Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3756      
       3758              4307       4308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3757 #1 · p.3757 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
And here I thought WE WERE a mutual admiration society... Of course, the admirations comes not for prowess with a camera, but of a more human kind. I've really enjoyed getting to know the folks who stay with this thread, you included my friend. There is a line in a radio show called Prairie Home Companion when Garrison Keillor describes his hometown Lake Wobegone "where all the children are above average..." I feel that way about the folks who commit themselves to this particular corner of cyberspace and this particular brand of shooting... MF with old lenses often relegated
...Show more

It's also interesting to note how much these MF Nikkors are also loved among the film making community of the world.

On any film making / video forum you will also see a lot of love for these lenses and they are spoken very highly of. Lots of great short films and doco type clips get made with these lenses adapted to a myriad of cameras especially with the Metaboosters.

Nikon did a good job and they continue to be used in preference to the latest and greatest

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:42 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3757 #2 · p.3757 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
Depends on the lens, the price (including shipping and import duties) and the pictures.

If it is a lens I really want and have high expectations of I don't wish to take chances. A bad buy would have a negative impact on the way I feel about the lens, even if I find a good copy later on.

If the price is low enough I'm willing to take the risk in some cases though. Worst that can happenis that I end up with an expensive body cap for one of my manual Nikon bodies

Chuhs1,

Adding and agreeing to Buddy's remarks; some homework is always necessary. I passed on a "180 ED" lens after seeing the serial number and no Ai-S cut on the mounting. I notified the seller after checking the serial number and it was pulled and later had its description corrected as an Ai. It remained at the same BIN offering price however.

Have you seen this very good site:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3757 #3 · p.3757 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - wonderful buy.

Maybe my remarks on "Mutual admiration" were misunderstood and I'll clarify. I think it is great to be positive about an image you really admire but I don't think one should feel bound to respond to positives.

I love being complimented when I have taken a really good pic but sometimes one feels obliged to return a compliment. I think one should only comment sincerely and hope that I only receive sincere comments.

Frankly, IMO it's better to reserve comments before making statements on technique, focus or dirt on the sensor.

Congrats on the new lens it looks like a humdinger. By comparison mine is a down and out poor relation sleeping under a bridge.

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:22 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3757 #4 · p.3757 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Peter and I agree with you completely. I got so lucky on buying this lens, so to celebrate Jay, Ken and Robin and I are going to Tampa to take photos tomorrow

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:39 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3757 #5 · p.3757 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

chuhsi1 wrote:
Q about buying mf nikon lenses from ebay...would you buy a lens from someone that really doesn't know about lenses?

For example, a seller that sells a bunch of random stuff and happens to also have an old nikon lens. It's hard to get a sense of defects like unsmooth focus, fungus, major lens scratches, etc.

The lens that I just bought is a lens from a seller who was not "camera" dealer and it turned out great. Study the photos and if you are not satisfied message the person for more photos or information. You need to know exactly what you are bidding on

Ray

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:49 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3757 #6 · p.3757 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sometimes I HATE the internet! I was just about to hit the confirm button on a 35mm 1.4 AIS when I lost the connection.

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:33 PM
dhamments
• •
p.3757 #7 · p.3757 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice one Ray! I think my 28 f2. ais is currently my favourite MF lens, although that may change when the 135 and 24mm Curtis shipped me arrive!

Cheers and good light,
David

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.3757 #8 · p.3757 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Sometimes I HATE the internet! I was just about to hit the confirm button on a 35mm 1.4 AIS when I lost the connection.

I think I was bidding on that one. My max bid was $341 and it sold today for $346

Gregg

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:52 PM
sssettlejr

p.3757 #9 · p.3757 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow! I wish I had found this website sooner in my learning process. I just bought a 80-200mm f/4.5 for 55 bucks and so far I love it. Does anyone recommend a x2 teleconverter with it? Has anybody used the TC-201 or 200?

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:34 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3757 #10 · p.3757 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Thanks Georg, about how I feel about the image. I have some ideas I want to try out to get that 3-dimensional feel.

Kevin, my personal way to get something like a 3D-feel is to shoot against the light (side-light works pretty well too). No need to use a super-shallow DoF or something.
For closeups like flowers-images or still-lifes a small remote-flash/strobe or even a well placed shaving mirror is more than enough in terms of backlight.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.3757 #11 · p.3757 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Fons, your flower-shots with the 85/1.4 are wonderful, especially #1. Great use of the super-shallow Depth-of-Field.

Buddy, congrats to your 80-200-repair! The framing esp. of #2 is great.

Ken, I like the framing of your Hillsboro-river-images a lot.

