Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3377      
       3379              3802       3803       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3378 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A bit different fall picture. With the 400 5.6 ED AIS.

Flag by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Nov 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.3378 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, very nice take on fall and the flag.

Nov 09, 2013 at 06:06 PM
the solitaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3378 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Today was the first day this week without (a lot of) rain.

So the first thing that came t mind was to grab my dog and camera and a bunch of 50/55mm lenses and get outdoors.

Both with the 55 f1,2 @ f1,2

I managed to make a few comparison shots with the 55 f1,2 S.C and the 50 f1,4 S.C where both lenses show a bit more of their individual characters.

Iīll have to sort through the photos and will make some dropbox albums or something of the kind for the pictures though. Flooding this thread with them wouldnīt really be appropriate

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:50 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Can finally get into the thread consistently, hope that lasts. Couple of times I started compiling comments and lost them.

Buddy, post some of the comparisons at least. Its always interesting how various lenses do against each other.

Nov 09, 2013 at 09:05 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, I think you finally identified a chink in Ray's 85mm armor

leighton w wrote:
Yea, but they have some pretty bad purple fringing going on.

Nov 09, 2013 at 09:17 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ChickPiper, what a tremendous picture of the glassy flowing water and the mossy rocks. If this is your first visit to this thread, welcome and in any case hope to see a lot more.

Rafael, your sets on the muerte festival have been very interesting, most other cultures aren't as expressive about those who have passed away.

And thanks for posting the shot of the 55 1.2 S on the new Df. I would be very interested in a retro lens rather than the camera. Let's say a retro version of one of the modern 50s - black and chrome, scalloped focus and aperture (yes, bring that back!) rings, color-coded aperture markings, the full treatment...

Nov 09, 2013 at 09:31 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3378 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, I will most certainly post the comparisons here. I guess Iīll just split them up a bit then

Here is the 55 f1,2 S.C wide open

Compared to the 50 f1,4 S.C wide open

The 55 f1,2 S.C @ f2

The 50 f1,4 S.C @ f2

The 55 f1,2 S.C wide open again

The 50 f1,4 S.C wide open

The 55 f1,2 S.C @ f4

The 50 f1,4 S.C @ f4

I did make some more comparison shots but will have to sort through them and read out the EXIF to find out which is which. I also added the 50mm f2 Ai and the 55mm f3,5 Ai Micro Nikkor in to the mix so I came home with quite a few pictures

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:06 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3378 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well, I have posted this image, property of Nikon inc.

f-mount-lenses-1200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

When my Fs and F2s learned of the Df they were a bit baffled and gathered together at their favourite spot, they are old and like it soft and clean. Just to make clear that they have fine wood, maps and other accouterments, an 1864 sterling key wound watch was invited, but that was tiring enough. They would also like to point out the iron is german and scale-free.

nikons 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The group conversed and felt complimented by the Df looks, but were not sure the camera really belongs in their clique, they felt friendly to the Df, but concluded that it is a digital camera not a mechanical one. The chrome F would have gladly lent the 5.8cm to Nikon so that the portrait of the Df would really be proper, with the first normal lens mounted.

After this conclusion they retired for the afternoon. Left a message for the 8 generations newer Df to come over and borrow the lenses, just to leave the fountain pen, coins, pocket watch and compass behind, it is OK to use the iphone google map to get here.

nikons 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikons 1 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:08 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3378 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
Samy, I will most certainly post the comparisons here. I guess Iīll just split them up a bit then

I did make some more comparison shots but will have to sort through them and read out the EXIF to find out which is which. I also added the 50mm f2 Ai and the 55mm f3,5 Ai Micro Nikkor in to the mix so I came home with quite a few pictures

Judging by these, I like the 55 better, in all apertures.

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:22 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff, the crescent moon, the stars and the reflection were superbly done!
Antilles, great photo of the kid enjoying the falling leaves.

Mark, terrific dunes in b&w.

Steve, the candy sure looks good and another cool image from Manchester. Just saw the commuter train picture, very nice! So is the arcade and the Piccadilly tower.

Jose, the lichen was neat and the iced up stream in Argentina is terrific.

James, great portrait with the 35 1.4. Indeed that lens can be very effective closeup and wide open.

