Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3838      
       3840              4046       4047       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3839 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray. I didn't give the 24 f/2.8 much respect until I picked up a pre-AI version, the N.C. I began shooting with it around the time Nikki showed up at my door. I have a beautiful AI-s copy but it didn't get much attention. When I started shooting with the N.C. I really fell in love with it. I've always been a fan of the 28 f/2.8 AI-s which was an early addition to my kit. That may have been why the 24 didn't get much attention. If I wanted wde I'd go with the 20 f/2.8 AI-s. But as you found, there is definitely a place for both. Interesting, given the fact the 24 was such a fine lens for you when you were shooting DX.

I had this shot taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI on my desktop yesterday... from Nikki's visit to the Golden Gate bridge...

I'm a great believer in exploring options since we never know what tickles our fancy until we mount it and take it for a spin... Glad you're having fun Ray.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3839 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis I'm glad to have the 24mm back I guess I am meant to have a copy
I did notice in reading through the thread that others have had questions about it but the test was mainly for myself.
I also used my new 105mm 2.5 AI today and I love the way it handles. Now I have three different versions of the 105. As pretty as the scalloped rings are, they just don't seem to suit me as much as the smoother focus ring.
Beautiful framing on the bridge. I love the angle and the fog at the top. Very nice image!

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM
nampramos
• •
p.3839 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Is there any performance difference between the 24/2.8 Ai and the Ai-s version?

Samy, yes those are photos from Madeira. It is a paradise island to say the least!

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3839 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

nampramos wrote:
Is there any performance difference between the 24/2.8 Ai and the Ai-s version?

Samy, yes those are photos from Madeira. It is a paradise island to say the least!

I don't know if any of us are smart enough to answer that question... The optical design appears to be the same. Generally, AI lenses have a longer focus throw, which matters for some folks. But I've found that older lenses with different optical designs are just as appealing as the later versions. I've learned there is great fun to be hand in exploring older lenses. I would never hesitate in buying an AI lens rather than an AI-s, though when i began this adventure I bought only the latest version, believing it is the best... Not guaranteed at all.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3839 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Always fun to play Ray... You can leave the pre-AI lenses to me...

Here is one taken about the same time as the one above, though this was taken with the very modest 28 f/3.5 H AI. I'd processed it before but was embarrassed to see all the dust bunnies I'd left in the image. I have to rework it, this time running it through Silver Efex Pro 2. This is shot at Fort Mason at the northern side of the Golden Gate over which the bridge was built. This is a favorite fishing pier and a great place for photographers to get shots of San Francisco and the bridge.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3839 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Kevin, maybe a fixed lens compact is indeed the most neck-friendly solution. Hope you recover soon. Based on your preference for slightly longer focal-lengths a Sigma DP3 might be worth further investigations. But please take your time, recover first and think about photography later.
All the best, Georg!

I have been looking at the Fuji X100s and the XE1 or 2. I also toyed with the idea of the Sony RX1, but that is pricy... I don't know what I am going to do really. Just so very frustrated. A lot of things have been suggested to me to change in my life, some are recommendations, others are not.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3839 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the 24/2.8 vs 28/2.8. Interesting discussion, but lately a matter of personal preferences. The press-crowd here used the 24/2.8 a lot for almost everything back in the film-days and it was for sure the lens of choice for "scramble-jobs" ("city-mayor at an official ribbon cutting ceremony" and stuff like this ;-).
Basically I think that except for special tasks like birding or sports a 24 or 28mm lens together with a short to medium telephoto-lens (105 might perfect for some shooters, others will prefer a slightly shorter or longer lens) will cover most needs if someone wants to go light.
The 24mm is perfect to capture something within reach of the photographer and is more than the 28mm a warrant for a steep perspective when shooting close subjects.
It's pretty easy to make a 28mm-shot not look like a wide-angle-shot, while the 24mm is already showing it's nature as super-wide (Ray, your fine Everglades-shot is an exception - it doesn't look super-widish).
Sorry for this verbal ramble.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3839 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg. I took your advice and today. I took the 24 and 28mm for the test as well as the 105 2.5 AI. They do make a great duo and cover a lot of area and subject matter.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3839 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin Have you seen this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1290504

Reagan

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Ken Hill
• •
p.3839 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, interesting that you made some subtle discoveries on the 24 2.8. I used that lens on the D7000 with great results until I acquired the 2550. The cameras DR as well as that lens being tack sharp made for some pretty terrific pictures. It is good for landscape across the entire frame.

Sooner or later I'd like to get Robin to use manual focus lenses. That will be the one to start her out on with her D7000 the other one will be the 35 2.8. This combination will give her the equivalent of a 35mm & 50mm FX.

I think I've made up my mind not to sell any MF lenses and to hold onto my pro grade AFS/D. They certainly won't fetch what they're worth and they can't be replaced for twice what you would get for them now

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3839 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill wrote:
Ray, interesting that you made some subtle discoveries on the 24 2.8. I used that lens on the D7000 with great results until I acquired the 2550. The cameras DR as well as that lens being tack sharp made for some pretty terrific pictures. It is good for landscape across the entire frame.

