FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3225      
       3227              5890       5891       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3226 #1 · p.3226 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's the list of participants on the thread. I may have missed a few, if so, please let me know.

Names of particpants

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3226 #2 · p.3226 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Here's the list of participants on the thread. I may have missed a few, if so, please let me know.

Names of particpants

Are you working for NSA buddy?

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:23 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3226 #3 · p.3226 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
Are you working for NSA buddy?

It's about time you made an appearance! How the heck are you?

Edited on Oct 29, 2013 at 06:13 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:42 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3226 #4 · p.3226 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

paxnobiscum wrote:
Thanks for all your friendly comments re my humble shots. I find it very hard to remember your real names - do you still keep a list of user-names and first names, Leighton? I would appreciate a copy.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 is one of my favorite lenses. Here is a snapshot portrait of a good friend of mine, a self-made ornithologist living in the village. @f/1.4.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7272/7006079715_97ef38d015_c.jpg
_DSC2709-Thinking out of the box by Count Basil, on Flickr

Great capture! He looks very well nested, in this photo! Please excuse my poor attempt at bird jokes! xD

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.3226 #5 · p.3226 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
It's about time you made an appearance! How the heck are you?

I'm alive Leighton... By God's grace I had two surgeries this past summer including as you may remember a hip replacement. Everything is well now but these things were changing a lot my life so nothing is like before. In the meantime I won a competition in Romania about Sigma lenses and the prize was a Sigma DP2 Merill. That's an unbelievable good camera for landscape, product photography but it's a tool that slows you down more than MF Nikkors and use a very poor battery. I never had in my hand something to produce so sharp and pleasant images... Everytime I use it I think at our friend John from Seattle. For his hiking adventures an investment in the three Sigma DP1 - DP2 - DP3 Merill could be more productive than anything else.

Apart of that I'm still looking at what great images are you producing here on this amazing thread but my limited time with MF Nikkors lately was an obstacle to contribute anymore... and due to my medical situation I failed to follow the thread for about 300 pages... Shame on me!

Keep doing the great job guys and be sure that someone in Dracula's land is watching you carefully! Maybe one day you'll see again some pictures from my part of the world.

BTW In the ol' good times I had a friend on this thread named Curtis... Is anyone remembering him?

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:59 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3226 #6 · p.3226 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
I'm alive Leighton... By God's grace I had two surgeries this past summer including as you may remember a hip replacement. Everything is well now but these things were changing a lot my life so nothing is like before. In the meantime I won a competition in Romania about Sigma lenses and the prize was a Sigma DP2 Merill. That's an unbelievable good camera for landscape, product photography but it's a tool that slows you down more than MF Nikkors and use a very poor battery. I never had in my hand something to produce so sharp and pleasant
...Show more

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I do so miss your photos. Hope to see you back in action soon!

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:14 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3226 #7 · p.3226 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
I'm alive Leighton... By God's grace I had two surgeries this past summer including as you may remember a hip replacement. Everything is well now but these things were changing a lot my life so nothing is like before. In the meantime I won a competition in Romania about Sigma lenses and the prize was a Sigma DP2 Merill. That's an unbelievable good camera for landscape, product photography but it's a tool that slows you down more than MF Nikkors and use a very poor battery. I never had in my hand something to produce so sharp and pleasant
...Show more

It's been a rough year for you my friend. I'm glad you're feeling better and congrats on the win and prize! I watched a video on the DP and it does produce some stunning images albeit hard to acquire. This Curtis fellow you speak of....who might this be?

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3226 #8 · p.3226 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Leighton beautiful fall colors and what a view!!!

Thanks Ray!

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3226 #9 · p.3226 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
This is looking South across the little valley from the farm. The little village of Middlebrook is just out of sight at the bottom of the image. Taken with the 180.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/10555664046_08cf487d88_c.jpg
across the valley/180/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Very nice Leighton. Love the crisp light.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3226 #10 · p.3226 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
It's no Ansel Adams

But it is in the place he seems to have loved

Merced River to Yosemite Falls in February.

50mm f1.4 on DCS660

Steve

Wow Steve! This is beautiful.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

paxnobiscum

p.3226 #11 · p.3226 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The Nikkor 20/2.8 AIS is another favorite lens. Here are two test shots @f/2.8 and MFD.

20110626-_DSC1968-2 by Count Basil, on Flickr

Truck driver in the local grocery shop

20110623-_DSC1896-Truckdriver by Count Basil, on Flickr

Thanks for the Excel sheet, Leighton. Now I only have to remember where I put the print-out.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.3226 #12 · p.3226 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
...Show more

Welcome back Mihai! So good to hear from you. Your presence on the thread is missed. So glad to hear your surgeries went well and that you are on the mend. Don't be a stranger.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3226 #13 · p.3226 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael, the cowboy-hat-shot is "wow" - can't cut this visual Gordian knot ;-) But I like this image a lot, it's a bit like a late 60's Album cover artwork.

