3656              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gabel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3655 #1 · p.3655 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/29/959229.jpg

The NOCT as it was meant to be used. Wonderful photo Mike!

+ 1

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:49 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3655 #2 · p.3655 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

nampramos wrote:
The problem actually seems to be the ISO.

Does Auto ISO work in Aperture priority mode? (EDIT: in Manual mode it also does not bump up the ISO).

On the ISO menu, I have the following:

ISO sensitivity 100 (this should be AUTO here but I cannot select auto)

Auto ISO sensitivity contro - ON
Maximum sensitivity - 6400
Minimum shutter speed - AUTO

You are correct, new auto focal length detection for shutter speed does not work for non cpu lenses.

It's mentioned on page 112 half way down the page in my d800 manual -

'If AUTO (available only with CPU lenses; equivalent to 1/30s when a non-CPU lens is used) is selected, the camera will choose the minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens'

so the only option is to set a min. shutter speed if using a non-cpu lens with auto-iso which means you then have to change it when you change lens, as well as changing the non-cpu register.

hth

andy

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM
giag
• •
p.3655 #3 · p.3655 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mike-in-ak beautiful moon shot! wow
Ron - Amazing portrait to get it all in focus at 1.2 just great work!
Curtis - that white flower is gorgeous!

Well back to my sagal I got my $20 75-150 series E today. Toook a few test shots which I'll try to post up in a few days as links. It's really light well balanced and a whole lot nicer than the screw focus 35-135 ais I have. Having this will help me swallow losing the 50 1.2 a bit. I put a tiny piece of duct tape on the barrel to help with the absurdly light zoom action.

What I like about the lens is how the focus seems to snap into place and used Long it's great for taking pics of flowers without having to bend over.

And I got my 7 bucks back for the files from home depot which means I get to eat a frozen pizza today (yay!) since the Series E is fully AIS compatible.

The ONE problem... my stupid s5 doesn't have a 150mm zoom length in its list to chose so I have to select 180 and + it. ugh. not a biggie. But I guess Nikon doesn't have a ais 150? hmmmm

anyways loving the lens. I have a nice yellow flower pic the only thing growing in tx sofar in my parts as we keep getting 28 degree nights still. I'll try to get a snap of the lens next to my 35-135.

selling the 50... I have to tell myself... they still make it I can always get rich again and rebuy it new for twice the selling price. I've used it. It will be food and electricity for a month and gas. For now until I get more ebay things sold, its more important stuff.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM
giag
• •
p.3655 #4 · p.3655 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I haven't found a Df anywhere in Marin... perhaps if I went to S.F. I'd be able to hold one in my hand. I've certainly been impressed with what folks on this thread have been doing with the D600, so I wouldn't rule that out as my next camera... if there is a next camera... At 55,000 shutter actuations I've not yet broken in the D700...

There are quite a few camera shops on Kearny street near market to catch the tourists. One has a nice collection of AIS in the windows.

pur me on the list for your 700 when / if you part with it! I think a 700 with it's bigger viewfinder is gonna be the next beast for me for some time.

flow - Beautiful 105 2.5 work BTW that amber light at the church is really nice. clear and amazing color!

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:34 PM
giag
• •
p.3655 #5 · p.3655 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
You are correct, new auto focal length detection for shutter speed does not work for non cpu lenses.

It's mentioned on page 112 half way down the page in my d800 manual -

'If AUTO (available only with CPU lenses; equivalent to 1/30s when a non-CPU lens is used) is selected, the camera will choose the minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens'

so the only option is to set a min. shutter speed if using a non-cpu lens with auto-iso which means you then have to change it when you change lens, as well as changing the non-cpu
...Show more

That's such bullocks I demand Nikon free-chip all ais lenses and make all cameras work brilliantly with them from now to eternity... better yet what's with this contact based lense recognition why isn't it all done with bluetooth so we can just peel and stick a lablel on the OUTSIDE of the lens and poof it all just works. But then, I'm arguing with the company that only puts wifi on its cheapest cameras. ugh

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3655 #6 · p.3655 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful "blood moon", Mike in Alaska!!! It was rainy and cloudy here on the east coast so will have to wait for the next time. In fact was up in NYC for a quick couple days and drove back through off and on torrents of rain today.

