FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3462      
       3464              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3463 #1 · p.3463 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finally today I am starting to feel a little bit like myself. Unfortunately today is the first rainy cloudy day in a while - Oh well....
Thanks you for all of the well wishes. Just going over the last couple days.

Scott that's an awesome scene. I so remember seeing those cobble stone foundations on barns where I grew up in Ohio.

Buddy I love the look of your 50mm 1.4 such a classic lens.

Samy I appreciate the comment. Hope your warmer temps last a while.

Thank you Leighton. I have enjoyed your florals. So refreshing to see some color and I know that you and Barbara enjoyed the break from the cold days of winter.

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure of their Norse background but a couple of our cronies ride those.
I love your photos of the shop. Such curiosities certainly bring back memories of by gone days. Nice!!!

Chin the textures are terrific, especially against the greenery!

Jammyn you really nailed the focus on the squirrel and the bokeh is wonderful!

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:09 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3463 #2 · p.3463 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by Laura's and Ken's V-shots I tried the neat Ais 85/2 on the V1 today. Nothing special, just the signs of spring. It's really difficult to nail focus with the V1, at least when shooting handheld and not from a steady tripod. My procedure is some kind of focus-bracketing. But every slightly move when holding the camera will have a huge affect on the framing.

Any way, here are two quick shots, both with Nikon 1 V1 at ISO100, Ais 85/2 wide open mounted with the FT-1-adapter:

Krokusse NikonV1 + Ais-Nikkor 85/2 von georgsfoto auf Flickr
from a JPEG, no cropping, adjusted whitepoint and "resized+saved for web"
the bokeh looks shabby, but the background was challenging for any lens on the V1
(maybe except for the expensive 32/1.2)

from a NEF, no cropping, just very basic adjustments made in ACR

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:12 PM
ramkumar999
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3463 #3 · p.3463 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Inspired by Laura's and Ken's V-shots I tried the neat Ais 85/2 on the V1 today. Nothing special, just the signs of spring. It's really difficult to nail focus with the V1, at least when shooting handheld and not from a steady tripod. My procedure is some kind of focus-bracketing. But every slightly move when holding the camera will have a huge affect on the framing.

Any way, here are two quick shots, both with Nikon 1 V1 at ISO100, Ais 85/2 wide open mounted with the FT-1-adapter:
https://v4s.yimg.com/sk/3789/12676509503_01f0f504cd_b.jpg
from a JPEG, no cropping, adjusted
...Show more

Really love both shots, especially the second one with a better cleaner background.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:18 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3463 #4 · p.3463 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg I have been enjoying the photos using the V1 lately. I have been considering getting one of these little cameras especially for distance and macro. Very nice examples of what it can do in the right hands.
Kevin I think this might just be the camera that you are looking for

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3463 #5 · p.3463 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ramkumar and Ray - thanks! I like the second shot better too, I'm just - as usual - not really happy with the framing ;-)

Ray, the V1 is in my opinion not a replacement for any "serious" camera. It's fun to mount long lenses on it for some "long-distance-gunning", but at close or medium range it's best to mount native/genuine 1series-lenses. The tiny 10mm/2.8 is nice and a fellow photographer loves his neat 18.5mm/1.8 too.
The V1 is a great tool for close range street-photography with native 1-lenses and works quite well with very few FX-Nikkors too, but again it's not a good camera/system for most MF-Nikon-glass-users in my opinion.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:34 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3463 #6 · p.3463 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the insight Georg. Just the advice I was looking for. Ken has been sharing his thoughts as well and although it has limitations, I can see it would be a fun adventure to go along with my D600

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:44 PM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.3463 #7 · p.3463 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am planning to drive to Tampa this weekend., so I am thinking I will take my D40 and couple of manual focus lenses alone. So it makes a nice small kit.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:55 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.3463 #8 · p.3463 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am planning to drive to Tampa this weekend., so I am thinking I will take my D40 and couple of manual focus lenses alone. So it makes a nice small kit.

I actually still own my D40 (my first DSLR) and am interested in using it as a small travel/street body. How easy/hard do you find it to manually focus these old lenses on that body?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.3463 #9 · p.3463 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
First run on the challenge - today in a local coffee/curiosity shop.

Great images Peter! Love the BW conversion.

Chin, you have a great sense of composition!

Jammy & Ramkumar, nice squirrels!

Georg... what a surprise! Flowers from you! Good!
Thanks also for your insight about V1. I was on the edge a few times but I'll pass.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:11 PM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.3463 #10 · p.3463 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
I actually still own my D40 (my first DSLR) and am interested in using it as a small travel/street body. How easy/hard do you find it to manually focus these old lenses on that body?

