Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3307      
       3309              4145       4146       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3308 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Hey Curtis, fancy meeting you on here. Great shot of you and Sue.

I figure when I see you at this time of the day you must be having lunch, but this is a bit late. Perhaps things are beginning to wind down with autumn for our favorite farmer... Have either of your markets closed yet?

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3308 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I figure when I see you at this time of the day you must be having lunch, but this is a bit late. Perhaps things are beginning to wind down with autumn for our favorite farmer... Have either of your markets closed yet?

Nope had lunch out today. We had to take a load of lambs to the processor about 50 miles north of us so I'm in between jobs. And quite frankly, since I'm the boss, I felt like taking the afternoon off.

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:51 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3308 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Atta boy Leighton, although she calls you the boss we all know who really is boss

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3308 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Atta boy Leighton, although she calls you the boss we all know who really is boss

Watch it Ray!

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:13 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3308 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am at a crossroads and need some advice.

My kit is nearly where I want it in terms of focal lengths and kind (AF/MF). My big issue is transporting my kit around, my body is struggling with the weight. I did a shoot last Saturday, using 4 lenses and tripod. I have been in nearly incapacitating pain every since. Neck straps are a no-go, regardless of how wide and cushiony they are. I don't have a backpack (but that might be a solution) and the shoulder style bags aren't working either.

So my question is, should I look for a smaller kit (I like the look and feel of the Fuji X line) or do you all know of a better carrying solution for my current gear? I have tried nearly all the commercial camera straps and not a single one works (although a hand strap would be OK if I was only using a single lens, my D7000 is the first body I have owned that I didn't use a hand-strap with it). But if I am needing to take a second lens or am walking a lot and don't want to hold my camera the whole time (which is the norm) I am stuck.

Hope you all have some ideas, because I am fresh out at this point. I don't really want to sell my kit, it was a very long road to get here, but if I cannot figure out something yesterday, I may have too.

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:30 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3308 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

My kit is nearly where I want it in terms of focal lengths and kind (AF/MF). My big issue is transporting my kit around, my body is struggling with the weight. I did a shoot last Saturday, using 4 lenses and tripod. I have been in nearly incapacitating pain every since. Neck straps are a no-go, regardless of how wide and cushiony they are. I don't have a backpack (but that might be a solution) and the shoulder style bags aren't working either.

So my question is, should I look for
...Show more

Seriously Kevin, as much as I hate to say it, I really think it's time you investigate the m43 format. The Fuji X-line would be another consideration, or perhaps even Sony's Nex cameras. Ronny uses a Nex from time-to-time and the old Nikkors work rather well on them.

Of course this is just my 2 cents, but it seems you've suffered for some time with these DSLR's. Good luck in any path you choose.

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.3308 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi Kevin,

As you know, I love my x100s and it's my only camera most of the time except for planned "proper" shoots. Highly recommended. I haven't taken a DSLR on holiday for a couple of years now, even on photo holidays.

Failing that (if you want lens interchangability) I believe the XE-1 is going cheap at the moment before the XE-2 is launched in 17 days.

Or why not get fixed 30mm Sigma for your D7000 and leave the rest at home? It can be done.

Oct 01, 2013 at 08:41 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3308 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the idea Ian, that is primarily what I do if I want to take my gear with me. I put either my 28 or 35 on and shoot just that. As of late, been using my 28-70 AFD and close up filter as an everyday lens. It also works, but I miss my primes and variety. Been talking with a few of you about backpacks and I think I am going to give one a try. That way I can say I have tried it all.

Oct 01, 2013 at 08:56 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

So my question is, should I look for
...Show more

Kevin, depending on your personal way to discover locations a "wheeled bag" or a trolley with a backpack attached might be worth to be further investigated.
Some pro-shooters here (but with much more and also more heavy gear than your current kit) are using the fancy Think-Tank-Photo Airport-bags, but there are a lot less expensive options available too.
Using a really comfortable backpack for shorter walks and maybe strapped on a trolley for longer walks or when a tripod or additional gear are needed might another way to deal with your neck-problems.
A completely new camera-system might reduce the weight you have to carry around, but a body, some lenses and small gear like filters or spare batteries will add up. The D7000 is not a really heavy camera and most of your lenses aren't heavyweights either.
I would try everything to carry your current kit in a painless manner before hopping into another camera-system. For very casual shooting a quality compact or very light mirrorless-camera might be an option, but quality gear for serious use is not very lightweight in my opinion (the X-Pro with a small prime for instance is not heavy, but also no featherweight).
All the best, Georg!

