Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3393      
       3395              4187       4188       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3394 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I found another one… amazing. Same lens, same street… different tree.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:04 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3394 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, ^wonderful example of the 105/1.8's bokeh! The 105/1.8 is a fantastic mixture of speed, nice bokeh, sharpness and great ergonomics. It handles very well, feels just right on a D700.

edit: Curtis was faster uploading than I could type, make that ^^ instead of ^ ;-)

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 01:11 AM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:07 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3394 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One from a few day ago, smallest vessel at the pier:

85/1.8 Nikkor-H, the one I got from Paul, D3s, wide open
Still playing with different tools for B&W-conversions ;-)

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:09 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I took another photo… with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s at f/2. Not quite PC-E bokeh, but still not too bad…

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-G-hEjGCMMIc/UowJJx9K6VI/AAAAAAAAWZk/xIMwQObIg9Q/s1000/105.1.8.LiquidAmberSeed.jpg

This is a liquid amber tree that has rather spectacular colors and troublesome seed pods you don't want to step on if you're at all unsteady on your feet. Lovely to look at however.

Very nice colors and bokeh Curtis.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:14 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/10895398496_203da2515e_b.jpg

Georg, I like the grain in this. It would be interesting to apply this same treatment to an image of an older subject in a timeless setting.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:21 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3394 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Georg, I like the grain in this. It would be interesting to apply this same treatment to an image of an older subject in a timeless setting.

Thanks, Scott! Down-scaling for web-display is difficult for me, sometimes grain get lost or really ugly artifacts are showing up (roofs or brickwalls are subjects I fear when scaling down).
Here's a try with a rather timeless subject (posted before). Tried a VSCO-film-preset, slightly tweaked and toned in SIlver Efex. The grain is really soft here, it looks like a not very well focused print (the enlarging-lens not well focused).
Have to try to get a more consistent workflow for my personal shots...

Dutch sailing-ship, shot with D3s and PC 85/2.8D (no shift or tilt)

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:05 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks, Scott! Down-scaling for web-display is difficult for me, sometimes grain get lost or really ugly artifacts are showing up (roofs or brickwalls are subjects I fear when scaling down).
Here's a try with a rather timeless subject (posted before). Tried a VSCO-film-preset, slightly tweaked and toned in SIlver Efex. The grain is really soft here, it looks like a not very well focused print (the enlarging-lens not well focused).
Have to try to get a more consistent workflow for my personal shots...
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/10954256626_f83f474642_b.jpg
Dutch sailing-ship, shot with D3s and PC 85/2.8D (no shift or tilt)

Georg, I like this subject a lot for a grainy conversion. I liked the stronger saturation and even grain in the first image a bit better. This second one seems to have slightly "yellowish" cast to it. Not sure that is possible but that is what my eye is seeing. Nice work.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:13 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3394 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg and Scott. Yes, the 105 f/1.8 is a very sweet lens and it loves the D700.

Georg, I downsize my images before running them through Silver Efex Pro 2, so it seems easier to manage grain when I use it. I love the Dutch sailing ship, both the grain and the tone you've selected. I envy you the opportunity to shoot so many distinctive ships. Unfortunately, on San Francisco Bay we get tankers, container ships, plain freighters and sailboats. It is very rare we see anything distinctive and we certainly don't have the open horizon I see on so many of your sailing shots. Very nice.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:24 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, I would agree that getting the b&w conversion and grain right is very tricky. Kind of like making a souffle. Here is an attempt of mine using LR4. Taken with the 105 2.5 ais awhile ago.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:45 AM
m.sommers00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3394 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Have sourced out an exc++ 28mm 2.8 AIS for $145CDN found local. Good deal??

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Georg and Scott. Yes, the 105 f/1.8 is a very sweet lens and it loves the D700.

Georg, I downsize my images before running them through Silver Efex Pro 2, so it seems easier to manage grain when I use it. I love the Dutch sailing ship, both the grain and the tone you've selected. I envy you the opportunity to shoot so many distinctive ships. Unfortunately, on San Francisco Bay we get tankers, container ships, plain freighters and sailboats. It is very rare we see anything distinctive and we certainly don't have the open horizon I see on so
...Show more

Curtis, you have that wonderful backdrop of the SF skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge to set your sailing craft against. The composition of your second image above (palm branch?)
is very nice. I like the pattern and geometry.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:50 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3394 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

m.sommers00 wrote:

That does seem like a good deal. Typically they go for 200+ US in EXC++ condition. The 28 is one of the sharpest lenses I have and I really like the close focus ability of it.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3394 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

agentbird wrote:
I am aware how it works, but I feel I got sharper results before.

I just think you need to buy something Anton

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3394 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the kind comments
The rocks were super slippery, almost did and for a split second hesitated to grab my tripod for support fo fear of toppling the whole setup
Equipment before self preservation ... ridiculous innit?

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3394 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray, Georg and Curtis.

Curtis good to see you back with images as good as ever. Don't be such a stranger.

Naturally I still use an old camera - after all we love old lenses,don't we?

The D200 is still an amazing camera at low ISO's (up to 800) and is more than adequate for my needs and also for most monitors. I've been shooting with the D70 using some of my AF lenses and again if handled with a bit of care the results are good.

It wouldn't surprise me to see consumer DSLRs going into decline as mirrorless cameras continue to get smaller and the results improve. Serious bird and sports photographers will stay with the high end pro gear as will those who need to use top quality zoom lenses.

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:32 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3394 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I found another one… amazing. Same lens, same street… different tree.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zlIeM_QFQ-k/UowKTReFzqI/AAAAAAAAWZw/XQru1VMWV3U/s1000/105.1.8.FrondAngles.jpg

Love the framing of this. It's showing some purple fringing in the bright areas, is this common for this lens?

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3394 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/10895398496_203da2515e_b.jpg

I really like the reflection produced in this shot, but to tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about the grain. Interesting discussion you and Scott are having abut grain and downsizing. The only time I don't mind grain in an image is when the subject looks dated or old. Then I'll find myself experimenting with it. Of course this is strictly up to the one creating the image, I'm only throwing in my 2 cents for whatever that's worth.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3394 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

m.sommers00 wrote:

YES!!! As long as it's an AIS and NOT an AI. The AIS focuses closer.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3394 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, Scott and Leighton - thanks for your thoughts about the shots and grain/downsizing. Will take the Dutch sailing-vessel as test-subject for different conversion.
Leighton, somehow I feel many images look too smooth/artificial without grain. At high ISO-settings most recent DSLR's (back to the D200) will produce a nice, almost film-like noise-pattern, but I don't wanna shoot the D3s for instance at ISO 6400 in daylight to get this effect.
For some subjects a clean, very smooth B&W-conversion without added grain looks nice to my eyes, I just shoot stuff like this not very often ;-)

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3394 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, your plane-image is very nicely done - the point of view works great and I really like the conversion. It looks a bit like a B&W-print.
This brings me to the subject of B&W-enlargers - I remember a budget-prices Durst-enlarger equipped with a top-class Schneider-lens. This combination gave me the sharpest looking grain I can remember. Most other enlargers worked with diffused light hitting the negative - a less accentuated grain was the result.
I miss the wet darkroom - not for work, but for more personal photography...

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password