Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3350      
       3352              3821       3822       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3351 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tom, I wholeheartedly agree with Dean and Leighton!

Oct 24, 2013 at 01:26 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3351 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A quick and dirty done check of the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 on a D7000. I prefer to use FX-bodies for the use of MF-Nikkors, so this was a very first meeting of the D7k and the PC28 ;-)
No mechanical problems to report, I can use full shift in every direction with the D7000. The 28PC has click-stops every 30 degrees, so it's possible to move/rotate the lens in a diagonal direction too.
At about half shift the D7000's finder gets blurry and it's completely blurred at full shift. Using Live-View is the way to go, maybe with a tablet-PC or laptop hooked up for a really large display.
For this quick check I've used an aperture of f/11 and still got no really sharp borders. But for downsized stuff like internet-presentations or newspaper-reproduction the quality is okay.
Anyway, the difference between unshifted lens (left) and full shift upwards (right) is quite dramatic:

a quick and dirty comparison von georgsfoto auf Flickr

edit: I did this check handheld while waiting, corrected the perspective slightly on the shifted shot, a proper test should be done from a sturdy tripod and with a lot more time.

Oct 24, 2013 at 01:37 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3351 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

... and here is a shot I took shortly after the stuff above, the PC 28/3.5 was used on a D700 this time:

PC 28/3.5 at about f/11, full or close to full shift upwards, had to correct the perspective on post a bit - it's really hard to level all things handheld ;-(

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:04 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3351 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy the shot of your cat with the 135 F2 is fantastic!
Jay great DR on your power plant photo.
James very nice detail in your cats fur
John I have been enjoying your jet in the moon shots. Very nice.
Tom great examples from your 15 rolls. Can't wait to see some more!
Georg looks like your TS works on both formats extremely well. The D7000 requires stepping back a few feet . I absolutely love your tall ship photo. Those ships have always intrigued me.

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3351 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow Georg, the one with the ship is awesome

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3351 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Chin - We get a whole bunch of apples and keep them in a cooler to enjoy all Winter. No one at the market grows the kind we're looking for. As far as "city apples" this place is WAY out in the country!

Ahh, I didn't know they'd keep so long. May I know what kind of apples you're looking for?

Once upon a time, I was a fruit aficionado, memorising PLU codes and seasons (like how the autumn royal grapes are incredibly sweet because it's the tail end), trying the lesser-seen ones if I could my hands on them (and also waiting until they go on discount, snagged rainier cherries recently because I think the store couldn't sell them fast enough so prices were slashed on them)

Though speaking of apples, I stumbled upon the apple Envy, a NZ cultivar. One of the best I'd say, reviews say they don't turn brown after being cut for up to 8 hrs. Didn't last that long in my lunch box...

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3351 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
... and here is a shot I took shortly after the stuff above, the PC 28/3.5 was used on a D700 this time:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/10458249986_2a7af5d065_b.jpg
PC 28/3.5 at about f/11, full or close to full shift upwards, had to correct the perspective on post a bit - it's really hard to level all things handheld ;-(

Love it Georg! The conversion is spot on as well. What a beautiful ship.

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:55 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3351 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Ahh, I didn't know they'd keep so long. May I know what kind of apples you're looking for?

Once upon a time, I was a fruit aficionado, memorising PLU codes and seasons (like how the autumn royal grapes are incredibly sweet because it's the tail end), trying the lesser-seen ones if I could my hands on them (and also waiting until they go on discount, snagged rainier cherries recently because I think the store couldn't sell them fast enough so prices were slashed on them)

Though speaking of apples, I stumbled upon the apple Envy, a NZ cultivar. One of the best
...Show more

Chin, if they're kept cool enough they will last for months. We have a 6' x 8' walk-in cooler that we keep a bunch of stuff in including the apples. We went after Fuji's, Golden Delicious, Gala's, Rome's and Stayman's. This particular Orchard has about 20 different varieties.

I've never heard of Envy, but it sounds interesting.

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:59 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3351 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I love this one, Georg.

georgms wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/10458249986_2a7af5d065_b.jpg

Oct 24, 2013 at 05:03 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3351 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a few today using the 180mm 2.8 ED from my favorite garden, University of Florida Teaching Garden:

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

raboof
• • •
p.3351 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

#1 and #2 are my favorites, Ray.

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:32 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3351 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Chuong. How do you like your new Nikon FG?

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:35 PM
MitchSC
• •
p.3351 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey Guys,
This is my first post on this thread. You are going to have to pardon my ignorance while I relate this story to share my excitement. I recently upgraded from a D80 to D7100 so I was way behind in technology. I came across a local photographer that wanted to sell the following old Nikon film set up with the bag for $150

Nikon FE2 film body with MD-12 winder
Nikkor 200mm 1:4 Ais
Nikkor 105mm 1:2.5 Ais
Nikkor 28mm 1:3.5 Ais

The 105mm has a small chip in the front element about the size of a dust spec and the focus ring is a little stiff. Since this was the main item I was interested in, after some haggling we settled on $75 for the works.
Came home. entered in the data for the lens and started testing. Here comes the ignorance, I cannot fully describe my excitement with ladies reading this post when I saw that little green dot in the viewfinder. I am 60 yrs old and was a little worried about being able to manually focus. I also did not expect to see the aperture change in the viewfinder when changing it on the lens. Of course the IQ was wonderful on all of the lens.
I had an Epiphany: I had just bought 3 professional prime lens for $75 and the only difference other then speed in my thinking is I have to turn the focus and aperture ring.
The chip in the 105mm does not show up in images and the focus ring is not bad when it's on the camera. Maybe one of you guys can tell me if there is a way of lubricating it without damaging the lens.
I'm not a true convert because my first love is photographing Wild Life and i personally need the speed. Also they won’t take the place of a walk around zoom. But for static photography I doubt if I will ever buy a new AF lens again. This opens a whole new world for me. Of course this means I may have to get a full frame camera. Just when my wife thought I was happy!

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:57 PM
raboof
• • •
p.3351 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - It's small but I love the viewfinder coverage. I keep forgetting to load before the shot so ending up catching only the "moment" after. I do enjoy shooting it with more careful shot selections. It depends on the results which will determine if I will continue shooting film

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.3351 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice Georg
Great set Ray

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:01 PM
raboof
• • •
p.3351 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What a deal Mitch. Those are all nice lenses that we often talk about on this thread.

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3351 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MitchSC wrote:
Hey Guys,
This is my first post on this thread. You are going to have to pardon my ignorance while I relate this story to share my excitement. I recently upgraded from a D80 to D7100 so I was way behind in technology. I came across a local photographer that wanted to sell the following old Nikon film set up with the bag for $150

Nikon FE2 film body with MD-12 winder
Nikkor 200mm 1:4 Ais
Nikkor 105mm 1:2.5 Ais
Nikkor 28mm 1:3.5 Ais

The 105mm has a small chip in the front element about the size of a dust spec and the focus
...Show more
Mitch, welcome to our world! You got a heck of deal! As far as the focusing ring goes, just try and work it back and forth for a while as they don't like it when they're idle. We all share your enthusiasm and you'll have a hard time stopping with just these. Join in the conversation and post some images!

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:17 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3351 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, what a beautiful set. It's been too long that my 180 has been mounted. Perhaps this Saturday. Thanks for the inspiration.

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:18 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3351 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mitch what a great deal. I can't wait to see what you can do with these lenses and the D7100 - WELCOME
Film is a lot of fun Chuong good luck my friend!
Thank you Ronny
Thank you Leighton it's a great lens

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3351 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
#1 and #2 are my favorites, Ray.

Same here.....beautiful colors on those images.

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password