Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3239      
       3241              4306       4307       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3240 #1 · p.3240 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

20mm f/3.5 gets the 3 frame HDR 32 bit treatment (+/-2 stops, high frame rate burst, no tripod). Best campsite in Evolution Valley

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:54 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3240 #2 · p.3240 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
20mm f/3.5 gets the 3 frame HDR 32 bit treatment (+/-2 stops, high frame rate burst, no tripod). Best campsite in Evolution Valley

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/DSC_4780_HDR32_web.jpg

Nice treatment, not overdone. I like it! Care to share your process?

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:00 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3240 #3 · p.3240 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Excellent as usual Peter!

Here's one last image from yesterday. 45/2.8AI-P + CPL and some heavy CS6 to battle the extreme DR of the scene.

Yet Another View of Mt. Rainer On A Sunny Day

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/8.0    1/350s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:03 AM
adh67
• • •
p.3240 #4 · p.3240 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great stuff again, especially the church shots by Ronny and the Mt Rainier by John.

Here are a few from the front yard as inspired by Ronny taken with 135mm F 3.5 AI and PK12 and PK13 and 50mm F1.8 with PK12

Bert

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Bert de Haan

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:11 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3240 #5 · p.3240 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Nice treatment, not overdone. I like it! Care to share your process?

first, open all frames that go into the image in Camera Raw, make sure all are same color balance, adjust each to what they are supposed to do in the final image, which means the dark image can't have any whites, lots of detail in the areas that are later the highlights, the medium image needs to go from white to black, and the bright image can be slightly blown out in the highlights, but have lots of detail in the dark areas, but no absolute blacks. Rest is normal stuff like remove chromatic aberration, color profile, etc. I don't touch clarity or vibrance at this point.

Open all images into CS6, then file-automate-merge into HDR Pro. Here, ignore all the presets and make sure it goes into 32 bit mode. All the adjustments disappear except for remove ghosts in a check box, which I checked here, but I don't really know what it does. The look of the image at this point is usually horrible - but we're not done yet. Click OK and once the file is loaded in Photoshop do nothing but save it to 32-bit TIFF.

Next step is the trick (thanks, Gavin Hoey) - go back into bridge and right click the 32-bit TIFF, and choose "open in Camera Raw" from the drop down menu. Now you are looking at a file with +/- 10 stops in camera RAW. I do the full Serge Ramelli - -100 highlights + 100 shadows, adjust White and Black to liking. Add some clarity, do some local adjustments, load into Photoshop, save. Done.

Thing is, I could probably get a near identical image from the normally exposed RAW file of the D600 doing those last steps to just that file. Not quite, but close, since the dynamic range is so good. Ideally, I would like to shoot 3-frmae bursts with +/- 3 or 4 stops, but I think the camera can't do that.

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:13 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3240 #6 · p.3240 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A touristy look at the White House earlier this year, taken with the 105 1.8 AIS. Lots of chromatic aberration even at f8.

And the Vietnam Memorial, same day. This one with the 55 1.2 S.

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:15 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3240 #7 · p.3240 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Rafael, I prefer the "old" processing. Very nice work, the mirror-shots are wonderful. The dancers will be pleased for sure.

It is interesting to me that the 50-300 has good bokeh, lots of distortion but very sharp. This one has added glow, vignette and saturation.

nikon nikkor 50-300mm D800 a portrait with glow and some saturation. by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This one has next to no processing with the 55 1,2 sc.

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC Guajome carriage house by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Sep 03, 2013 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:16 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3240 #8 · p.3240 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Thread's moving too fast, I think we are doing 5 pages a day or more. Rafael, I like the less distorted 15mm view, but am I imagining it or is the 16mm image sharper.

Ronnie, a different look to your recent images, and equally enjoyable!

Ray, interesting comparison, I am hard pressed to find differences between the Sonnar and Gauss 105mm 2.5 P lenses, other than the slight difference you point out. I had trouble distinguishing between the 10.5cm 2.5 P 9 blade and 6 blade versions that I posted a couple days back. Ultimately anything that Nikon has made in that
...Show more

Samy, this 15mm 3.5 is indeed less sharp, but after a repair for haze by Nikon it did improve a lot.

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:18 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3240 #9 · p.3240 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, those dancers with the 50-300mm zoom have been outstanding! Quite a large lens to use for such an event, but you are getting superb results.

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:30 AM
saph
• • • •
p.3240 #10 · p.3240 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And last one for today, still digging back into images taken earlier. This one is taken with the 28 3.5 PC. Space shuttle Discovery, comfortable in retirement.

From Wikipedia:

"Discovery has flown more than any other spacecraft, having completed 39 successful missions in over 27 years of service."

