Z5. I totally botched setting up the camera, so there aren't as many shots that are worth a darn. One thing I am still not figuring out is how to get the non-CPU lens data to show in the EXIF. It took me half the day to figure out how to get focus peaking to work as well. Didn't know that somehow RAW+JPG setting got turned off. So, all of these shots are SOOC...even the one monochrome shot. It's cool that Nikon is trying to accomodate the Fuji's popular film recipes. I will be playing with those a lot! Sorry for the spam, but I am under 10. Since these are also full resolution, to see them in all their "glory"...click through to Flickr.

First group is with the 80-200/4.5 with the square baffle on the rear element.

_DSC0068 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

Handheld at 1/15 and ISO 100... IBIS is something else!

_DSC0065 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

My little one isn't so little anymore.

_DSC0062 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC0060 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC0052 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC0076 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

My favorite lens... Nikkor 55/1.2 AI. This is my second copy. My original copy (which I still have) has a scratch along the serial number ring. It shows sometimes in the bokeh, but even there its rare. The newer copy I think needs a good CLA as the focus is completely dry and when the lens is warm, there is a little wiggle in the focus ring and wide open, you can see it off center just a tad. At f/2, totally fine.

_DSC0009 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

This shot is where I found out about the ghosting wide open. If I manipulate the focus ring, I can clean up the ghosting. So not only f/1.2, but at MFD as well. My focus point is on the letter "M" through my regular glasses.

_DSC0008 by Kevin Woodard, on Flickr

Feels good to shoot again. I have really missed it.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:43 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2171 #3 · p.2171 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

GroWeb wrote:
Interesting difference between your perception of the car, Rafael, and Mary's (see below)! What are you seeing about the car that doesn't seem to work? The processing was done through a combination of various "light" settings (such as light/shadows/blacks/whites, contrast/microcontrast, etc.) and denoising in PhotoLab 7, followed by various options in the latest iteration of Nik Color Efex; then the frame and some vignetting were added in PhotoRaw 2024. As you can see in the first image below, the car was pretty dirty.

You may feel free to print the image, Mary. However, before you do this, you should know that
...Show more

Glen, Suzie IS a Subaru Forester. She is a 2016 sibling of your car! The dearly departed Rex the Honda CRV was her garage mate that we owned for 17 years. We finally sold him 3 months ago and she now has the whole garage to herself. Lots more room for her Thule rack and bike carrier! Thought a 2D pic would be cheaper and give her more room than the replacement for Rex!

Mary

Mar 27, 2024 at 06:48 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.2171 #4 · p.2171 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Some first views from my new Nikon Z5. I totally botched setting up the camera, so there aren't as many shots that are worth a darn. One thing I am still not figuring out is how to get the non-CPU lens data to show in the EXIF. It took me half the day to figure out how to get focus peaking to work as well. Didn't know that somehow RAW+JPG setting got turned off. So, all of these shots are SOOC...even the one monochrome shot. It's cool that Nikon is trying to accomodate the Fuji's popular film recipes. I will
...Show more

It's been such a long time since you posted pictures, Kevin. Very nice to have you back.

Regarding the missing Exif info, I seem to recall reading somewhere in the early days of Z that Exif info for non-cpu lenses requires the FT-Z adapter and other adapters don't do it. Rafael and George can confirm. They have 'exotic' adapters. I have FT-Z and have not experienced the issue.

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:30 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2171 #5 · p.2171 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some Hyacinth fields.

Edit 2 duplicate images.

NIKON Z 6_2    50-135mm f/3.5 lens    92mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6_2    50-135mm f/3.5 lens    92mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6_2    50-135mm f/3.5 lens    92mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6_2    50-135mm f/3.5 lens    92mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6_2    50-135mm f/3.5 lens    92mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Mar 27, 2024 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:58 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.2171 #6 · p.2171 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Been keeping myself very busy. I have been visiting here to click "like" during project breaks, and all of you are keeping the standard very high - congrats. Congrats to Kevin on the new camera, and recent outing - looks great. My projects are boring, but I enjoy them. Cleaning, organizing, building, and collecting bits and bobs. Look at these shiny bits -

Looking for focusing aids for the Nikon FM bodies I came across the first versions of the DG & DR eyepieces. Both are all metal, have very smooth diopter adjustments. and screw right into the existing brass eyepiece.
Neither have any model markings like DG-2 or DR-3 - just "Nikon Japan". Found them for almost nothing, but they have the beautiful Nikon sheen, and work and look beautiful. Shot with the D800 & Nikkor 55mm f3.5 ai

The Nikon DR 2X magnification, -4 to +2 diopter

The Nikon DG 2X magnification, -4 to +2 diopter, flips out of the way

Mar 27, 2024 at 02:17 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.2171 #7 · p.2171 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

milt wrote:
Finally I found a "working condition" non-ai 55mm 1.2 (S). Just testing it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53608280263_bb1f9338da_b.jpg_DSC8041_871 by Regina, on Flickr

Congrats on the new lens Regina.

---------------------------------------------

James Markus wrote:
A couple days ago it started snowing. Eight inches - then another inch for good measure the next day. Two days later it is almost all melted. The Robins showed up just before the storm, then couldn't find worms - so they started eating and guarding Barb's seed cakes. The other long term resident birds are not happy - many fights. Not fat shaming, but with all those eggs onboard, how did they ever fly here?

D850 with the Nikkor 600mm f5.6 ais and the tc16a + MB-D18 grip & Battery Rat-a-tat-tat-tat @ 9.2 fps

http://www.photomatter.com/2024/D850_w-Nikkor_600mm-f5.6-tc16a_Robin_85000410-Edit.jpg
http://www.photomatter.com/2024/D850_w-Nikkor_600mm-f5.6-tc16a_Robin_8500045-Edit.jpg
http://www.photomatter.com/2024/D850_w-Nikkor_600mm-f5.6-tc16a_Robin_8500127-Edit.jpg
http://www.photomatter.com/2024/D850_w-Nikkor_600mm-f5.6-tc16a_Robin_8500224-Edit.jpg
http://www.photomatter.com/2024/D850_w-Nikkor_600mm-f5.6-tc16a_Robin_8500235-Edit.jpg

That looks cold! Nice series.

Chris Dees wrote:
We did a bike tour called "The Flower Route", about 35km around the "Keukenhof".
It was expected to be a half sunny day, but as usual no sun.
Only Daffodils and Hyacinths are at full bloom at the moment, so next month we'll try again.

Very nice. Spring can't come soon enough for us!

saph wrote:
Terrible tragedy in Baltimore overnight, and the effects are going to last a lot longer.

The previous incident in those waters was almost exactly 2 years ago when the Ever Forward (sister ship to the one that got stuck sideways in the Suez) ran aground a few miles south of today's incident. That was a lot more benign event so I managed to find a spot to take a couple photos while it sat immobilized in the shallow area of the Chesapeake Bay.

March 2022:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51947108830_afd6bde7c8_b.jpgDSC_4267 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51946815939_d713e02cbf_b.jpgDSC_4266 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

You popped into mind when I saw the news yesterday Samy. How sad for everyone, including the ship's crew. You're right, it makes the stuck barge seem benign.

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:07 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.2171 #8 · p.2171 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
Another walk near the lake, this time at Jack's Point, further along from the Kelvin Heights peninsular walk where the sculptures are. There is a path between the two.
Jack's Point is an exclusive suburb in development, has nice drystone walls here and there that remind me of home, I believe they flew in a UK drystone wall builder specifically to do them.
Both suburbs have their own golf course etc but both have public access to the footpaths and beach/shore of the lake.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53587129385_82cea24d15_h.jpgDSCF8238-Pano-Edit by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53587006009_3d4bc74216_h.jpgDSCF8231 by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53586681836_c4a1e5a6ff_h.jpgDSCF8241 by Andy Macdougall, on Flickr

Andy

Now that would be a great walk to take! Even if I think flying in stone to build a wall is a little excessive. I suppose not much different than today's homeowners sourcing marble and the like for countertops, other than perhaps in quantity.

kwoodard wrote:
Some first views from my new Nikon Z5. I totally botched setting up the camera, so there aren't as many shots that are worth a darn. One thing I am still not figuring out is how to get the non-CPU lens data to show in the EXIF. It took me half the day to figure out how to get focus peaking to work as well. Didn't know that somehow RAW+JPG setting got turned off. So, all of these shots are SOOC...even the one monochrome shot. It's cool that Nikon is trying to accomodate the Fuji's popular film recipes. I will
...Show more

Great to have you posting pictures again Kevin. Congrats on the Z. With respect to the EXIF showing up for Z series, you have to be using a Nikon FTZ (I or II) and it only records focal length and max aperture.

Chris Dees wrote:
Some Hyacinth fields.

Edit 2 duplicate images.

Please continue!

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:12 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.2171 #9 · p.2171 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

28mm f2.0 AIS

Mar 27, 2024 at 08:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroWeb
• • •
p.2171 #10 · p.2171 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Terrible tragedy in Baltimore overnight, and the effects are going to last a lot longer.

The previous incident in those waters was almost exactly 2 years ago when the Ever Forward (sister ship to the one that got stuck sideways in the Suez) ran aground a few miles south of today's incident. That was a lot more benign event so I managed to find a spot to take a couple photos while it sat immobilized in the shallow area of the Chesapeake Bay.

March 2022:

It has been pretty shocking to see the footage of that vessel knocking down the bridge, Samy. One would have hoped that the authorities who allowed such huge, heavy vessels to navigate that area would have done their duty by ensuring that the bridges were proactively prepared with appropriate pier protection. There is no good reason for those workers to have been killed, nor for the pilots of that ship to have been traumatized by their powerlessness to prevent this tragedy that they had to witness in slow motion. I wish you and all Baltimoreans a speedy recovery and return to some form of normalcy.

kwoodard wrote:
...Show more
It's nice to see you back in action, Kevin! I especially like that monochrome image with the fishing float in it; the tones are very nicely managed.

