Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3214      
       3216              4188       4189       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3215 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^outstanding work with Velvia.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3215 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

Great story RM. What an interesting way to meet your future wife.

As far as printing...I somewhat agree with you but I think you can be just as equally satisfied in the digital age. I stopped printing at home because of the cost to get quality prints. I send all that I wish to print now to Mpix. They're cheap and fast. They also do quality work. John's idea about the photo books is another great idea. There's also blogging. My wife has a farm blog with hundreds of images from her and me in the posts. With over
...Show more

Hi Leighton, I did not mean to indicate that one could not get good prints digitally. I printed an enormous amount of my digital images when back in the US. I had boxes of ink coming to me from Amazon almost weekly! Nor did I mean that you have to print your own images to be satisfied. Obviously back then, I never printed my film images myself!

I just think that something is lost when so many images never get put down on paper, as my story above may have shown. (I just dont think my pen pal at the time would have held that photo so close to her heart had I just emailed it to her.) I do not discount blogging, showing our images here, or other on-screen ways. It just seems to me that the print has gotten the short end of the stick.

Do we even print 2% of our images now??

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3215 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Film is difficult in some areas, but exposure is not one of them (unless you shoot slide film). Negative film has an ENORMOUS amount of dynamic range, barely equaled today by digital. It is very very hard to blow highlights using film. So I would not worry too much about exposure. But you do have to be good in tricky situations since you have no instant feedback to let you know how you did. That's the hard part.

Film's a gas. I love the slow working of it all. Manual focus, manual exposure setting, manual film advance, it just doenst get slower than that. I love it.

saph wrote:
I guess we have to wait then to see that egret image RM

What I am amazed at is you and a few other folk using film. The digitial world has us spoiled rotten, I can't imagine taking a picture of an egret and getting the exposure right using film. But someday given enough time, I might just give film a shot.

BTW, I did insist on manual transmissions until a few years ago when I injured that particular knee and needed surgery. Its healed enough now that someday I may go back to the joy of shifting gears.

When I first
...Show more

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3215 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A fashion show during the heat of the summer, around 104 F this day. 24mm f/2 ais w/Kodak Ektar film

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3215 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
That's another good point that I meant to bring up. My wife and I review our printed photographs, kept in albums, now up to 6 very large volumes, but we never, ever, EVER review anything on the computer. I have 32,000 images on the computer and all the ever do is sit there, unlooked at. If it is not printed, in my household, it never gets looked at besides the first time it seems.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom - wonderful story and very illustrative of changing times too. I think (speaking as an old f**t) that those of us who grew up with film and went through the entire process of shooting, developing, enlarging and printing B&W's or finding decent labs that could properly process colour film tend to approach photography differently from the younger people who have fully embraced modern technology using any image capture device available.

I find the sharing via say, facebook, very refreshing as it keeps friends in touch visually as well as verbally but I don't have the inclination to show my life to the entire world.

I have happily moved from film to digital because I have no interest in wet processing and the lousy quality fo commercial processors where i live puts me off completely. However as in your case the downside is that my computer is full of images that i don't look at and those that should be deleted clutter up the space.

With good discipline I could make decent digital albums that could be viewed on my TV set where the result would be as satisfying, to me, as a conventional album but the key word is discipline.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3215 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tom, that's an interesting discussion you've started. Your story is almost Hollywood-stuff ;-) More seriously, I rarely print (or have printed) personal images. A really nice Leica-enlarger is collecting dust on the attic, I don't have the room to set it up properly now (hate temporary darkroom-solutions). Sometimes I fear I have lost the feel for proper B&W, too much play with digital files converted to monochrome with the fantastic SilverEfex-plugin.
Anyway, from time to time I have prints digitally done on "real photopaper" as gifts for friends and family. Sharing images online here or at flickr is a nice way to share my passion for photography with others from all over the world.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3215 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

Great story RM. What an interesting way to meet your future wife.

As far as printing...I somewhat agree with you but I think you can be just as equally satisfied in the digital age. I stopped printing at home because of the cost to get quality prints. I send all that I wish to print now to Mpix. They're cheap and fast. They also do quality work. John's idea about the photo books is another great idea. There's also blogging. My wife has a farm blog with hundreds of images from her and me in the posts. With over
...Show more
rattymouse wrote:
Hi Leighton, I did not mean to indicate that one could not get good prints digitally. I printed an enormous amount of my digital images when back in the US. I had boxes of ink coming to me from Amazon almost weekly! Nor did I mean that you have to print your own images to be satisfied. Obviously back then, I never printed my film images myself!

I just think that something is lost when so many images never get put down on paper, as my story above may have shown. (I just dont think my pen pal at the time
...Show more

I understand what you're saying and I think prints are very special. I also believe it meant much more to your wife than an emailed image. However, back in my film days I hardly ever paid for an enlargement, I mostly just got the standard 4x6 prints. They would just end up in the shoebox and hardly ever be looked at again. The only prints I have made today are LARGE ones worthy of the wall, all the rest I share on-line and enjoy sharing them with others, sort of hard to do if the 4x6 prints are stuffed in the closet somewhere. There's also something about seeing these digital files on a big 27' monitor.

This is a very interesting discussion, but it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Socalpicman
• •
p.3215 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Maybe we sensed you had money to burn JD.

This disease would solve that problem wouldn't it
I'm really enjoying the 28 2.8, hopefully will find the same enjoyment from a couple of the new lens's when they arrive.

With all the great shots of Wheat and Barley is making me want to do brew a batch of beer and I haven't done that for a few years now.
Great macro shots all, I have always appreciated looking at them for the great detail and skill it takes. I tried years ago in film but I didn't seem to have the skill. Will try again sometime with some of lens with macro I'm getting in and then I tubes also. With our dry climate I just need to find the bugs and interesting flowers.

