Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3308      
       3310              4053       4054       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3309 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
My new toy, the 600mm f5.6 AIS.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_2187.jpg

My backyard usually busy with robins and cardinals. As expected, not a single bird shows up today.

nice looking rig

Since I got my long lens, birds and squirrels have moved to my neighbors, I think. Even the moon was on a schedule that didn't work for me whenever the sky was clear and I thought of giving it a try.

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:33 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3309 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Heh georg, I don't know why but I immediately thought of tiny people struggling with strands of pasta, instead of thick thick steel cables
Also never quite noticed the 20mm was such a fantastic performer, everything just pops

Chin, I wouldn't call the 20/3.5 Ais a fantastic performer ;-) The "pop-effect" might have something to do with the light and the use of "ProContrast" (part of Nik ColorEfex).
But the 20/3.5 Ais is a small and fairly lightweight piece of glass - the reason for me to grab this one instead of the superior AF-S 14-24/2.8 yesterday.
The size of "modern" lenses is a great argument for using "vintage" glass.

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:39 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3309 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some quick shots from today, had some time to kill, subject was one campus of the local university:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/10044524875_f4815a2796_o.jpg
20/3.5 at f/5.6, I'm not really happy with both framing and B&W-conversion
Sometimes I shoot all too tightly framed and have no room to adjust angles later...

I love the reflection of the other building. As far as the image being tightly framed, you're just a well trained photographer.

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:40 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3309 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3678/9991469226_f22984cf40_b.jpg

Wonderful images and event. Thank you for sharing.

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:57 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3309 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2891/10039789176_42ef029bda_c.jpg
smoking from the metal pipe by Zichar, on Flickr

Very nice Chin.

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:59 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3309 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_2187.jpg

My backyard usually busy with robins and cardinals. As expected, not a single bird shows up today.

N I C E !

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:01 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3309 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some quick shots from today, had some time to kill, subject was one campus of the local university:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/10044524875_f4815a2796_o.jpg
20/3.5 at f/5.6, I'm not really happy with both framing and B&W-conversion
Sometimes I shoot all too tightly framed and have no room to adjust angles later...

I like the framing of the reflection in this one. Nicely seen!

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:03 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3309 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you for the comments Ray, Leighton, Georg, and Peter.

Another from Maine. Taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:12 AM
designdog
• •
p.3309 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin:

I moved away from Fuji, even though I really liked my XP1, due to frustrations with raw files from the x trans sensor. That maybe a non issue by now.

However, if I were in the market for mirrorless, I would wait until the Sony NEX full frame comes out "real soon now". Plus, you can use all of your Nikon MF lenses!

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:24 AM
Socalpicman
• •
p.3309 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin,

Have you looked into a waist pack system like a lowerPro waist belt or Technical belt? You maybe able to configure a pack with some lens pouch's as needed. You maybe able to have a long neck strap and rest the camera on the pouch to support the weight. Maybe something worth looking into.

Great pictures all. Some really great sets yesterday and today. Nice Lens Raboof. Georgms I like shot of the two buildings.

JD

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3309 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Alan, you certainly have the best motivation to take pictures.

David, cool Harley.

Ray, great bar photos.

Sam, I also love the 200mm plus extender macros.

Interesting Houdini Chin.

Andy is the tempest yours?

Robson, Victoria feels British.

Peter, a treasure of a family.

Ian boys - no- Ian Girls

Curtis, love the 'furniture' and you don't look 80. Don't even look a day over 72.

Chuong, I want a 600mm too!

Jay, cool cars with 55mm and D3.

Steve, through you I am in England.

Georg, fantastic pierside pictures, how do you get such access. Also love the building in building.

Nice 24 NC Scott.

The last of this weekends Mission outing, 15mm 3.5 ais. The D800 dynamic range allows the strong shadow to sunlight delta to not be a problem.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission San Luis Rey cemetery by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop of the cemetery

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission San Luis Rey cemetery crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission San Luis Rey Roman Soldier and Jesus by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission San Luis Rey corridor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission San Luis Rey Marys arm and Jesus by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3309 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I am at a crossroads and need some advice.

My kit is nearly where I want it in terms of focal lengths and kind (AF/MF). My big issue is transporting my kit around, my body is struggling with the weight. I did a shoot last Saturday, using 4 lenses and tripod. I have been in nearly incapacitating pain every since. Neck straps are a no-go, regardless of how wide and cushiony they are. I don't have a backpack (but that might be a solution) and the shoulder style bags aren't working either.

So my question is, should I look for
...Show more

Kevin, why not try a small pull along suitcase which you can fill with foam plastic and cut out shapes for each item of kit that you want. You could probably do it in modules so that you can vary the case to suit your needs on a day. Then you would only have to carry a camera at the shooting venue.

Old fashioned I know but it works.

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3309 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:

That's always the case - the same thing happened to me when I bought my Sigma 50-500. Not a bird in sight!

However, I have no doubt we'll soon see more super photos.

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3309 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I love the reflection of the other building. As far as the image being tightly framed, you're just a well trained photographer.

I agree - that is a striking and very clever image.

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3309 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton, Ray and Curtis.

It is great to see them but, while cost is a real factor, the pain in the rear of getting visas to get there is a major issue. My US visa still has a year to go before I'd have to go to Cape Town to renew it (600 mile round trip + accommodation cost), UK is a 400 mile round trip in a different direction and if I want to go to Europe it's back to Cape Town again.

Georg - The group image was shot by my son using my kit and is the one out oof about 20 where everyone is looking in the right direction. The liitle boy (2) and the youngest girl (4) do their own thing and are impossible to get to say still for more than about a second!

Thank you for the compliment on the swing shot - it's my eldest grandaughter in pensive mood - again one of about 6 shots.

Kevin - thank you

Rafael - thank you. The family is a treasure indeed.

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:53 AM
bruni
• • •
p.3309 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Wonderful images and event. Thank you for sharing.

+1
beautiful work with the 35mm f1.4

ben

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:01 AM
bruni
• • •
p.3309 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

[)

Georg please don't post more great shots with the 85 PCE. Now that Phillippe has forced me to buy Leica lenses - I'm totally, seriously, and probably permanently, broke...bust. So please don't force me to start with the 85 (and the 45)PCE - they look SO good.

And yes - "fair game" is the right expression in English.

ben

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:06 AM
bruni
• • •
p.3309 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Kevin, why not try a small pull along suitcase which you can fill with foam plastic and cut out shapes for each item of kit that you want. You could probably do it in modules so that you can vary the case to suit your needs on a day. Then you would only have to carry a camera at the shooting venue.

Old fashioned I know but it works.

Kevin - I bought the fuji XE 1 - loved it. Thought it was a fantastic camera. But it is not in the same class as a full frame DSLR or even a good APS -C like the D7000. I know there's a lot of people making extraordinary claims for these cameras but I think they're kidding themselves. I've seen people comparing the results of the fuji X Pro 1 to the Leica M9 - and to me, that is absurd. I think it's wrong to compare these cameras .

A DSLR - with good glass - is a whole different creature. For many, probably most, shots it won't matter and the differences will be imperceptible. For family pics, travel snaps - most of what we do - it's excellent. And for general viewing online - great. And I got a lot of shots with it that I would never have been able to take with manual glass.

But when it came to difficult situations, like shooting into the sun as I love to do, or for more subtle effects and shallow depth of field - I couldn't expect the shots to compare to the D800E with good glass.

I guess I'm just saying - be careful about your expectations - I thought the fuji was a fantastic camera for what it was. (I don't know if they've sorted out the problem with processing RAW files - that was annoying when I had it. The JPEGS were great but still the difficulty with reading the RAW format should've been sorted out before release)

ben

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.3309 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

trying VSCO and lightroom - first steps for me ...

50mm f1.2 @ f8

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:40 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3309 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ian, I love everything about this portrait - framing, lighting, post-processing are all top-notch. Btw, I've just tried the VSCO-stuff too and really like it so far (but not for every subject).

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password