Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3237      
       3239              4183       4184       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3238 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Bert... that is where you call home at least eight hours a day five days a week. Not a bad place to hang out, as you well know. Here's an another treatment intended to break monitors... A three stitch panorama also taken with the 85 f/14. AI-s, hand held as always. I converted in Silver Efex Pro 2 but opted for a different treatment.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-D9ibV0wJr9w/UiQLliHnzkI/AAAAAAAAWNk/R9Gj9Lyu6Cs/s1600/85.1.4.SFPanoramaFromTiburonSEP.jpg

Definitely worth reposting. This is fantastic Curtis. Also thank you for the comment.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Stokesey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3238 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I might just have to stop acquiring MF lenses and save some pennies

Curtis' fabulous pano of the Bay makes me want to go back as soon as possible.

The State is home to many of the places and things that put a smile on my face.

Yosemite has to be my favourite place in the world, SF hosts the buildings and restaurants.

The Big Sur is a must and Sausilito and San Luis Obispo great locations, plus Napa and Sonamo for the wonderful wines. How much better could life get !!!

Along side my favourite building, my favourite restaurant/cafe of the time - The Cafe Niebaum-Coppola (It may not even be there now)

To get both in the same shot - bliss

Steve

Stokesey 2013

SF favourites - 25-50mm f4 @f11 set to 25mm

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:52 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3238 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Along side my favourite building, my favourite restaurant/cafe of the time - The Cafe Niebaum-Coppola (It may not even be there now)

To get both in the same shot - bliss

Steve

Steve, I really like this one. Great mix of old and contemporary.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3238 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on the panorama folks. One of these days I'll get that tripod and do a serious job at capturing scenes like this. I'm not certain it would hold up to a larger format, especially at the right side where my technique was getting a bit sloppy. It works well at 1600 pixels however.

Love reading your list of favorite aspects of California Steve. I know that I'm blessed to live in such a marvelous world. All the places you mention and quite a few more have been visited often. One year I visited Yosemite in each of the season's except summer. We were ihe first persons allowed to visit the valley floor following a major snowfall. Sadly, those were not days in which I was taking photos because the scene was breathtakingly beautiful with everything blanketed with inches of fresh snow.

Napa Valley is about forty minutes from where I live. I'll be visiting in about three weeks when Sue and I celebrate my birthday at one of our favorite restaurants, Brix.

Make certain when you've saved enough pennies for a trip to let me know you're coming. We can ramble about a bit. There is nothing quite as enjoyable as taking photos with someone seriously immersed in photography...

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3238 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, I mis-read the caption of your last set of images... you called it a rainy day and looking at the images I assumed you meant "grainy" day...

Wonderful images beautifully converted, very much in a film style.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:39 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3238 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I only spent a few days in San Francisco, a long time ago

the same two buildings, further away, fuzzy shot, but when I saw the above photo I remembered having been there - 1988, 35mm f/2.8 AIS and cheap polarizer on Kodachrome 64, I think

smart grid in 1989, 135mm f/2.8 on Fuji RD100

lost somewhere in the city, 1989, 135mm f/2.8 Fuji RD100

fire escapes, 1989, 135mm f/2.8 on Fuji RD100

more old and new, 1989, 135mm f/2.8 on RD100

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3238 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is my personal comparison between the Sonnar 105mm 2.5P vs newer Gauss 105mm 2.5P
The newer model has a little more contrast, truer color (especially the red), a little nicer bokeh, and a tiny bit sharper, perhaps because of the larger rear element. All in all I believe the Gauss design is the tiniest bit better than the sonnar. Surprize surprize just as Bjorn said it was. The sonnar is by no means a slouch getting a 4.5 rating. I am sure the P.C. version of the 105 is even nicer with it's extra coating. IMHO you can not go wrong with either one

Photos are displayed here - Sonnar first then Gauss
http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/p12947543.

Edited on Sep 02, 2013 at 04:22 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3238 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice, Steve

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:48 PM
LarryM
• •
p.3238 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Thank you, Scott. Much appreciated.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:50 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3238 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Found some time to process some more images from last month

MIG-21F at the SAC museum in Nebraska, both with the 55mm f/1.2 on D600

f/4.0 1/125s ISO 800

f/4.0 1/100s ISO 800 - that is a B29 reflected in the MIG.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Foggy14
• • •
p.3238 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, Ray and Samy, thanks for the comments on the trail shots.

