Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3370      
       3372              4047       4048       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HCE HCE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3371 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose Interesting form to that lichen.

pbraymond Love the 1st one.

Ray That 35mm makes great backgrounds.
-----------------
I replaced my ambitious 12 image pano with one that hopefully has less wb issues and the fence turned out better.
-Jay-

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:29 PM
pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3371 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
And what's up with the site No images show up when quoting anymore.

also, when you manually double quote others and insert comments using BBBcode, it just loses all the stuff above the last quote. Meh.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:42 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3371 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
also, when you manually double quote others and insert comments using BBBcode, it just loses all the stuff above the last quote. Meh.

Yes, I noticed this too .. very annoying.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3371 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jay, I'm completely lost: a lighthouse in Tucson, Arizona To be honest, I only know Arizona from Don Siegel's "Coogan's Bluff". And the cottage looks more like of north-eastern-US-heritage.
Anyway, I like the shot with the deer a lot, what a nice catch!

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:32 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3371 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, I like the mix of textures and shapes on your fine lichens-shot!

Ray from Ohio - the fall-detail is wonderful! Love the wide-angle-bokeh on this fine image, the perspective works very well on this subject (it wouldn't look so well if shot with a 105mm for instance).

Ray from Florida - #3 and #4 are my personal favs from your fine set. The 35/1.4's highlights on #4 are kinda one of a kind ;-)

Peter and John - interesting debate about scanning vs DSLR-reproductions. Too bad that the Coolscan's prices are gone through the roof lately (bad for me, not for you).

Mihai and Leighton, will check my old 50/1.2 Ais when time and weather allow - thanks for your thoughts about the field-curvature-issue.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:45 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3371 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
My slides were in archival storage, pro lab developed and most of them never out of the archival page since put in there 13 years ago. when done scanning, Viewscan shows what it had to fix in the ICE process and it is horrifying to see all the crud that's on there. Most of it can hardly be seen, but I doubt I'd have the patience to correct any image in that level of detail. There are a few hundred cardboard mounts - had to use whatever local labs offered us when they let us process film late at night
...Show more
I've got a couple thousand scans that I have on disk that I've not gone through yet from the 5000ED.
The slide feeder is the only way to go for sure and glad I bought one new after I got the 5000ED. I ended up selling the 5000ED for almost double what I paid for it - that's crazy!

My D800 + 55/3.5 setup is only meant for short runs of critical slides - it's just too labor intensive as it takes about 1/2 hour per 36 exposures if things are going well. Too much time for sure.
I need to try making multiple exposures of really dark slides to see if I can improve the DR with the D800, but so far if the D800 can't see it, neither can I with my eye.

Slowly I need to go through all my scans for cropping and editing so I can get them organized and into print form - a printed book is the only way the images will last more than one generation if that.
My parents have pictures from the late 1800's and early 1900's of our ancestors - not sure how electronic images will last that long and be passed from one generation to the next.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:01 AM
HCE HCE
• •
p.3371 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This 9 shot version looks better in terns of wb. This location is along the N California coast. D800 55mm f/1.2 wide open.

-Jay-

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3371 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I had a perusal through your images and they are great. There's nothing like the rich deep blues of high altitude images. What film were you using? You haven't changed a bit!

Oh, I seem to not have changed too much (more gray hair, less of it, and wrinkles) and still think I can do stuff like I was 25.

It was an epic little trip:
- fly in to Geneva from Seattle, get picked up by our friends Robin and Peter
- drive to Chamonix
- friends had been there for a week and tell us we MUST summit the next two days due to bad weather coming in
- go up to the base hut the next day, jet lag and all
- climb it that night/next morning with zero sleep. Erik and I did not quite make it to the top due to jet lag, but Robin and Peter do.
- come down the same day
- spend two days in Chamonix
- A woman dies on the same route a day later due to being caught in bad weather and suffering from alt. sickness
- head off the the Dolomites for some rock climbing (incredible place!)
- rained the whole trip so we spent 3 days driving around northern Italy, Germany, Switzerland instead via back roads
- head back home to Seattle exhausted, but happy!

I have no idea what film I used as I didn't write such things down very much.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:27 AM
pburke
• • •
p.3371 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I've got a couple thousand scans that I have on disk that I've not gone through yet from the 5000ED.
The slide feeder is the only way to go for sure and glad I bought one new after I got the 5000ED. I ended up selling the 5000ED for almost double what I paid for it - that's crazy!

last time I checked even the stack feeder I bought for $250 sold for $600, trending up... these things are getting hard to find, just like those last generation scanners. The 5000ED is the F6 of scanners - last and best, never to be surpassed.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Socalpicman
• •
p.3371 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So much great shooting on this site, Love the dogs, mountains, deer and lodging house, fall shots . Sorry if I missed anyone, I went through and liked many posts.

