Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3614      
       3616              4265       4266       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3615 #1 · p.3615 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ram, congrats to your new 105/2.5 Ais!

Andy, nice shots of Mork. My favs are #6409 and #6430.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3615 #2 · p.3615 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - Love the set, especially the second one with the play on shadows. Getting down on it's level helped tremendously as well!

Nancy - The sunset image is perfectly framed. The people standing there also add a lot to the image and tells a story. One more thing...that little glistening of light on the board balances nicely with the setting sun, well seen!

Andy - I'm sorry, but everytime I see or hear the word "dingo", I can't help to think of the old TV show Seinfeld. Some of you old-timers might remember what I mean.

Samy - Thanks for the history of the 10.5. These are a great addition to the thread. It helps to make this one of the best resources on the internet for MFNG.

Edited on Feb 27, 2014 at 01:21 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3615 #3 · p.3615 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nancy and Ram - how are you carrying your 400/3.5's? I have a Think-Tank "Glass Taxi" that works very well with chubby AF-lenses, but is not a good fir for the 400/3.5. Thinking about a Domke or Tenba "long lens case". Don't need maximum protection, just a nicely fitting bag to protect the lens in a car or when walking more than just a few steps to a location.
Many thanks in advance!

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3615 #4 · p.3615 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - I went back to look at your last set and noticed the details of the butchers sign, I love it! If that were used in this country, there would be all kinds of folks up in arms.

One more thing...how are you liking Perfect Effect in comparison to SEP2? I haven't had the chance to play with mine yet.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM
lsds
• •
p.3615 #5 · p.3615 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Andy - I'm sorry, but everytime I see or hear the word "dingo", I can't help to think of the old TV show Seinfeld. Some of you old=timers might remember what I mean.

@Andy:you mean Elaine's comment?

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3615 #6 · p.3615 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

lsds wrote:
@Andy:you mean Elaine's comment?

Yea, that's the one.

Feb 27, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Jeephoto

p.3615 #7 · p.3615 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

4mpx wrote:

Last Monday, I went out birding with my old 50-300 and got some impressive shots !

D800, AI-S 50-300mm f/4.5 ED.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/zzek5.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/qsxq1.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/cxz4l.jpg

Awesome bird photographs; this is exactly what I want to achieve with my 50-300 4.5 Ais.

Thanks for sharing.

~ Larry

Feb 27, 2014 at 01:44 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3615 #8 · p.3615 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Georg - I went back to look at your last set and noticed the details of the butchers sign, I love it! If that were used in this country, there would be all kinds of folks up in arms.

One more thing...how are you liking Perfect Effect in comparison to SEP2? I haven't had the chance to play with mine yet.

Thanks, Leighton! I don't really understand your comment about "all kind of folks up in arms". Are you talking about Peta-folks or other rather militant animal-liberationists?
Regarding Perfect Effects: I just played with it a little, so can't say much about it's performance. For finely tuned B&W-conversions SEP2 is hard to beat and Perfect Effects is for sure not the right tool to challenge SEP in this department.
For someone who want's to play with already taken shots, enhancing colors or pumping up the contrasts, adding a border or vignetting or for straight-forward B&W-conversions Perfect Effects is a mighty tool.
Maybe I post a little comparison for straight-forward conversions later.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:15 PM
lsds
• •
p.3615 #9 · p.3615 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yea, that's the one.

Heard that one(the real story) turned out to be true in the end..wrongfully accused huh??

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3615 #10 · p.3615 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks, Leighton! I don't really understand your comment about "all kind of folks up in arms". Are you talking about Peta-folks or other rather militant animal-liberationists?
Regarding Perfect Effects: I just played with it a little, so can't say much about it's performance. For finely tuned B&W-conversions SEP2 is hard to beat and Perfect Effects is for sure not the right tool to challenge SEP in this department.
For someone who want's to play with already taken shots, enhancing colors or pumping up the contrasts, adding a border or vignetting or for straight-forward B&W-conversions Perfect Effects is a mighty tool.
Maybe I
...Show more

Hi Georg and Leighton,

I played with one file and inspired by some of the recent B&W you, Scott and other have posted. This program seems to be a fast way to get the effects as they have many preset options and very little user options to get the effect you want. Here's one from Disney, the first out of the camera and the second using Perfect Effects only. I'll say it's very easy to use and seems fast.

