Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3347      
       3349              4065       4066       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3348 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a way to see if my monitor calibrator has calibrated my monitor correctly? I have heard that the one I have can go out of spec over time... Is there some way other than a second calibration tool?

I wish I could help, heck I wish I could calibrate my monitor to, I'm to lame to buy one! it took me years to buy my tripod, and since then, I have not looked back! Next purchase will prob be photography lessons, a light meter, a book or two on composition, and a gall dern calibrator, for once! I may as well let folks know, that in my quest to go Leica, I sold it all, changed my mind, and now, I'm going to use Canon again, mostly because, I have been lusting after this!

welcome baby by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:39 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3348 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
One more from yesterday.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2859/10402204653_15ded05a7a_b.jpg
Mishbarn/50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

That's a gorgeous slab of Americana!

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3348 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone. I posted an image similar to that once, but closer up.

The man in the orange windbreaker is my dad and we were up in Lake Gairdner, an endorrheic salt lake in the Australian Outback. So yup it's a reflection, as the water's barely an inch high. Extremely salty, naturally. Crusts form on the tops of our feet almost immediately.

The sign said No Driving on the lake. Back in the days, the world land speed record attempts were held here. Some one didn't adhere to it though, and the rutted track scar the surface of the lake. I don't know how long it'll be to recover.

Reverently, we took off our shoes and socks to walk on out. The salt crystals hurt, like walking on millions of glass shards. Just when we were done, a tour group came by (no idea where from) in a single SUV.

The elderly Aussie trio, with cane and walkers no less!, walked out sans footwear. As did their exuberant teenaged granddaughter. Though the pin pricks to her soles made her stop running almost immediately.

The American couple however (and I just hate to say it) crunched up the crust in their rugged soled timberlands. Running all the way to the middle of the lake, doing the requisite starjumps; I winced and grimaced a lil every time they leapt up. The guide was encouraging them though, taking photos of their antics. Ah, perhaps I'm just too sensitive.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:18 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3348 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I had a little health scare but all is ok now. The good news is I believe the Doctor is going to lower my medications. That would be nice
You all have been posting some great photos over the past few days. I started to copy the URL's of the ones I liked but when I got over 10 I realized that was too many to post. So please forgive me. Keep those fall colors coming Leighton because it looks like my trip to the Smokys will not happen this
...Show more
Ray, so good to hear that all is well. I was just telling Barbara the other day that getting old is not for wimps!

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:20 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3348 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
That's a gorgeous slab of Americana!

Thanks Ratty! Good to see you drop in, I'm missing your street scenes.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:21 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3348 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong, the FG looks neat with the 45 pancake on it, congrats

Americo, I hope the 85/1.2 will work for you. Spending some money on the "theoretical background" of photography is always and for everyone a good idea.

Kevin, sorry, apart from basic visual checks I don't know how to prove a monitor's calibration (excl. a second calibration tool). Modern displays are less prone to change colors than the good ol' tubes to my knowledge.

Jay, thanks for your comment on the pre-fab-building.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:53 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3348 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ray, so good to hear that all is well. I was just telling Barbara the other day that getting old is not for wimps!

That's so true Leighton

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:12 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3348 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Looks warm where you are, Leighton. We got a cold snap here.

I picked up a 105mm f4.0 ais micro a little while ago. Seems really sharp. Here is Pepe Le Pew's Le Meu AKA Penelope Pussycat

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:47 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3348 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I should say it's sharp James! Terrific photo

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:54 PM
designdog
• •
p.3348 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a way to see if my monitor calibrator has calibrated my monitor correctly? I have heard that the one I have can go out of spec over time... Is there some way other than a second calibration tool?

Do you have a really good printer? If so, I would calibrate the monitor, run a soft proof in Lightroom or Photoshop, and do a print. Google for a good test image.

I would also put the image in an email, and up here or on Flickr, or some other on line port. At the end of this you would be able to see your image on your monitor, in print, as an email, and as a web image (use some other monitor/computer to view these last two.)

Then you must evaluate the output, because, no matter what the status of your monitor, output is the key. If you are happy with the output, you are good. If not, try to qualify the problem, and see if you can make adjustments with your existing calibration tool.

I recently did some test prints with Miller's. What I got was nothing like what I see on my monitor, and my monitor is well calibrated. We made some changes, and now I have an icc file to use when I want to output to them. But it is out of calibration, per my equipment...

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3348 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot James

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:35 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3348 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James, the almost monochrome look works great here. A black cat in front of a bright background would look strange in most cases, even if well lit. The 105/4 is a great and very affordable lens, probably underrated - good news for potential buyers ;-)

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3348 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My EF 85 f/1.2L was one of the last Canon lenses I sold after concluding I enjoyed the manual focus experience of Nikon more than the world of AF with Canon. I wish you well Americo, though I'm ever mindful of the risks involved in ever believing the grass is greener on the other side of any particular fence. But there is never an objective accounting for what moves folks creatively. We have to go where our muse leads us.

Hi everyone... my muse has me reading and writing rather than taking photos, except on rare occasions. One of those was last Sunday and this time I actually downloaded the ten photos taken and took a few moments to process some to share on this thread i know to be populated with quite a few cyber friends. Sadly, I haven't spent time on the thread so I can't extend greetings and accolades for fine work being posted, which I'm certain is the case. After three years of immersion in this thread I know the quality of work being shared by the usual suspects.

Sunday I mounted the 105 f/1.8 AI-s and played a bit. Here are a few photos taken in my friend's garden as the growing season approaches its end...

We ate a few strawberries after lunch but I wasn't surprised when we visited the garden to find only this remaining berry enjoying the afternoon sun. And a few of the last flowers...

And a bit of bokeh play because I enjoy it...

Happy shooting everyone. Those of us in the northern hemisphere have autumn rounding to an end with winter not too far behind. We'll have to rely on our friends in the southern hemisphere to bring us a bit of outdoor color for a bit. I'll see you when I see you.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3348 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well, good to see you again Curtis. I thought maybe pirates got you or something!

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3348 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Well, good to see you again Curtis. I thought maybe pirates got you or something!

Pirates would have to do a home invasion if they wanted to capture me... I splurged and bought a MacBook Air for my birthday and am so mesmerized that I don't get very far from the easy chair in my living room... Sitting in front of this 27" iMac where I do my photo processing feels a bit intimidating after sitting in a comfortable chair with a 13" light weight laptop with Wi-Fi hooked up. It has a solid state drive and is lightening fast. But with a 128 GB drive, I won't be loading any processing software. I know from the experience using Rinie's MacBook while we traveled in Turkey last year that trying to process photos on a small screen is a recipe for indigestion...

So I read and I write... not the great American novel, mind you. In fact, I've no idea where this writing will lead but I'm enjoying the process. It is a bit like being back at the university, though the internet offers such amazing resources that letting the mind wander can be a dangerous thing. I've no idea where it will go, but at least to the moment, I'm having a great time.

Nice to see the thread is in good hands Leighton. I also note the conversation about the retro Nikon camera in the wings. Now that might stir my juices a bit. I've been waiting patiently for a real replacement for the D700 and this might very well be the camera with a D4 sensor. I'm definitely paying attention to your thread on the subject.

Be well my friend...

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:20 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3348 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Pirates would have to do a home invasion if they wanted to capture me... I splurged and bought a MacBook Air for my birthday and am so mesmerized that I don't get very far from the easy chair in my living room... Sitting in front of this 27" iMac where I do my photo processing feels a bit intimidating after sitting in a comfortable chair with a 13" light weight laptop with Wi-Fi hooked up. It has a solid state drive and is lightening fast. But with a 128 GB drive, I won't be loading any processing software. I
...Show more

The new Mac Air sounds interesting. I recently bought a 14" Chromebook with a SSD and it too is lightening fast.

When you get your novel done you'll have to share it with us.

That rumored new Nikon REALLY has me interested. I have been more than pleased with my D600, but this thing may end up taking it's place if it has everything rumored.

Take care and don't be such a stranger, your family misses you!

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3348 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I won't be far away Leighton... and I may follow you into the rumored camera if it proves to be as sweet as suggested by the rumor mill...

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:34 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3348 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yummy: delicious strawberries-bokeh! Hi Curtis, nice to hear from you!

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3348 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's her color Georg...gray or grey. I have two gray cats. Charlie is blue gray, and Phoebe is a pinkish gray. Got a black cat too...Ciara. A silver tabby...Lucy, and an old, old Siamese named Iggy. I think when I hit five cats I entered the crazy cat person territory.

georgms wrote:
James, the almost monochrome look works great here. A black cat in front of a bright background would look strange in most cases, even if well lit. The 105/4 is a great and very affordable lens, probably underrated - good news for potential buyers ;-)

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3348 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I should say it's sharp James! Terrific photo

+1 James. Very nice.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1       2       3              3347      
       3349              4065       4066       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell