1       2       3              3875      
       3877              5888       5889       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3876 #1 · p.3876 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

KEH has a 16mm 3.5 Non AI in EX condition for $299

https://www.keh.com/220726/nikon-16mm-f-3-5-fish-eye-non-ai-manual-focus-lens-built-in

Jul 09, 2014 at 11:57 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3876 #2 · p.3876 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Milky Way from the Onizuka Visitor Center on Mauna Kea Observatory Hawaii. Elevation 9200 feet.

D700 - Noct-Nikkor 58mm AIS /1.2 - ISO 3200 - 6sec - /1.2

18 shots stitched in PS CS5 and tweeked / cropped in LR 4. No, it's not perfect.

They have nightly star parties with several large telescopes manned by volunteers and staff. If you are in the neighborhood, stop by. Arrive early and dress warm.

From Mauna Kea HI

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:29 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3876 #3 · p.3876 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is what that lens was made for Mike. Even with its "imperfections" it is a marvelous series of images you've stitched together with the help of Adobe... Thanks for sharing this.

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:45 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3876 #4 · p.3876 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Now back to earth... the San Geronimo Valley to be precise. I've been meaning to take a photo of the hillside adjacent to a pasture where beef cattle are being prepared for your and my table. These ever larger animals wander along the hillside creating a series of paths that appear woven into the earth. I stopped this morning, then noticed a person walking through the pasture. I grabbed a few shots quickly but alas the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI mounted was not quite long enough to bring the walker to prominence. But you do get a sense of how the hillside has been carved by passing hooves... at f/8 and converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. Look closely and you'll see the hiker above the grass of the pasture.

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:48 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3876 #5 · p.3876 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thanks Rafael. I should have known that you would know

Here is a picture showing three 55mm 1.2, the two on the right have HS 7s, the one on the left an HS 12, which is for the 50mm 1.2.

Nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC Arrival by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Here is a better view of the HS7, this shade is for the 58mm 1.2 but it works great and looks fantastic on the 55mm 1.2.

Nikon Nikkor D800 55mm 1.2 f/1.2 nai non ai 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is the original screw on, harder to find than a 13mm 5.6, this shade is said to create darkenning of the corners. Have not tested it. The clip on is similar but I do not have a picture of it.

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2S with original F shade and two SC by Rafael CA, on Flickr

I found this picture from Ivan Milo on Flickr that shows the clip on shade HS3, the screw on is HN6.

Nikon F Apollo with stuff by Ivan Milo, on Flickr

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:42 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3876 #6 · p.3876 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Excellent work Ray, Peter, Nuno and others, hitting the like button this morning while catching up the 6 or so pages I missed over the last 2 days - we have been away for a couple of days up to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree NPs, (the oldest continuous rainforest in the world apparently).

Still working through the backlog though so they will have to wait.

More flowers in english gardens

180/2.8 with tubes @ f4
_AGM1882 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM1863 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

@ 2.8 - Elderflower
_AGM1774 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

135/2 + tube wide open
_AGM3226 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:59 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3876 #7 · p.3876 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Rafael for all of your expertise and all of effort that you put into this reply. I agree with you that the HS7 does looks absolutely beautiful on the lens. Now I have to decide whether to get "the original HS3 or the better looking HS7"

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:07 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3876 #8 · p.3876 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I also use the HS-7 hood on the 55mm f1,2
Easy enough to find and I picked up mine for $15 shipped (used).

What I like about clip on hoods is that they pack away so compact that I can take 3 lenses and hoods along with the D3 in a small crumpler bag. What I dislike is that hoods in general really slow me down. I'm the kind of "take the cap off, *snap*, stow away camera" kind of person and these snap on hoods reversed prevent me from usng the focus ring before takin the hood off. For thjat reason I often do not take lens hoods with me at all.

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:09 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3876 #9 · p.3876 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
I also use the HS-7 hood on the 55mm f1,2
Easy enough to find and I picked up mine for $15 shipped (used).

What I like about clip on hoods is that they pack away so compact that I can take 3 lenses and hoods along with the D3 in a small crumpler bag. What I dislike is that hoods in general really slow me down. I'm the kind of "take the cap off, *snap*, stow away camera" kind of person and these snap on hoods reversed prevent me from usng the focus ring before takin the hood off. For
...Show more

I carry lenses in my bags with the hoods on in the normal position, it takes a little more room, but works for me.

I never reverse these clip on hoods, they are designed to be mounted reversed and do it well, but that one time where it comes loose will wreck your lens paint.

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:12 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3876 #10 · p.3876 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It's killing me as I have so many photos to share with you all so here are some more

All with 135/2 AI + pn11 wide open. This is now very much my go to lens/tube combo for flowers. The bokeh and sharpness wide open with tubes plus it's throw of 270 degrees makes it a joy to use.

