Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3289      
       3291              4305       4306       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3290 #1 · p.3290 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny
Love the DOF on this shot, your work is awesome, still can't get over the snail shots!

Luc- Love the cactus shots, really nice

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:07 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3290 #2 · p.3290 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

lucdeschepper wrote:
Hello all, I haven't posted comments or images on this forum for quite a while due to voluntary and non-voluntary focusing (sic) on other topics and issues. Anyway, I have decided to sell my D700 and not buy a Dslr replacement. Like many others the weight and size of modern full frame dslr's plus lenses have become too much of a burden for me. I'll also sell most of my AF lenses and for the time being keep my MF lenses and my 105mm f2 DC.

So, as a kind of swansong I packed my D700 for a recent holiday, along
...Show more

Great series!

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:26 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3290 #3 · p.3290 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Simply excellent Steve - blowing this out really works for me.

+1 Steve. Like this very much.

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:27 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3290 #4 · p.3290 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:32 AM
raboof
• • •
p.3290 #5 · p.3290 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I like the second shot, Scott.

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:59 AM
the solitaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3290 #6 · p.3290 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

+1. That second shot is very well spotted.

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3290 #7 · p.3290 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've got incredibly shaky hands for someone my age; too many years of coffee, twitch-friendly video games, who knows
It is a downer considering I used to paint and sketch before dabbling in photography
These soft delicate asian hands of mine do not cooperate with the D700 well either, kinda explains why I've never owned a grip

My approach is only to force myself to pre-visualise comp, exposure and outcome, as well as having the settings all 'pre-fiddled' before I lift the camera up to my face. And it's up for 3 seconds tops.
This includes gauging distance (I use an imaginary fish tank, because I used to own a 3ft fish tank, I think of the distance in multiples of fish tanks...) and having the focus set to as close as possible
It is optimised for the scenes and styles I shoot
If it doesn't work out, I place the camera down resting on the strap, think, and then try again
This deliberation has helped me in my film adventure
But also explains why I'm terribly un-prolific!

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:47 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3290 #8 · p.3290 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
I've got incredibly shaky hands for someone my age; too many years of coffee, twitch-friendly video games, who knows!

there must be more to that, because I do resemble that description and my hands are quite steady (especially when I do get my coffee )

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:54 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3290 #9 · p.3290 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have two monopods, a light one that can hold my camera and my 50/1.8E or lighter. I have a much more robust one as well that I think can support 24 pounds. I use the heavy one more often, it's mass helps with steadiness. My problem is with stability on my person. I shake and sway. On top of that, my back is failing, so I struggle with the weight sometimes. It's frustrating that I can go one day using a neck strap without issue, all day, and another day, 15 minutes and I am done.

I have mapped out what I want in a kit, just a matter of time and resources. For AF, 20/2.8 AFD, 35-70/2.8 AFD and 80-200/2.8 AFD; jury is still out on the 10.5 Nikon...I like it, just don't see me using it a lot. For MF, 28/2.8 (I have the Series E, but use my 28/3.5 more), a 55/1.2, and an 85/1.8 or faster. I have long covered, don't shoot wide often...

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3290 #10 · p.3290 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Scott

Thanks for your comment Scott

Love the two chairs. It's so autumnal - quite evocative !!

Steve

Sep 25, 2013 at 07:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Stokesey
• • •
p.3290 #11 · p.3290 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Steve, I prefer the B&W-version. Your second take on the "Hells Gate" is great; would love to try myself at this wonderful subject ;-)

Thanx Georg

I am inclined to agree about the mono version.

As for hells gate ....... I'm not racing you to get there. I'll get there in my own time

Steve

Sep 25, 2013 at 07:33 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3290 #12 · p.3290 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the input everyone. I took a couple of pics with my son's D700 and while it is a great camera, I find the $1000 tag on used too expensive for my limited use. I think the images dispayed here using that camera are excellent and it has more than enough resolution for anything most of us will ever print - for that matter so does the D200 as I've had great results with a couple of A3 (16.5 x 11.7 inches) that could easily have been A2.

The real issue seems to be my inability to find focus fast which is due to my eyesight and probably the fact that I usually take pictures of static obkects I don't have too much trouble when I can take my time but taking pictures of very active children or street photos requires a lot of practice.

So, as with most things in life it probably comes down to practice, practice, practice!

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:55 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3290 #13 · p.3290 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, maybe its just my tired mind, but I somehow can imagine two spirits sitting side by side on the chairs, at peace with the mist and the fog. Very evocative images.

mp356 wrote:
Scott

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3290 #14 · p.3290 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. I took a couple of pics with my son's D700 and while it is a great camera, I find the $1000 tag on used too expensive for my limited use. I think the images dispayed here using that camera are excellent and it has more than enough resolution for anything most of us will ever print - for that matter so does the D200 as I've had great results with a couple of A3 (16.5 x 11.7 inches) that could easily have been A2.

The real issue seems to be my inability to find focus fastI don't have too much trouble when I can take my time but taking pictures of very active children or street photos requires a lot of practice.

So, as with most things in life it probably comes down to practice, practice, practice!
...Show more

Peter I love your candour.

But looking at your images I don't see much of a problem.

Your recent ones from France are gorgeous.

I usually work on the basis - that if I struggle to get the pix - its usually my fault. Therefore stick to what I know works - and if I have time practice the other stuff. but only if there's time.

Love your work Peter so keep posting.

Steve

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:54 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3290 #15 · p.3290 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Luc, those cacti are beautiful. Hope you get a chance to use your skills again.

Peter (Knysna), sorry to hear about your difficulties. The FF certainly makes a difference in focusing, but you may also want to include an AF like a 50mm 1.8G in your kit for those times you are not photographing static subjects.

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:56 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3290 #16 · p.3290 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And glad to see Leighton lift the 4 images per post limit

Some of the usual suspects have been busy elsewhere, so its great to see relatively newer folk keep the thread busy with great images

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:58 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3290 #17 · p.3290 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

BTW, Steve, thanks for the comment, but please don't keep me the same category as Ronny Any subject he does, flowers, dogs, snails, comes out superb!

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3290 #18 · p.3290 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I have two monopods, a light one that can hold my camera and my 50/1.8E or lighter. I have a much more robust one as well that I think can support 24 pounds. I use the heavy one more often, it's mass helps with steadiness. My problem is with stability on my person. I shake and sway. On top of that, my back is failing, so I struggle with the weight sometimes. It's frustrating that I can go one day using a neck strap without issue, all day, and another day, 15 minutes and I am done.

I have mapped
...Show more

Interesting conversation about shooting issues. When a recent pro visited the farm he had a real cool set up. He had a monopod with a little arm that could swing up to rest on his shoulder. He also had a little pouch around his waist that the end of the pod set in. It looked like a very stable configuration.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569280-REG/Gitzo_GC5330_GC5330_Monopod_Holster.html

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3290 #19 · p.3290 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Scott

Love this one Scott, is this your place?

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Stokesey
• • •
p.3290 #20 · p.3290 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
BTW, Steve, thanks for the comment, but please don't keep me the same category as Ronny Any subject he does, flowers, dogs, snails, comes out superb!

I agree with you about Ronny's pictures Samy

But have to leave you in the same category, cos your pix are equally inspiring, certainly in my world where I am encouraged by the quality you both achieve, and many others of course.

Nice to see some modesty.

Steve

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password