FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3226      
       3228              5886       5887       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3227 #1 · p.3227 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, those are some lovely bowties there. I agree that black is one of the best looking colors on a car.

The D300 is still the camera of choice for me as well. I recently put in a split finder focus screen and it´s a real help in getting focus there where I want it. The funny thing is that the focus screen is actually more accurate then the focus confirmation dot on my camera.

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Reagan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3227 #2 · p.3227 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ratty and Americo,
My wife says I would choose the Chevelle over her and the dog

Reagan

Black on Black

not mine- but 3 deuces are nostalgic

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:46 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3227 #3 · p.3227 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Very nice Leighton. Love the crisp light.

Thanks Scott, the light this time of year is hard to beat.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3227 #4 · p.3227 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
A shot from yesterday noon, the first fall-storm was coming. A few hours later it was pretty wild, but we had no real damage in my neck of the woods.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/10553056535_88275117c2_o.jpg
Südwest von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Southwester - D700 + PC-E 45/2.8 tilted, effective aperture f/4

I love how the only thing in focus is the wind sock, very nicely seen.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3227 #5 · p.3227 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, good to have you back. I'm glad to see you still have the Chevelle. When are you selling the D300?

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3227 #6 · p.3227 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Are you looking to buy one?

Reagan

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3227 #7 · p.3227 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, nice to see you (and your wonderful Chevelle as well) here again! Congrats to your D300, it's a very capable camera.

Leighton, thanks!

Tom and Peter from Knysna, interesting thoughts about archiving images. Some of my personal favorites get printed on Fuji Crystal-Archive-paper, hope they will last longer than CD's, DVD's or hard-drives.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3227 #8 · p.3227 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank you Georg, Scott.

Georg, the Nikon shooter used to be a photog with the local newspaper until he went freelance.

Leighton, this was my guess (that he's a pro of some sort). I hope he could sell some shots - good for him, good for the farmers market and for the paper-readers too.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3227 #9 · p.3227 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton, this was my guess (that he's a pro of some sort). I hope he could sell some shots - good for him, good for the farmers market and for the paper-readers too.

I hope things aren't going in Germany with the newspapers like they seem to be here. Laying off whole photography staffs in favor of people shooting events with smartphones.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
HCE HCE
• • •
p.3227 #10 · p.3227 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
Jay, this is such a cool shot. I'd love to hear about the set up...remote release? However you did it - it is great!

James, you are right, after shooting with a 300mm Axxofocus and getting flattened perspective birds I set up a tripod next to the nuts and tripped the shutter with a radio linked inexpensive remote shutter release. I'm traveling now so I can't tell you the exact model. It has a bit of delay but otherwise works great.
------------
Here's one that needs a bit of attention, a true American classic. D800 28mm f/2 @ f/2

-Jay-

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Reagan
• • • •
p.3227 #11 · p.3227 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^^^^^^^^

All it needs is some love and a few parts
Make an offer on it

Reagan

But one part always leads to another

Reagan

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3227 #12 · p.3227 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

Reasonably stored negatives and slides will last many decades. I have film from my parents parents that looks completely unaffected by age. My parents slides too are also as good as the day they were returned from the lab.

Cheap color film might show some aging, but if stored in the dark and in a dry environment, will still last a very long time.

Assuming your film has had quality processing of course.

Oh, my slides are stored well, archival pages in storage bins in a dry cool room. The processing is the sticking point. Even my slide film processed at the local pro lab for $10 per roll (in the 90s!) is showing some variation now. Some rolls are beginning to show color shift, others look like day 1.

Then there's that OrwoChrome slide film from the early 80s, discount East German film I bought back then when on a budget. Those images have lost almost all of the red color and each image needs massive curve correction to get back into reasonable color balance. The only good thing about that film was its massive grain at ISO 50 :-)

There are also about 10,000 frames on c41 negative film in unknown condition, and digitizing just some of these images is going to be a rather tedious job, even if I scan just those I marked back in the day as something worth scanning. Calibrating each strip of film before scanning will simply take forever, but without that effort it's not worth doing at all.

I'm not so worried about storing digital files - I've never lost one. Working with online video, I am used to storing large amounts of data in multiple locations and at least three places, keeping storage synchronized and redundant. I collect bad hard drives in my office - got a huge pile of them by now. Looking at that pile of dead platters will teach you never to trust a single computer system to hold your data, even if it's running RAID 6.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.3227 #13 · p.3227 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
There are also about 10,000 frames on c41 negative film in unknown condition, and digitizing just some of these images is going to be a rather tedious job, even if I scan just those I marked back in the day as something worth scanning. Calibrating each strip of film before scanning will simply take forever, but without that effort it's not worth doing at all.

Vuescan advanced workflow works well to calibrate the base film color, and setup a proper exposure for the film strip. You sound like you know what you are doing, so you are probably already doing something similar. I wish I had tried it at the beginning of my scanning adventure. Does take an additional 5 to 10 minutes at the beginning, but the colors are much more consistent, and the preview scan now matches the final scan.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:29 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3227 #14 · p.3227 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Adam Bavier wrote:
Vuescan advanced workflow works well to calibrate the base film color, and setup a proper exposure for the film strip. You sound like you know what you are doing, so you are probably already doing something similar. I wish I had tried it at the beginning of my scanning adventure. Does take an additional 5 to 10 minutes at the beginning, but the colors are much more consistent, and the preview scan now matches the final scan.

