Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3653      
       3655              4375       4376       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3654 #1 · p.3654 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Ken you can only be a proper petrol head if you have had an Alfa .....

So Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear says ...... Great programme ......

What a job to have .... anyone who doesn't know about it .... catch it on YouTube or some other TV channel ...

It's almost as good as using Nikon MF lenses .....

Steve

Just make sure to watch the British "Top Gear", the US-version is extremely lame compared to the original. "Fifth Gear" is pretty nice too.
Steve, many years back I've had the hots for one of the old boxer-engine-Alfas, but wasn't brave enough to get one of those. Now I'm a happy Subaru-driver ;-)

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3654 #2 · p.3654 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I feel like I'm watching that episode of "I Love Lucy", the one in the chocolate factory

Speeeeeeeeeeed it up!

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.3654 #3 · p.3654 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One of the stops on our eastern Sierra trip was the Manzanar National Historic Site. Manzanar was one of 10 war relocation centers that held Japanese during the second world war. Two-thirds of Manzanar's internees were American citizens by birth.

Photographers, including Dorthea Lange, Toyo Miyatake and Ansel Adams, played roles in telling the story of Manzanar.

Lange, a noted Depression era photographer, was hired by the War Relocation Administration to photograph Manzanar and the other relocation centers.

Miyatake was a Los Angeles portrait photographer who was interned, along with his family, at Manzanar. Although cameras were confiscated, he hid a lens, built a camera and photographed Manzanar from an internee's perspective. When camp officials found out, Miyatake's friend and fellow photographer, Edward Westin, intervened on his behalf. The camp director, Ralph Merritt, allowed Miyatake to continue. In over three years at the camp, Miyatake produced about 1500 images.

Adams was Manzanar's most well-known photographer and he was invited by his friend, Merritt, to photograph the camp. His work was published in the 1944 book: Born Free and Equal, Photographs of the Loyal Japanese-Americans at Manzanar Relocation Center, Inyo County, California. Adams' book proved to be controversial. Some critics called him an "apologist" for the internment by failing to document its darker side. Others found the book "disloyal" and there are reports of it being publicly burned. At the time, Adams wrote: "Through the pictures the reader will be introduced to perhaps twenty individuals . . . loyal American citizens who are anxious to get back into the stream of life and contribute to our victory."

An exhibition of Born Free and Equal was planned at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Controversy caused delays and changes to the exhibit. It's title was changed to "Manzanar" and Adams' text documenting service of Japanese Americans in the armed services was omitted. The revised exhibit was held in MoMA's basement.

Here are two shots from Manzanar. The first shows surviving barracks and Mount Williamson through the camps' barb wire fence. The second shows the fence and a guard tower. I wanted to render the guard tower out of focus because Adams was not allowed to photograph them at all.

Manzanar I Nikon D800 Nikkor 50mm 1.2 ais 1/60s f16 ISO 100

Manzanar II Nikon D800 Nikkor 50mm 1.2 ais 1/8000s f1.2 ISO 100

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:06 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #4 · p.3654 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
50 1.2 comes tomorrow
I hope the 135 gets back soon no word on it yet

R

Love to watch you rebuild your kit Reagan. The question we're all asking is whether next time you'll ask one of us if its a good idea to dump you MF Nikon lenses... Of course, since you are so generous in the way you price gear you sell folks might WANT you to let it go again...

I think you just enjoy BUYING things!

But congrats. I remember when what you were sharing from the 50 f/1.2 was drawing big smiles from many of us. I expect now it will be dozens of "likes..."

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:07 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #5 · p.3654 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Extraordinary images Jeff and thanks for the excellent background information. I knew about the camps, though didn't know there were ten and was unfamiliar with the photographers documenting what happened. Those were surely trying times for Japanese Americans, though the horror of Pearl Harbor was the first great shock to the American psyche. The second, of course, is 9/11. Both demonstrated our vulnerability, something that isn't easy for us to acknowledge. The backlash toward those viewed as perpetrators was similar, though the fact 9/11 was a single jolt and the war in the Pacific lasted for four brutal years made a big difference. Internment of Japanese Americans was hardly our finest hour as Americans, but that action is understandable.

It is good to be reminded of these things. It is easy to forget the darker moments of our history. Thanks for the fine images.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:26 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #6 · p.3654 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Spring must be close. People on the thread are adding new stuff !!!
Ken Hill added the 35-200 AIS and a new Corvette!
Congrats to Reagan for his new 135 F2 AIS and 50mm 1.2 AIS
Peter got the 16mm 3.5 - 3d time is a charm
Jose's chipped lenses are just beautiful!
Rafael with his new 135 2.8 Q
Buddy with his 135mm 3.5 and 28mm 2.0 NC
Steve with his new D800 on the way!!!!
I added the 55mm 3.5 Micro and 135mm 2.0
Sorry if I missed anyone but new lenses really stir my excitement for our thread.. Trying new lenses and kit building is
...Show more

Wow! I'd say this thread is living up to its reputation and surely there is more than one devil in our midst getting things stirred up. We'll have to pass Laura's statue along to you Ray...