Here are a few photos from the dinosaur museum in Drumheller, Alberta, where there is probably a uniquely large population of paleontologists, due to the amazing trove of dinosaur skeletons that continue to be excavated there. These are brought to you from 2017 by the Fuji X-E2 and various unnamed MFNG.

Mar 27, 2024 at 09:43 PM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.2171 #11 · p.2171 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Keeping things moving...

D700 + AI Zoom Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.5-4.8S | F5.6 ISO 400

D700 + AI Zoom Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.5-4.8S | F5.6 ISO 800

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:36 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.2171 #12 · p.2171 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

GroWeb wrote:
It has been pretty shocking to see the footage of that vessel knocking down the bridge, Samy. One would have hoped that the authorities who allowed such huge, heavy vessels to navigate that area would have done their duty by ensuring that the bridges were proactively prepared with appropriate pier protection. There is no good reason for those workers to have been killed, nor for the pilots of that ship to have been traumatized by their powerlessness to prevent this tragedy that they had to witness in slow motion. I wish you and all Baltimoreans a speedy recovery and return
...Show more

Thanks on the monochrome! That was a slightly modified recipe based upon one of the Nikon built in recipes. I don’t have a lot of time to edit, so getting it right in camera is very important. I’m considering selling off most of my Fuji kit now.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:47 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • • •
p.2171 #13 · p.2171 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

milt wrote:
Finally I found a "working condition" non-ai 55mm 1.2 (S). Just testing it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53608280263_bb1f9338da_b.jpg_DSC8041_871 by Regina, on Flickr

Congratulations Regina, you found a good one!

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:17 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • • •
p.2171 #14 · p.2171 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

GroWeb wrote:
Interesting difference between your perception of the car, Rafael, and Mary's (see below)! What are you seeing about the car that doesn't seem to work? The processing was done through a combination of various "light" settings (such as light/shadows/blacks/whites, contrast/microcontrast, etc.) and denoising in PhotoLab 7, followed by various options in the latest iteration of Nik Color Efex; then the frame and some vignetting were added in PhotoRaw 2024. As you can see in the first image below, the car was pretty dirty.

You may feel free to print the image, Mary. However, before you do this, you should know that
...Show more

Glen, you present images that to my eyes have a lot of detail, accurate color, and low contrast overall. In the image with the car, the clouds have a strong presence that makes the car wash out in my eyes. Perceptions and taste are very personal, you put a lot of effort into getting the look you want, one is more used to dark blacks and bright whites, more contrast. Asked out of curiosity.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:24 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • • •
p.2171 #15 · p.2171 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
...Show more

Excellent set Kevin, and a beautiful daughter!

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:26 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • • •
p.2171 #16 · p.2171 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So, decided to take the EL Nikkor 105mm 5.6 on the walk. Have been interested in understanding if this lens is good at further distances.

Here is the lens shown by Erik Gunst Lund on Flickr. A puny lens with a 34.5mm filter thread. I shaded it with a 5cm 3.5 hood.

_EGL1424 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr

Same walk as the 13.5cm 3.5 MIOJ, but later in the day, light not as good, 105mm lens not as good for farther images.

105mm EL

Nikon Nikkor EL 105mm 5.6 Z6 Kit Carson Park 1_10 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

13.5cm

Nikon Nikkor 13.5cm 3.5 MIOJ Z6 Kit Carson Park spring 2024 1_12 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

The 105mm 5.6 has beautiful color, but the 13.5cm is sharper and has a more evocative rendition. The 13.5cm photo is cooler light in the morning, the EL 105mm is early afternoon, warmer.

Now for these two samples:

Nikon Nikkor EL 105mm 5.6 Z6 Kit Carson Park 1_01 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Nikon Nikkor 13.5cm 3.5 MIOJ Z6 Kit Carson Park spring 2024 1_15 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

The 105mm EL is adequate, but the 13.5cm 3.5 is way sharper.

At closer distances the EL does great, will use it for that only:

Nikon Nikkor EL 105mm 5.6 Z6 Kit Carson Park 1_07 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

You can get a good image at a distance with the 105mm EL, but there are better lenses for that.

Nikon Nikkor EL 105mm 5.6 Z6 Kit Carson Park 1_04 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:43 AM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.2171 #17 · p.2171 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I believe mine is also a 105/5.6, but I have it listed as a 100/5.6. I also found it to be not as good at distance, but up close it was very nice. Very flat plane of view, no discernible distortion.

Having some technical difficulties, not sure if the image will post.

https://flic.kr/p/pwsZTr

Mar 28, 2024 at 01:38 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.2171 #18 · p.2171 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

They flew the guy over to build them rather than the materials. The technique of building drystone walls is a dying art (as the name implies they are built without cement / mortar, just using stone and are very strong and a feature of rural Britain).

pbraymond wrote:
Now that would be a great walk to take! Even if I think flying in stone to build a wall is a little excessive. I suppose not much different than today's homeowners sourcing marble and the like for countertops, other than perhaps in quantity.

Great to have you posting pictures again Kevin. Congrats on the Z. With respect to the EXIF showing up for Z series, you have to be using a Nikon FTZ (I or II) and it only records focal length and max aperture.

Please continue!

Mar 28, 2024 at 02:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.