1       2       3              3715      
       3717              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3716 #1 · p.3716 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
A piece or crop of my photo shoot from the other day. The 135mm f2.0 when it hits critical focus is wonderful... this is at f2.8

http://www.photomatter.com/_images/eye2.jpg

Yep - as I said in an earlier post it's pretty darned good wide open (and even more stopped down a notch), but can lack some contrast (sometimes that's good, others not so much). I've found that it's actually better at infinity than it is at MFD (which can be kind of long in some instances).
Quite amazing for a lens design first introduced to the Nikon world in 1975.

Though the Zeiss APO is calling my name, I find it really hard to think about parting with this lens after each time I use it. There are folks like Ronny that really make this lens sing.

May 01, 2014 at 02:36 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3716 #2 · p.3716 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, this, and one other one, look like the aspect ratio is off a bit when you resampled them smaller.

Lieutenant Z wrote:
105 2.5 ais :

May 01, 2014 at 03:21 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.3716 #3 · p.3716 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DF+16mm

police funeral

May 01, 2014 at 03:28 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3716 #4 · p.3716 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, at the end of the day, the image below is how I feel... At this time in my life, I would love to be doing nothing more than turning the focus ring with my left hand and pressing the shutter button with my right index finger.. I expect to have a little bit more free time over the summer at least.

CGrindahl wrote:
Laura, congratulations. I am in awe of you for heading back to school at this time in your life. I'm afraid if I had to concentrate like that my mind would melt. Give me the simple life... turn the focusing ring, snap the aperture in place and press the shutter button...

This Is How I Really Feel

May 01, 2014 at 03:31 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3716 #5 · p.3716 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good to see you weren't buried by "the snow"

pbraymond wrote:
I've been in lurker mode for almost a couple of months now .... nothing pictorial to contribute just yet, just saying "Hi" and kudos on great pics, great gear, and other noteworthy accomplishments!

Ray

May 01, 2014 at 03:33 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3716 #6 · p.3716 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It's amazing how well an old brain can cope

ok, sitting here alone in the house, thought there was a cat behind me on the chair cause something was touching my hair. there is no cat back there

May 01, 2014 at 03:34 AM
CurtisBilly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3716 #7 · p.3716 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm thinking about a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S to go with my D700. Is it difficult to focus with this setup?

May 01, 2014 at 03:56 AM
davidthejr
• •
p.3716 #8 · p.3716 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, and a quite a bit has happened! Got a good deal on a friends D7000 and Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 combo so I sold my D90. But I kept my 50mm Series E! The following photo is a shot from this little guys birthday party I shot a week or so ago, most of which i used the 17-50mm, but I threw on the 50mm towards the end! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this thread a little bit...that is if you all except prodigals back...

C&C always welcome!

May 01, 2014 at 04:15 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3716 #9 · p.3716 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well I bought my last purchase from the Calumet store here in town, Escondido, they have had a bankruptcy sale for the last three weeks, which I am glad I missed. In the meantime I bought $1,250 in lenses, today I spent $250 in a Gimbal mount.

I have wanted one for a long time, it is hard to balance big lenses atop a ball, specially MF lenses, as you are trying to focus, zoom, pan and tilt while keeping everything upright on a top heavy, tipsy ball head.

The Gimbal sets the lens where it is hanging down and it maintains its position same as a pendulum, by having the center of gravity lower than the pivot point. The lens can be mounted exactly at its center of gravity with an extra long foot.

This is a Calument brand Gimbal, but it is very very smooth in panning and tilting, very happy with it.

Now I can focus better, not having to hold the heavy rig upright.

nikon nikkor 135mm 2.0 D800 photo of D3 with 400mm 3.5 and gimbal by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Not this top heavy, unbalanced, uglyness

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 tc300 tc201 tc 14 D800 moon shot D3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now I can follow the dancers smoothly

nikon nikkor 50-300mm 4.5 ais D800 ISO 3200 Nations of San Diego Dance Festival by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Or the Moon

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 ais TC300 TC 201 blood moon by Rafael CA, on Flickr

I was very pleased with how accurate and fast my fingers focus when not balancing weight on a ball head. The panning and tilting is also very very smooth, not jerky like on the ball head.

This is the 400mm 3.5 on the Gimbal pointed at a neighbor's house, just as sharp at 3.5 as at any other aperture on the D3.

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 ais D3 Neighbor's house @ 3.5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 05:32 AM · View previous versions

May 01, 2014 at 04:42 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3716 #10 · p.3716 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CurtisBilly wrote:
I'm thinking about a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S to go with my D700. Is it difficult to focus with this setup?

Are you taking my name in vain?

But a serious question deserves a serious response. If your eyesight is decent, you'll have no difficulty using that lens with that camera. I bought a 28 f/2.8 AI-s shortly before a trip to the Netherlands in 2010, just about the time I started this thread. I was being very daring taking only five MF lenses on that trip. Amazingly, the 28 f/2.8 AI-s ended up being the most used lens and it performed beautifully. I was shooting with a D700 and really had not had much experience shooting with MF lenses for decades before I bought this lens. Honestly, the depth of field is so wide you can almost use the lens like a point and shoot. Of course, as many on this thread have found, shooting close and wide open can be a delight with this lens.

Here are a few photos taken with that lens almost four years ago in the Netherlands.

May 01, 2014 at 04:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CurtisBilly
• •
p.3716 #11 · p.3716 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Are you taking my name in vain?

Just shaking what my mama gave me!

Thanks for the shots from the Netherlands and encouragement that there's enough DOF.

Also, I love wide angle and up close shots.

May 01, 2014 at 05:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3716 #12 · p.3716 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome Curtis or Billy or both if that is what you use. I was Curtis when born but needed a nickname and became Curt for many years. I returned to Curtis as an adult but I always wished they'd given me my grandfather's name... Christopher. But it was not to be.

Buy a manual focus lens and you'll discover what this world is all about. There are a great many folks spending time on this thread who have great affection of these lenses. Trust me... you'll get the hang of it once you've given it a try. Have fun!

May 01, 2014 at 06:19 AM
CurtisBilly
• •
p.3716 #13 · p.3716 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I go by Curtis. My middle name is William, hence the screen name. As a boy my nickname was Curt, but it morphed back to Curtis at my first job out of college. Thanks for the warm welcome.

May 01, 2014 at 06:30 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3716 #14 · p.3716 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You've been around FM for quite some time. I think it is time to get serious Curtis. Buy some MF glass and come hang out with us. We're having a great time on this thread, largely because these lenses are so wonderful to shoot with. 175 posts in NINE years just won't cut it... The price of entry is no mare than the cost of a very inexpensive lens. You should be able to pick up a 28 f/2.8 AI-s for less than $250. Happy shopping!

May 01, 2014 at 06:56 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3716 #15 · p.3716 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice to see another Curtis here

28mm is a fine focal length. It is the focal length that actually got me posting in this thread. I bought a 28mm f2,8 Ai after my first post here, and even though I already owned a bunch of MF lenses from my days shooting film on an FM2 camera the 28mm on a D300 really inspired me again.

Reading along and looking at many fine photographs posted in this thread I bought another 7 or 8 manual focus Nikon lenses, repaired a few of th eolder ones I still had lying around and now I'm at the stage where I am working on a nice kit of MF glass to use on photo trips where everything AF stays at home and I really want to focus on composition, DoF and "pure photography" as Nikon calls it.

May 01, 2014 at 08:16 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3716 #16 · p.3716 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David, the color version of your stormy sky looks really nice. I prefer it over the B&W version.

Georg, thank you. Fluffy is the new pet in my household. I was on an assignment taking some photos from someones tarantula collection (over 200 spiders) and fell in love with the furry little critters. I started setting up a miniature biotope for one of the species from Chile and adopted this little miss last Sunday

Ken, the treefeller shots are nicely framed. I'm not a fan of the heavy processing though. To me it makes the otherwise great photos look like they were printed in a newspaper. Do you have th eoriginal files and could you post one of those for comparison reasons? I think the photos offer a lot of potential.

Ram, congrats on the 105 f1,8. I'm not sure if I would still add a 135 f2 (that's two very big and heavy lenses) to my own kit if I already owned the other, but then again, for what you paid for the 105mm there should be some change left for the 135, and 135mm is different enough from 105 to actually own both, even if you don't bring them both along every trip

May 01, 2014 at 08:16 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3716 #17 · p.3716 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Just seeing Gus like this brought that wet dog smell to my nose.... PU

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5085/14064437151_6dac59bf92_b.jpgGus by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

You could give him a full poodle clip not just the right foreleg It's the cleanest part of the dog!

May 01, 2014 at 08:37 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.3716 #18 · p.3716 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have been looking for something like that for my 300/4 AFS + TC-17EII (500mm equiv to use with the D610 while shooting surf) but the prices in Europe don't match the US prices at all! That exact model you mention costs 470 USD in the UK, for example!

rafaelcasd wrote:
Well I bought my last purchase from the Calumet store here in town, Escondido, they have had a bankruptcy sale for the last three weeks, which I am glad I missed. In the meantime I bought $1,250 in lenses, today I spent $250 in a Gimbal mount.

I have wanted one for a long time, it is hard to balance big lenses atop a ball, specially MF lenses, as you are trying to focus, zoom, pan and tilt while keeping everything upright on a top heavy, tipsy ball head.

The Gimbal sets the lens where it is hanging down and it maintains
...Show more

May 01, 2014 at 09:36 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3716 #19 · p.3716 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Ken - Really like the last one with the blue sky behind the tree guy.

David - Although your last set was nothing short of fantastic, I like the third image in this one with the grass and bokeh. Well seen.

David L - Good to see you again, the 50/1.8 is a nice little lens.

Laura - You're creeping me out a little.

Curtis William - Welcome! The 28/2.8 AIS is one of those MUST haves if you're gonna get into the world of MF lenses. Looking forward to seeing your work with it.

Rafael - Congrats on the lens, maybe you ought to buy Calumet out from bankruptcy and start your own Camera store dedicated to MF shooters.

May 01, 2014 at 09:49 AM
basilisk

p.3716 #20 · p.3716 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis (W) - I am sure the 28mm f2.8 AIS is a fine, and good value lens. If your money can stretch, I would consider the f2 AIS version as well. It was a premium lens in its day (apparently 920 before inflation), and I picked one up for 220. Apart from the extra cost, there doesn't seem to be any downside. It is still much more compact than its modern equivalent, the AF-S 28mm f1.8G, and shares the 52mm filter thread with the 50s, 85 f2, 105 f2.5 and 135 f2.8 etc. The extra stop buys you significant extra background blur from close to medium distance, and I always like to feel I am getting some speed advantage over using an f2.8 zoom lens. Like the f2.8 it also has the close focus correction element, which makes it one of the best closeup lenses of the non-micro AIS range.

May 01, 2014 at 09:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password