I'm afraid you're going to have to help me here Ray because I can't imagine for the life of me what that lens might be. The NOCT is WAY out of my price range. Although I love the 16 f/3.5 I can't imagine shooting with the 8 f/2.8. In reality wide is not so much my thing. I travel with the 20 f/2.8 AI-s but it seldom gets used. The 200 f/2 AI-s has at times tickled my fancy but it is a very big lens that my arthritic shoulder would not be happy about. I already own the only 400mm lens I could possibly carry. Having added 14 pre-AI lenses to my kit I don't think there are any more of those I need. I really am at a loss. Perhaps I need to buy a Df...

Suggestions are most certainly welcome. In the meantime, I'm going to pull out some of the pre-AI lenses I haven't shot with in a long time and see what they can do. I'm thinking about the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd and the 300 f/4.5 H AI'd, both gorgeous lenses that deserve to be mounted on a camera.

But thanks for thinking about me Ray...

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:38 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #7 · p.3654 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks, Leighton, I was quite sure you would ask That's a large asparagus/sparrowgrass-field.
Tried the 400/3.5 IF-ED for a staged portrait of the very friendly farmer:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/13156046074_e881aa3efc_b.jpg
110 rows of asparagus - 400/3.5 IF-ED at f/5.6, his posture could be better (my fault). The foil-roll pictured in the other shot is used to "pre-heat" the "earthed up" fields.
The machine used to bring out the many miles of heavy foil should have been my subject, but it was late and I had to improvise a portrait-shoot.

Love this shot and the education it provides to this city boy. I've never seen rows of earth raised like this. I certainly never saw anything of the sort when rambling around Minnesota farmland. There is either something unique about the way asparagus is grown, or the Germans have found there own method which requires these raised planting areas. I assume the asparagus is planted at the top and not the bottom of each of these rows.

You are a never-ending source of information Georg given that your assignments take you hither and yon. Always a treat, as is the varied ways in which you convert your images. I'd love to sit behind you and the computer and watch how your manipulate SEP to get the results you do. Perhaps I need to be more adventurous...

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #8 · p.3654 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've been doing a bit of walking/hiking with the encouragement of my doctor. I was surprised to discover that my blood pressure had elevated at bit, enough so that I began taking medicine recently. The medicine had side effects and I negotiated with my doctor who said if I lost some weight and got more exercise we'd work with my blood pressure without medicine. Although I haven't been spending much time sitting at the computer, hence my absence from this site, I have spent quite a bit of time reading... the never ending student that I am. After six months immersion in philosophy, psychology and spirituality, I need to get off my ass and out the door. Hiking is serious stuff and very seldom take my camera. But rambling around the neighborhood, even if it involves walking up the many steep hills in and around San Anselmo, I'm inclined to take my camera and one lens. That is the reason I've been posting images of late. It is great fun to punctuate a aerobic hike with occasional stops to smell the roses... as I take photos of them.

I'm still playing with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd, inspired by Rafael. Here are a few taken from today. I'll start with a black and white conversion... a shot from hills to the west of San Francisco Theological Seminary which happens to be Sue's landlord at the moment. Don't ask...

And did someone say flowers? All shot wide open, hand held as always.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:55 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #9 · p.3654 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Shooting with this lens I'm reminded of what impressed me when I first began shooting with it. The pre-AI f/2.8 has a different optical design than later versions at this focal length. When I first bought Nikon MF lenses, I bought exclusively AI-s lenses, thinking that they must be the best. I bought only one AI lens and that was the 135 f/2.8. All these lenses proved to be worthy performers so it seemed a bit of a stretch to begin playing with pre-AI versions, all with earlier optical designs. Of course, what I discovered that different design doesn't mean inferior design. In fact, every pre-AI lens I've used has had its own charm and delight. The 135 f/2.8 pre-AI lens is much bigger than the AI lens, 620 grams versus 430. Now most of the time folks want to lighten their load and smaller, lighter should be better. But in reality, the older lens balances beautifully on my D700 while the AI lens has always felt too small. It handles better when I've added a PK-13 extension tube and shot close with it.

The Q.C. is about the size of the 135 f/2, 104mm versus 103, but it weighs considerably less, 620 versus 860. It feels just right in fact. I love the f/2 lens but the Q.C. really gives very little away in terms of performance. Its bokeh is buttery smooth and it is wonderfully sharp wide open. There is nothing not to like about this lens. The Q and earliest K versions have the same advantages, though the Q does not have the coatings that earned this lens its 'C'. Here are a few more shots from today.

I shot into the light not knowing what I might get. I'm happy with this result...

And for something a little different... an abstract.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:11 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3654 #10 · p.3654 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful posts everyone. Great planes, cars, people, and flowers. Heavy use of the like button.

Thank you for the comments and likes on the post-blizzard images. Just have to wait for it all to melt now.
Scott

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • •
p.3654 #11 · p.3654 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff I really like this composition.