Sooner or later I'd like to get Robin to use manual focus lenses. That will be the one to start her out on with her D7000 the other one will be the 35 2.8. This combination will give her the equivalent of a 35mm & 50mm FX.
...Show more

Yes Ken I really like both of those lenses. I agree that if Robin uses MF that 24mm 2.8 is super good on the D7000. I used it quite a bit on mine. You've been shooting up a storm here lately. Really some very good efforts especially with the 135mm

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:18 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3839 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Kevin Have you seen this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1290504

Reagan

Thanks for that... Good price!

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Ken Hill
• •
p.3839 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Noct-Nikkor-58mm-f-1-2-Ai-Noct-Nikkor-58-f1-2-AI-Noct-Nikkor-MINT-/131177898536?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1e8acfe228

Starting bid was $99.00! I wonder where it will go!

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM
LarryM
• •
p.3839 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Well folks, the day I have been dreading happened. I got real sick last week that has left me very weak and the recovery time is going to be long. All my Nikon gear is going up for sale. I am going to keep Harold and one of my 50/1.4s, but everything else is going.

Make me offers. I need to sell soon.

Kevin,

I'm also sorry to hear this news. We've talked privately in the past about how our respective health issues have affected our ability to go out shooting pictures.

I've been absent from this group for a couple of months due to my worsening heart failure. I can't carry a heavy Nikon around any more either. I've already sold my D700 and the lighter D7100 is about to go next.

I'll let you sell your gear first before offering my MF Nikkors for sale. I still have a little V1 to use until I can find an alternative system.

For the rest of you guys, your health has to be your #1 priority. Don't ever do anything to jeopardize your health. When it's gone nothing else matters.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3839 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, I used the 24mm AIS for real estate exteriors for years. I find that I can't part with any of the wide end MF Nikkors. I went through two copies of the 24 and 28 before I was satisfied. The close focus is really wonderful on both lenses...6-8 inches on the 28, and 8-10 inches on the 24. I agree about the MFD range - I personally think the 28 is best.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:12 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3839 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It saddens me to hear about folks who've spent time on this thread who for various reasons are stepping away from photography or at the least letting go of their Nikon gear. Knock on wood, despite my 72 years my body is still up to the task of using the camera gear I've accumulated over the years. I certainly wish you well Larry, as I have with Kevin too. Because of the volunteer work I do with folks approaching the end of their lives, I'm very aware that we are all vulnerable to disability. Each of the men and women with whom I've worked over the years was surprised when what had seemed a trivial problem became the thing that brought their life to an end. With the woman I'm seeing at the moment, the turned ankle during a hike eventually was seen as a harbinger of ALS. She is 51 years old but the disease has progressed to the point where she has great difficulty getting out of bed.

Gratitude is really the only response to life, even with its many challenges. But challenges do come in various ways and when that happens it is good to have support of folks who understand. We're all here sharing our love for these old lenses but along the way we've cheered one another on. I appreciate the warmth and kindness I witness here all the time. We've had births and deaths among us. And we're still pushing the shutter button. It is all good.

Today my recently acquired camera arrived. It is extremely clean and I'm very happy. This second D700 may be my last camera... who knows about such things.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:21 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3839 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^^^^^^^
Love the way you word things Curtis

Reagan

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:31 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3839 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple spring images with the 24 f2.8 NC. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Spring Carpet

Metal Pickets

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:40 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3839 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I used the 135mm f2.0 AI on a photoshoot this morning @ f2.8. I don't feel comfortable posting work photos, but it performed beautifully.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:42 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3839 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
I used the 135mm f2.0 AI on a photoshoot this morning @ f2.8. I don't feel comfortable posting work photos, but it performed beautifully.

Yes it does extremely well - I've shot it beside the new 135/2 APO Zeiss at distant subjects and wide open in the center it's nearly as sharp (which is quite the feat), but lacks contrast due to residual aberrations. Off-axis it loses sharpness to the Zeiss. Stopped down a bit it really is very very good, even at 36MP. At near MFD it loses some oomph, but it is still quite good. Many times the limiting factor has been my ability to accurately focus it - when you do nail the focus it can give some great results.

For my uses it is becoming a bit marginal, but it's still one heck of a lens - I've taken some great images with it, especially on my D800. I once bought a 135/2DC thinking it would kill the 135/2 AIS, but it did not have anything at all on the AIS - even the AF was so inconsistent that I used it in MF mode almost all the time. So the DC was sold and the AIS is still here (for now).

Some older images:

Somali Girl

NIKON D700    135mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Potlach

NIKON D700    135mm    f/2.0    1/80s    6400 ISO    -2.0 EV  

PanSTARRS

NIKON D800    135mm    f/2.0    2s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:20 AM
       3840              4046       4047       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell