FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3399      
       3401              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3400 #1 · p.3400 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you everyone for the comments on the church village scene. Yes Ray, that is the same masonic building.

Andy, nice series. I like the image of the dog. Nice color and detail.

Curtis, really like the gate shot. It is just missing your signature flowers.

Samy, nice images. The 400 speed film does look grainy doesn't it. We are spoiled by these high-res digital sensors.

Georg, nice work with the PC 35 2.8. If that becomes the around the world lens of choice, you will have to give me lessons on how to use it.

Reagan, nice sunny warm series.

Ben, I forget you are in the middle of summer there. Looking out my window the wind is blowing, everything is white, and the wood fire is a burning. Nice candid street shots.

Peter, fantastic image of Mont Blanc. Were you hang gliding or parachuting to get this perspective?

Chin, like Jay says, this does look like laundry on a line at first.

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Jeephoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3400 #2 · p.3400 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
As an alternative to an "Around the World trip" why not start a "virtual" tour by picking a focal length that is common to many of us, say 28mm?

If Leighton ( or someone else who knows his way round the blogosphere, which I don't) is up to it, we could resuscitate the Nikki blog or set up another?

We could accomplish quite a lot very quickly and then perhaps move to another focal length. Using obscure lenses would limit the interaction, while the 28 2.8 in any form is common and relatively cheap to buy for those who would
...Show more

I'm new here and loving this thread; I come here first each time I get online. I saw some posts when the lens traveled and would have loved participating. How did you decide who got it, how long they kept it, and who got it next?

I think it would be cool if we did a series like mentioned above; pick a certain focal length, or certain lens. Since we are worldwide, each person photograph what is unique to their region with the same lens. Example: Lens - 28 mm, 2.0, 2.8, 3.5; Texas, Dallas Cowboys, Ft Worth Stockyards, Dealey Plaza (JFK assassination); Seattle, ferries, fish market, Space Needle; San Francisco, bridges, streetcars, hills.

Either way y'all decide, I want to be a part of it.

~ Larry

Edited on Jan 26, 2014 at 05:23 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:19 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3400 #3 · p.3400 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Winter street shooting. Even "Life is Good" needs a winter break. Taken with the 25-50 Ai. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:22 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3400 #4 · p.3400 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter - Love the salami shot. I wish our market had something like that.

Chin - Now I Know our market wouldn't have these. A great shot nonetheless.

Scott - Very cool shot with the first one. This is something I've always wanted to try.

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:24 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3400 #5 · p.3400 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeephoto wrote:
I'm new here and loving this thread; I come here first each time I get online. I saw some posts when the lens traveled and would have loved participating. How did you decide who got it, how long they kept it, and who got it next?

I think it would be cool if we did a series like mentioned above; pick a certain focal length, or certain lens. Since we are worldwide, each person photograph what is unique to their region with the same lens. Example: Lens - 28 mm, 2.0, 2.8, 3.5; Texas, Dallas Cowboys, Ft Worth Stockyards, Dealey Plaza
...Show more
Ok Larry, I elect you to spearhead the new adventure! Just kidding.

Curtis and I came up with the idea and then asked who wanted to participate. After that, Curtis wrote out the "rules" and itinerary, while I handled the blog. Each person had it approximately two weeks and then shipped it to the next on the list. Everyone cooperated to a tee with this and it was an honor to be a part of it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:32 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3400 #6 · p.3400 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, thanks. Georg was right, the grain is certainly exaggerated in the scan the shop is doing. The 4X6 prints don't have such obvious grain. But certainly the grain's there at 400 unlike in today's digital world. I am trying the Portra 160 and then the Ilford 50 to see how those look.

BTW Scott, I don't know how you wander around taking such wonderful pictures in temps that are lower than here. I made the effort to drag the tripod along and between fiddling with the tripod settings, changing lenses (and once changing the camera too to try out the FG), my fingers felt like they were about to break into pieces. I guess I need to find warm enough gloves that are thin enough to still allow manipulation of the equipment

A couple from the freezing shoot.

St. Alphonsus Church, downtown Baltimore. Built about 169 years ago. Originally built for a German Catholic congregation, and since 1917 the local Lithuanian community uses it.

28 3.5 PC

St.AlphonsusChurch by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Next two with the 13.5 cm 3.5 Q

ChurchSpire by maryland_photos, on Flickr

WindowExterior by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:17 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3400 #7 · p.3400 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The door to St. Alphonsus Church. 50 1.2 AIS.

ChurchDoor by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And a little gated alleyway nearby. With I am sure a bit of its own history too. Also with the 50 1.2 AIS.

GatedAlleyway by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:29 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3400 #8 · p.3400 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More with the 50 1.2 AIS.

Two more interesting buildings on Saratoga street. The last is a Native American display in a store window on the street.

SaratogaAveBuilding by maryland_photos, on Flickr

SaratogaStBuilding2 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

NativeAmericanDisplay by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3400 #9 · p.3400 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, just how many churches ARE there in Baltimore?

BTW, I really liked your fims shots from a few pages ago.