Will come back to look at the last 10 pages or so tomorrow in detail, but here's some glimpses from the trip, these at the National Museum of Natural History.

The first two with the 55 1.2 S, the last using the 35 f2 OC.

Museum spelling
AmericanMuseumOfNaturalHistory by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Colors in front of the museum sign
FlowersAtTheMuseum by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And evening light on the trees outside the museum
MuseumNaturalHistoryTrees by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3655 #7 · p.3655 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Looks like I broke the browser with the last one, apologies!

Here's a few from inside the museum, these were all at the African People's section. The museum is huge, must have gone through only a fraction of the place in the limited time I had. These are all with the 35 f2 OC.

AfricanPeoplesSection1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

AfricanPeoplesSection_BnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jaws_BnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3655 #8 · p.3655 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice series Samy. I especially like this one.

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:12 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3655 #9 · p.3655 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Flo, very nice composition. Very rich with detail and color.

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:13 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3655 #10 · p.3655 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott, it melted just as fast as it came. Grass is all bare here for the most part.

mp356 wrote:
Laura, lovely shot of the snow covered tulip. It just started snowing here about an hour ago.
Scott

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3655 #11 · p.3655 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Think Bill Cosby...

Ken Hill wrote:
Is July all right with you !

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:49 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3655 #12 · p.3655 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Flo, tubes are definitely great. I've got the Nikon set as well as a Kenko set .

flow71 wrote:
Laura, nice shots of the snowy tulips.
With the 105 2,5 AiS:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/13879214774_38198eddd5_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/13878872333_3f97160ea0_o.jpg

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:52 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.3655 #13 · p.3655 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not happy with the moon pictures, the real issue is not the lens sharpness, but the low aperture speed and the dark red moon forcing me into high ISOs to keep the moon from 'moving'. Noise in the shadows was horrible and all the detail is lost in noise reduction.

Oh well, will have to think what to do different come October, when the next one comes, desert trip for sure.

This is the best processing I could come up with.

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 ais TC300 TC 201 blood moon by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is the combo used but without the TC14

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 tc300 tc201 tc 14 D800 moon shot D3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is what the combo, with the TC14 at 2240mm will do with a bright moon and clear skies.

Neil Armstrong's new home. Nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 tc300 tc201 tc 14 D800 moon shot 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 16, 2014 at 04:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:54 AM
zephyres
• •
p.3655 #14 · p.3655 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow Rafael .... 3rd pic is very nice .. Good luck for October.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:05 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3655 #15 · p.3655 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

giag wrote:
That's such bullocks I demand Nikon free-chip all ais lenses and make all cameras work brilliantly with them from now to eternity... better yet what's with this contact based lense recognition why isn't it all done with bluetooth so we can just peel and stick a lablel on the OUTSIDE of the lens and poof it all just works. But then, I'm arguing with the company that only puts wifi on its cheapest cameras. ugh

They could allow the info you have put into the non cpu register to be used for FL. Unless of course you have a 150

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:19 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3655 #16 · p.3655 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Not happy with the moon pictures, the real issue is not the lens sharpness, but the low aperture speed forcing me into high ISOs to keep the moon from 'moving'.

I had the same problem. 1/4 second was the best I could do before getting motion blur.

Next time I'll try to rent an Astrotrac - I was surprised to see that they had one available at Lensrentals today. I would have thought that on a day like today it would have been booked months ago.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:37 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3655 #17 · p.3655 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We went to local Historical Village yesterday. Man what a place for photo opps. ! They have a collection of 54 restored buildings from the area all in one place. Including old tractors, cars, motorbikes, an old pub, an old chemists and a Photography Shop !

Here's the first 4

Barber's tools -

_DSC8104 by cadman342001, on Flickr

The Old pub -

_DSC8113 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Model T -

_DSC8079 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Machine Shop -

_DSC8111 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Andy

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:25 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3655 #18 · p.3655 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Andy, very nice photography and a great subject you found there.

It looks lik ethe place is maintained with extraordinary care. Thank you for taking us there

I had a bit of fun with the 24mm f2,8 N.C Auto Nikkor today

Taken at f2,8

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:46 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3655 #19 · p.3655 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
My 14 year old is not so happy to model for dad. If you squint your eyes just so - It looks like he might be smiling. So, I titled this one "Sam Smiling :-)"

Shot with Nikkor 50mm f1.2 wide open
http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/76816SamAt14.jpg

Well James, he is 14 after all and he does have red hair - nice portrait.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:20 AM
lsds
• •
p.3655 #20 · p.3655 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great pictures from everybody and lots of likes and comments pending..sorry for the delay.
work's been keeping me from visiting this thread for the last few days..

The 200 f4 Q Ai'ing was a success and here's one of the first pics taken after the conversion with this beautiful MF that still performs wonderful after 40 years..sadly missed the blood moon.
200 f4 Q at f11(cropped)

Here are some of the conversion steps I took. Shall put together a detailed document as Curtis suggested soon.(Detailed images to follow and corrections if any)
Note* I have done the AI'ing for a D7K to prevent damage to the AI coupling on it. On older cameras that use an EE servo coupling post, this procedure might not work and damage your camera. So please consult before attempting anything at your own risk.
1. Remove the 5 screws on the lens mount(use a correct precision JIS screwdriver to prevent damage to the screws.Very crucial).Extend focus out to maximum.
2. Remove the 3 screws that hold the aperture action lever to the rear assembly(JIS screws again. Correct tools and care to be ensured).Remove the rear lens cup.
3. Carefully remove the lens mount and the aperture action lever assembly out (marking the position where the lever meets the aperture coupling - else will lead to stiffness after reassembly and possible scratches inside)
4. There is no aperture ring retaining screw on the 200 f4. With the lens mount and aperture coupler out, gently rotate and coax the aperture ring out marking the position of the meter coupling prong.Unscrew the coupling fork(rabbit ears)
5.Clean the aperture ring. To mark the milling/cutting position of the AI coupling ridge, there are guides/raised surfaces inside the aperture ring which will help you mark the exact milling end points. Also the filing should be to the edges just clearing the rabbit ear mounting screw holes. Measure the surface to be milled/cut and mark it perfectly using a masking tape(no clearance) to compensate for any parallax error. This also protects the aperture ring in case your file or tools slip and scratches or damages the ring
6. Begin filing or milling from the edges using a flat file with a steady hand and move inward. Prevent any filing that can round the edges. We need a flat good looking sharp edge on the lens we love
7.When the filing is in line with the masking tape edges, then smooth out any rough edges using emery paper but again ensure that no rounding of the edges occurs
8. Check tolerances(some AI'd pictures as reference) and if all good then thoroughly clean(blower) dry to get rid of all metal powder and then a good wipe with a tissue to ensure no residue remains
9.I left out filing the coupling fork(rabbit ears) but if you choose to not file the edges of the prong then you must be very careful every time you mount and unmount your lens as it clears the AI coupling prong on your Nikon very narrowly. On older cameras with the EE Servo coupling I am unsure whether the AI conversion will work or rather damage it.
10.With the focus extended at maximum, re-assemble the lens carefully starting with the Aperture ring. Ensure the groove in the ring aligns perfectly with the rear body and tuns the aperture rings without any resistance.Next gently mount the lens mount with the aperture lever assembly and again check for aperture ring movement and screw back the lens mount.Mount and screw back the rear cup over the rear assembly.check again for smooth movement and stop if you feel any resistance or jamming during focusing.
11. Test the AI mount - Gently mount the lens on your camera with aperture at maximum. Make sure you stop immediately if you see the ridge on the lens touching the AI coupler. If correctly milled/cut, it should just clear the AI coupling post by a fraction.

Edited on Apr 16, 2014 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1       2       3              3654      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3654      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password