Thanks!

I most often use the focus confirmation dot and get 90% correct most of the time.. Metering takes 2-3 shots to get correct., but otherwise, I find them very easy.. Especially with wide angle lens such as 28mm or 35mm, most of the shots are taken at infinity focus only..

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3463 #11 · p.3463 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, I'm so glad you're feeling better. That's one of the worse ailments, IMHO.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:18 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3463 #12 · p.3463 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thanks for the insight Georg. Just the advice I was looking for. Ken has been sharing his thoughts as well and although it has limitations, I can see it would be a fun adventure to go along with my D600

Okay, Ray, let me list some pro's and con's of the V1…

pro point's:
- EN-EL15-battery - no need to deal with another charger, another type of batteries - a big +point
- completely silent operation in electronic shutter mode: absolutely quiet, great for use during readings, classical concerts or ultra-close street-portraiture ;-)
- giant buffer for really long bursts
- the V1's body feels good in terms of material and build-quality
- AF is superfast with native Nikon-1-glass (for those who care about AF ;-)

the con's:
- ergonomics - even with the highly recommended Fotodiox-grip handling with longer lenses doesn't feel right
- limited long-times with the lens-adapter FT-1: longest possible shutterspeed is about 2/3 sec
- the tiny sensor will merciless show the shortcomings of the lens: be prepared to see a boatload of bokeh-fringing (longitudinal CA's) and really soft details when shooting most lenses at wider apertures
- no way to fire the V1 as a remote-camera except with the ML-2 infrared-trigger (would get another V1 to use as remote-camera for certain sports or events)
- no standard flash-shoe or even PC-sync-terminal

The obtainable image-quality can be pretty good if very good lenses are used and the photographer is careful (tripod use + very careful focusing for long lenses).

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.3463 #13 · p.3463 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

With this turmoil from Ukraine I went today over the pictures I took back in the summer of 2011 in Kyiv. The first one is at the crossroad where starts the (now) famous Euromaidan.

the next one from a nice old street hosting a flea market

and this night shot represents one famous restaurant from a traditional local chain "Puzata Hata"

All with Nikon D300 and 45/2.8 AI-P

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:35 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3463 #14 · p.3463 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg thank you for the tips about the V1. It give me a lot to think about. I was originally thinking of getting the V1 to use with perhaps the older 80-400 for birding. Does the auto focus work well the the D lenses?

Great street images Mahai with that beautiful 45mmP

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3463 #15 · p.3463 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
With this turmoil from Ukraine I went today over the pictures I took back in the summer of 2011 in Kyiv. The first one is at the crossroad where starts the (now) famous Euromaidan.

Interesting perspective, I bet it doesn't even resemble this now. I hope the unrest will not bleed over into neighboring countries.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:52 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3463 #16 · p.3463 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg thank you for the tips about the V1. It give me a lot to think about. I was originally thinking of getting the V1 to use with perhaps the older 80-400 for birding. Does the auto focus work well the the D lenses?

Great street images Mahai with that beautiful 45mmP

The V1 can autofocus with the adapters? I had not heard that... I just wish the chip wasn't so small.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:02 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3463 #17 · p.3463 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
The V1 can autofocus with the adapters? I had not heard that... I just wish the chip wasn't so small.

Yes the Nikon FT1
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/mount_adapter_ft1/
To me the chip size is the reason it works well for what I want. I have seen stunning photos right here of the results!

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:19 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.3463 #18 · p.3463 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just want to say that I am grateful for this thread. I've been running into some articles lately on Yahoo written about some great photos. I looked at
them and they are probably over 75% photoshopped. Is this how they appreciate photos these days? Should those even be considered photos? I guess it's...Yahoo but I am still a bit lost. I am more of a capture of the moment shooter. If it's not there, it's not there. Don't force it too much in PP. Even posing makes me uncomfortable.

Great shots everyone. I've been clicking likes I will take Peter's challenge and post some shots from my fist AI converted lens, a 35mm f2.8 Nikkor-S.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3463 #19 · p.3463 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Philippe, I like the library entry. I enjoy seeing modern European architecture. The style is so different than on this side of the Atlantic pond. Those metal rod x-braces would never be allowed here for fear of someone tripping over them.

Scott, it's not a Library but the Centre Pompidou (called Beaubourg)
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/en

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:39 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3463 #20 · p.3463 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Scott, it's not a Library but the Centre Pompidou (called Beaubourg)
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/en

Ahh! A beautiful Art Gallery. (I do not know French but here goes...) Mon erreur Philippe. Désolé.

Feb 21, 2014 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password