Well done.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:30 AM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3654 #12 · p.3654 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Wonderful posts everyone. Great planes, cars, people, and flowers. Heavy use of the like button.

Thank you for the comments and likes on the post-blizzard images. Just have to wait for it all to melt now.
Scott

I am sorry to jump the "like" button wagon too.. Long work day today.. Lot of excellent photos..

Leighton was asking about the 35mm., hence I decided to post couple of shots from my Nikon 35mm f2.5 E series ($60 - Ebay)
Its sharp wide open and wide enough on the D600.

Nikon 35mm f2.5 E by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Sharp when used in close up face shots.

Nikon 35mm f2.5 E by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Even works as a reversed close up macro.

Nikon 35mm f2.5 E - reverse Macro by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:37 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.3654 #13 · p.3654 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis and Scott, thank you for the kind comments.

Curtis, the flowers are great and the Seminary shot really floats my boat.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:52 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.3654 #14 · p.3654 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Several months passed since I last posted here, but rest assured that I have been closely watching the thread. Quite a number of newcomers, but still a lot of die-hards. And Curtis got me to buy a lens I had been long looking for: the 55mm 1.2 SC he saw at KEH found its way to my place.

_PG34617 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Trying to catch the bokeh, I caught my owns hands in the double-glazed window.

_PG34601 by Apapa56, on Flickr

A test shot at f4

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 03:18 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:56 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.3654 #15 · p.3654 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

1.2 trio

With the acquisition of the 55mm 1.2 SC I have completed my 1.2 trio: the 50mm ais, the 55-SC and the 58 Noct.

I may try to compare them more seriously later, but here is a little appetizer; subject is my 4-month-old-granddaughter.

_PG34622 by Apapa56, on Flickr
55mm S-C

_PG34623 by Apapa56, on Flickr

58mm Noct

_PG34631 by Apapa56, on Flickr

50mm AIS

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:04 AM
dhamments
• •
p.3654 #16 · p.3654 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Jeff! If I tried to reply to this many posters it would take me half a day!

+ 1.... My memory is so bad, I'd have to take notes as I look at every page. That like button sure comes in handy!
Cheers and good light, David

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #17 · p.3654 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Delighted Paul that I could offer encouragement... You can always tell you wife that "the devil made you do it..." The 55 f/1.2 S.C. is a special lens, but not quite so special as the legendary NOCT. One would expect a lens with a hand ground front element to produce superior results wide open and I believe that has been demonstrated. But you will have the opportunity to play with Nikon's three fast MF Nikkors so you can give us your own report. I'll look forward to it.

Love the photos of your grand daughter. She will surely be a challenging subject for your MF shooting. I take it that grandmother has the honors of holding the girl as you shoot. Wonderful set Paul.

It seems you and I have returned to the fold at about the same time. I'll look forward to seeing more from you. Rinie told me you've been having some lovely weather but that snow is on its way back. Sorry to hear that, though Scott who lives in upstate New York has been entertaining us with some excellent cold weather photography and a great deal of snow...

Happy shooting!

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:30 AM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.3654 #18 · p.3654 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nah Curtis, it's not going to snow here, and if it does, we will just ignore it, bathing suits and all.
Indeed it is my wife holding little Ima. I also have to grandsons. They are a lot more difficult to focus manually, but for that I have two other gems: the 85mm 1.8 H-C (Nikki) and the 20mm 3.5:

_PG34646 by Apapa56, on Flickr
(Noct)

_PG34519 by Apapa56, on Flickr
(20mm/3.5)

_PG34500 by Apapa56, on Flickr
('Nikki')

_PG34467 by Apapa56, on Flickr
('Nikki')

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 04:53 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:28 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #19 · p.3654 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Clearly Paul, you're being kept busy... That sounds like a lovely way to spend one's time, however. Just a note, the first two photos aren't appearing at the moment. I can open them with the link at the bottom but they don't show up here.

And, please send me a photo of your wife in her bathing suit shoveling snow...

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3654 #20 · p.3654 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So I took Ray's challenge and began looking at lenses, first at KEH and then on E-Bay. It seems like old days when I spent a good part of each evening pouring over auctions and deciding what might be a reasonable cap to my bidding when I found something worth pursuing. Between photosynthesis and Bjorn Rorslett, with an occasional stop at Ken Rockwell's site, I was learning even as I was bidding. Great fun. Of course, many of the lenses I picked up came from seeing what others were doing with lenses from their kits.

I did come across a very clean copy of the 135 f/2.8 Q with the Nikon AI conversion kit. This is the lens Rafael recently added to his rather impressive kit. Although the Q.C. has a newer coating, my guess is for most shooting the Q will work just fine. And the price is really sweet Leighton... I know you're holding out for the f/2 but you really would enjoy this lens. Of course, I offered to ship my converted K lens so you could try it out and you declined. I guess this lens wouldn't interest you... but perhaps there are others who'd like to give it a whirl...

Nikon 135 f/2.8 Q With Nikon AI Conversion for $148 Buy it Now

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password