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:00 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Heya Curtis, the bokeh of the 105/1.8 is a nice match for the art work from Far East. Nice work with your D700, I hope your next time-out will be a good bit shorter ;-)

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.3308 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Kevin, depending on your personal way to discover locations a "wheeled bag" or a trolley with a backpack attached might be worth to be further investigated.
Some pro-shooters here (but with much more and also more heavy gear than your current kit) are using the fancy Think-Tank-Photo Airport-bags, but there are a lot less expensive options available too.
Using a really comfortable backpack for shorter walks and maybe strapped on a trolley for longer walks or when a tripod or additional gear are needed might another way to deal with your neck-problems.
A completely new camera-system might reduce the weight you have
...Show more

There's also this: http://www.adorama.com/CCVCV.html

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:07 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, the family-portrait is so well done, nice work with the self-timer
The melancholic Girl on a swing is wonderful: a timeless photograph, I could even see this "subject" as a painting. In my opinion this is your very best photograph posted here.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:13 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3308 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
There's also this: http://www.adorama.com/CCVCV.html

Believe it or not, I did try one of these. I have severe scoliosis, which is curvature of the spine. I not only have a left/right curve, but my front/back curve is different from a "normal" back. My standing straight has my shoulders rolled forward and with the strap above, it almost forced me to be rolled forward even more. I think the backpack is really my only option at this point with my current gear. Georg is right, most of my lenses are relatively light (my heaviest are the 75-300, 135/2.8Q, and my Vivitar 400mm) so I hope to find something to work with.

If I do go with a different system, I am pretty much set on the Fuji X system with interchangeable lenses. I have handled a nicely outfitted X100 and X-Pro1 and liked how they both worked. Reminded me of my old Canon Canonette and Fuji rangefinders. I liked the X-E1 quite a bit as well. I couldn't justify the cost of the Sony RX1 and haven't been a fan of the m4/3 or the NEX line.

Time will tell I guess. In two weeks there is a semi-annual camera swap meet and hope to pick up a backpack there. Until then, I have 200+ images to edit anyway, so I have a little bit of time.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:20 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3308 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Peter, the family-portrait is so well done, nice work with the self-timer
The melancholic Girl on a swing is wonderful: a timeless photograph, I could even see this "subject" as a painting. In my opinion this is your very best photograph posted here.

I wholeheartedly agree. I positively loved that shot and the "fine art photography" side of my brain went into overdrive thinking about the possibilities with this shot.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ian Boys wrote:
All views gratefully accepted, as I'm very mixed about this.

Clearly there are technical flaws but then I think it works. But then I see the flaws again. I don't know. The main thing I love is how strong she looks, in contrast to some other shots I've done (of other people) that tend to emphasise vulnerability.

Mix of flash to right and gelled video light to left.

Nikon D700 / 50mm f1.2 AI-S @f2.8

Ian, the light works extremely well for me, her strong look too. I have really mixed feelings about your choice of framing, the cut-off arm is what I don't like (the same is true for the vertical portrait a few pages back).
I really like your portraiture in general and my critic is probably just the result of my very personal bias.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM
raboof
• • •
p.3308 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My new toy, the 600mm f5.6 AIS.

My backyard usually busy with robins and cardinals. As expected, not a single bird shows up today.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:58 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3308 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Congrats Chuong! Beautiful lens, that ought to reach out and grab your daughter!

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:01 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some quick shots from today, had some time to kill, subject was one campus of the local university:

20/3.5 at f/5.6, I'm not really happy with both framing and B&W-conversion
Sometimes I shoot all too tightly framed and have no room to adjust angles later...

PC 85/2.8D wide open

PC 85/2.8D wide open too,
didn't see the legged mattress, was too obsessed with the sun in the foliage ;-)

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:09 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.3308 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, Buddy, Samy, Leighton, Zichar, George, Oosty, Ian and Ray... I humbly thank you all for your very kind words. Indeed I can not agree more, that the venue was the perfect choice for the event, and it does give that authentic look, and just adds to the time machine effect. Zichar, yes that kid was just too cute with his top-hat on, and he was more than happy to have his photo taken. I really like that we are still occasionally seeing film shots pop up here now and again, keep them coming! Oosty, your comment is certainly very flattering... It certainly means a lot to hear such kind words! Ian, yes, I really like the way the colour came out in these shots as well, but I also have a taste for the sepia... perhaps I will re-edit some in true black and white...

Thanks again gentlemen, I will certainly add some more photos to the thread as I get the opportunity!!

Cheers!!

edit:

for anyone wanting to get a better idea of what a Tweed Ride is all about, here is a well produced youtube video from London England. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/blPtJRAA5x0

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:09 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3308 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
My new toy, the 600mm f5.6 AIS.

My backyard usually busy with robins and cardinals. As expected, not a single bird shows up today.

Congrats, Chuong! How about carefully placing some mealworms on your lens as a lure. Your 600/5.6 would look even more impressive with a bird sitting on it ;-)
I'm just joking (thought about doing this kind of goofy stuff by myself).

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password