Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3764      
       3766              4377       4378       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3765 #1 · p.3765 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just got back from taking some rubbish to the recycling centre .....

On the way back I passed a few wild flowers in the hedgerows ... so ...

What does any intrepid photographer do when the urge takes you and the sun is shining ......

You're so right .... you put a lens on your body ... and then perhaps re-think and put a tube on there too ....

So with the 85mm f.14 and a PN-11 .... you go shoot !!!!

Seems the only sensible thing to do ....

Steve

© Stokesey 2014

Bright yellow and full of pollen .... attractive to bees .....

NIKON D800    85mm    f/16.0    1/400s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Stokesey 2014

Stinging nettle flower buds on the main stem ... hairy .....

NIKON D800    85mm    f/16.0    1/200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3765 #2 · p.3765 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I just got word from my local USPS that my D700 from Molson FINALLY has made its way to me - 7 freakin' days in Customs So, all's well that ends well. BTW.. not Molson's fault.. USCBP had their undies in a bunch or some such event... anyways.

I now get to take it along with couple of Ai-S lenses to Toronto tomorrow. I don't know the city at all, so I don't know if it's a photographic target-rich environment like., e.g., Paris , so do any of you all up that way suggest to me where I might go for city/hottie-scapes? ?

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #3 · p.3765 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

JD, I like the framing of your first horse-portrait a lot. Nice work!

Kevin, the DoF looks just right to my eyes. Wonderful flower-close-up, love the colors.

Curtis, nice grainy take on the benches.

Ram, another cool double-exposure. Very airy and fresh looking, how does your "model" likes this image?

Jose, superbe work with your 135/2 Ais! The down on the flower is awesome.

Jay, wow, the 24 PC-E is wiiiiide. This lens is on top of my dream-list, maybe sometimes…

Ray, I really like your take on the statue.

Teodor, #1 and #3 are my favs from your latest set for your composition.

Andy, I hope the cyclone won't do any harm to you and your family/friends.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3765 #4 · p.3765 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well the sun was shining yesterday in Tampa and it was an opportunity to take pictures. Ray, Jay and I were at University and it's an interesting place to say the least. It was built at the turn of the 20th century and is very well-maintained and upgraded with some modern conveniences make it a thriving school as well as Museum.

Comments on the last six pages of posts are nearly impossible and still carry on with daily activities. Was fun to see the double exposures, the discussion on tubes which I haven't gotten into yet and of course NMFAS.

What I post today was inspired by ideas I picked up on this thread. I tried to copy from what I've learned, and yes, you might find a little bit of your inspiration in some of the shots.

© Ken Hill 2014

Where we took a break and had Orange Juice!

NIKON D800    50mm    f/8.0    1/13s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Ken Hill 2014

Old time craftmans built this !

NIKON D800    50mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Ken Hill 2014

This too!

NIKON D800    105mm    f/11.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:02 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #5 · p.3765 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

joanlvh wrote:
georgems do you have a source for your film presets that u could recommend? thanks

DF+85 1.4

Hi Joan, the film-presets (available in different "packs") I use are from "Visual Supply Co" (VSCO).
Those "packs" are available for Lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop.
Many included film-presets don't suit my taste, others work pretty well, but not for every subject.
Other software-developers like NIK for instance are offering filters to mimic film.
Georg

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 01:14 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3765 #6 · p.3765 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What do you mean Ken ..... I thought the sun always shines in Florida !!!!

Nice monochrome ...

AndI love the fish head spout .....

Nice work.

Steve

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:08 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #7 · p.3765 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
You being envious of me is absurd but a fine compliment Thank you.

Georg - a quick question if that's OK. If I were to shoot an entire roll and then send it to someone else, could they then shoot over the top of that roll to create double exposures or would everything just not line up?

I was thinking it would be interesting ... maybe I shoot a series of crazy HK backdrops and then send the roll to someone else in the world .. like yourself ... and then you shoot the roll again? Would be interesting to
...Show more

Dean, now that's a great idea! But to be honest I fear the shots wouldn't line up, even if the same camera-types (FM2 for instance) were used and an exact procedure on how to load the film would be set up.
I did all kind of stunts with film back in the 90's and early 2000's, but never tried this.

It would be very easy to send large-format-cassettes around the world, but rules are rules and 4x5-cameras not all that common among MFNG-users...

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:13 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #8 · p.3765 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, nice set from your meeting with Ray and Jay. I like especially the second and third shot. We have a real "Ratskeller" here, located in the cellar (=Keller) of the local town-hall.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:18 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #9 · p.3765 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One from today, the light was boring, but I had the opportunity to shoot a classical building from a unusual point of view:

Anatomie von georgsfoto auf Flickr
The large building is the Anatomical Institute of the local University. The building was carefully restored some years ago.
The large cylinders/barrels at top left, close to the church-spire, belong to the brewery ;-)
PC 85/2.8D, shifted some Millimeters down

PS: Had the opportunity to look through very expensive Zeiss Diascope spotting scopes from this location and was blown away. The clarity and sharpness of the view through the ocular was really something. Don't know how to calculate the equivalent of the focal-length, but it was very, very impressive.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3765 #10 · p.3765 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony, just find the place where the girls hang out and shoot away

Reagan

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ramkumar999
• •
p.3765 #11 · p.3765 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

anthonysemone wrote:
I now get to take it along with couple of Ai-S lenses to Toronto tomorrow. I don't know the city at all, so I don't know if it's a photographic target-rich environment like., e.g., Paris , so do any of you all up that way suggest to me where I might go for city/hottie-scapes? ?

My favourite spots in Toronto downtown are CN tower, Roundhouse park where you get to see old train tracks and the Steam whistle Brewery.Toronto Islands take one whole day and it isnt summer yet so that might not work.

Lakeshore Boulevard is a nice place for lot of lake photos. I would also suggest Coronation Park, China town, College street.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:44 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3765 #12 · p.3765 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Has this thread always been this insanely fast? Takes my breath away.

It is a delight to have so many new participants who've discovered the joys of shooting with these beautiful lenses. I've been singing their praises for over three and a half years, but I've learned along the way that many folks who discovered these lenses long ago still love them. I'm looking at a mint copy of the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI, a very nice copy of the 16 f/3.5 K AI and a 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI sitting on the desk in front of me. If I turned
...Show more

Curtis, I am about as addicted to pre-Ai lenses as you are (almost) and am slowly building a kit of (admittedly somewhat scuffed) pre-Ai lenses to use on my photo trips.

I own a 28mm f2 N.C Auto Nikkor (factory Ai'd), 50mm f1,4 S.C Auto Nikkor (factory Ai'd), 55mm f1,2 S.C Auto Nikkor (Ai'd by me), 105mm f2,5 P.C Auto Nikkor (factory Ai'd), a 135mm f3,5 Q Auto Nikkor (Ai'd by me) and a 135mm f2,8 Q Auto Nikkor (factory Ai'd but currently taken apart).

My 24mm f2,8 N.C Auto Nikkor is at the customs office and I will pick that up on monday, and a 135mm f3,5 Q.C Auto Nikkor (non-Ai) is on it's way to me as well. The abundance of 135mm lenses is my desire to get a good user 135mm lens in my kit. Both 135mm lenses I currently own have some issues but I got one for free and the other one for $40 plus shipping so I just ordered a 3rd for $60 shipped to my door in the hopes I can combine both f3,5 lenses to a single good and usable lens with smooth focus ring and multicoated glass.

What are your thoughts on the 200mm f4 Q.C Auto Nikkor? I see a copy on ebay from a seller not too far away. What I'm looking for is a small but sharp 200mm lens to use with tubes. The aperture of f4 is not really a drawback in this case. I know the 180 f2,8 ED Ai-S is stellar, but it's too heavy to justify a place in what is supposed to be a lightweight kit.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:45 PM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3765 #13 · p.3765 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ram, another cool double-exposure. Very airy and fresh looking, how does your "model" likes this image?

Thanks George, my wife definitely loves these interesting shots., I have promised to keep myself interesting by surprising her.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:46 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3765 #14 · p.3765 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I thought it would be fun to link the most outrageous priced mf lenses you can find.

Here's my opener, a 105/2.8 micro for A$2,343. It is new mind you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-Micro-NIKKOR-105mm-f-2-8-Lens-/111317595123?pt=AU_Lenses&hash=item19eb0bb3f3&_uhb=1

or a new Noct for A$10,618

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-Noct-NIKKOR-58mm-f-1-2-AI-S-Lens-NEW-from-Japan-miracle-/321241714354?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4acb7f8eb2&_uhb=1

Andy

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 02:07 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:00 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #15 · p.3765 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

ramkumar999 wrote:
Thanks George, my wife definitely loves these interesting shots., I have promised to keep myself interesting by surprising her.

Way to go ;-)

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:00 PM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3765 #16 · p.3765 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have a question to the Nikon 35mm f2.8 PC or similar lens users. Are there non AI versions or are all of them AI?
Can all versions be mounted on my D600 without breaking anything?

Also found a rough looking 180mm f2.8 ED AIS on ebay selling for a buy it now of $180.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-180mm-F-2-8-ED-Ai-Lens-/281306855403?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item417f31f7eb

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3765 #17 · p.3765 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ramkumar999 wrote:
I have a question to the Nikon 35mm f2.8 PC or similar lens users. Are there non AI versions or are all of them AI?
Can all versions be mounted on my D600 without breaking anything?

Hi Ram, I have the latest version of the PC 35/2.8 ("black knob") and it works just fine. There's a notice in the Nikon manuals about incompatible lenses and the older PC 35/2.8 (PC 35/3.5 too) is listed. I have no clue if any damage can be done by mounting those old lenses to modern DSLR'S, but I don't try.

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:26 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3765 #18 · p.3765 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A little love for the 28mm 2.8 AIS. I noted a few things while using this lens yesterday. The lens is very light and unobtrusive with a great focus throw. Form where I was to bringing the photo in focus was fast and easy. With the D600 you get a full view of the photo and I was impressed at the sharpness of this lens. The colors were well saturated. The coloring has a little bluer tone than the 24mm 2.8 AIS that I had previously. I think this lens fills a nice gap in between my 20mm 3.5 and 35mm 1.4 but won't replace either one. Lestor I tried to find the perfect setting for a close-up with a wide angle but I couldn't find the perfect shot to really show it off. Curtis I can see why you like this focal length it is very nice on full frame when you don't want to carry both a 20mm and a 35mm in your bag.
Here are some photos from yesterday in downtown Tampa.

at 2.8

at F8

at F11

Come on all of you 28mm 2.8 AIS owners, lets see your love!!!!!

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:41 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3765 #19 · p.3765 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
...What are your thoughts on the 200mm f4 Q.C Auto Nikkor? I see a copy on ebay from a seller not too far away. What I'm looking for is a small but sharp 200mm lens to use with tubes. The aperture of f4 is not really a drawback in this case. I know the 180 f2,8 ED Ai-S is stellar, but it's too heavy to justify a place in what is supposed to be a lightweight kit.

Love your enthusiasm Buddy. Clearly, you're much more of an adventurer than i am with your lens rebuilding. I bought two copies of two pre-AI lenses with the intention of swapping aperture rings on each set but then chickened out and had a camera technician at a local shop do it. I kept reading about frozen screws and needing to use a soldering iron to break them loose. I need a soldering iron like I need a hole in my head...

With regard to the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI I'm smitten with the lens. The AI-s version is a very fine lens but like the 135 f/2.8 AI it is a smaller form factor than the earlier Q.C. lens. Especially with long lenses, having a bit more weight and size helps if one is hand holding. The 200 Q.C. is really a joy to hand hold and it performs beautifully with or without tubes. Here's a photo I posed last year taken with this lens and a 36mm Vivitar extension tube attached.

I'd assumed when I began this adventure that I needed to buy the most recent lenses with updated optics and coatings. Of course, as has been mentioned by Samy and Jose above, the older lenses are equally interesting and worthwhile. I love how the older lenses render images. If you can pick up a copy of the 200 Q.C. my guess is you won't be disappointed. And yes, kit building is FOREVER...

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:41 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3765 #20 · p.3765 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Totally sucks. I have a two hour lunch today and although I had my camera sitting on the table next to my lunch, I forgot it. With the weather being as nice as it has been, and with the recent rain, the campus is beautiful and green. Hope to shoot some this weekend.

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password