John, I like the blue-only-images of your burner (afterburner for your Mr. Coffee?) a bit more, but the more colorful latest shot is great too. What kind of WB-setting was needed to get those colors?

Flow71, welcome! Love the moody street, nicely compressed with the 180/2.8.

Rafael, what a generous offer! You guys make me want a S or SC 55/1.2 too as partner of my lat Ai 55/1.2, but I will resist for now ;-)

Ken, the jets behind the clouds are still my favs from your plane-series.

Lestor, I like the 50/1.8E's rendering of the conifer-shot. B&W is a great choice for many more graphical images.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3757 #12 · p.3757 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
The lens that I just bought is a lens from a seller who was not "camera" dealer and it turned out great. Study the photos and if you are not satisfied message the person for more photos or information. You need to know exactly what you are bidding on

Ray

Good photos about the product will be a good start for you as you can observe the external defects. You can also ask questions if there are any other defects in the glass. Most sellers are willing to help answer the question to their best knowledge.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3757 #13 · p.3757 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two more shots from today, sorry for all the colors:

135/2 Ais wide open

bunte Kutter von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Nikkor-H Auto 85/1.8, Kodak-Ektar-preset

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3757 #14 · p.3757 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here you go
pre -AI

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1286709

R

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3757 #15 · p.3757 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
Today I decided to give my 80-200 f4 Ai-S a spin after I repaired a stuck aperture ring on the lens. I bought it in 2001 and used it wide open ever since because the aperture ring wouldn't budge. A few days ago I was finally brave enough to take the lens apart and find a dented main tube. I carefully mended the misaligned area with a pair of hammers and re assembled the lens to find the aperture ring work fine now.

To celebrate the event I stuck the lens to a PK-13 tube.

Buddy, You are brave of heart, I have heard that the zooms are the hardest to work on and it is very cool that you can work on these lenses! Well Done with beautiful results!

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:17 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3757 #16 · p.3757 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Loving the colors, Georg!

georgms wrote:
Two more shots from today, sorry for all the colors:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/13748987733_cb8d2b0028_o.jpg
135/2 Ais wide open

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/13748986273_fc48b3f1ce_o.jpg
bunte Kutter von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Nikkor-H Auto 85/1.8, Kodak-Ektar-preset

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:18 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3757 #17 · p.3757 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Craig, these are excellent food images! I'd be curious about your 85 f1.4 versus the 85 f2 comparisons. When you shoot the 85mm f2 at f2 - f2.8 - I suppose the number of iris blades just doesn't matter anymore, because the iris opening is essentially round at that point.

craigjohn wrote:
A couple more from a food shoot with the Nikkor 85mm f/2 AIS

It's amazing how much detail is in the high res file of the pasta salad, even though the lens was wide open. If anyone says this lens is lifeless and dull is silly - it's loaded with character. ...Bjorn.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:26 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3757 #18 · p.3757 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, it looks exciting in your neighborhood.
Thanks Ray - and congrats on the 28 ais...one of my favorite lenses.
John, the 135 seems to excel on gradients...I really like how it rendered the flames.
Kevin, I love the submerged tree trunks/pier supports? image
Curtis, I am going to have to check my cherry trees for blossoms - those are wonderful blossoms images.
Chuong, What a colorful scene, and your children are growing so fast
Jay...is that strawberry shortcake under all that cream?
Nancy - Awesome gymnastic pic!

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:45 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3757 #19 · p.3757 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Buddy, You are brave of heart, I have heard that the zooms are the hardest to work on and it is very cool that you can work on these lenses! Well Done with beautiful results!

It's a good thing I did not hear the same thing before I took this lens apart

I just started taking it apart and indeed found it to be a bit more tricky then the primes, but not much. Didn't find any internet resources that were of any use so I decided to skip reading and start learning instead.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3757 #20 · p.3757 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

sssettlejr wrote:
Wow! I wish I had found this website sooner in my learning process. I just bought a 80-200mm f/4.5 for 55 bucks and so far I love it. Does anyone recommend a x2 teleconverter with it? Has anybody used the TC-201 or 200?

I have the late version of that lens, the AI with a rectangular baffle at the rear and I also have the TC-201 but I've never used them together. The push-pull zoom was the best in its day with fine optics. I can' t imagine it would be a problem mounting a teleconverter on it. I've used the TC-201 on the 180 f/2.8 AI-s, the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF. I wasn't happy with it on the 85 but loved how it performed on the other two lenses. From what I read it makes no difference whether you buy the 200 or 201.

Congratulations on your new/old lens and welcome to the thread. Perhaps you'll want to join the conversation. The only cost of admission is simply owning a Nikon camera and shooting with a Nikon MF lens. Have fun!

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password