Peony
_AGM3065 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM3190 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Lily
_AGM3206 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

and a couple of English Cottage Garden favourites

Sweet Pea with bonus bug

_AGM3216 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

and Foxglove

_AGM3160 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

monday
• •
p.3876 #11 · p.3876 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well I guess this is my first "official" post here so hope you don't mind my babbling
As many of you saw a few days back I was looking for a wide-ish angle lens as my first manual focus. A few of you came to my rescue with options, but Curtis being the kind man he is offered up a more price efficient 28 2.8 ais option. After reading into it it seemed to fit the bill perfectly to what I was looking for int he right price range.

Today was Christmas and the lens arrived and it was stunning! A quick polish of the glass and attaching the lens hood which caught me off guard for a second, not use to those internal threaded things. I was now left with nothing but anxiety for the day to end so I can give my new toy a go. However "Karl" wanted to give me a big middle finger all day from my office window making my walk home lighting less then desirable. However, the clock struck 6 and Karl decided to play nice! I knew it was going to be a good first run of trying to figure out this manual focus thing.

Below is a result of my average 30 minute walk home:
Love this drummer
makeShiftDrummer by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

A simple peace protest was going on about drones, the main area was to busy with tourists not being mindful, but caught this character on the outskirts.
peaceProtest01 by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Love me some street music. This is actually a "Community" grand that is rolled out on nice day and just sits for people to play. I was lucky enough to walk by as some one was using it.
streetPiano by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Working on my hip shooting technique looks like this lens and I are going to have to fight over flares, the lens hood on it is so tiny maybe that isn't helping. However int his case maybe it was giving me a flare gift nice placed over his shoulder. The debate on this is on!
copStop by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Another hip shot, I love how creative some of these signs get
smile by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Finally made it home eager to test the infinity distance people seem to gripe about on this lens so got home at the right time to take a pano from my bedroom. It is not as bad as the internet makes it out to be, but no where close to as good as some of my nicer new high-end glass. No issue to me I will be using this sharp as a katana close-mid lens for the street.
Be sure to click flickr for bigger image:
cloudsGolden by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

Oaer all extremely happy with the lens and I see it getting lots of miles in my hands. Even more excited to be a part of this group. May get some more shots tonight as I have a product shoot I have to do for a friend and the .5 foot zoom distance should work brilliant for it

Wheew sorry about that explosion of text!

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:19 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3876 #12 · p.3876 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice set Ryan.

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:31 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3876 #13 · p.3876 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I had a lovely conversation with Ryan yesterday via private messages and he will doubtless contribute much to this thread. He happily created a brief bio and gave us his first name. I'd encourage folks to check his bio and if you haven't done the same, please do so. It really enriches the conversation when we get to know one another better.

So Ryan is most often called by his last name, Monday. My guess is he'll be fine with either.

Monday, Monday... you drop on the thread exactly what I was hoping for... a wonderful collection of street photos from San Francisco. No doubt your half hour walk to and from work will give you plenty of opportunities to catch the surreal that is Baghdad by the Bay... as San Francisco is called. Fine work. Love the hip shot but all are worthy. Set the aperture at f/5.6 and shoot away. Have fun and come back soon.

As a note, we generally ask folks to limit each post to four photos. You're welcome to do multiple posts but it becomes a bit easier for folks to digest smaller sets of images. A thought to consider.

Glad you found us...

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:06 AM
monday
• •
p.3876 #14 · p.3876 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

@CGrindahl

Thanks for all your help through my questions either name is fine I think there was one outstanding in your PM box, and one more about to come!

I will note the 4 image limit, so sorry!

@kwoodard thank you!

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:50 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3876 #15 · p.3876 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome Ryan ! great street work to start your contribution.

Andy

Jul 10, 2014 at 05:21 AM
Fpessolano
• •
p.3876 #16 · p.3876 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lovely set Ryan!

Jul 10, 2014 at 05:32 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3876 #17 · p.3876 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for your bio Francesco. Regardless of when we pick up the camera, we will always find pleasure if we allow ourselves the time and attention. With two boys you probably have plenty of excuses for one kind of photography. Now you can share your enjoyment of manual focus lenses with those of us on this thread who are such fans. Glad you found us. You and Ryan are our newest members with fewer than two weeks on FM. This is a great place to meet like minded folks. Welcome to you both.

Jul 10, 2014 at 05:57 AM
Fpessolano
• •
p.3876 #18 · p.3876 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Indeed! There is one type of photography for which there is always time, but I will try not to post it ... except this time to complete my introduction.

So here they are. My two boys as seen by the AIS 50/1.2 wide open.

Jul 10, 2014 at 06:24 AM
monday
• •
p.3876 #19 · p.3876 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^ cute kiddos!

So I do have a question for all you MF experts... I realize these lenses aren't weather sealed, but I was curious in what weather should I worry carrying this in? Are the light mists San Francisco gets at odd OK to still be using these lenses?

Jul 10, 2014 at 06:59 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3876 #20 · p.3876 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Depends on how long you want to keep using them.

You can use a beater 50 in a downpour. The lens will do fine, but if you then store it moisture will cause corrosion and fungus might show up as well given a chance or two.

Personally I prefer to keep my lenses as dry as possible in the hope they last another 40 odd years

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password