Peter from Knysna, I like the jugs-shot. The boy in front of the drawing seems to be lost in thoughts. That's fine ;-)

Curtis, I see your love-story with the old pre-Ai-lenses is still in full bloom ;-) Most of the venerable Q- and QC-Nikkors over here are still non-Ai. Maybe the new DF-Nikon, which is supposed to be non-Ai-friendly, will make me finally try one of the old 135's.

Samy, I like the framing of your "fishing"-shot a lot.

Steve, cool angle of view on the Trans-America-building! Your Yosemite-image is wonderful.
Those early Kodak-DSLR's are strange creatures, I've handled a few, but my first DSLR was a Nikon D1. A fellow shooter got himself a DSC 3 - what a beast. He paid 30.000 Deutsche Mark for 1.3 Megapixels.

Jay, love the floral-bokeh with the 55/1.2! The 16mm-bird-image is funny, great idea!

Petur, the portrait of your friend is excellent in every way. The 35/1.4 is one of my favorites too, lots of of bokeh-temper in a very compact package.

Mihai, I'm really glad you're well. I've missed your fine images, hope you share some photographs and thoughts soon.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:44 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3226 #14 · p.3226 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A shot from yesterday noon, the first fall-storm was coming. A few hours later it was pretty wild, but we had no real damage in my neck of the woods.

Südwest von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Southwester - D700 + PC-E 45/2.8 tilted, effective aperture f/4

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:50 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3226 #15 · p.3226 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I know a very good photographer that has this issue so very badly. She gets so caught up in looking though the viewfinder that she forgets her framing almost entirely. I have seen so very many shots of hers that because of how far off her framing is, it cannot even be saved in post with a crop. She did this one portrait of a woman where the pose and look was perfect. She was trying to showcase the girls body, but the framing was so bad that it cut off the top of her had and most of the
...Show more

Messing up the framing or missing "ugly" details within the frame is one of my typical faults. Sometimes I concentrate too much on nailing focus or other stuff that I loose the overview about the final image.
I've shot a whole series with a friendly older gent in a display of his painting once and was really happy with the light, the posing, the expression and so on until I've noticed later that his flies were undone...

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3226 #16 · p.3226 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Greetings and Salutations my old cyber friends
Several months with no camera but 2 MF lens still to fondle
I recently purchased a D300 with a Katz eye focus screen and well I washed the grease off my hands and put it to my eye

Black is still my favorite car color all with 50 1.8 The katzeye works great and seems to be in sync with the focus confirm light but only half were were in good focus

Gotta love the "Bow Tie"

Reagan

Friends new purchase 66 vette 1 owner 427/4spd factory headers/sidepipes

getting ready for winter.time to start bringing out the cars

Gotta love black 396/4spd

Not my style but beautiful anyway

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:00 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3226 #17 · p.3226 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
I've shot a whole series with a friendly older gent in a display of his painting once and was really happy with the light, the posing, the expression and so on until I've noticed later that his flies were undone...

that is what "content aware" fill was invented for

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:00 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3226 #18 · p.3226 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Been too busy digitizing old slides and negs before they deteriorate too much, and I can't post any of those here (Canon AF mostly...)

Reasonably stored negatives and slides will last many decades. I have film from my parents parents that looks completely unaffected by age. My parents slides too are also as good as the day they were returned from the lab.

Cheap color film might show some aging, but if stored in the dark and in a dry environment, will still last a very long time.

Assuming your film has had quality processing of course.

That's my #1 hangup about digital. It is non archival. Data rot is relentless and so far, there is no cure. Backups are of no value as you end up copying the data rot onto your back up drives.

I wish the digital folks would work out a solution for this problem. Handing down family images is going to be pretty tough 50 years from now. Anyone know a hard drive that is 99% reliable after even 10 years?

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:51 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3226 #19 · p.3226 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Greetings and Salutations my old cyber friends

Gotta love the "Bow Tie"

That Chevelle is sick!

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3226 #20 · p.3226 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Reasonably stored negatives and slides will last many decades. I have film from my parents parents that looks completely unaffected by age. My parents slides too are also as good as the day they were returned from the lab.

Cheap color film might show some aging, but if stored in the dark and in a dry environment, will still last a very long time.

Assuming your film has had quality processing of course.

That's my #1 hangup about digital. It is non archival. Data rot is relentless and so far, there is no cure. Backups are of no value as you
...Show more

Good comment Tom. My slides have not lasted well at all despite being stored in the dark and in dry conditions for about 40 years. The majority were either Kodachrome or Ektachrome and were processed by Kodak labs (owned not franchised). The most distressing aspect has been the fading to a "light purple" cast. The Agfachrome slides are as bad.

The only negatives that look OK are some Panatomic and TriX that I processed myself at about that time and kept in full rolls in their original tins. These are still usable.

As for digital rot I think the real problem we have is that we keep far too many very ordinary images since it's easier to store them than to delete them. What we should do is to print the really good ones using decent inks on good paper and they will last for many years. Our kids can then scan them 20 years from now.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:25 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password