Sep 03, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.3240 #11 · p.3240 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two different takes on the same scene, both shots cropped from 20mm f/2.5, first one about 50%, second much more, but still reduced about 50% for web display. D600 files are just amazing, can't imagine what I'd do with D800 files. That was about the only time in 2 weeks I wished I had packed the ND100 filter, but without a tripod, this was about as long as I could hold the camera on a tree stump without messing up the image anyway

f/22.0 0.4s ISO 50

f/22.0 1/6s ISO 100

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:18 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.3240 #12 · p.3240 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

blown away by these images, super super work, love this thread. A few from the weekend, 16 3.5 and a ton of sensor cleaning I need to do!

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:28 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3240 #13 · p.3240 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
first, open all frames that go into the image in Camera Raw, make sure all are same color balance, adjust each to what they are supposed to do in the final image, which means the dark image can't have any whites, lots of detail in the areas that are later the highlights, the medium image needs to go from white to black, and the bright image can be slightly blown out in the highlights, but have lots of detail in the dark areas, but no absolute blacks. Rest is normal stuff like remove chromatic aberration, color profile, etc. I don't
...Show more

Going to give this a try. Are you saying -100 on highlights and +100 on shadows? There is an extra dash there that I am confused with.

Oh, ghosts are halos around stuff that moves fromr frame to frame (like walking people). The HDR treatment makes them appear as ghosts. HDR Pro does a second step similar to the subtract wizard where it removes changes and keeps static items. I have used that wizard to remove people from like a town square, leaving the structures in place.

Edited on Sep 03, 2013 at 01:41 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Socalpicman
• •
p.3240 #14 · p.3240 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

WOW!
I go outside to smoke a cigar and drink a few beers, trying to cool off some in the evening occasional breeze and come back to a full page of just OUTSTANDING shots.

Both sets of hiking pictures, Mt Rainier and the waterfall , flowers with insects, space shuttle, white house, a beautiful dancer, dune/sunset shots all magnificent!

Thanks so much for a great thread,
JD

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:38 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3240 #15 · p.3240 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Rafael, those dancers with the 50-300mm zoom have been outstanding! Quite a large lens to use for such an event, but you are getting superb results.

The thing about this lens Samy is that it balances on a tripod really well, gives you such a wide range with excellent to outstanding image, zooming is very easy and light as it is all internal, focusing moves the whole heavy front of the lens but in a very smooth way.

To command an event or a shoot on a tripod it works well for me.

Summer Pops CCAE 031 NORMAL by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:41 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3240 #16 · p.3240 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
And a museum airplane image (from the Air and Space museum in Virginia). I believe with the 28mm 3.5 PC. A Folk Wulfe FW-190, if I remember my air war history correctly.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/Airplanes/FolkWulfeBnW_zps03497e6b.jpg

Samy, nice image, composition, and conversion. That lens produces very sharp details.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:45 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3240 #17 · p.3240 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
Here are a few from the front yard as inspired by Ronny taken with 135mm F 3.5 AI and PK12 and PK13 and 50mm F1.8 with PK12

Bert

Very nice series Bert. The third is extremely nice.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:48 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3240 #18 · p.3240 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml wrote:
blown away by these images, super super work, love this thread. A few from the weekend, 16 3.5 and a ton of sensor cleaning I need to do!

Andy, I like the effect in the second image. Nicely seen.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:50 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3240 #19 · p.3240 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Going to give this a try. Are you saying -100 on highlights and +100 on shadows? There is an extra dash there that I am confused with.

Oh, ghosts are halos around stuff that moves fromr frame to frame (like walking people). The HDR treatment makes them appear as ghosts. HDR Pro does a second step similar to the subtract wizard where it removes changes and keeps static items. I have used that wizard to remove people from like a town square, leaving the structures in place.

always -100 highlights, +100 shadows, unless it isn't supposed to have much shadow detail. it is the Whites and Blacks that really set the contrast (hold down alt key to see clipping), while the highlights and shadows are what you are compressing into the visible 8 bit range by doing that slider setting. Serge Ramelli basics

ghosts - I always thought that's what the ugly HDR halos were. When doing panorama stitches with moving subjects, CS6 does that automatically. The Heart Lake pano on the last page had my son walking through three different frames in three different locations, but the final stitch had him only in one spot, perfectly sharp.

Sep 03, 2013 at 01:52 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3240 #20 · p.3240 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
always -100 highlights, +100 shadows, unless it isn't supposed to have much shadow detail. it is the Whites and Blacks that really set the contrast (hold down alt key to see clipping), while the highlights and shadows are what you are compressing into the visible 8 bit range by doing that slider setting. Serge Ramelli basics

ghosts - I always thought that's what the ugly HDR halos were. When doing panorama stitches with moving subjects, CS6 does that automatically. The Heart Lake pano on the last page had my son walking through three different frames in three different locations,
...Show more

Thanks for this. Going to try this soon. How does it do with higher ISO?

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password