FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3509      
       3511              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3510 #1 · p.3510 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ram, I'm really glad that you've become part of the thread-family. Beautiful work at the Everglades.

Steve, I like your Pacific-Coast-image from the early days of digital photography ;-)

Jose, congrats to your new Zoom-Nikkor's! Love the portrait of your balcony-guest. There must have been strange things going on at the balconies over you, judging by the Kiskadee's expression ;-) The Burrowing Owl is wonderful as well.

Reagan, very nice portrait of the dog!

Buddy, another beautiful set from the woods!

Samy, I really enjoy looking at your shots with the S2! The stained glass window is beautifully captured - excellent exposure.

Gregg, love your takes (trying to mimic movie-language) on the Fillmore-train.

Leighton, the stool is an eye-catcher. Love the punchy colors and contrasts.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3510 #2 · p.3510 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another one from the beach:

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
just a test-exposure to check the contrasts for a later shot, but somehow I liked the shadows
28/2 Ai, f/5.6, D3s, slightly cropped and rotated

Thanks for the comments on the tracks - Jose, the suspect is as usual here a seagull, if I'm not mistaken...
Stuff like the tracks a becoming favorite subjects lately, don't know if that's good or not ;-)

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM
lsds
• •
p.3510 #3 · p.3510 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

@Georg:nice BW beach image..love the perspective and tones..any PP darkening done?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3510 #4 · p.3510 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

lsds wrote:
@Kevin:Hang in there buddy..hope you feel better soon..It will be terrible I am sure to see your MF treasures go but health is the prime concern..
Had a colleague with a herniated disc who was suffering all the more with a EOS 1D(some series??beats me)..He tried a back support frame and leather contraption for some time but it worsened the situation..Now an Olympus with a 17mm is his companion .probably mirrorless is the only go and there are some fantastic options i guess..have you considered any?

I have tried the Fuji X-Series and I did enjoy them. I tried the XE1 and the X100 (not the S). The X100 was OK, but it was the initial firmware and I heard it is practically a different camera now. I really liked the XE1. Only issue I had was PP work took more time. That is getting better as the XTrans is being supported better. That option is kind of where I am leaning again. I can still use my Nikon glass if I want with an adapter, and the Fuji glass is quite good.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3510 #5 · p.3510 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks, Lestor! I've used one of my go-to-presets in SilverEfex as starting point and worked from there.
There's a lot of tweaks and so involved, but the really dark tones are rather lifted than further darkened.
Here's the original shot, processed with a VSCO Kodak Portra 160 NC-preset:

pretty contrasty image to start with

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:42 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3510 #6 · p.3510 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lestor, sorry, I don't know what could cause the rattling sound in your 20/2.8.

Kevin, I really hope you'll find a way to continue shooting with your loved MF-Nikkor's.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM
lsds
• •
p.3510 #7 · p.3510 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

@Kevin:Have you checked the Sony or Panasonic MFT mirrorless systems?heard it is very light and has some amazing lenses too esp the leica optics designed ones for Panasonic mft?

@Georg:Nice contrast..I long for PP ability.Still shooting jpeg sadly

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3510 #8 · p.3510 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

I have had my D600 for a year now and there is not a day goes by that it doesn't amazes me. Building my kit around this great camera has been such a fun experience. Before I got the D600 I had already added the 16mm 3.5, 300 4.5 EDIF, 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. Last year I added the 180mm 2.8, 105 P AI'D, 20mm 3.5 and the 55mm 1.2. This year I got the 55mm 3.5Micro and the 135mm 2.0 so far.
I really do not want to go with longer telephotos. I have the 300 plus the TC14A.
...Show more

Ray, you've put together a mighty fine MF-kit. I'm a bit clueless what additional lenses would work for you. Maybe a 25-50/4 would cover the wide to normal focal-length-range when you're on the road with the 85/1.4 or 135/2 (same 72mm-filter-thread, just in case you wanna share a polarizer).
The same in a smaller scale can be said for the 28-45 or 28-50 - those zoom's would work well with the 105/2.5 (and the 20/3.5) for a lighter set.
Or just save the money for the upcoming wedding

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3510 #9 · p.3510 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^^^^^^^^^
You could follow Ronny,Phillippe,and Ben down the Zeiss path

Reagan

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Mr. G
• • •
p.3510 #10 · p.3510 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great photos today all. My favorite is Ram's Sunset shot.

Thanks to all for your nice comments on my train shots. Fillmore and the abandoned tracks 10 miles from my home, makes for an easy target.

I need to go back and do more wide angle work on the abandoned rails. I am not yet completely satisfied with the results so far.

Funny story about the abandoned track shots. I was laying across the rails about 100 feet east of a grade crossing on a seldom used farm road. My neck was on the track looking away from the grade crossing while composing and shooting. All of a sudden I hear someone yell "Hey You". I roll over and look up and see that a Chippie has rolled up on me. He saw me laying across the tracks with my neck on the rail and thought I was trying to commit suicide on the abandoned spur line. I showed him the camera and explained. Made for a funny story for both of us.

