Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3633      
       3635              4307       4308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3634 #1 · p.3634 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, congrats to your 135/2

Kevin, looking at other peoples art (not only photographs - sculptures or movies for instance work well too) is my source of inspiration. Flickr for instance is a great source for more artistic photography (don't wanna down-rate FM or this wonderful thread).

Brokenarcher - welcome! Hope we'll see some of your work here soon.

Thanks for the kind comments on the spring-shots! I'm not 100% sure the winter is finally in reverse gear, but at least it looks like that right now

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Mr. G
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3634 #2 · p.3634 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank goodness for the "like" button!

Gregg - congrats on the 55 macro. Where did you find a BNIB one? They are very sharp at distance too.

Actually on eBay. A seller who has job lots of industrial equipment had 4 of them with a BIN of $200 or best offers. I offered $150 and he took it. When it arrived the grease had hardened to the point where the focus helicoid was almost locked. I negotiated $50 back from the seller, took it to my local camera repair guy and $75 later it is smooth as silk and obviously very sharp. Total cost $185.00 (incl, original shipping) and a gallon of gas.

I have to start liquidating my late mothers extensive stamp collections so this lens will get used quite a bit.

Gregg

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3634 #3 · p.3634 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mr. G wrote:
Actually on eBay. A seller who has job lots of industrial equipment had 4 of them with a BIN of $200 or best offers. I offered $150 and he took it. When it arrived the grease had hardened to the point where the focus helicoid was almost locked. I negotiated $50 back from the seller, took it to my local camera repair guy and $75 later it is smooth as silk and obviously very sharp. Total cost $185.00 (incl, original shipping) and a gallon of gas.

I have to start liquidating my late mothers extensive stamp collections so this lens
...Show more
Nice find, and definitely worth what you paid. This was my first lens back into the world of MF and I have always thought it to be a wonderful all-arounder. I know of one pro who keeps it in his bag instead of a regular 50 because of it's versatility.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3634 #4 · p.3634 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
What do you do when you are in a photo phunk? I have not been inspired to shoot at all this week. Last week I shot because I was asked to. What do you all do to get motivated?

Kevin ... I joined this forum and get inspired every day by people making shots I'd never think of. Like Gregg's cat, I've never taken a picture like that of a cat. Jose's & Andy's macros, I won't even attempt Ram's shot with the arms etc. I'm more of a fan of the shot Steve took of the bollards, John's boats and airplanes and cars.

Ray, saw in another forum they rec'd your D600 .. won't be long I bet.
Reagan glad that you found the 135 F2, here's a V12 Lincoln for you.

Ken Hill 2014

1941 V12 Lincoln

NIKON D800    50mm    f/5.6    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

No airbags!

NIKON D800    50mm    f/5.6    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3634 #5 · p.3634 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^^^^^
But probably Real Walnut

R

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:56 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3634 #6 · p.3634 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, If nothing else gets me going, a trip to a museum helps. I've got a lovely art museum, Air Force museum, and a car museum all within 15 minutes drives to choose from. If that doesn't work, spring is just around the corner, and flowers will be blooming again, get that reversing technique of yours back into practice

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:34 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3634 #7 · p.3634 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Had to grab this before Ray did

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1278468

R

I can't believe it!!!! Reagan stole my 135 F2 back-up lens right out from under neath me!!!!

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:16 PM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3634 #8 · p.3634 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dhamments wrote:
Nice one Ram! I'm not sure how you did it (? stacked multiple exposure), but the result is outstanding!!

Cheers and good light
David

Thank you David. I had taken individual shots of me holding the lenses standing behind the line where I had the Camera holding shot. Then I used layer mask in photoshop to just show the hands.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3634 #9 · p.3634 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken - Now that's a beautiful dashboard.

Ray - What are friends for.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3634 #10 · p.3634 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Snowing...AGAIN!

Gus/180/2.8AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

FoggyValley/180/2.8AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ken Hill
• • •
p.3634 #11 · p.3634 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I can't believe it!!!! Reagan stole my 135 F2 back-up lens right out from under neath me!!!!

Both of you STOP it ! I don't have mine even though I don't want one

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:23 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #12 · p.3634 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, the Lincoln looks great in B&W.

Leighton, love the tones on Foggy Valley, but Gus could take some more contrasts in my opinion ;-) Love the shallow DoF delivered by your 180.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:32 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3634 #13 · p.3634 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, don't worry, Reagan will sell it in a few months.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:34 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #14 · p.3634 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank goodness for the "like" button!

Gregg - congrats on the 55 macro. Where did you find a BNIB one? They are very sharp at distance too.

Mr. G wrote:

I have to start liquidating my late mothers extensive stamp collections so this lens
...Show more

Gregg, shooting subjects like stamps should work great with the 55 Micro, as the Micro's are built for close to zero distortion and no field curvature. Nice portrait of Paul the best cat

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.3634 #15 · p.3634 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken

Love the Lincoln, I'm a gear head from way back. Is she yours? I stick to motorcycles these days, I can't afford to play with cars.

The cat photo was actually me testing out a newly acquired lens. He was sitting on my sloppy pile of files on the wing of my desk. Since I was testing the lens, I was shooting wide open to verify that it was sharp. More luck then artistic intent. The photo posted was the best of three of Pauly (the cat).

A lot of what you will see in this thread is members playing with depth of field, usually wide open or close to it. One of the reasons I got into the MF lenses is the shallow depth of field at low cost. I have bought seven MH Nikkors for the cost of one f1.4 G series lens. At such shallow depth of field the focus point usually has to be set manually anyways.

Gregg

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:39 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3634 #16 · p.3634 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ken, the Lincoln looks great in B&W.

Leighton, love the tones on Foggy Valley, but Gus could take some more contrasts in my opinion ;-) Love the shallow DoF delivered by your 180.

Thanks Georg, something like this?

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.3634 #17 · p.3634 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton
Gus has that "Do I have to pose again, it's cold out here" look. Beautiful bokeh on that 180mm.

Ram
Great idea with the arms, very well executed.

Cadman
Scary looking caterpillar. Your macro work is amazing

David
Your Flicker embedment of the pond/creek showed up for me earlier but is not doing so now

I am enjoying all of the photos here immensely. Please keep them coming

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3634 #18 · p.3634 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Georg, something like this?

Leighton, sorry, I don't have better words to describe it: the overall contrast is still too muted for my personal taste. I usually don't worry about clipping the highlights. As of now your fine shot looks too lifeless for me.
Maybe you could send me a link to a NEF or maybe small sized 16-bit TIFF or PSD-file and I could edit it (no grain added, promised ;-)

edit: Maybe it's the use of the radial-filter: is it possible to create "fake backlight" with it? Or could it be the vignetting-effect that makes your fine shot look a bit flat

Edited on Mar 07, 2014 at 03:54 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:48 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3634 #19 · p.3634 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ken, don't worry, Reagan will sell it in a few months.

Probably right
I only bought it because Ray has one

R

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:52 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.3634 #20 · p.3634 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton, sorry, I don't have better words to describe it: the overall contrast is still too muted for my personal taste. I usually don't worry about clipping the highlights. As of now your fine shot looks too lifeless for me.
Maybe you could send me a link to a NEF or maybe small sized 16-bit TIFF or PSD-file and I could edit it (no grain added, promised ;-)

It's a white dog in snow......Not too much contrast to begin with.

I seem to remember some semi famous artist in the 60's painted a canvas titled "White Elephant in Snow" that was all white with no texturing of the paint. If memory serves it sold for big bucks.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password