Ken Hill 2014

SOOC

NIKON D700    200mm    f/3.5    1/25s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

Perfect Effect with HDR and B&W max enhancements

NIKON D700    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    200mm    f/3.5    1/25s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ken Hill
• • •
p.3615 #11 · p.3615 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray,

The V1 is at your disposal!

PS with the new lens it will be a 364mm F2!!!

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:32 PM
ttexastom

p.3615 #12 · p.3615 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have been thinking of picking up a 80-200, what is the consensus of this board, which is the best one the 4.0 or the 4.5.
tom

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:39 PM
HCE HCE
• •
p.3615 #13 · p.3615 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nancy Nice surfboard shot, hope tose are not sharks out there in the water!

Scott Thanks for the link! Retro is in, and it is great to see some great images are still being made with such historical gear.

Ray Hope your camera gets back in record time.

Ken Leave it to me to like the before photo better!

Georg Nice set, and I like the old sign best.

Another 28mm f/2.8 shot with the D800.

Peter, that one lens exercise was a great idea.
-Jay-

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:51 PM
raboof
• • •
p.3615 #14 · p.3615 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We like them both but I think we tend to favor the AI version with a rectangular rear.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:54 PM
ramkumar999
• •
p.3615 #15 · p.3615 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Nancy and Ram - how are you carrying your 400/3.5's? I have a Think-Tank "Glass Taxi" that works very well with chubby AF-lenses, but is not a good fir for the 400/3.5. Thinking about a Domke or Tenba "long lens case". Don't need maximum protection, just a nicely fitting bag to protect the lens in a car or when walking more than just a few steps to a location.
Many thanks in advance!

I used to use an old lemans camera bag which allows me to keep the lense unmounted in horizontal position.Once on location I usually mount and walk around resting the lens on my shoulders. However, now I have a Domke long lens bag which can store the lens with the D600 mounted on it.
Hope this helps.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:01 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3615 #16 · p.3615 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ttexastom wrote:
I have been thinking of picking up a 80-200, what is the consensus of this board, which is the best one the 4.0 or the 4.5.
tom

I think the consensus would have to be the Nikon 80-200mm AI f/4.5 with the rectangular baffle on the mount end. If you're interested, PM me, I have one I'll sell you cheap.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:09 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3615 #17 · p.3615 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken Hill wrote:
Hi Georg and Leighton,

I played with one file and inspired by some of the recent B&W you, Scott and other have posted. This program seems to be a fast way to get the effects as they have many preset options and very little user options to get the effect you want. Here's one from Disney, the first out of the camera and the second using Perfect Effects only. I'll say it's very easy to use and seems fast.

Thanks for the demo Ken, I'll have better look at it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3615 #18 · p.3615 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Maybe I
...Show more

Yes, just that.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:12 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3615 #19 · p.3615 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

georgms wrote:
Maybe I
...Show more
leighton w wrote:
Yes, just that.

Okay, got it now. The activists's focus is more on giant factory farming projects - there's an industrial-style stable for 15.500 pigs in the works here for instance. And this cutlet-factory is something I don't like too. Small-scale farming and local marketing is the way to go in my opinion ;-)

Sorry for the off-topic stuff.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:36 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3615 #20 · p.3615 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Shot some images with the 400/3.5 today (on assignment). Initial impressions: the focus is super-smooth - it doesn't get better than this. Can't complain about sharpness and contrast so far, but shot just from a monopod under less than ideal conditions. There's a bit of longitudinal CA's to detect, but in a close to irrelevant amount (observed on no critical subjects, could be worse in high-contrast-scenes).
I've paid less than 500 Euros for it incl. shipping and feel quite happy so far.

Here's a very first test-shot, heavily cropped and converted from a JPEG in Perfect Effects:

She was having a bath - that's why the feather-like looking hair - 400/3.5 IF-ED Ais wide open, cropped, converted* in Perfect Effects
*) presets "B&W - snappy warm" and "Borders - Sloppy Border #4" used, no local brush or something like this

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password