Also thanks for the kind words my Atypical park pic's. Here are a few more a little more typical but with some bokeh thrown in by way of the QC 135 2.8 and D3200.

The big group of geese is to the left and another large group on the other side of the pond.

and there were ducks, just a small sampling here.

Thanks,
JD

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pbraymond
• • •
p.3371 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ray from Ohio - the fall-detail is wonderful! Love the wide-angle-bokeh on this fine image, the perspective works very well on this subject (it wouldn't look so well if shot with a 105mm for instance).

Thanks Georg. When that popped up on the screen, I said to myself, "That looks like sometime Georg would do with wide angle bokeh" and immediately felt like I made an advancement in my artistic output :-)

Thanks as well to others for the comments; while mostly absent in contributing, I have followed as a reader only, and as always continue to enjoy this cool place on the 'net.

One more from the same outing with the 105 f2.5 AIS.

Fallen leaves

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/2.5    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:08 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3371 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Socalpicman wrote:
and there were ducks, just a small sampling here.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/10682699813_e3ffe2925c_c.jpg

Thanks,
JD

Nice series JD. I like the OOF foreground and background rendering in this one.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:23 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3371 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

35mm ais @ f1.4

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:24 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3371 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
And what's up with the site No images show up when quoting anymore.

I figured it was something they did to make the pages load faster. Too bad as I liked the old way of being able to repost and comment on an image.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:25 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.3371 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

How do you guys like the Katzeye focus screens? I have one left over from when I owned a D700 and used it only one time when I rented a Zeiss 35/1.4. Really cannot remember how well it metered, but I do remember it making focus much easier.

I'm currently without digital at the moment as I sold my D600 when I tired of cleaning that damn sensor. Looks like the Df fell flat. I'm not totally sold on the Sony A7. Thinking about going back to a D700 for use with MF lenses.

So is anybody using the third party focus screens?

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:30 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3371 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Weasel_Loader wrote:
How do you guys like the Katzeye focus screens? I have one left over from when I owned a D700 and used it only one time when I rented a Zeiss 35/1.4. Really cannot remember how well it metered, but I do remember it making focus much easier.

I'm currently without digital at the moment as I sold my D600 when I tired of cleaning that damn sensor. Looks like the Df fell flat. I'm not totally sold on the Sony A7. Thinking about going back to a D700 for use with MF lenses.

So is anybody using the third party focus
...Show more

I've only tried it once using Scott's D7000. It worked real well with the DX viewfinder, but I've never felt the need for one with my D600. YMMV

A shame about the Df isn't it?

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3371 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Weasel_Loader wrote:

So is anybody using the third party focus
...Show more

I just picked up a D300 with the Katz Eye screen. I like it and it is very close to the focus confirm dot.
Sometimes I thought they were exactly the same but I noticed doing a minor correction with the screen made the light go away and I had better focus on the image

Reagan

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:48 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3371 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Weasel, I've managed to exchange the D700's focusing screen with one from an old and defective Miranda Sensomat. It was a rough job, but focusing fast glass works much better now. Dylan ("DTOB") did this exchange first, somewhere here in the depths of this thread are his hints for this procedure (sorry for my English).

Leighton, I feel the same about the Df (the missing focusing aids for MF-ing).

James, I'm a bit surprised that your beautiful flower-shot doesn't show the 35/1.4's typical signature.

Ray, the fallen leaves are very nice too, and your choice of the 105 works well here too. It's great to have so many nice lenses to choose from ;-)

JD, I like the last image from your park-set the most. Nice bokeh!

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3371 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Weasel, I've managed to exchange the D700's focusing screen with one from an old and defective Miranda Sensomat. It was a rough job, but focusing fast glass works much better now. Dylan ("DTOB") did this exchange first, somewhere here in the depths of this thread are his hints for this procedure (sorry for my English).

Leighton, I feel the same about the Df (the missing focusing aids for MF-ing).

James, I'm a bit surprised that your beautiful flower-shot doesn't show the 35/1.4's typical signature.

Ray, the fallen leaves are very nice too, and your choice of the 105 works well here too. It's
...Show more

Isn't it a bummer Georg? I was really looking forward to something special with this camera too. BTW, I love your Fuji shot on your flickr page.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:00 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3371 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Isn't it a bummer Georg? I was really looking forward to something special with this camera too. BTW, I love your Fuji shot on your flickr page.

Thanks, Leighton! Yeah, the Fuji X-Pro or X100/s are much more "pure photography" than the Df. The lack of an oldtime-focusingscreen or some sort of hybrid-finder is truly disappointing. Way too many buttons, dials and so on for a clean retro-look. Sorry, Nikon, it might be a very good camera, but not something I wished for.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password