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Matthew0404
• •
p.3400 #10 · p.3400 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 micro on D800:

Tiny Hands by mkrepp, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oosty
• • • •
p.3400 #11 · p.3400 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Firstly - apologies to Ben. I had mentally welcomed him back but on looking at my posts there's nothing there. Welcome back mate, hope you had a good Australia Day.

Jay - thank you

Mishu - thank you. Remember the D200 was and still is a terrific camera and with improvements in pp technology can still produce good pictures. It has its drawbacks at high iso and presumably for very large prints but I can count the prints of my images on the fingers of one hand so that's not an issue for me.
Hope you stay warm tonite.

Laura - good to see that you keep tabs on us. looking forward to having you back shooting for us soon.

Chin - thank you. The white on the sausage is a preservative and they tasted amazing! Love your squid - lovely to eat.

Scott -thanks. I think this was from the cable station at the to of the Aguille but it might be from the one 3/4 way up.

Leighton - thanks. I'm surprised there's no salami at your market. Is there bacon or ham? I'd have thought hickory smoked ham would be a natural.

George - thank you.

Samy - I like all your latest images. Have you tried golfers hand warmers for your pockets - they're very effective.

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:49 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3400 #12 · p.3400 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matthew - is this your 1st post here? If so welcome. Lovely little mitts

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:50 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.3400 #13 · p.3400 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, the DC3 looks to be a pretty large model. Nice!

Andy, cool star images, I like the ones with some kind of foreground better.

Welcome Obrine

"Sever Clear" is really startlingly clear, Leighton. The B&W image does it for me with the many leading lines.

Georg, free theater actors is awesome, I love the poses, faces, and processing. The escalator shot is just outstanding.

Gregg, stunning work with the new 200 micro, both in execution and in technical sharpness! Espcially the orange and blue first image.

The rainforest market looks like an interesting place to visit, Andy.

John, nice to be able to see some recent sound panos from the northwest. I think the atmospheric "haze" actually adds to the photo.

Ben nice to see you again, the first of your for images with the 50-135 is the one for me.

Hello Curtis, Laura, Mihai

Peter, you may have just added Mont Blanc to me destination goals.

Chin on the catwalk looks delish!

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:51 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3400 #14 · p.3400 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott - yes we're in the middle of summer but we haven't seen sun since last week. But I'm not going to complain knowing what Mihai's going through.

Mihai - stay warm. Yes, they're "underexposed" I guess, although I'm going through a dark phase.

Chin - some of your food shots are quite disturbing (in a good way, I guess)

Matt - yours is a much better subject for the 55mm f3.5. I haven't used that lens in ages. It's nice as a walkaround lens because it's very light. But I couldn't help feeling this is not really what it's for:

Ben

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:02 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3400 #15 · p.3400 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matthew - welcome! Lovely close-up!

Scott, nice night-shots! Looks pretty cold. The 25-50 does produce some cool stars.

Chin, love the squid-alley!

Samy, nice work from Baltimore again! My favs are the Saratoga-avenue/street-shots. Really interesting buildings.
Btw, underexposing negative-film can enhance the grain - maybe sharpening during scanning together with a bit of underexposure caused the grain. The Ilford 50 should be virtually grainless.

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:04 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3400 #16 · p.3400 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ben AND Matthew: the cool thing about the 55/3.5 Micro is that it works so well on small and large subjects ;-)

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:07 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.3400 #17 · p.3400 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's an experiment. First, the setup (sorry, not shot with a Nikon, simply to show the setup). The pictures are still a severe crop from a D800 file.

Nikon DSLR + Nikon reversing ring BR2 + 20mm f3.5 AI + two extension tubes + cokin filter ring + clear filter

Snowflake 1

Snowflake 2

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:12 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3400 #18 · p.3400 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I like Peter's idea about the virtual adventure! The 28's going to work pretty well for me I think, with the abundance of historic churches at every other street corner in Baltimore Maybe I will try to cover with the 2.8cm and the 28 f2 N, apart from the 28 PC, to make it more interesting, if this ends up being the challenge.

Ben, thanks, the 20 UD's ghosts and flare are fun and I need to learn more how to use such a wide angle. And of your pictures I most liked the one of the unhappy child (although not the fact that he is unhappy). Very well done.

Reagan, glad you got bored with the cars and took a couple of other shots too. And I didn't mean the Leighton lookalike

Peter, that image looking down on Mont Blanc and clouds and snow is marvelous! I will try your idea about golfers gloves. The ones I have now I just pull off since its too hard to manipulate anything with them.

Mihai, thanks and stay safe in your snowstorm.

Chin, good one of the drying seafood on the line.

Scott, the first one of the traffic in motion is exceptional!

Leighton, thanks, and I think I have quite a few more to go And your latest landscape was wonderful.

Matthew, is this your first contribution here, superb, and welcome to the thread!!

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:16 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3400 #19 · p.3400 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, wow, you might call it an experiment, in my opinion that's some excellent and very creative photography!

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:20 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3400 #20 · p.3400 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ray, wow, you might call it an experiment, in my opinion that's some excellent and very creative photography!

+1!

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password