1       2       3              3655      
       3657              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3656 #1 · p.3656 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Andy, very cool place to visit for historic scenery, including the barber

Rafael, that 2240 contraption is out of this world. I remember seeing that moon image before and that's exactly how I remember seeing the craters through my now dusty and unused Celestron telescope years ago. With being forced into that low a shutter speed by the dark red moon, you may be well past what even your very sturdy tripod setup can handle. Nevertheless, its great seeing the blood moon through your, Ram, Curtis, Steve, Peter and Mike's pics.

Flo from Austria, loved that street scene outside Babington's Tea Rooms that Scott reposted.

Ronny, that's your daughter right? What a lovely portrait, she will be glad her dad has this expensive hobby Is that the new 50 1.2 you were going to get? I had a feeling it would fit your style perfectly!

Curtis, glad the flowers in California got you reconnected! They are a pleasure and an inspiration to use the manual Nikkors! Now where did I put those extension tubes that I haven't even thought of since last summer

Dean, great colors in the pic of your friends with the Fuji 800! And of the guy with the yakuza complex.

Gia, the S5 must be the Fuji right? It would be not exactly difficult to write software that can read any focal length or aperture that one types in for non-CPU lenses, rather than these discrete numbers. That means I end up using 86mm for my 90mm Summicron, and an aperture of 3.3 for the 180 3.4 Apo Telyt. And I like the Bluetooth idea too!

Scott, thanks for the comment on the row of trees in NYC. I don't understand this desert island discussion at all, I hate making choices like that. I foolishly lugged around a heavy backpack full of lenses through 2 museums, and ended up using only 2 for the main part.

Ray, very nice demo of the 20 3.5 AIS, including the sunstar!! And of Ken walking away from you That's a very picturesque hallway and captured in very nice light.

Nuno, love the little blue flowers peeking through the grass, and your dog peeking through the wild mop of fur on its forehead!

Peter from Madison, it was supposed to snow here in Maryland too late yesterday night, fortunately I slept through it and its bright and sunny this early April morning, although cold

Michael from the Leica R thread, you need to get more manual Nikkor glass!!! Great portraits of your son with the wide open 50 AIS. Your style will fit superbly with those lenses! I recommend the 35 1.4 (any version), the 85 1.4 AIS and the 135 f2 AI/AIS for starters

Reagan, one ***never*** sells the 135 f2!!! Just look at those pics you posted!

Ken, I loved that "optimism can save the world" pic! Great set. And enjoyed the Picadilly princess, with the contrast between the pink shoes and the twin machine guns under the cockpit bubble.

Laura, nice snow/tulip macro! Hope this is the last blast of winter for this season.

Ram, the 20 minutes before Penumbra full moon is really well done!

Ben, another new participant here? Welcome, and very nice pics, both of the bear and the baby

David, thanks for the surfer view

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.3656 #2 · p.3656 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Samy, that photo is getting a little bit of attention on 500px since I uploaded it a few hours ago...

Here for those who would like to have a look, I quite like the colors on it and the nice bokeh the 105/2.5 Ai produces.

http://500px.com/photo/67194063/

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3656 #3 · p.3656 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lestor, thanks for posting that stepwise howto on AI conversion of the 200mm lens! May just have to try a conversion some day.

A few more from NYC.

A station sign on the NYC subway. Taken with the 55 1.2 S. Would have been a good test scene to resolve once and for all which lens has more character; this one or the 50 1.2 AIS.

NYCSubwaySign_BnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Ubiquitous fire escapes in the city. Also 55 1.2 S.

FireEscapes_BnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And one from the Metropolitan Museum of Art with the same lens.

Battle_BnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3656 #4 · p.3656 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More from the museums.

55 1.2 S tries its hand on a Monet, adding barrel distortion to the masterpiece.

MonetAtTheMet by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And a couple with the 35 f2 OC at the Museum of Natural History,

NativeAmericanExhibit by maryland_photos, on Flickr

SouthAmericanStructure by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3656 #5 · p.3656 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
A station sign on the NYC subway. Taken with the 55 1.2 S. Would have been a good test scene to resolve once and for all which lens has more character; this one or the 50 1.2 AIS.

What? are you trying to start a war here on MF ?

loved the sign though

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3656 #6 · p.3656 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice work everybody, will come back later to comment on some posts.

Two spare-time-killing-shots from today, both taken with the 20/3.5 Ais in the old town of my hometown:

20/3.5 Ais at f/22 - had to remove a ton of dust-bunnies, lots of specks still visible
I rarely shoot at smaller aperture-values than f5.6 (most f/1.4 - f/4) and get shocked by the amount of dust only once in a while, when doing stuff like above.
No you know my Easter-chores: sensor-cleaning, sensor-cleaning, sensor-cleaning

lotsa pipes inside of the church - f/11, I'm not really happy with the framing again

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3656 #7 · p.3656 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I might be mad but despite the d800e being a great camera, I don't do much landscapes anymore, I don't print huge and I don't need 36mp. I just don't love the camera.