Gregg

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr. G
• • •
p.3510 #11 · p.3510 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Regarding lens rattles. Both of my MF Nikkors with CRC rattle a bit when shaken. Via internet research it seems that this is not unusual for CRC lenses (and you know everything's true on the internet .... ). All of my AF Nikkors with VR rattle as much or more. Both CRC and VR have loose elements that move independently of the rest of the lens.

Gregg

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:20 AM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.3510 #12 · p.3510 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Lestor, your 20mm images are getting my NAS started on wide angle.
George, I love the black and white photo better. Love the dog positioned at rule of thirds. Thank you for your kind words. Shooting with MF glass and sharing it here is the best part of my day.

Thank you Gregg, Ray for your compliment.

I have couple more images to share from the sunset. Taken on the 105mm f2.5 AIS., last two are wide open.

Crow by ramkumar999, on Flickr

My Lover for life by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Waiting for the canvas to paint itself by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:02 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3510 #13 · p.3510 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Gregg, great railhead perspective.

Andy, wonderful soapy colors and patterns.

Leighton, red doors and red car doors. Love it.

Kevin, nice capture of the lone snail.

Samy, like the inner harbor series.

Buddy, nice series from the woods.

Lestor, I like the tree lined path.

Ram, nice series. I like the side profile in the last image.

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:12 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3510 #14 · p.3510 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I was drawn to the warmth of this simple scene. The setting sun casting warm light on the bright orange locomotive. The snow covered cold hills beyond reveal the truth that it is still below freezing. Taken with the 35 f2 Ai.
Thanks for looking,
Scott

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:22 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3510 #15 · p.3510 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steve the coastal scene is wonderfully framed - very nice

Buddy thanks for the suggestions. The 200 mm macro sounds very interesting and I really enjoyed using Reagan's 28 mm 2.0

Lestor I love the shot using the 20 mm 2.8. Especially the treatment!

Georg I really love the B&W Using the 28 mm 2.0, That's a lens that interests me but to tell you the truth I really love your use of the 24 mm 2.0 Hmmmmm
Thanks for the suggestions and in theory they make a lot of sense. I just don't really like zooms much, although if I were to get one the 25-50 would really fit the bill.

Reagan thanks but I could never afford Zeiss

Gregg funny story I can imagine how it looked to that poor guy

Ram great shots!!!

Scott I really love the colors in your photo. You can really make that 35 mm 2.0 sing great stuff!!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:34 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3510 #16 · p.3510 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

lsds wrote:
@buddy:lovely pics of your favorite subjects.Is that your daughter with the AF?.so when will you introduce her to the world of MF lenses?

Lestor, actually she's my girlfriend .

We love to go out together and take photographs. We were out in the woods for about 6 hours that day but spent a lot of time with the dogs rather then taking pictures.

As for manual focus lenses,

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:11 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3510 #17 · p.3510 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments and likes guys.

A LOT of great work from you all on the last few pages. I've hit the "like" button many times.

This is my favorite one, very nice Ram.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3510 #18 · p.3510 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We had what are called "Wave" clouds yesterday morning. Very rare for us anyway. Taken with the 28mm.

Wave Clouds/28/2.8AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM
dhamments
• • •
p.3510 #19 · p.3510 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ramkumar999 wrote:
I have couple more images to share from the sunset. Taken on the 105mm f2.5 AIS., last two are wide open.

Thanks for the inspiration Ram! After seeing your post I also took my 105 and 50 ais out for sunset tonight.... in Bunbury the locals will often fish at sunset, or have a cold adult beverage as the sun sets.

DSC_7651 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_7656 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

This thread provides so much inspiration and encouragement... it's no wonder there are so many posts!

Cheers and good light,
David

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.3510 #20 · p.3510 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy the dogs are a bunch of fun and I bet they play when they see cameras. Good series, thanks!
Reagan, nice pup. The dealer has the Vette overnight and I have a new loaner overnight ... he's making it tough to say no! Something tells me the spring return is off your lens and no big deal to fix or go without.
Jose great capture of the Kiskadee and fine work with the lens. Seems to be sharps and render good color which are among my key factors in lens selection.
Steve the Cal coast capture is very good and the tree limb puts it over the top.
Ray, Imagine doing 25000 MPH in that thing. Nice pic!
Lester nice shot good tones. FWIW my 20 2.8 is pretty solid, no noise from it at all.
Georg, maybe it's the Florida in me but the color rendition of the beach is the one I prefer.
Leighton love the clouds and the framing from the hillside. (If you haven't notices the "hoop houses" are snow free!!)

Gregg, Scott I was going to post some people shots from the market but your trains make me pull a few taken that day. Lakeland is the home of the "orange Blossom Special" and the tracks run thru the center of town, market or no market day. Here are three, one B&W the other boring so its cropped and centered to break the rule of thirds. Tracks are best captured low in my experience.

Ken Hill 2014

Downtown Lakeland

NIKON D700    135mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

Not much doing east of town!

NIKON D700    55mm    f/16.0    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ken Hill 2014

I think she was pointing at me!

NIKON D700    55mm    f/16.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1       2       3              3509      
       3511              5889       5890       end