Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3315      
       3317              4263       4264       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3316 #1 · p.3316 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
What's for lunch Mr. Grindahl?

Its going to be a Chinese chicken salad but at the moment I'm having a cup of French Market coffee, the New Orleans favorite with chicory in it. I've not bee drinking much coffee but had a hankering for it when I sat down at the computer. Awfully fine coffee...

So I see you're back to banker's hours Leighton... Barbara must be loading the truck for tomorrow's market...

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3316 #2 · p.3316 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Its going to be a Chinese chicken salad but at the moment I'm having a cup of French Market coffee, the New Orleans favorite with chicory in it. I've not bee drinking much coffee but had a hankering for it when I sat down at the computer. Awfully fine coffee...

So I see you're back to banker's hours Leighton... Barbara must be loading the truck for tomorrow's market...

Enjoy your coffee, I'm off to do afternoon chores and to make sure Barbara loads it right.

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3316 #3 · p.3316 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, thanks for the demonstrations of the 105mm lenses in your collection. You are much more adventurous than I am with regard to your kit building. I've gone back no further than the 105 f/2.5 P but your offerings with the older lenses have definitely gotten my attention. It appears that Nikon's reputation for exceptional glass has been earned over the long haul. I don't think I'll go farther back than the pre-AI lenses already in my kit but I certainly enjoy what others are doing with both old glass and film. The possibilities seem endless. Thanks for your contribution to the conversation.

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3316 #4 · p.3316 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Enjoy your coffee, I'm off to do afternoon chores and to make sure Barbara loads it right.

I thought about you this week as I finished a wonderful book called "Plainsong" set in Colorado with a number of characters working the land. I know from my mother's family, many of whom were farmers, how consuming is the life you and Barbara share. I may poke fun at you from time to time but I have an appreciation for how hard you work to sustain your farm. Sue's brother, who has been a carpenter for a few decades and who bought five acres in upstate New York a few years ago has become increasingly involved first in gardening and more recently in raising livestock. His life is taking a rather radical turn from contractor to farmer and he is absolutely loving it... but he is a hard worker so the combination works well.

Get those chores done my friend. There is likely a beer waiting for you at the end of the day...

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3316 #5 · p.3316 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Nice bokeh. It's a 180 so you need to keep your speed up. I use auto ISO to keep my speed to at least 1/250 unless I use my tripod

Ray

What Ray said. It is very important when shooting with long lenses to keep an eye on the shutter speed as the camera meters. I often find myself moving from Aperture Priority to Manual Mode to make certain I have sufficient shutter speed for the focal length mounted. Once you have the non-CPU register set for your Function button and get comfortable with moving from Aperture Priority toe Manual Mode, all you have to do is keep your hand steady as you press the shutter. You'll likely discover as most of us have, the pure pleasure of watching the image come into focus in the viewfinder as you turn the focusing ring. I call it a religious experience but that is not required...

Another thing to note is that if you feel inclined to use Spot Metering, which can be useful if you have very bright light in the scene, is that it will work properly only if you use the center focusing point. Keeping track of metering becomes the other variable to remember when shooting with these lenses. Thankfully, modern DSLR cameras doing a very effective job of metering and the latest cameras have outstanding dynamic range so it is hard to miss a shot.

Have fun Don. If you are at all like most of the folks on this thread you're going to enjoy this so much you'll begin hunting for additional MF lenses to add to your kit. As I've often said, "kit building is forever..."

Oct 04, 2013 at 08:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3316 #6 · p.3316 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

geezfools wrote:
welp, think I'm sold on a D700 after way too many awesome photos shown here! I got my D300s because it had video, now with the iPhone 5s (for random video stuff) and me wanting to go full frame, it's time to track down a low shutter count D700. The search begins!

Good move Justin. I know there are fans on this thread of both the D600 and D800 but my D700 continues to impress me every time I use it. You should be able to find one at a decent price. I'm at about 54,000 shutter actuations on the camera I bought used here on FM and expect it will last for many more years. I'd consider a replacement, but the camera I want has yet to be released by Nikon. Until they do, I'll simply enjoy the D700.

Good luck shopping...

Oct 04, 2013 at 08:06 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3316 #7 · p.3316 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I thought about you this week as I finished a wonderful book called "Plainsong" set in Colorado with a number of characters working the land. I know from my mother's family, many of whom were farmers, how consuming is the life you and Barbara share. I may poke fun at you from time to time but I have an appreciation for how hard you work to sustain your farm. Sue's brother, who has been a carpenter for a few decades and who bought five acres in upstate New York a few years ago has become increasingly involved first in gardening
...Show more

Back from chores with a home brew in hand! Ahhhhh

Oct 04, 2013 at 08:29 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3316 #8 · p.3316 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy, congrats to your 55/1.2! I hope the new focus-screen will work for you (DX-finders and MF-focusing don't go well together for me).
Btw, I know many really happy D300-users, it's a quality-camera for sure ;-)

Jay, your blossoms-example with the 55/1.2 doesn't look like it was taken with a 50$-lens

Samy, nice work with the 28/2N! I like the Farmer Stan-shot the most. Btw, the 10.5cm 4T looks really neat compared to the other 105's.

Rafael, love the last shot of your "final" mission-church-set! The angle of view and the strong contrasts work very well together.

Ronny, excellent work as usual on your latest flower-shots!

Ray from Ohio, I like especially the second shot of the wetlands. Wide-angle, close focus and a shallow DoF go very well together.

Curtis, nice to see you chime in ;-)

Oct 04, 2013 at 08:36 PM
dpbingham
• •
p.3316 #9 · p.3316 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
What Ray said. It is very important when shooting with long lenses to keep an eye on the shutter speed as the camera meters. I often find myself moving from Aperture Priority to Manual Mode to make certain I have sufficient shutter speed for the focal length mounted. Once you have the non-CPU register set for your Function button and get comfortable with moving from Aperture Priority toe Manual Mode, all you have to do is keep your hand steady as you press the shutter. You'll likely discover as most of us have, the pure pleasure of watching the image
...Show more

Thanks guys for the great tips... I need to learn more about MF lenses. For the image I posted, I actually had mounted on a tripod - thus not a need for faster shutter per se. It was dusk (low light) and I had turned off the ISO-Auto so I can eliminate some of the noise.

I'll likely be shooting a bunch this weekend and I'll post some stuff on here to get this group's feedback!

Cheers!
Dan

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3316 #10 · p.3316 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ahhh chicory coffee reminds me of New Orleans and beignets (is that how one spells them?). I did find the Cafe Du Mond coffee cans at local stores in the Baltimore area, although I only dip into the can once a week or so at the most.

Here's another 28 f2 N fall shot, at f/2.8. As seen in the previous set, the fall colors for the most part are still scant and muted. So for now this toadstool stool will have to do.

This was at the Oregon Ridge Nature Park in the north eastern part of Baltimore. Need to explore this park more, did not get much time today.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saph
• • • •
p.3316 #11 · p.3316 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just a note on these settings, and these are all personal preferences or what one gets used to. I have never taken to Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, or Auto ISO, I just adjust each dial or ring. Maybe a bit slower to do that. Also, after a certain point in my DSLR life, I switched almost exclusively to spot metering.

I would say the 180's a great starter lens for the manual focus addiction

CGrindahl wrote:
What Ray said. It is very important when shooting with long lenses to keep an eye on the shutter speed as the camera meters. I often find myself moving from Aperture Priority to Manual Mode to make certain I have sufficient shutter speed for the focal length mounted. Once you have the non-CPU register set for your Function button and get comfortable with moving from Aperture Priority toe Manual Mode, all you have to do is keep your hand steady as you press the shutter. You'll likely discover as most of us have, the pure pleasure of watching the image
...Show more

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM
saph
• • • •
p.3316 #12 · p.3316 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, you are welcome. I am done with adding any more lenses for now

Georg, with its tiny front barrel, the 105 f4 T does not balance well on the D800. It looks far better suited to the much less bulky Nikon F see the photos here at the De Stoutz page: http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_10.5cm_f4_405749.html

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:29 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3316 #13 · p.3316 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thnx Curtis and Georg. I had some real fun with the 55 f1.2 today. It allowed me to make a few shots I would have missed due to low light otherwise.

I have seen some reviews and opinions stating that the 55 f1.2 has 2 faces. I think this is very true. At normal shooting distances its really sharp but when you shoot subjects further away with the lens wide open or at f1.4 things get really soft. Ill have to upload some more pictures to show what I mean. I really like the unique character of this lens already.

Here are some of the pictures I mad today (without the focus screen so I bracketed focus a few times)

This first shot is at f4

f2

f1.4

f1.2

f1.4 again

f2

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3316 #14 · p.3316 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddy, congrats on the 55, man what a deal! Nice images, a nice looking dog too. These 1.2 lenses are fun to shoot with.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3316 #15 · p.3316 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 55/1.2 is really the only lens on my "Want" list. This weekend I plan to advertise some items, hopefully I can sell enough to finally get one.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:56 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3316 #16 · p.3316 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

They are indeed. They take a lot of practice to get things right though. Due to the extreme field curvature sharpness is not always there where you expect it to be and veil can throw a wrench in all the planning you did for a picture when shooting too wide open.

Ill have to try a lens hood on this one to see if that helps with the veiling I had in a few shots. Other then that the lens is amazingly sharp and at f2 it really sings!

@Kevin, do you specifically want the S.C or would you take the 55 f1.2 S as well? I thought I recently saw a US seller selling some of those with Ai conversion (not the kit) for a really good price.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:58 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3316 #17 · p.3316 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/10077457715_a415b6d5a6_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3823/10077420084_7548848efc_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2850/10077488306_3c536eaffa_b.jpg

Excellent series!

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:58 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3316 #18 · p.3316 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I just purchased the Nik software bundle for $126.00 using this coupon code "HDRsoftware15" if anyone's interested. It seems like a great deal considering what it used to cost.

Congratulations Leighton. I guess things will be looking more black and white to you.

Oct 05, 2013 at 01:02 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3316 #19 · p.3316 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HCE HCE wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/10086998334_446e57c150_o.jpg
D3 55mm f/1.2

Very nice Jay.

Oct 05, 2013 at 01:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3316 #20 · p.3316 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My belief is that if I'm going to invest in a fast lens I really want to take advantage of that speed. Yes, I'll stop down if necessary, but I'm more inclined to look for situations where I can do a bit of bokeh play as I did in this shot with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd wide open. I've posted it before but it makes my point.

One of the reasons I'm fond of the 55 is that is very seldom produces the more jagged bokeh I can get with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s. With that lens I'm aware I get critical sharpness at f/2 and smoother bokeh, so that is where I most often shoot with that lens. But the 55 lets me play when I want to. Jay's shot above with his 55 makes the point as well. I appreciate, of course, that not every copy of any given lens is equal, so perhaps your 55 gets in trouble wide open. But I would definitely give it a chance. Again, bokeh play isn't for everyone but Ray and I happen to be suckers for it...

Oct 05, 2013 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password