Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3654      
       3656              4044       4045       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3655 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:01 AM
HCE HCE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3655 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shooting everyone!!
Here's one from the side of the road.
D800 55mm f/1.2

-Jay-

Edited on Mar 16, 2014 at 01:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:35 AM
dhamments
• •
p.3655 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Waiting for a few more manual focus lenses, I'm still enjoying the 28 mm f2.8 ais, especially for landscapes. Don't want you guys & gals thinking I've abandoned the thread!

So many great images on every page... nice way to pass a few minutes each day.
PS - I'm not sure why the exif and flickr image footer isn't showing below the image now

Cheers and good light,
David

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:38 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3655 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - Thanks for the explanation on the asparagus beds. I've never seen them raised this way. Asparagus are an annual and it's possible that they can return year after year for 20 or so years. There's always more than one way to do something.

Jeff - Very nice shots of Manzanar. I read about these camps while reading one of Adam's books. But I, like Curtis, didn't realize there were ten of them. Thanks for sharing.

Curtis - Nice to see you posting and sharing your lovely images with us all once again. This time, stick around more so you take some of the blabbermouth heat off of me.

Ram - Thanks for the 35 examples, I'm still not sure which way I'll go.

Paul - So good to see you again!

Jay - That's one wild looking plant, what is it?

David - In your settings under the "privacy and permission" tab, there's a setting called "Hide your EXIF data". Make sure that says NO. And yes, the 28/2.8 IS a fantastic landscape lens.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:43 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3655 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, nice set from the B29! The sepia-variantn works very well.

Leighton, I like the look of Old Staunton. Very large satellite-dishes would be more disturbing than the power-lines.

Steve, I like especially the first wine-cave-image for it's light and framing. Congrats to your new D800!

Curtis, love the diagonal composition on your first poppies-shot. The highlight-"blob" on the other poppie works great to bring life into the background.

Jeff, fantastic shots from Manzanar - love your eccentric framing. I recall some very good color-shots from a "relocation center", done by Peter, if memory serves. Not sure if it was Manzanar or another camp. Anyway, great pictures with a very sad history behind.
Reminds me of the movie "Snow falling on cedars", a very good movie with excellent playing actors in my opinion. Maybe I should read the novel too.

Ram, nice shots with the 35/2.5E!

Paul, great to see you back here! Love the shake-shot, wonderful! Congrats to your 55/1.2 SC. Your last set is so full of life - great!

Buddy, the 135/3.5 looks great on a FM!

Jay, the 55/1.2 makes the cactus look almost fluffy ;-) A very nice shot, love the colors and the super-shallow DoF!

David, again very nice soft light on your landscape.

Thanks for the kind comments and "likes" on my shots from yesterday - much appreciated!

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3655 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin those are great shots of your daughter. For sure they are photos you can cherish for years to come

Georg your photos are always inspiring. Loved the farmer holding the seeds!

Jeff the photo with the wire fence and guard tower is amazing!!!

Curtis I am loving your photos. You are an inspiration to all here. Wonderful photos with amazing framing. Georg gave me the greatest compliment the other day when he said he thought that my photos were ones that you had posted

Ram great use of the 35mm E. It certainly does not disappoint!

Paul it's so nice to see you posting again. I love your use of the 55mm 1.2. A lens that I cherish myself!!! Your 4-month-old-granddaughter is very precious indeed!

Buddy these lenses on the Nikon bodies are a touch of history and that shot is beautiful!!

Jay great shot from the side of the road. Looking forward to getting together with you when you arrive in Florida. Ken and Robin have also exhibited an interest in getting together with us for some photography fellowship.

David so glad to see that you are taking an active role in our thread - nice photo too!!!!!!

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:37 PM
Ken Hill
• •
p.3655 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton wonderful shot of Staunton and I've been playing with sepia because of it. Staunton and the Corvette did not like each other. I bet if I lived there I'd change the clutch out every year. Some very steep hills at every traffic light. I vote you keep the 50 1.2!!

Steve you made me laugh ... Clarkson is a great TV personality and a "gear head" as we say here. Remind me to tell you some day how after leaving Biggen Hill, in the fog and going downhill, this Yank hit the clutch and pushed the window crank forward to downshift! The "Stig" I wasn't that day!

Buddy thank you for the compliment It's fun being here!

Kevin, "Scarlet" and the boots would be right at home here in Polk County. We use to be called "Cow Town" ... the largest cattle ranch in the US is an hour east of me. Sorry Texas!

Georg interesting capture of the Ships control set to "STOP" in Cyrillic with the manufacturer info indicating it was made in the west. The red is power "astern" and the black "ahead with the speeds from slow to full. I also agree on your "Top Gear" the UK show is much better than the US show that is very lame!

Jeff truly outstanding photograph's and historical. I'm the type that would climb over the fence to see more!

Curtis something that amazes me about this thread is that any shot hand held and wide open is welcome here. It's photography as it should be and accepted here with comment and advice. The series you have posted is wonderful! As to the Corvettes in your life you NEED another, the newer ones are reliable, comfortable and have little depreciation over time. I traded mine and got more than I paid for it six years ago; that's after taking it to the lower 48 and the California coast three times!

Ram, Paul and Buddy very nice work!

Jay an absolutely amazing shot with the D800 and the 1.2. It's my combo too! Huge NEF files though.

Ray we should be good for next week with a visitor from the west. Reagan needs to bring his lenses here! (BTW I ate dinner with my friend from the market last night and he see's the sign maker from time to time and will try and get his contact info!)

Sepia experiment ... cars and planes.

Ken Hill 2014

Yes I know it's a FFFFord!

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:57 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3655 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Wow! I'd say this thread is living up to its reputation and surely there is more than one devil in our midst getting things stirred up. We'll have to pass Laura's statue along to you Ray...

I'm afraid you're going to have to help me here Ray because I can't imagine for the life of me what that lens might be. The NOCT is WAY out of my price range. Although I love the 16 f/3.5 I can't imagine shooting with the 8 f/2.8. In reality wide is not so much my thing. I travel with the 20 f/2.8 AI-s
...Show more

Curtis having looked through your profile I am finding it difficult to see any holes in your kit. You have a fantastic collection of lenses. The only suggestion I could possibly add would be the 28mm 3.5 PC AIS I didn't see any prospective lenses listed. Perhaps you could also consider the 35-70mm 3.5 AI. It is considered a professional lens but I can't recall anyone using that lens. The Ai version is rated a little higher than the AIS perhaps because of the 72mm filter instead of 62mm. It would be interesting to see what this lens can do.
I had thought of recommending this lens to Leighton since he loves the 50-135 F3.5 so much.
Your photos have inspired so many lens purchases since day one. Most of my kit was inspired by you and I feel strange making any suggestions to you but I did open this can of worms

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:03 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3655 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill wrote:
Ray we should be good for next week with a visitor from the west. Reagan needs to bring his lenses here! (BTW I ate dinner with my friend from the market last night and he see's the sign maker from time to time and will try and get his contact info!)

Sepia experiment ... cars and planes.

Very cool photo Ken. You do such good work.
I am so looking forward to our outing. I hope our get together works out. Being without a camera for 3 weeks is wearing thin. I need to take photos!!!!!

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:08 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3655 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sunning themselves on our roof this morning. Hope they are not waiting for me. 80-200 4.5 C

NIKON Df    80.0 mm f/4.5 lens    80mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3655 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis having looked through your profile I am finding it difficult to see any holes in your kit. You have a fantastic collection of lenses. The only suggestion I could possibly add would be the 28mm 3.5 PC AIS I didn't see any prospective lenses listed. Perhaps you could also consider the 35-70mm 3.5 AI. It is considered a professional lens but I can't recall anyone using that lens. The Ai version is rated a little higher than the AIS perhaps because of the 72mm filter instead of 62mm. It would be interesting to see what this lens can do.
...Show more

Thanks Ray. You're definitely one of the stalwart members of this motley crew. I'm glad we met when I visited Florida. I hope to make that happen again, perhaps later this year. Florida seems to have become MFNG central...

I owned the 35-70 f/3.5 AI for a few months. I was motivated by Bjorn's review but then went shooting with a fellow named Eric who has stopped by rarely but who lives only a few miles from me. He had the AI-s version of the lens and I much preferred its color and contrast. I sold my AI lens but never replaced it. Eric offered me his lens at a very sweet price but I turned him down. Then I bid on a lens and Chuong stole it from me... I think you're right, that would be a fine lens for Leighton to add to his kit. It would give him 35 but also the advantage of a zoom. His work with the 50-135 suggests another zoom would find a happy place in his kit. It is certainly a reasonably priced lens.

I've been impressed by work Georg and Samy have posted with the 28 P.C. but I very seldom shoot buildings, and so the real benefits of such a lens are lost on me. I think I'm a hopeless case Ray. I may finally have found a cure for Nikon Manual Focus Acquisition Syndrome... buy every lens and it is cured...

Nice to hear your camera is coming home soon. I expect you'll have a bit of pent up energy for shooting. Have fun my friend.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3655 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Curtis - Nice to see you posting and sharing your lovely images with us all once again. This time, stick around more so you take some of the blabbermouth heat off of me.

Leighton, you can't kid a kidder. You were a blabbermouth BEFORE i left... I don't know if there is enough air in this room to support the two of us... But it has been fun in the past so I expect we'd survive in the future...

Ray came up with a great suggestion for you, a 35-70 f/3.5. Bjorn likes the AI but I prefer the AI-s. Here's a near mint copy on E-Bay with 11 hours left in the auction.

Nikon 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s with starting bid of $120

I've shot with this lens and it is beautifully made. It produces great color and contrast. Glad to lend a hand...

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3655 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's a lovely shot David. Happy you haven't abandoned the thread. Of course, we have old friends stopping by from time to time as Paul did recently. This thread seems to be here for the duration so the only question is whether we as individuals want to be part of the conversation. There are a few regulars who've been here a long while, a few newcomers who are testing the water and occasional visitors trying to figure out what this is all about. We're over three and a half years into this adventure and remain the most active thread on FM. Yes, there is one larger thread that is actually on its second iteration, but those high flying folks are ambling along while this thread keeps speeding through cyberspace. All good.

Now for the rest of my day. Later everyone.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:14 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3655 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Glad I made someone laugh Ken

I can imagine your situation going from Biggin Hill .... which way ... down the big on, Westerham Hill

I've ridden down that on a push bike at 70 mph .... ...

Overtook an Audi half way down ... he had his window down and swore at me ... said something like I was mad !!!

I thought "I know that" I must be I use Nikon Manual Focus lenses.

Anyway .... it arrived early ... expecting it on Monday ....

But the D800 is here ...

And the first lens on it is the ubiquitous 55mm f1.2 .... honoured indeed

Steve

Stokesey 2014

D800 with 55mm f1.2 lens .... first lens to grace this beauty.

NIKON D700    50mm    f/16.0    1/50s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:26 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3655 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:

Here are two shots from Manzanar. ....

since I have nothing new, you inspired me to dig up some leftovers from my 2013 April shoebox full of Owens Valley RAW files -
all with the 105 f/2.5 AI'd on D600

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.3655 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton, Georg, Ray and Ken for the kind comments.

Georg, agree with you about "Snow Falling on Cedars." Very good movie and the book is excellent too.

Peter, I recall your terrific Owens Valley set from last year, including the Manzanar shots. I really like the composition of the barracks image.

For the Corvette fans on the forum, GM designer, Larry Shinoda, was a young internee at Manzanar. He was 12 years old when he came to the camp with his family.

Larry worked for GM's styling chief, Bill Mitchell, on the 1959 Stingray race car and he led the design team that developed the classic split-window 1963 Corvette Sting Ray.

Shinoda also worked for Ford, where he designed the 1969 Mustang Boss 302.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3655 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Leighton, you can't kid a kidder. You were a blabbermouth BEFORE i left... I don't know if there is enough air in this room to support the two of us... But it has been fun in the past so I expect we'd survive in the future...

Ray came up with a great suggestion for you, a 35-70 f/3.5. Bjorn likes the AI but I prefer the AI-s. Here's a near mint copy on E-Bay with 11 hours left in the auction.

Nikon 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s with starting bid of $120

I've shot with this lens and it is beautifully made. It
...Show more

I can never get anything past you!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have my mind set on the prime. I also think I'm going to keep the 50/1.2 because of Ken's suggestion about ever finding another one down the road for a good price. Thanks Ken.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:50 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3655 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve - Congrats on the D800!

Peter - Nice to see pics from you again.

And speaking of the 50/1.2, I took it to town with me this morning and B and I went for a little walk after drop-off. Can you read the fine print on the "Hippie" sign?

Hippies use Side Door/50/1.2AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:53 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3655 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One from the "kersplat collection" - taken with the 105mmf/2.5, some tubes, some strobes and lots of water. The poor 28mm f/3.5 victim has since moved on to a more caring owner.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3655 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am old enough to have gone to Woodstock.

Just wasn't rich enough

Now I've spent all my cash on Nikon MF lenses. And I'm too old to go to festivals now Leighton!,,,

The lens problem I blame on you and Curtis

It's a madness that not even drugs can control

Steve

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password