Leighton, I've always been a baseball cap guy, but I'm starting to see the advantages of the wide brims and may need to join your hat club.

Sep 02, 2013 at 05:40 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3238 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I was sitting on the porch enjoying a beer and grilling a chicken when I spotted this guy on the Hydrangea bush. So I put the 55/2.8 on and grabbed a shot. He was about 3/8 of an inch in size. We've had SO many snails around this year that I thought of selling them at the market for escargot.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7313/9654359716_94a9d8e337_b.jpg
55/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Beautiful shot Leighton!

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:02 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3238 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some snaps from a short walk through the rainy garden:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/9651616843_eb89814ca4_b.jpg
all with the 50/1.2 Ais wide open on a D700

Really cool shots Georg

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:03 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3238 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Bert... that is where you call home at least eight hours a day five days a week. Not a bad place to hang out, as you well know. Here's an another treatment intended to break monitors... A three stitch panorama also taken with the 85 f/14. AI-s, hand held as always. I converted in Silver Efex Pro 2 but opted for a different treatment.

Super nice pano Curtis. I can see that a tripod might have added to the sharprness

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:05 PM
designdog
• •
p.3238 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Why I don't shoot film (I.)

As I promised myself, I am shooting primarily the 85mm and 35mm for the month of September. Unfortunately, I had to return the 35mm and won't get its replacement until later this week. So today I have been using the 85 1.4 AI-s.

In the following shot (heavily fooled around with by me in PSCC) I am about 10 feet form the object, shooting at f4 so I could have some isolation. I put my little square in the D800 viewfinder right over the center of the plant in the pot, thought rock-steady thoughts, and gently squeezed the shutter. The first photo is what I got.

But wait! The center is out of focus! How could that be, ladies and gentleman? Look at the second photo, a crop of the first. Somehow, even from 10 feet away, something in that little square decided to see right through the foliage in the center and focus on what was behind it, just an inch away!

There is no way I could have discerned this, and nothing I could have done about it, short of shooting at f11.

Good thing I can just toss this, and not have spent film costs! This happens a lot, and with many of my lenses, so it is not a back focusing issue. I think.

D800 85mm 1.8 AI-s

D800 85mm 1.8 AI-s (crop)

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:06 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3238 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two fresh panorama stitches, both 20mm f/3.5, five and seven vertical frames for about 145 to 180 degree views. These were taken about an hour apart before and after crossing Selden Pass along the John Muir Trail

Marie Lake

Heart Lake - note the triple lens flare from that alien sun

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:23 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3238 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some snaps from a short walk through the rainy garden:

[00

Georg - yes, the leaf's distracting - but so are the two pieces of fruit in the foreground, there's a lot going on - but as Leighton says, the eye goes to the fruit in focus. Love the tap shot - the diagonal, the tight focus - everything.

Another lovely pano of the bay Curtis.
Peter - love the Marie Lake pic.

ben

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3238 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here is my personal comparison between the Sonnar 105mm 2.5P vs newer Gauss 105mm 2.5P
The newer model has a little more contrast, truer color (especially the red), a little nicer bokeh, and a tiny bit sharper, perhaps because of the larger rear element. All in all I believe the Gauss design is the tiniest bit better than the sonnar. Surprize surprize just as Bjorn said it was. The sonnar is by no means a slouch getting a 4.5 rating. I am sure the P.C. version of the 105 is even nicer with it's extra coating. IMHO you can not go
...Show more

Thank you for the comment Ray.

And thank you for this comparison. Nothing that was unexpected and just like your other recent comparison the older lens seems to have a warmer output.

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:46 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3238 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
The newer model has a little more contrast, truer color (especially the red), a little nicer bokeh, and a tiny bit sharper, perhaps because of the larger rear element. All in all I believe the Gauss design is the tiniest bit better than the sonnar. Surprize surprize just as Bjorn said it was. The sonnar is by no means a slouch getting a 4.5 rating. I am sure the P.C. version of the 105 is even nicer with it's extra coating. IMHO you can not go
...Show more

Ray, very nice comparison of the 105's. I have been thinking about obtaining one of these versions for awhile. Like the look of the older Sonnar version but the optical quality of the newer Gauss version. Don't need both!
Thanks for doing this. Not sure it has made my choice any easier.
Scott

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3238 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks !!
Ben:Love it.. Great set !
John: love your shot with 16mm f3.5 !
Great set Peter in Wi !
Great shot Dave !
Great set Curtis.. Really nice bokeh!