George, very nice set with the 105 2.5. Nikon's had 23 variants of the pedestrian 105mm manual lenses (including two of the f4 version) since 1959
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105

Brian and Jenny from California, what a great set! Especially like the one of the couple at the door.

Petur, apt description of the 35 1.4 And your testing 25-50 f4 shot is superb scenery.

Jay, liked your panos of the fenced houses.

Monty, good to see you stop by. Miss your photos, I should check out the MF Nikon doing AF thread more often.

Peter, very nice depiction of the Karoo guest houses and explanation of the stoep verandas.

Curtis, beautiful images of the little one. Hope the muse wakes up soon.

Doug, wow, great waterfall with the Noct!!

Socalpicman, liked the geese and duck set with the 135. Especially like the last one - the closeup of the goose.

Ray (OH), loved that tree with the fall leaves on the ground, superb colors and brightness.

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.3378 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Man, was it cold at the market this morning!

Too Cold/28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:27 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy, thanks for posting the comparisons. Should motivate me to get out my 'normal family' and do a new comparison.

At first glance, the 55's maintaining its favored child reputation. At least to me

the solitaire wrote:

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:31 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3378 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Judging by these, I like the 55 better, in all apertures.

Thatīs just the thing with this uneven pair. Each of them has itīs qualities and faults and when taking pictures of exactly the same subject and almost the same framing you put either the 50mm f1,4 S.C or the 55mm f1,2 S.C in a position where itīs easily outperformed by the other lens.

At first glance the 50mm f1,4 S.C is easily sharper. The 55mm f1,2 S.C renders really pleasing OoF backgrounds though.

Since I really enjoy bringing out both lenses (or like today, bring all 4 lenses with a 50-55mm focal length) Iīll try some other subjects to compare the two. Might also give the two a try with tubes to see what happens there.

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:31 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, love admiring your immaculate collection.

Those venerable cameras and lenses sure seem agog at the news of the strange old/new guy coming to town

rafaelcasd wrote:
Well, I have posted this image, property of Nikon inc.

When my Fs and F2s learned of the Df they were a bit baffled and gathered together at their favourite spot, they are old and like it soft and clean. Just to make clear that they have fine wood, maps and other accouterments, an 1864 sterling key wound watch was invited, but that was tiring enough. They would also like to point out the iron is german and scale-free.

The group conversed and felt complimented by the Df looks, but were not sure the camera really belongs in their clique, they
...Show more

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:37 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just a couple degrees warmer this morning here, although I am sure I didn't peek out until much later than you Leighton

leighton w wrote:
Man, was it cold at the market this morning!

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:40 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3378 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

With all this talk of the 55 1.2S, just have to post some taken with that fun lens earlier today.

Parking. At f4.

AnnapolisParking by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Interesting tree in Annapolis, the capital of Maryland. f8

AnnapolisTree1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Another tree in Annapolis. f2.8

AnnapolisTree2 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Blend for health. f4.

Blender by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3378 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Was converting from NEF to jpgs all the images from our vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota this last July when I ran across a seemingly underexposed image taken with my 45/2.8P and D800 and was about to delete it when I decided to give it a post-processing shot:

As Shot

NIKON D800    45mm    f/5.6    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

A Bit Of Post-Processing Love

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/5.6    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3378 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some more post processing love, this time with the 16/3.5 AI:

Before The CS6 Love

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/180s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

After Some CS6 Love

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/180s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3378 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, beautiful examples of what can be done with NEF-files! It's really worth to go through older files - amazing what today's programs can do with old NEF's.
I was the first NEF-shooter in my town, starting with a program called "Bibble". Other photogs were still plagued by the infamous magenta-skin-tones from the Nikon D1's JPEG's, an easy fix for Bibble. From time to time I have to work with D1- or D100-NEF's and I'm amazed by the technical advances of today's programs every time.

Nov 10, 2013 at 01:14 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3378 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg.
Actually it's tribute to the wonderful dynamic range of the D800-generated 14bit NEF at low ISOs AND the post processing power in CS6. I can get a somewhat similar image in NX2, but not quite. I really would like NX3 to come out with much better editing tools.

Glad I didn't delete these.

Nov 10, 2013 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password