I have just sold it (and the 80-200 af-d and 28-70 af-s) and bought another d700 (my 3rd, $900 australian) and more Nikkor Mf lenses - the good stuff : 35/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/1.8 and a 135/2 all in mint condition. Added to the 28/2.8 ais, 50/1.8 ais and 180/2.8 ED ais my MF range will be almost complete. Reckon there might be enough left in the pot for a 20/3.5 UD.

Will I regret it ? Time will tell ! It was the only way I could fund the glass anyways and the d700 is still IMO a great camera. tbh I'm still hankering after something with a little more than 12mp, 24 being the sweet spot i reckon but in a d700/d800 body.

Your thoughts ?

Andy

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3656 #8 · p.3656 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Andy, don't want to start anything except more interest in these lenses :0

Georg, I like the sunstars, and the organ pipes! And good use of spare time!

Andy, congrats on adding to the manual Nikkor collection! Seems you are set, for now! You won't regret any one of those purchases.

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:12 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.3656 #9 · p.3656 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Guys, yesterday I received my newest acquisition, the 105/2.5 Ai and with it come also a 24/2.8 Ai since the owner would only sell it as a pack of two lenses. Both of them are in mint condition.

Since I already own one 24/2.8 Ai, I want to sell it to someone that will give it good use. I was wondering what is the resale value of the 24/2.8 Ai in Europe and would it be best to put it on sale on eBay UK (I live in Sweden)?

Thanks for your advice!

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:23 PM
dhamments
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3656 #10 · p.3656 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
I might be mad but despite the d800e being a great camera, I don't do much landscapes anymore, I don't print huge and I don't need 36mp. I just don't love the camera.

I have just sold it (and the 80-200 af-d and 28-70 af-s) and bought another d700 (my 3rd, $900 australian) and more Nikkor Mf lenses - the good stuff : 35/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/1.8 and a 135/2 all in mint condition. Added to the 28/2.8 ais, 50/1.8 ais and 180/2.8 ED ais my MF range will be almost complete. Reckon there might be enough left in the pot for
...Show more

Hi Andy, I admire your practicality! I've been struggling with a desire for a higher resolution body to replace (or supplement) my D700, but Im having so much fun with it that I can't really justify the cost here in Oz. I use my D7100 for higher resolution and reach but those 36 megapixels are like a siren call.

Most of the used D800's I've seen here are at least $2000 and I'm not sure I want to spend that much for the jump in resolution with all of its caveats. Not sure why you need 3 D700's? Do you use more than two at a time? I'm also jealous that you've been able to find that fine set of f1.4's and the 135 f2 (all lenses that I covet as well) here in Australia.... did you find them on e-Bay? I'm returning to Canada for the summer and if I see a used D800 at a reasonable price, I'll probably have to give it a go.... who knows, I may come to the same conclusion as you, but I have to see for myself (sometimes I think I have more money than brains). Good luck with your new kit, I look forward to more delightful renderings from those fine lenses!

Cheers and good light,
David

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3656 #11 · p.3656 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:

I have just sold it (and the 80-200 af-d and 28-70 af-s) and bought another d700 (my 3rd, $900 australian) and more Nikkor Mf lenses - the good stuff : 35/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/1.8 and a 135/2 all in mint condition. Added to the 28/2.8 ais, 50/1.8 ais and 180/2.8 ED ais my MF range will be almost complete. Reckon there might be enough left in the pot for
...Show more

I have some thoughts Andy... You have it BAD! And that is GOOD...

That's the kind of kit building that deserves some...

Well done Andy. I've said enough about my problems with the D800 I really don't need to say more on the subject. Yes, 24 megapixels would be nice and I may pick up a D600 at some point but until then the D700 feels good in my hands and still produces stellar images. Happy shooting. All I ask is that you give us a family portrait of your new lenses. The one photo I think we can accept taken with an AF lens is a photo that shows ALL of your MF lenses. I don't see any other way of getting there...

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3656 #12 · p.3656 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Comments on the lunar eclipse impossible, other than spectacular. I like the use of various ideas, lenses, apertures, shutter speeds, of the same subject on giving a slightly different perspective. So my thanks to Rafael, Mike, Lester and Curtis.

Laura I have to admit the snow on the flower really had me stumped .... I didn't know what it was! Also what you might find odd is is I never watched television in the 80s although I know who Bill Cosby is but I can't think of anything he ever said. But all is not lost I'm watching those 1980 shows on Netflix now. Thank you for the comment.

Steve thank you for your comment on the doors, unusual place and I think a good strong wind would knock it down.

Ray the garden wall shot with the starburst and shadows Is captured perfectly. I like that kind of work.

Michael I remember my grandson being mesmerized by his first train ride ... what a terrific shot and a family keeper.

Reagan, good news! KEH will be at Colonial Photo in Orlando this weekend paying top dollar for all old lenses. I'd like to go but I want to buy not sell. Just to be devilish I should bring that 55 SC with me and see what they would offer. Sure it's going to be a lot less than what they would sell the same ones for.

Ronnie the 50 mm 1.2 is a great lens and you used it at its best wide-open. Great portrait beautiful flower.

