FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3716      
       3718              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3717 #1 · p.3717 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, that looks like more than a few limbs were taken...

Ken Hill wrote:
Well the three pines are gone ... Tomorrow I need to take the Vette for some AUDIO work! The stump grinders are coming and the wood gets hauled away.

I made use of the "like" button a lot but comment should be made on shots by John, Ram, James, Leighton, Curtis, Georg and Samy. There are more too!

I was once told NEVER take a wide angle shot of a lady unless the camera was vertical.

The tree service needed a few good shots for their web page and business cards. These are good hard working guys and as Leighton
...Show more

May 01, 2014 at 11:37 AM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.3717 #2 · p.3717 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
Ram, congrats on the 105 f1,8. I'm not sure if I would still add a 135 f2 (that's two very big and heavy lenses) to my own kit if I already owned the other, but then again, for what you paid for the 105mm there should be some change left for the 135, and 135mm is different enough from 105 to actually own both, even if you don't bring them both along every trip

Thank you for your suggestion. I already have the nimble 135mm f2.8 Ai with me for that focal length. Weight is something that I never had bothered earlier., As I only take 2-3 lenses in each trip after planninv on what shots to take.
I am going to compare the output to the current 105mm that I have as I have been told that sample variations exist for wide open sharpness quality from 105mm f1.8

May 01, 2014 at 11:45 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3717 #3 · p.3717 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You'll have no trouble at all.

CurtisBilly wrote:
I'm thinking about a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S to go with my D700. Is it difficult to focus with this setup?

May 01, 2014 at 11:47 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3717 #4 · p.3717 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice find, Rafael, is that really a scratch and dent item that you bought, or is that just dirt of some kind? I'd love one of them too, for the 300 and 400.

rafaelcasd wrote:
Well I bought my last purchase from the Calumet store here in town, Escondido, they have had a bankruptcy sale for the last three weeks, which I am glad I missed. In the meantime I bought $1,250 in lenses, today I spent $250 in a Gimbal mount.

I have wanted one for a long time, it is hard to balance big lenses atop a ball, specially MF lenses, as you are trying to focus, zoom, pan and tilt while keeping everything upright on a top heavy, tipsy ball head.

The Gimbal sets the lens where it is hanging down and it maintains
...Show more

May 01, 2014 at 11:50 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.3717 #5 · p.3717 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Things are good, Leighton. Just have not picked up a DSLR much, and only lurking about couple times a week now on the thread. Photographically speaking the limited action has been AF, mostly m43 action. I do plan to break out the MF glass again now that spring is here.

The snow did get tiring after awhile, Laura. There's only so many shades of white I can visualize to shoot before I just stop shooting :-)

Sorry to hear about the flare up in your health again, Kevin. Now that I've actually know more about your condition based on your post, I would say maybe keep a body and one or two MF lenses for when your body does allow for exploration. OTOH, maybe we'll see more wonderful work with the Alt glass and smaller systems from you in the other thread.

And I forgot to say this in my previous post, welcome to the newer people on the thread, too many names to remember.

May 01, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3717 #6 · p.3717 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Always behind the curve ..... that's me ....

For the last days many have been showing and demonstrating their skill with the 135mm ...

So I finally got to put mine on the camera ...... 135mm Q

Only to find that everyone is now talking about the 28mm f2.8 ....

Oh well ....

Here are a few from this morning ....

I think we might get rose flowers this year .... but the hungry beastie might eat them all up before flowering.

135mm f3.5 Nikkor Q with PN-11

Steve

Stokesey 2014

Will we get Rose flowers this year ??

NIKON D800    135mm    f/11.0    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Stokesey 2014

Spannish Bluebells ....

NIKON D800    135mm    f/4.0    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Stokesey 2014

Bleeding Heart Flowers ....

NIKON D800    135mm    f/3.5    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 01, 2014 at 12:09 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3717 #7 · p.3717 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve, very nice and natural colors on your set above!

May 01, 2014 at 12:13 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3717 #8 · p.3717 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two from this mid-morning:

1. Mai auf dem Golfplatz: stolz weht die rote Fahne... von georgsfoto auf Flickr
red flag on International Workers' Day at the golf-court, yes that's my neighborhood too
Ais 400/3.5 IF-ED at f/5.6, cropped quite a bit

A Shantychoir performing for tourists and "natives" like me - PC 85/2.8D

May 01, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3717 #9 · p.3717 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice blaze of yellow on your first pic Georg ...

But I do like your Shantychoir .... great monochrome rendering ... full of character ....

Ken I think your rationale on choosing the tree surgeon is a good one for us all to follow ....

Dave .... your sunset pix are brilliant ... monochrome is awesome, but the colour one is outstanding, that slash of colour throughout the steely blue skies is so dramatic ....

Phillipe .... perhaps a little more water with your tipple ....

Curtis .... shy do you need an excuse to get a good looking woman in the shot ... Reagan doesn't .... nice pix from Holland too btw

Steve

May 01, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3717 #10 · p.3717 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, #2 is a truly inspiring picture; framing, composition, expression on the gentlemen's face, PP, are all fine. Well done.

May 01, 2014 at 01:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3717 #11 · p.3717 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Phillipe .... perhaps a little more water with your tipple ....

Steve

man, never add water to Cognac !

May 01, 2014 at 01:23 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3717 #12 · p.3717 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve and Philippe - thanks for your kind words!

May 01, 2014 at 01:30 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3717 #13 · p.3717 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Nice find, Rafael, is that really a scratch and dent item that you bought, or is that just dirt of some kind? I'd love one of them too, for the 300 and 400.

It was brand new on the package Laura, the marks are a surface casting defect on the metal enhanced by the flash, it was a bankruptcy sale for the closing of the store, hence the low price.

May 01, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3717 #14 · p.3717 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
man, never add water to Cognac !

Fair comment Phillipe ....

I can find it in my heart to agree with that sentiment !!!!

Enjoy another glass then ..... Louis XIII perhaps ??

Steve

May 01, 2014 at 02:11 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3717 #15 · p.3717 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Always behind the curve ..... that's me ....

For the last days many have been showing and demonstrating their skill with the 135mm ...

So I finally got to put mine on the camera ...... 135mm Q

Only to find that everyone is now talking about the 28mm f2.8 ....

Oh well ....

Here are a few from this morning ....

I think we might get rose flowers this year .... but the hungry beastie might eat them all up before flowering.

135mm f3.5 Nikkor Q with PN-11

Steve

Steve, that is some excellent work with the small and light 135 f3,5.

I own the Q and Q.C versions and the Q.C will travel with me this weekend.

With plenty of light this is an amazing sharp and fairly distortion free lens.

May 01, 2014 at 02:31 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3717 #16 · p.3717 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The best saw I ever had is a Jonsered. Which I believe is the same manufacturer as Husqvarna.
georgms wrote:
Ken, nice story and shots from the chainsaw-massacre in your backyard ;-) Stihl is for sure a fantastic chainsaw-brand, but I've heard good things about Husqvarna too (especially the older models).

May 01, 2014 at 02:42 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3717 #17 · p.3717 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Couldn't say it better...

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Georg, #2 is a truly inspiring picture; framing, composition, expression on the gentlemen's face, PP, are all fine. Well done.

May 01, 2014 at 02:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3717 #18 · p.3717 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

basilisk wrote:
Curtis (W) - I am sure the 28mm f2.8 AIS is a fine, and good value lens. If your money can stretch, I would consider the f2 AIS version as well. It was a premium lens in its day (apparently 920 before inflation), and I picked one up for 220. Apart from the extra cost, there doesn't seem to be any downside. It is still much more compact than its modern equivalent, the AF-S 28mm f1.8G, and shares the 52mm filter thread with the 50s, 85 f2, 105 f2.5 and 135 f2.8 etc. The extra stop buys you significant extra
...Show more

Well said and a valuable contribution. I agree the 28 f/2 AI-s is a step up from its slower companion. I found the extra stop valuable when shooting in the underground cisterns in Istanbul. It was also a wonderful walk around lens.

So yes, Curtis W., if you can afford an extra one or two hundred dollars, this is not a bad lens to try. But the f/2.8 is by any measure not a waste of money. Kit building is forever, so you can trust the fact if one lens strikes your fancy, another will. That is why I have a 28 f/2.8 AI-s, 28 f/2 AI-s AND a 28 f/3.5 H AI...

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2014 at 03:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3717 #19 · p.3717 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Received a PM this morning from our friend David in West Australia reporting the two lenses I sent him, one from Reagan, the 24 f/2.8 AI-s and one I bought on his behalf, a PRISTEEN copy of a 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI, ARRIVED yesterday. Shipping First Class International can be a bit nerve wracking because there is no tracking available and no insurance can be bought... but the price is rock bottom and every package I've sent has arrived safely. One also needs considerable patience because they seem to send it by horseback and sailing ship. Sent on April 4 and delivered to him on April 30. Phew! It did arrive.

We'll be looking for photos David...

May 01, 2014 at 03:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3717 #20 · p.3717 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
Couldn't say it better...

+3

We are blessed to have quite a few very talented photographers on this thread but Georg brings a rather unique skill set to the conversation. Not only does he love these lenses, he is a photo journalist whose work takes him to the streets every day where he has license to shoot folks engaged in their lives. With a refined eye for composition and considerable skill in post processing, Georg produces engaging work he regularly shares with us. Add the fact that Georg so generously shares his observations with others on the thread and you have an ideal companion with whom to share this adventure. Thanks Georg... you're the man...

May 01, 2014 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password