1       2       3              3349      
       3351              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3350 #1 · p.3350 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Happy New Year to all my friends on this thread.

Took the 105 2.5 for a very short walk today coupled to the PN11.

A bottle brush - callistemon viminalis

Happy new year to you too Peter!

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:54 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3350 #2 · p.3350 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am still on my history kick in Baltimore, did three more locations today. Georg, I did take the 50 1.2 AIS and the 85 1.8 HC today but for the full length structures didn't seem to need merged shots. For the tougher ones where backing up in impossible, I will try your suggestion.

First the Eutaw Place Temple and a bit of history about it.

Originally built as a synagogue in 1892 and modeled after the Great Synagogue of Florence, it supported a congregation of German Jews who lived in the area since about 1850. In 1960 the building was sold to the Prince Hall Freemasons and became their Grand Lodge. Renowned Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall was a member of the Grand Lodge, and Martin Luther King is reported to have visited the building in 1964 to campaign for Lyndon Johnson.
Link:
http://explore.baltimoreheritage.org/items/show/100?tour=2&index=3

Here's a pic of the temple building with the 28 3.5 PC.

EutawPlaceTemple by maryland_photos, on Flickr

A pic of the sign on the building next to it, with the 85 1.8 HC.

PrinceHallGrandLodgeEutawPlace by maryland_photos, on Flickr

I looked up a pic of the Florence Grand Synagogue and here it is for comparison:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peer_gynt/5227122264/

Edited on Jan 01, 2014 at 10:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:58 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3350 #3 · p.3350 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And a couple more buildings of interest not far from the Eutaw Place temple.

First the City Temple of Baltimore, a Baptist church built in 1868-71, and architected by Thomas U. Walter, who also was an architect of the US Capitol, and founder of the American Institute of Architects.
History link:
http://www.thecitytemple.org/aboutpage.php?p=history

The church today:

CityTempleBaptist by maryland_photos, on Flickr

The second one, also not far from the area is the Bethel AME church at Druid Hill Avenue and Lanvale Street.

Interesting history again, this is the oldest African American church in Baltimore and was founded by a group of African Americans who walked out of their church due to segregated seating.
http://baltimore.org/multicultural/historic-religious-venues-and-colleges/

BethelAMEChurch by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:10 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3350 #4 · p.3350 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tremendous scenery and colors and same to you Jeff!

Foggy14 wrote:
Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy New Year!

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:12 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3350 #5 · p.3350 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, your year later version of the church was superb (the older one being the one with the swirling snow, which was really memorable too). And the farmland is very scenic, even if it has been repurposed. At least the looks are preserved. The use of the 85 PC tilt for the cannon is very nicely done.

Ray (FL), I have gone back and looked at the 35 1.4 pic of the people on the bridge and the reflections in the water several times, its worth revisiting!

Leighton, the train depot was very well done!! And that pic of the newbornd lamb in Barbara's is quite a touching moment captured!

Chin, the pic of the guy with his P&S clamshell phone and his reflection in the shiny cruise train is excellent! Thanks for the history behind the train. And very interesting story about your dad.

Larry, beautiful cat and superb lens to take that pic with! For those folks here interested in the history of Nikon's 105mm lens, there's 26 variants of that lens since 1959, each one of them outstanding:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105

Andy, your macros have become one of the regular pleasures to view on this thread, keep them coming!

Jay, great light on that door, that will endear you to Leighton. And I love that post and the background!

Kevin, I might be delving into film after resisting for so long. Will be interested in what you find. Camera stores here are a rarity now, will have to get to one or look on the web.

Dan, very nice portraits of your nieces. Great lighting with the Alien Bees.

Ronny, I agree with Andy on the green dot, it works just about as well as AF on the D800, only slower A few weeks ago there was a thread going on about how to do manual focus and several people using the D800/E seemed to not have good luck with it. I am not sure my eyes with the corrective glasses can see the resolution enough through the viewfinder in most cases to do better than the green confirmation dot. For the AI and older lenses which have longer focus ring throws, the dot can stay on for a bit of the turn of the ring and one has to make sure to shoot when you are somewhere in the middle, not near one or the other end of the arc where the dot is solid. Hope that last sentence made sense. The dot doesn't show up (get blinking arrows) when there is low light or low contrast, but in those situations AF isn't going to work so well either.

Buddy, good to see you back here, nice pics with the 55 1.2.

Nick, great image with the 43-86 zoom. I have only seen it in the ad for the Df.

Philippe, great catch of the Gates of Hell!

Larry, loved the spoon with the 55 micro.

Peter (Knysna), tremendous burst of color in that pic of the bottle brush flower!

Ken, good reminder of airboat ride for me too. Still have a couple years old pic of an egret taking off, on the wall in front of me. As the airboat neared, it must have disturbed the egret and the 70-300VR was handy to take that pic.