Curtis the two flowers in season that you shot plus your commenst reinforce my thinking that underexposure is the way to go. Post processing is not really a big deal anymore and I kind of look forward to it because it makes me take stock of what I shot well and what I wasted my time with. One other thought, I was at a big box store and watched the Nikon 5200 get returned. The clerk looked at it determined that it hadn't seen much use, put it all back in the box and right back out on the shelf for resale. If I bought anything from a big box store I would definitely do a shutter count within hours of purchasing.

Samy, terrific museum set. When we were in Tampa last week I copied some of your angles I don't know if you noticed. Love parallel trees along the walkway. I can count on you to capture a great angles and I want to mimic that.

Flo what a terrific shot! Colorful and cool!

Andy the silver black and rust tones/woodgrains in your last series, absolutely fabulous. I like the way you brought these things alive. Commenting on your discussion with Curtis and as a D800 and D700 ... both are great. The D700 is bulletproof and you NEVER see a refurb from Nikon. Are they that good? I wouldn't consider going into anything current except for a Df and that solely for the manageable MP.

Buddy nice bokeh from that lens good coloring.

George that pipe organ framing would be a tough decision .... Since it is in black-and-white and just for laughs put a slight vignette on it and see what it looks like. THE SUN STAR IN THE LIGHT POLE YOU GET ALL CAPS FOR THAT ONE!

Jay, the one I'm posting today is for you. It was impossible to get a better angle unless I bribed security. Enjoy!

Ken Hill 2014

Gee!

NIKON D800    28mm    f/5.6    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Apr 16, 2014 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3656 #13 · p.3656 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have followed quite a few comments about the D800 grip ....

Curtis and many others saying how it does or does not suit their hand compared to the D700.

I have both cameras .... and have now tried over the last couple of weeks to be conscious of the differences when using both at the same time.

I can honestly say it does not bother me in the slightest. I did think that with slightly longer finger nails the D800 was worse to hold closely with a tight grip, but, I am not that convinced ... and then if it were problem in real terms I would have to trim the nails ...

I love the resolution of the D800 ... and the colour rendition, it seems deeper somehow ..... but the D700 is staying in the fold, because it is a solid work-horse and when I need lower resolution, for instance for web based product shots it is easier to handle the smaller files.

Anyway that is my 2 pennies worth .... IMHO

Great to have a forum to express personal preferences, good or bad ....

Cheers
Steve

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3656 #14 · p.3656 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We had some clear sky earlier this morning and it seemed to bring out the flowers and the flying creatures ....

So I donned the tubes and the 180mm and went a-hunting ...

I will drop some in to the tubes thread on Macro World too ....

D800 + PN-11 + 2 x PK13

Hand held ..... should have used a tripod for some ....

Steve

Stokesey 2014

Grape Hyacinth ...

NIKON D800    180mm    f/8.0    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Stokesey 2014

Red Tulip bud ready to flower

NIKON D800    180mm    f/2.8    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Stokesey 2014

A pollen worker sucking it up in the sun !!

NIKON D800    180mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:10 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3656 #15 · p.3656 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:

...Show more

I don't think you went wrong. I looked at the D800 before I bought my D600, but those huge RAW files kept me from getting one. Not to mention that you need to be very good at your technique in capturing images. The 24MP's of the D600 is perfect in my opinion.

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3656 #16 · p.3656 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The moon was setting as the sun was coming up this morning during chores. Taken with the 50-135mm.

Moonset at Sunrise by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:16 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3656 #17 · p.3656 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
The moon was setting as the sun was coming up this morning during chores. Taken with the 50-135mm.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/13896109395_a28fda50d1_c.jpgMoonset at Sunrise by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Now that's a GREAT shot. Awesome!

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3656 #18 · p.3656 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I really wanted to love the D800. It was a wonderful serendipity that led to my taking delivery of Don Jean's camera and then having a week to play with it before sending it on to Italy with the battery removed. I likely could have handled the slower download speeds and the added storage requirements, but the design of the grip was simply too much. The combination of the narrowed front grip and the significantly reduced ridge on the back made holding the camera for an extended period of time too painful. Perhaps had I bought a leather hand sleeve I could have made it work, but that all seemed too much to contend with. Interestingly, I don't have a large hand but the reduced grip was not an advantage. The thickness of the D700's front grip coupled with the raised ridge on the back fits my hand perfectly. I appreciate, of course, that the D800 works for a great many people... just not me.

This is taken in front of the apartment Sue is in at the moment. It belongs to the San Francisco Theological Seminary. Looking down the street is a chapel that belongs to the seminary. In the distance you see the top of Mount Tamalpais. It isn't a very high "mountain" but it looms large in the heart of Marin. This was taken with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s and converted in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3656 #19 · p.3656 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray has been an inspiration to me when it comes to lens acquisitions. He seems to have a knack for being the only bidder on some lenses. Well...it FINALLY paid off for me. I was the only bidder on a 35mm f1.4 AIS for under $350!

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3656 #20 · p.3656 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well done Leighton! I've been told that patience is a virtue. There is no doubt both you and Ray have modeled that for all of us. I'll be really curious to see how you feel about shooting the market with this fine lens. Congratulations...

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password