Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3291      
       3293              3818       3819       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3292 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Nikon D800 Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AIS. I hope it isn't a rerun!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9769194331_1dd298b8d7_b.jpg
a.Rollei.Brujo.rodriguez-8 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Americo, I like this one. My only critique would be more DOF to get more of the flower in focus.

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
p.3292 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Americo, I like this one. My only critique would be more DOF to get more of the flower in focus.

Thank you! I'll scour my flickR, because i am certain i may have one! i tried many different methods, but i got lost posting them! lol

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:46 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3292 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well here goes a five page catch up
Ben great series especially the chandelier
Samy lovin the 105 F4 such texture
Steve your backlit orchids are beautiful
Buddy we're so glad that you have your internet again - post away!!!
Chuong is that a flying pig from WKRP?
Ben lovely cacti
Ronny such a beautiful dog!
Peter your photos are great, bad eyesight or not.
Steve very nice photos from the park especially the lady rollerblading and I like the color ferry best
Scott this one is GREAT

Chin I find the food stall most interesting!
Georg I think that you do an amazing job - always perfectly exposed and composed
James don't let them tease you about your cookware. Just tell them to eat their hearts out!!!!
Peter I LOVE the B&W cabin photo and appropriately named
Americo your DOF is really improving I like your style

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my Bud shot

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
HCE HCE
• •
p.3292 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a 1st attempt at an image upload....hope it works!
D800 and 24mm.
-Jay-

Edited on Sep 29, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3292 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HCE HCE wrote:
Here's a 1st attempt at an image upload....hope it works!
D800 and 24mm.
-Jay-

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5339/9942437224_43df701442_b.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous image! The water is so blue...

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3292 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ooh, maybe I should start the Calphalon vs WMF debate here… heh
I don’t own anything fancy either, because my kitchen’s big enough for only one person to be in it and cabinet/counter space is limited
I find that I can do almost anything with the few that I have, which are chiefly from Ikea – frying pan, saucer, soup pot
Love love love my Lodge cast iron grill pan though; I remember shipping that from Amazon costs more than the pan itself
Oh and an el cheapo cast iron pot from Ikea (which looks exactly like the one from Target, rebranded perhaps?)
I’ve been thinking of putting my dog in it for a photo … maybe this weekend

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3292 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Welcome Jay, lovely image. I'm torn between this and the one with the 14-24 on that other thread.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:35 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3292 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin- You reminded me of this shot I took two years ago. Too bad it's AF.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/WP2_7163.jpg

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3292 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Haha that's exactly what I had in mind

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:27 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3292 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for all the good wishes on my near and dear.

My Nikon 15mm 3,5 ais is back from Nikon. Some of you may remember the repair saga, started in June, ended today. Went back three times. The lens was bought in new condition from Florida a long time ago for $500 or $600. Unknown to me it had a poor fungus repair that was not visible under normal light. The lens worked but it was nothing to write home about, far preferred to use the 15mm 5.6 to the 3.5.

Finally decided to send to Nikon, they cleaned it for $400 and sent it back working well, but I could still see some haze in one element, sent it back and they told me no parts were available and that the lens was working fine. Found out from customer service that they did have parts for these 15mm 3.5 lenses, so I had a return approved after some jostling. The third time it took 6 weeks waiting for parts and came back looking truly clean and transparent. Tested with flash and it is looking good. Will know this weekend if it is better than before. Now I have a new looking 15mm 3.5 that cost me $1,000 including the repair.

Here is the lens before and after the final repair. 5.6 on left, 3.5 on right

Nikons 15mm Vert by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Before

nikkor 15mm 3.5 needs further cleaning by Rafael CA, on Flickr

After

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.4 ais after third nikon service by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Sample at f8 on D800

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais after third nikon service 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Crop of the sample

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais after third nikon service crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Looking forward to the weekend!

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.3292 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, that's impressive. Wish I had it for my project at the college. The crop is unbelievable.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:59 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3292 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One from today using the 180mm 2.8 AIS

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:02 AM
matthewsaville
• •
p.3292 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey all,

I just recently came across a 24mm f/2 AIS, with a significantly marked-up front element. Does anybody know if this lens is still serviceable, and what it might cost to re-coat (or replace) the front element? More than the cost of a better condition used copy, I assume, but hope otherwise?

=Matt=

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:38 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3292 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt, probably going to cost more than a new one. Perhaps you can find another bad one with a clean element and mix and match. I have done that with a couple lenses.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:03 AM
matthewsaville
• •
p.3292 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Matt, probably going to cost more than a new one. Perhaps you can find another bad one with a clean element and mix and match. I have done that with a couple lenses.

That's what I was thinking. Or, and I know this sounds crazy, but does anybody know anything about removing the multi-coating layer? Probably not possible? There is no process for polishing a glass element to reduce marks, without affecting optical performance?

Buying two damaged ones, I would probably just about break even with the cost of one in decent condition.

I think I may just wait to see if Sigma does a 24 1.4 next like rumors are saying... ;-)

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:49 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3292 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

matthewsaville wrote:
That's what I was thinking. Or, and I know this sounds crazy, but does anybody know anything about removing the multi-coating layer? Probably not possible? There is no process for polishing a glass element to reduce marks, without affecting optical performance?

Buying two damaged ones, I would probably just about break even with the cost of one in decent condition.

I think I may just wait to see if Sigma does a 24 1.4 next like rumors are saying... ;-)

Good luck! My old 24/2 Ai has some fine marks on both front- and rear-element and is not ideally suited for shooting into the light. But I really love the unique rendering of this small and lightweight piece of glass.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:22 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3292 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, I'm glad to read about the happy-ending 15/3.5-story. Do you store all your gear in Pelicases? I'm just curious.

HCE, very nice "shore-scape"! Love the framing. How long did you expose this scenery?

Ray, nice work with the 180/2.8 ED again! A good pictorial reminder to finally bookmark your 180/2.8 AI vs Ais ED-comparison ;-)

Americo, your still-life basically works for me. It would look better in my opinion without the upper flower. A square crop with the blossom at the left side fully within the frame would be my way to shoot this still. No offense meant.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:31 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3292 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Wow, that's impressive. Wish I had it for my project at the college. The crop is unbelievable.

A D800 helps too.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
HCE HCE
• •
p.3292 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Kevin and Chin, I was so intent on the posting mechanics (took me a couple of tries) that I omitted some details.
It was a 30 sec exposure using a B&W 10 stop ND in front of a 24mm plastic/fantastic PC tilt shift lens.
The filter introduces a color shift, so the blue may not be entirely accurate after my post process.

-Jay-

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:11 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3292 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

matthewsaville wrote:

It is a major endeavor to polish a lens while keeping its curvature/formula, and it takes a vacuum plasma chamber to coat again, Either find a good part or let it go.

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password