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:05 PM
philipj
• • •
p.3350 #6 · p.3350 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy you've been doing great work with the historical buildings in Baltimore!

Happy new year from Zürich everyone. I've got a few photos from the fireworks last night, but still playing around in post with most of them. Here's one where the focus is not on the fireworks themselves, taken with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. Next year if we're here for NYE I think I'll take a longer lens with me, as the good views were hard to come by from close up.

Red sky at night by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:19 PM
philipj
• • •
p.3350 #7 · p.3350 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another non-fireworks shot, of the crowd on Quaibrücke (taken from Münsterbrücke) waiting for them to start. Heavily cropped, wish I'd had some longer glass (still with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s)!

Quaibrücke by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:43 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.3350 #8 · p.3350 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Nick, great image with the 43-86 zoom. I have only seen it in the ad for the Df.

Interesting, I didn't catch that! Sure would love to have a Df to go along with mine!

Jan 02, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3350 #9 · p.3350 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip, the red glow is fabulous.
I also think you just committed yourself into buying a longer lens and will need strong recommendations on how to proceed.
Guys, take it away!

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3350 #10 · p.3350 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Larry, those well wishes just had me spend 15mins link-hopping reading up on lucky New Year food. Very interesting. I’ve never read about that before, thanks for sharing

Welcome Ken. How do you spot baby gators in a swamp like that? They’re so well hidden underneath the aquatic plants. And I love the one with the bison – great use of the fisheye, wide vistas and strong subject. I bet they don’t mix well with the gators...

Peter: that’s a beautiful composition. I like the space and how it seems like a reverse flowering arrangement – leaves in the center surrounded by red filaments (Have also never heard of the bottlebrush… until now).

Jeff, I absolutely adore the soft pastel colours. The 2sec shutter speed is perfect, the wave looks like it’s slowly ambling towards the viewer.

Samy, thanks for the historic journey and the links. As with above, I’ve got a voracious appetite for stories and trivia. I’m also curious about the stop-down metering for the 28PC. Is it much easier to wield in daytime? And are you doing these with a tripod?

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • • •
p.3350 #11 · p.3350 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin, this is terrific. The pride in what this person does really shows.

Nice capture!

Jan 02, 2014 at 02:56 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3350 #12 · p.3350 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Welcome Ken - great start.

+1 Ken, welcome aboard!

Jan 02, 2014 at 02:59 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3350 #13 · p.3350 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Same to you Jeff, and what a beautiful shot!

Another +1 Jeff. Beautiful image.

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:00 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3350 #14 · p.3350 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, great architectural photo work. Some beautiful churches in your area.

Peter, great colors in the flower image.

Leighton, nice view from the "hill".

Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:04 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3350 #15 · p.3350 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

An old bowser outside the historic pub. Rural Queensland for ya ! a one stop shop !

They have quite a collection of telephones too.

NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/2.8    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/8.0    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/2.8    1/400s    200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/5.6    1/40s    200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    20mm    f/2.8    1/20s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 02, 2014 at 06:13 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.3350 #16 · p.3350 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
An old bowser outside the historic pub. Rural Queensland for ya ! a one stop shop !

They have quite a collection of telephones too.

Andy- Nice editing on the photos. Very tastefully done, especially the first one of the pump. Great work!

Jan 02, 2014 at 06:16 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.3350 #17 · p.3350 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks ! tasteful isn't usually a word associated with my pp

The first one I initially processed in camera with the "miniature" program built into the d800.

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:00 AM
philipj
• • •
p.3350 #18 · p.3350 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Philip, the red glow is fabulous.
I also think you just committed yourself into buying a longer lens and will need strong recommendations on how to proceed.
Guys, take it away!

Thanks Chin! My 105mm f/1.8 AI-s or 180mm f/2.8 AI-s would have done fine, I just didn't take them! Although even f/2.8 at that focal length might have been too long for me to comfortably handhold...

Jan 02, 2014 at 09:11 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3350 #19 · p.3350 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Samy - Just how many churches like these ARE there in Baltimore?

Philip - Love the red in your first image.

Andy - These are all VERY nice. But the first one is outstanding!

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:55 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3350 #20 · p.3350 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip, wonderful red color in the sky and that bridge pic!

Andy, great retro pics from Queensland! I like the post work too.

Nick, here's a discussion on the ad for the Df. People were really dissing the 43-86mm zoom, but then one has to look at the origin of some of those statements
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3584734

Thanks folks on the church tour photos. Leighton, I don't know how many, but I am sure I am missing quite a few yet Chin, the 28 3.5 PC, like the 10.5cm f4 T (and now the Leica Rs with the Nikon F adapter), is definitely easier to meter AND focus when there is adequate light. In darker environs it starts to get more of a guessing game. That aperture tab is sorely missed on these lenses.

Jan 02, 2014 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password