FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3633      
       3635              5884       5885       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3634 #1 · p.3634 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A reminder for newcomers. You are always welcome. We encourage folks participating on this thread to include their first name in their profile so those among us approaching senility can check when your memories fail us... We ARE on a first name basis on the thread and it helps if you share your name. You certainly can include it in each post, but putting it in your profile simplifies things.

Secondly, you are also encouraged to list your current gear in your profile. This way we'll know exactly how to best spend your money... Encouraging our friends to spend money is a time honored tradition on this thread. If we see a hole in your kit we want to help you fill it.

Have fun, shoot with your MF gear, buy lenses, say hello from time to time when you share your work. This is a great place to meet some wonderful folks from around the world who love these lenses...

(Leighton insisted I correct errors in this post lest folks conclude i AM senile... )

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:06 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:50 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3634 #2 · p.3634 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sandy, what a great set of images from Cuba, you have captured the essence of time being frozen in the place. I can't choose any that are better than others, they are all marvelous!

Ken, great sunburst through that structure! And I really like the fish fountain.

Steve, nice colors in the English daffodils!

Chin, what film are you using. It may have to do with how its being developed too.

Ray, great tryptic of doors. What place is that? And very nice structures and architecture in Tampa!!

Ronny, congrats on the new 50!!! That's going to fit right into your style!!

Nuno, beautiful colors with the 24mm lens, and cute dog! And welcome here!

Flo, welcome, and that pic of the man against the wall is masterly!

Tony from PA, look forward to your pics from Toronto. Never been there but I believe there should be a lot to point the D700 and manual lenses at. Including what Reagan said

Georg, you certainly got the boring light on that building to turn interesting. Very pleasing photograph of that scene in your town.

Andy, just looked up Cairns news and it seems the storm is weakening, good to hear.

Curtis, what a great example of how these old lenses can produce gorgeous images! That flower with the 200 QC is tremendous in color contrast and sharpness! And reminds me I need to fish out the extension tubes soon as flowers start to show up around town.

Kevin, forget the lunch next time and take the camera when you get that long a break! And just loved your 28mm macro of that flower!

Buddy, beautiful pics of the horses with the 180 2.8! And that little squirrel on the huge boulder is just way too cute!

Jose, I love the books seen through the glass of the 135mm lens. And your dark skies over Sao Paolo images are always a pleasure to look at.

Jay, very pleasing look at that Moorish architecture.

Sandy, great view of the motorbike engine details.

Finally came across Ram's double exposure pic that was being talked about. Interesting and will have to look at that technique. And all the best for a smooth move upcountry Ram.

And that was just four pages back. I must be still missing 20 or more. Its just a pleasure going post by post and picture by picture through this thread, just wish there was more time available

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:53 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3634 #3 · p.3634 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

No, I'm taking a shot of this bug, darn he flew away, thanks.

Stokesey wrote:
Is it me .....

Or are some people just not too observant??

There I was by the side of a busy rural road, trying to keep my back end from being hit ....

crouched down on my haunches, camera in hand and up to the eye, pointing it at a field of daffodils ....

Along comes a guy .... pulls up on the other side of this busy road ..... and asks .....

'Are you taking photos of the daffodils?'

Well I was tempted to say .... NO .... I'm building the Eiffel Tower ...... what did he think I was doing? ....

He then proceeds
...Show more

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3634 #4 · p.3634 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It seems Samy and I both visited a cemetery recently. I was actually there this afternoon. I hadn't planned on the visit but remembered as I was driving by that I'd enjoyed shooting there in the past. I wanted to play a bit with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI that arrived on Wednesday. Sadly, the slight marks on the hood probably happened with the seller attempted to remove the label glued to the metal. Scraping a lens is never a great idea... If he'd left the lens alone it would be perfect. It is still awfully sweet.

This is a very old cemetery, at least by California standards. Occupants are primarily from iIalian families, many of whom were instrumental in development of the Bay Area. I see names familiar to me from streets, politicians, companies that are very successful.

What looks like marble behind this crucifix is actually cobwebs on the inside of the glass door leading into the private crypt. Some of these are so old it is possible no one from the family is alive to care for it...

Always good to have little angels praying for you...

This at the top of the hill. My guess is that real estate values in a cemetery are much like those elsewhere with the most expensive property at the highest point. Clearly this patron's family had a few dollars to place a replica of the Pieta on top of the gravesite. This is a name I don't know... I'll add a closeup...

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:00 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3634 #5 · p.3634 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And... my class completion certificate arrived today, and the big test is scheduled for 10 May at 0830. Figured it would be best to wait till after finals to get this one done.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3634 #6 · p.3634 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy, I'd never tout any 200mm lens as a replacement for the 180 f/2.8 AI-s ED. That is one of my desert island lenses. In fact, it is one of the lenses I upgraded after realizing how good it is at EVERYTHING. I don't know that I'd be capable any longer of listing no more than five desert island lenses, but I know the 180 would be one of however many I chose. The 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI would likely be another. That might be a game worth playing at some point. It would be interesting to see the order folks would place their favorite lenses and which ones they'd keep if they had to reduce their kit. I can't think about it... I want MORE not LESS lenses...

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:10 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #7 · p.3634 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two shots from yesterday morning, the local observatory got it's refracting telescope (2,25 meters focal length, if I'm not mistaken) back from a mayor overhaul/repair:

tight maneuver - shot with the longest of my MF-Nikkor's, the 400/3.5 IF-ED at f/4
The part of the crane and the back of a TV-reporter are a bit disturbing, but that's how life is sometimes ;-)
I really like the 400 - it's performance on my 12MP-FX-bodies is very good, as long as I focus properly and keep the camera-shake down to a minimum.
It's focus-ring is super-smooth, it just doesn't get better. But it's not well balanced for hand-held work, another reason to shoot from a mono- or tripod.

Skilled repair-men at work - this one was done with my shortest MF-Nikkor, the 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor at f/5.6.
Should have strobed this image, but I don't like direct flash indoors and there was no room to set up a remote flash.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:17 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3634 #8 · p.3634 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Buddy, I'd never tout any 200mm lens as a replacement for the 180 f/2.8 AI-s ED. That is one of my desert island lenses. In fact, it is one of the lenses I upgraded after realizing how good it is at EVERYTHING. I don't know that I'd be capable any longer of listing no more than five desert island lenses, but I know the 180 would be one of however many I chose. The 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI would likely be another. That might be a game worth playing at some point. It would be interesting to see the order
...Show more

As my kit stands right now, these are the lenses I MUST keep in my bag.

28mm f2.8 AIS
50mm f1.2 AIS
180mm f2.8 AIS
50-135mm f3.5 AIS

Of course all of this is subject to change.

nampramos
• • •
p.3634 #9 · p.3634 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I had the 180/2.8 AF and sold it a couple of month ago only because I was offered quite some money for it. I am definitely buying one again (maybe this time the MF version) as soon as a good deal comes up!

Another one from today with the 24/2.8 Ai.

A typical red Swedish house.

DSC_0038.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:21 PM · View previous versions

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3634 #10 · p.3634 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

nampramos wrote:
I had the 180/2.8 AF and sold it a couple of month ago only because I was offered quite some money for it. I am definitely buying one again (maybe this time the MF version) as soon as a good deal comes up!

Another one from today. A typical red Swedish house.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/13783868434_ff16a87780_c.jpgDSC_0038.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

I haven't had the chance to welcome you yet, so welcome! If you get another 180/2.8, get the MF version, you WON'T be sorry.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nampramos
• • •
p.3634 #11 · p.3634 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I haven't had the chance to welcome you yet, so welcome! If you get another 180/2.8, get the MF version, you WON'T be sorry.

Thank you!

I might get both actually, if I get them cheap as I did with the AF version I sold.

Since I photograph surfing, the AF comes in hand and sometimes the 180 FL is perfect when on a beach break or on top of some rocks just next to where the wave breaks.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:24 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.3634 #12 · p.3634 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by the recent B&W works from this thread, I converted a few shots from yesterday with the 55mm f1.2 Nikkor-S

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:25 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #13 · p.3634 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^ Very nice, Chuong! I like #1 the most, for it's really great framing.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3634 #14 · p.3634 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

28mm f2.8 AIS
50mm f1.2 AIS
180mm f2.8 AIS
50-135mm f3.5 AIS

We're not talking about a camera bag Leighton... we're talking about a desert island..

There is no going home at the end of the day and rearranging your camera bag. This is SERIOUS... And my guess is if you WERE going to a desert island and RANKED the gear you brought the list above would not reflect your ranking of value/usefulness/affection. Which of your children do you love best?

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:36 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.3634 #15 · p.3634 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you, Georg! I am not sure what I like best. I don't feel like I can bring out the best from each shot with B&W. Any suggestions to make them better would be appreciated.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:36 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3634 #16 · p.3634 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks, Kevin! The sailing vessel (over 2 meters long) is actually a RC-model. Without electrical main engine, it will and has to sail. I've asked the very friendly builder about how many times he had to jump into the sea to bring it home and he said "only once" - he had mistakingly installed the old batteries again, and not the fresh re-charged ones ;-)
The motor-vessels in front are very close scale-copies of ships who did service in my hometown.

I had a friend that was very into model boats. He had some extremely expensive speed boats that often would catch someones wake and flip. He hated going out to retrieve them. I came up with an idea of a long fishing pole with a tennis ball on the end. Cast it out and reel it in. Not really an original idea, but worked great with the long pole (needed it for the heavy tennis ball).

This was my second favorite plane. Hope the image shows up... All foam DC3, electric power. I don't have the cowling on in the photo. 4" wingspan. Loved that bird, flew the hell out of it.

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:42 PM
lsds
• •
p.3634 #17 · p.3634 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

5 whole pages in less than 24 hours..lots of catching up to do..lotsa comments and likes pending..

Took the 20 2.8 to work and got these on the way home.Taken with the 20 f2.8 ais.

Wish I had taken a longer FL with me. Missed the action on the ducks who were all too excited in the water..

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:44 PM
zephyres
• •
p.3634 #18 · p.3634 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

All shot with Nikon 105mm 2.5 ais

Only still subjects at home :-)

Love the combination of D700 with 105mm 2.5 AIS

A converted candy box.....makes a perfect lens case....

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:44 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #19 · p.3634 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Buddy, I'd never tout any 200mm lens as a replacement for the 180 f/2.8 AI-s ED. That is one of my desert island lenses. In fact, it is one of the lenses I upgraded after realizing how good it is at EVERYTHING. I don't know that I'd be capable any longer of listing no more than five desert island lenses, but I know the 180 would be one of however many I chose. The 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI would likely be another. That might be a game worth playing at some point. It would be interesting to see the order
...Show more

Haha, Curtis I can understand the pain thinking about parting with lenses ;-)

Here are some short-lists, divided by usage.

There's just one MF-Nikkor I can't let go for work-stuff (read: newspaper-pictures):
- the 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor - since I own this one (thanks, John) I use the fantastic, but heavy and large AF-S 14-24 only on rare occasions. The neat 16/3.5 works so well for me I have to force myself not to over-use it.

The next list - the best bang-for-the buck-Nikkor's:
- 1st place share the 55/3.5 Micro and the 135/3.5 Ai - both lenses are great performers in the field and can be found for very little money (my copies are very well used and were really cheap)
- 3rd place goes to the 100/2.8 Series E - very good performance in a tiny package

another list - my special effects-lenses:
- 1st place goes to the 55/1.2 Ai for it's special and well-known rendering
- 2nd and 3rd place for 24/2 Ai and 35/1.4 Ai - those lenses do wonders to a boring background
- The PC tilt/shift-lenses (PC 85/2.8D and PC-E 45/2.8) are outstanding performers and much more than special effects-lenses, but can deliver a unique look at command.

Finally a list of lenses I could part easily with:
- the 28/3.5 Ai is not bad, but it lacks something special. Sorry, 28/3.5 Ai ;-)
- 35-135/3.5-4.5 Zoom-Nikkor Ais - no love for this lens. Maybe I try it sometimes with my FM2 as walkaround-lens, but apart from it's really good built-quality I couldN't find any special qualities. The minimum focusing distance (the macro-setting is fine, but I prefer a continuous focusing mechanism) turns me really off.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:49 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #20 · p.3634 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
...Show more
leighton w wrote:

28mm f2.8 AIS
50mm f1.2 AIS
180mm f2.8 AIS
50-135mm f3.5 AIS

CGrindahl wrote:
We're not talking about a camera bag Leighton... we're talking about a desert island..

There is no going home at the end of the day and rearranging your camera bag. This is SERIOUS... And my guess is if you WERE going to a desert island and RANKED the gear you brought the list above would not reflect your ranking of value/usefulness/affection. Which of your children do you love best?

SERIOUS?
I wouldn't take a camera on a desert island, photography is my life, but I would take a lot of books and some tunes from Aretha Franklin over Otis Redding to Motörhead and Iron Maiden with me. And some tons of coffee.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password