I use Viewscan, and I know about that work flow. I used so many different types of film (whatever was cheap) and it was developed in various places, I have to do that for each strip of film...

thing is, negs are negs, and even the best scan is usually very disappointing when compared to what I did with slide film on the same day at the same place. It really is a matter of color accuracy, and neg film, even processed perfectly and then matched to slide film reference shots from that same day will just never be the same. I have the hardest time with the vibrant colors to get those right, without killing skin tones at the same time. Meanwhile, my slides are scanning right now while I sit here, 50 at a time, nice and slow, 16 passes each, and all automated up to the point when I go into camera raw with the 48 bit TIFF and do final adjustments. It's almost tolerable, if it wasn't for the sheer volume I am looking at. My negs on the other hands will take years to scan, should I actually feel up to it...

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3227 #15 · p.3227 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on the previous photo. Skipped to the MF shots to process this.

scallion sisters by Zichar, on Flickr

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
designdog
• •
p.3227 #16 · p.3227 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It is time for me to bid adieu to the active participants of this wonderful forum: today I shipped out the last of my Nikon MF glass, and can no longer claim membership.

While it is true that I was not much of a participant during my brief stay, I received much more than I gave, in knowledge, advocacy, and friendship. I would have posted more images here, but I was never really happy with most of my photographs. And therein lies the reason for my exit: the D800.

Quite frankly, I have never been satisfied with my images using these lenses on the D800. On the D700, most certainly. But the resolution demands of the D800 offended my eye when I peeked at any of my images (well, a great many of them) at 100% in Lightroom or Photoshop. They just weren't there for me, and it was affecting my happiness in photography.

I know there will be strong disagreement with my opinion on this, but, it is my opinion only — to each their own. After acquiring a few newer, higher resolution lenses, I readily perceived the difference, and made the decision to go with fewer lenses (fewer because of the cost!) but those lenses that I felt performed to my expectations on the D800.

So I will be moving on to the Zeiss forum, and, hopefully, make more of a contribution there than I did here. Thank you again for all of your kind remarks here, and may this wonderful forum continue to prosper!

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:49 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3227 #17 · p.3227 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sorry to see you go, I hope you still visit from time to time. I am in the same boat, but not from a resolution standpoint. My "boat" is size and weight of the body in addition to the lenses. I have switched over to the Fuji system and adapt my lenses to work with the much lighter frame. You will see me over in the Zeiss area as well, one of my treasured pieces from my old film days is a Zeiss in Exacta mount. There is one adapter out there to mount Exacta on Fuji and will be using it a lot.

Happy trails!

designdog wrote:
It is time for me to bid adieu to the active participants of this wonderful forum: today I shipped out the last of my Nikon MF glass, and can no longer claim membership.

While it is true that I was not much of a participant during my brief stay, I received much more than I gave, in knowledge, advocacy, and friendship. I would have posted more images here, but I was never really happy with most of my photographs. And therein lies the reason for my exit: the D800.

Quite frankly, I have never been satisfied with my images using these lenses
...Show more

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:55 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3227 #18 · p.3227 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David, sorry to see you go too. I hope you can enjoy photography more now.

Chin, I prefer "to reduce agitation" slightly over "scallion sisters", but the latter one is wonderful too.

Jay, the "true American classic" is well taken.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:42 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3227 #19 · p.3227 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:

I'm not so worried about storing digital files - I've never lost one. Working with online video, I am used to storing large amounts of data in multiple locations and at least three places, keeping storage synchronized and redundant. I collect bad hard drives in my office - got a huge pile of them by now. Looking at that pile of dead platters will teach you never to trust a single computer system to hold your data, even if it's running RAID 6.

Digital data rot is relentless. That you have not yet discovered a lost one does not mean that it is not happening, (right now! ) Your storage solution is not adequate to prevent data rot. You have 3 copies of data. Each is rotting independently. How do you discover this rot? How do you prevent this damaged data from being copied onto other archives when they are synced? Rot happens on perfectly functioning hard drives.

I have lost about 20 of the earliest photos of my new born son. A terrible loss. My back ups were useless since the rotted data was just copied onto the backup. I have other data on DVD's (taiyo yuden archival media) that rotted in 5 years. These DVD's were *never* used after backup. They sat in a dark closet. 5 years later one was found unreadable.

As I said, data rot is relentless. The problem is only just beginning. 10-20 years forward, it will be an enormous problem for sensitive, precious data. How to prevent? There are no satisfactory answers.

Your film processing experience sounds *awful*. I have never seen anything remotely as bad as what you have had happen to you. A real shame! Film is truly archival but it must be done right!

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3227 #20 · p.3227 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Digital rot is a new term for me, never really heard it before... Wonder what can be done to keep this from happening? I had a HDD fail about a 7 years ago. It was my backups backup in an external enclosure. One day I plugged in the external to do my monthly backup, flipped it on, hosed the enclosure, drive AND computer... Lost all my kids baby pictures...every last one.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password