JD

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:05 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3215 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the feedback folks! I sort of regretted posting my little story this morning, because it had nothing to do with Nikon manual focus lenses. It was a bit more philosophical than that, but I'm glad the reception has been positive. I appreciate the replies. Off to bed now!

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:26 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3215 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
vFilm's a gas. I love the slow working of it all. Manual focus, manual exposure setting, manual film advance, it just doenst get slower than that. I love it.

that slow thing has very little to do with film itself. the last time I shot film I carried two EOS 1n with booster and usually went through 20-30 rolls per day, all on aperture preferred auto with AF lenses set to AF half the time. With auto film reload with auto-rewind and automatic ISO recognition. Basically, only every 36 frames it was a few seconds of delay before I was back on the button.

It's really how you choose to use a tool. I spend far more time on each shot now than I did back in those days when time pressures forced you to fire off as many shots as you could to have something in the bag at the end of an event (no chimping on film = shoot more).

It seems that the more time I have for a shoot, the more I enjoy it. The setup and preparation of my recent fish tank shots for example were a great day of shooting, even though I only generated a dozen or so usable images - the whole process becomes the extended process of taking a photo. In a way, going on a 2 week hike with the camera turns the hike itself into part of the picture taking process, and at least for me it always is a good part of the reason for going.

The slowest camera I recall using was a 4x5 view camera in college when we had a studio assignment with it, had only 3 sheets of film, and needed to learn everything about perspective correction and depth of field in those three shots. 35mm film in a motor drive camera is a race car compared to that thing

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3215 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens-with-Front-and-Rear-Caps-Excellent/261273577641?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D888561673938714672%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D221270906074%26

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:22 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3215 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens/400561986267?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D888998237400646818%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D261273577641%26

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:50 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3215 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
One more ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens-with-Front-and-Rear-Caps-Excellent/261273577641?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D888561673938714672%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D221270906074%26

Ronny you should get this one so we can see pictures taken with it.. It is on sale, down from $99,000 to $94,500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-6mm-f-2-8-Nikkor-AI-Fisheye-Lens-VERY-RARE-/331004988399?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d116f4bef

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:56 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3215 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

sbarricklow wrote:
Salvia blossoms and Garlic Chives shot with a 50 to 135 mm zoom.

Very nice Sam. Nice saturated colors.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:09 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3215 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
Ronny you should get this one so we can see pictures taken with it.. It is on sale, down from $99,000 to $94,500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-6mm-f-2-8-Nikkor-AI-Fisheye-Lens-VERY-RARE-/331004988399?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d116f4bef

Oh my! That is a hunk of glass!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:29 PM
ZippZopp17

p.3215 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Peter Z, I don't see your reversed lens images, there's a message saying the images are copyrighted.

odd, i'll have to look into it. does anyone else have this issue? they are just jpg files sitting on my web server so i dont' know why it would say that.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:54 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3215 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Welcome David and a lovely photo to introduce yourself. Glad to have you aboard, but I have to warn you that these lenses are highly addictive

leighton w wrote:
Welcome David! Join right in to the conversation as well. I hope you guard your wallet!

davidthejr wrote:
Wow! Two people telling me to keep an eye on my money! Must be serious!
Thanks for the welcome and I'll be sure to keep my wallet close!

Socalpicman wrote:
No one gave me such a warning....

Too late now

JD

leighton w wrote:
Maybe we sensed you had money to burn JD.

Socalpicman wrote:
This disease would solve that problem wouldn't it
I'm really enjoying the 28 2.8, hopefully will find the same enjoyment from a couple of the new lens's when they arrive.

With all the great shots of Wheat and Barley is making me want to do brew a batch of beer and I haven't done that for a few years now.
Great macro shots all, I have always appreciated looking at them for the great detail and skill it takes. I tried years ago in film but I didn't seem to have the skill. Will
...Show more

When you start talking home brew, you're talking my language!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:57 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3215 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks! I sort of regretted posting my little story this morning, because it had nothing to do with Nikon manual focus lenses. It was a bit more philosophical than that, but I'm glad the reception has been positive. I appreciate the replies. Off to bed now!

No worries RM, that's one of the things that makes this thread special.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:58 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3215 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
that slow thing has very little to do with film itself. the last time I shot film I carried two EOS 1n with booster and usually went through 20-30 rolls per day, all on aperture preferred auto with AF lenses set to AF half the time. With auto film reload with auto-rewind and automatic ISO recognition. Basically, only every 36 frames it was a few seconds of delay before I was back on the button.

It's really how you choose to use a tool. I spend far more time on each shot now than I did back in those days
...Show more

The 55 f3.5 is a nice lens for fish tank shots. At least as long as the tanks and fish are either big or small enough. I used it for oscars and for shrimp photos a lot.

Used the 105 VR micro nikkor for everything else but it could have easily been replaced by the 105 f2.8 Ai-S without me noticing it.

I used a 4x5 Cambo for a while. Great camera and I always took 6 sheets of film with me. Those easily lasted 8-10 hours because there is a lot of setting up to do on a view camera.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:19 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3215 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

New big toy from my favorite used seller. Adorama! A really nice surprise was sitting in place of the normal UV filter. If you look at the pic close you will see it has a drop in CPL with the little thumb wheel to adjust. An impossible addition to find for one of these lenses. It is over 90% humidity here right now so test shots are not going to be very good but I took one off the deck from about 300ft away of the neighbors wildflowers. It is a 100% crop. Looks like it is pretty sharp.

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/125s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password