Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3530      
       3532              4320       4321       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3531 #1 · p.3531 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

In celebration of Ben's visit, a snap taken with Nikki's sister.

85 1.8 HC

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:30 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3531 #2 · p.3531 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rolubich wrote:
Georg, you have a very good memory! Feel free to consider my file as it was yours.

I hope I will have more time to take pictures in the near future, anyway I keep following all of you and enjoying your pictures.

Another blast from the past. Good to hear from you Roberto. Please post some of your work.
Scott

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3531 #3 · p.3531 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

nice one Scott!

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:39 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3531 #4 · p.3531 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Gregg great work with the 200mm I love the last one - such power!
Andy great series and very well documented
John you live in such a beautiful place, nice photo!
Ben it's great to see you posting. My favorite is the little girl getting her picture taken - good eye!
Georg is there any lens you can't use Well done and BTW I loved your photos using the V1!
Chin nice to see you have a Shell station too
Scott I love the framing in this photo. I am so glad that you included the house. BTW Is that the Masons house from before?

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3531 #5 · p.3531 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Roberto, I'm very glad to hear/read from you again! I recall some of your shots with the PC 35/2.8 (a theatre hall and a tree, if memory serves).
Thanks for sharing your test - very interesting and I took the liberty to save your collage as strictly personal and private used reference.
Hope that's okay, otherwise I would delete "my copy".

It was really cold today and I just shot a couple of frames - handheld and not careful about technical and pictorial quality.
This quick and dirty "test" confirmed your results - the fully shifted) corners are soft, no matter
...Show more

Nice example Georg. If I shot a lot of architecture I'd surely have one of these. For now I think I can get by with the lens correction feature in LR.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:20 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3531 #6 · p.3531 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
In celebration of Ben's visit, a snap taken with Nikki's sister.

I like the perspective of this one. Would have been better with the 50-135!

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3531 #7 · p.3531 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ben's here? Have I been asleep?

It is true I've not posted for some time but I still check out the thread from time to time. Today I got a PM from an FMer who came upon the Great Nikon Adventure and said he'd like to be included the "next time" we did it. I wrote back mentioning the generous fellow who loaned us a lens, convinced in my heart that Ben was forever lost in ZeissLand... that's a big island in the south Pacific, right?

You guys amaze me and yet why should I be surprised that Nikon manual focus glass would continue to inspire folks as it did for me three and a half years ago when I started this thread? Wonderful work and as always, great camaraderie on this thread. I've no idea when my camera will reach my hand again in a world of dead grass and bare trees. When it does, you'll see me here more regularly. Until then, hats off to everyone who has found a cyber home on this thread. Be well everyone!

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3531 #8 · p.3531 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Ben's here? Have I been asleep?

It is true I've not posted for some time but I still check out the thread from time to time. Today I got a PM from an FMer who came upon the Great Nikon Adventure and said he'd like to be included the "next time" we did it. I wrote back mentioning the generous fellow who loaned us a lens, convinced in my heart that Ben was forever lost in ZeissLand... that's a big island in the south Pacific, right?

You guys amaze me and yet why should I be surprised that Nikon manual
...Show more

I knew Ben's appearance would wake you up!

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:40 PM
Fons Baerken

p.3531 #9 · p.3531 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

35-70mm f/3.5 72mm d800

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3531 #10 · p.3531 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We've taken a mini road trip in the Vette and we're in South Carolina about half-way as the crow flies to where Leighton lives.

Leighton - I like the BW of the field and the color shot with cattle guard in the forefront sets it off perfectly.

Jay - It was 17degrees her last night so I'll go back a couple of pages to the great fireplace log you posted a few days ago.

Georg - I shot a few with the Nikon1 V. What do you think?

Ray - So you have a machine shop in the family? Nice wide open shot of the globe.

Mr. G - I can't imagine that shot being as good as it is without pink hair .... Good eye!

Andy - Really like the last shot of the series

John - Two for one in the pano very neat

Ben - The paper bag in the first pic for me at least set the angle and set the tone. Very creative.

I brought the D800 along but the tablet I have chokes at the file size. I'm posting two more shot with the V1, the first:
102 2.5 @ F8 the second the 50 1.2 also at F8.

I put them up against the 70-300Vr and they are as sharp but 10 times the work to get the shot without decent metering and focus confirmation.

Ken Hill 2014

105 2.5 F8 with 2.7 crop 283mm

NIKON 1 V1    FT1 lens    0mm    f/0.0    1/640s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

50mm 1.2 with 2.7 crop 135mm

NIKON 1 V1    FT1 lens    0mm    f/0.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2014 at 07:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mishu01
• • • •
p.3531 #11 · p.3531 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yep, don't be a stranger Ben! Great to see you back!

Curtis, if you are preparing a second list, make sure to stick my name on it. I need such as impulse to become more active...

BTW after a very mild half of the winter now the whole hardship of it is over our part of the world.

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:12 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3531 #12 · p.3531 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Ben, so good to see you back! We have missed you and your great work from "down under." Very nice series you posted. Leighton has managed to get about a half dozen of us to pick up a copy of the 50-135. He is relentless. Of course, you put a spell on me and now I have a copy of the 85 1.8 HC "Nikki". One of my favorite lenses to use. Please keep posting and do not be a stranger.
Scott

thank you for the big welcome everyone - very much appreciated.

Scott - - it's great to see the 85 mm 1.8HC still being used. Yeah, Leighton got me to buy the 50 - 135 about a year ago too. And I've lost count of the lenses Curtis forced me to buy.

Curtis - posting a few homilies and then disappearing won't wash. If I have to launch a new lens adventure, I will!

Ken - thank you for the insightful comment. We're on the same page. I saw those guys smoking in the alley, snapped 3 or 4 shots but the bag was only in one of them (it blew away) - and I thought it made all the difference too.

ben

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:54 PM
Jeephoto

p.3531 #13 · p.3531 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Triumph Tiger XC800 front wheel and disc brakes

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 ais, 1/4000 @ 2.8, ISO 200

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 ais, 1/3200 @ 2.8, ISO 200

~ Larry

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:09 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3531 #14 · p.3531 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, nice to hear from the father of this wonderful thread! I hope you'll find some spare time for photography when the flowering-seasons is in full bloom ;-)

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3531 #15 · p.3531 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Curtis - posting a few homilies and then disappearing won't wash. If I have to launch a new lens adventure, I will!

ben

Perhaps that Zeiss 135/2 wants to experience a bit more of the world... Of course, you'd have to post THOSE photos on the Alternative Gear forum.

Honestly, we were very fortunate in the lens you made available since it was not one any of us had in our kit. I'm afraid another go round would make the challenge of finding another lens even more difficult, though one thought did cross my mind. Seeing Georg's recent work with the 35 f/2.8 PC lens makes me wonder whether that might be a lens that would both challenge and excite folks to give it another go. Needless to say, few of us have experience with one of these lenses and learning to use one would certainly pose challenges worthy of this august group... I include you in that comment too Ben...

Of course, like your 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, this is not an inexpensive lens so it is not likely those few folks who own one would be inclined to send it around the world. And if it is a pre-AI version, we'd be called upon to do stop down metering, something I can't remember ever having done. There are AI versions of the lens but they become even more precious. This is the least expensive copy I found on E-Bay...

Nikon PC 35 f/2.8 AI for $290.00

But I'm not sure this crowd is up for another 11 month adventure... though the thread will surely be going strong for a LONG time.

Nice to see you on the thread Ben. You got me talking...

Edited on Jan 25, 2014 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:28 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3531 #16 · p.3531 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Larry, I like the angle of your second frontwheel-shot. Adding the shadow to the main subject is a great idea in many cases.

Ken, the 105/2.5 seem to work very well on the V1 - I really like the colors and clarity of your shot with this combo. My comment about "very few lenses are well suited for the V1" was about wider/greater apertures, when optical shortcomings like CA's/bokeh-fringing and lacking sharpness are more visible.
Framing/composing/focusing is really hard with the V1 and longer lenses, especially when the combo is handheld. Right now the V1 is my "Coaches&concerts-cam" - with the VR-equipped AF-S 200/2, sometimes a TC-17E added, it is a silent long-reach-combo.

Fons, I like your moody B&W-shot a lot. The processing is a great match for the atmosphere. Never tried the 35-70/3.5 - maybe I should ;-)

Scott, the sparse colors and your framing are great on your fine church-spire-shot.

Chin, excellent composition on your street-shot.

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:31 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3531 #17 · p.3531 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good to see you make an appearance Curtis - much missed for sure.

I'd love to see your 16/3.5 AI make a trip around the world . . .

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3531 #18 · p.3531 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John... why MINE when you have TWO?

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:40 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3531 #19 · p.3531 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm afraid another go round would make the challenge of finding another lens even more difficult, though one thought did cross my mind. Seeing Georg's recent work with the 35 f/2.8 PC lens makes me wonder whether that might be a lens that would both challenge and excite folks to give it another go. Needless to say, few of us have experience with one of these lenses and learning to use one would certainly pose challenges worthy of this august group... I include you in that comment too Ben...

Of course, like your 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, this is not
...Show more

Curtis, I see there is an offer in on this lens already. Must be you up to your usual tricks. Seriously thought, it is good to see your following us "kids". The idea of another around the world lens is very interesting.

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:52 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3531 #20 · p.3531 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
John... why MINE when you have TWO?

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM
       3532              4320       4321       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell