Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3210      
       3212              4304       4305       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3211 #1 · p.3211 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
There will always be some little dinky car sold with a manual gear box. There are cheap to make and I'll take a tiny econobox with a stick shift over any nicer car with an automatic trans.

after the combustion engine's demise, there won't be any gear boxes any longer. So "always" is relative here. An electric motor has no need for a transmission unless you need to go really really fast

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3211 #2 · p.3211 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Amazing story, absolutely amazing. You are living the dream. Very well done sir.

I agree. Thanks for sharing Leighton

Aug 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3211 #3 · p.3211 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
You may indeed ask. I quit my career at the power company in January 1997 after 20 years. We had the chance to move to the Valley to farm with the in-laws, so we sold everything and moved here the same month I quit. All I'll say about the move to the in-laws is that it didn't work out. One of the reasons we wanted to move in the first place was to bring me home to work and be with the family. Another factor was the pressures of Northern Virginia, commute, cost-of-living, ext...ext, not to mention the job.
...Show more

I recall the outline of the story Leighton from our earlier sharing of biographical information but here you flesh out some of the details. In many ways it sounds very simple and yet it was a profound change for all of you. Your daughters were young then so your responsibilities in providing for them were great. You and Barbara have a very strong partnership. That can make all the difference. I reflect on that as Sue and I consider leaving the bay area that has been home for forty plus years. No decisions have been made but we remain open to possibilities. You took a leap and then made it work. Hats off to you and yours...

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:34 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3211 #4 · p.3211 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Georg
Curtis really I like this one with the 20mm. I have noticed your photos are quite a bit brighter lately

Beautiful scenery Peter and the photos of your children are great

Chin the water in that canal is probably around 8-10 ft deep. It runs between the marsh area to the lake.

What a great story Leighton. It is that spirit that built this country. Too bad you don't see it very often in today's youth

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3211 #5 · p.3211 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
...Curtis: Looked at the photo before I read the text and thought youd traded your Acura (?) for a bike I like perspective shots so the last with the lane leading in to the retreat is very charming. Id opine that a smidgen of dodge and burn to make the trees a lil darker might work well to lead the eye into the end...

I was a young man when I owned a motorcycle. I've never forgotten the comment by a doctor who said it is never a question of WHETHER you'll have an accident while riding a motorcycle, but WHEN. I did training with the Zen Hospice Project in San Francisco and toward the end of the training we visited Laguna Honda hospital where the Project had a ward reserved for folks approaching the end of their lives. We were given a tour of the hospital which included a visit to a ward filled with people in persistent vegetative states. I asked how these folks came to be there and was told most of them had been involved in motorcycle accidents. These folks had not created advanced directives and so the hospital was unable to remove life support without family authorization. For some there were no family, for others the family members simply couldn't make a decision to terminate their loved one's life. No motorcycles for me. In fact, I'm going to eventually sell my bicycle...

With regard to the image, I have to smile at your suggestion since in Silver Efex Pro I increased brightness and reduced contrast before adding what they call "structure." Post processing is so much part of the creative element of image production and the possibilities are so wide ranging. You say "potah toe" and I say "potay toe"...

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3211 #6 · p.3211 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's an interesting observation Ray. There is no doubt that I increased exposure on that image which was taken in a shady spot along that dirt road. In fact, I did something I rarely do... adjusted white balance to make the image a touch warmer. Colors this time of year have become more muted with grasses going from gold to dull brown. As I've observed before and most folks on this thread know from their own experience, half the pleasure of creating images is working with them in post. Since I shoot RAW I have a rather wide range of possibilities to explore and doubtless each image reflects what I saw in the scene. I always strive for verisimilitude. That's the word for the day...

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3211 #7 · p.3211 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple of more photos from the store we visited in Point Reyes Station, taken with the 85 f/1.4 AI-s.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:01 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3211 #8 · p.3211 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Georg, Philippe, RM, Chin, Ray and Curtis.

Georg, to answer your question, yes. We only have 80 to 90 during part of the year. And this number goes down as we take the lambs to get them processed. We rotate pastures to give the grass time to come back which helps. Sheep are what they call "easy keepers", they can get by on very little forage. We also give them a little grain, but this is to make the meat mellow and to use as a control. They will follow us any where if we have a bucket in hand.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3211 #9 · p.3211 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Leighton, if I may ask, how many years has it been since you moved to the farm? I've never said it but I admire the courage taken to uproot and break free from the shackles of corporate life. Who amongst us has not thrown sheafs of paper in the air, toppled cases of pens onto the desk and shoved our boot into monitor saying I'm quitting all this and buying a farm? Who?

Heh hyperbole and self fantasy aside, I'm petrified thinking how I'd do outside. I've entertained thoughts of but as of now, they remain merely so. The modern life
...Show more
leighton w wrote:
You may indeed ask. I quit my career at the power company in January 1997 after 20 years. We had the chance to move to the Valley to farm with the in-laws, so we sold everything and moved here the same month I quit. All I'll say about the move to the in-laws is that it didn't work out. One of the reasons we wanted to move in the first place was to bring me home to work and be with the family. Another factor was the pressures of Northern Virginia, commute, cost-of-living, ext...ext, not to mention the job.
...Show more
CGrindahl wrote:
I recall the outline of the story Leighton from our earlier sharing of biographical information but here you flesh out some of the details. In many ways it sounds very simple and yet it was a profound change for all of you. Your daughters were young then so your responsibilities in providing for them were great. You and Barbara have a very strong partnership. That can make all the difference. I reflect on that as Sue and I consider leaving the bay area that has been home for forty plus years. No decisions have been made but we remain open
...Show more

Having a strong partnership is the key to all of it! I hope you and Sue get this all worked out soon, but I don't envy the move you may have to make. The only place I'm moving is to my reward!

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:09 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3211 #10 · p.3211 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I really like this one Curtis. This is the second one in the last day that drew me in to it.

+1 Curtis. Looks like a beautiful place to take a walk.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3211 #11 · p.3211 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
...Having a strong partnership is the key to all of it! I hope you and Sue get this all worked out soon, but I don't envy the move you may have to make. The only place I'm moving is to my reward!

Might that be a 135 f/2 AI-s?

Couldn't resist Leighton...

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3211 #12 · p.3211 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott. The Vedanta Retreat Center has close to 2,000 acres adjacent to Point Reyes National Seashore laced with trails and trees, in addition to pasture land that is used by a local rancher. It is about thirty five minutes from where I live, so it is a very easy place to visit. They offer facilities at no charge for folks who want to do a personal retreat, but only after one has met with the Swami in San Francisco. I've not done a retreat there but have on occasion used their library and often spend time on the land. This is one of three major retreat centers in Marin County, all of which I visited with Nikki this spring. Marin is a rather rare place to live since we're so close to a major metropolitan area while being surrounded by nature preserves and farm land. I'm not excited to be leaving if that is where this transition leads... But life has a way to taking us where it will. It is foolish to believe we're ultimately in control of our fate... In 12 Step parlance it is "meeting life on life's terms..."

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:01 PM
davidthejr

p.3211 #13 · p.3211 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hello all!!

A friend gave me a 50mm 1.8 series E lens a couple months ago, and after a couple weeks of stalking this thread, thought I would start posting a few of the shots i got with it!

C&C Welcome

20130824_0015 by davidthejr, on Flickr

Taken with a Nikon D90 and 50mm F1.8 Series E, at F1.8, 1/320, ISO 400.

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:15 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3211 #14 · p.3211 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Look at the detail in those brushes and the grain in the wood. Beautiful capture! The 85mm 1.4 is a wonderful lens Curtis and your photo proudly displays this

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:33 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3211 #15 · p.3211 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

davidthejr wrote:
Hello all!!

A friend gave me a 50mm 1.8 series E lens a couple months ago, and after a couple weeks of stalking this thread, thought I would start posting a few of the shots i got with it!

C&C Welcome

Taken with a Nikon D90 and 50mm F1.8 Series E, at F1.8, 1/320, ISO 400.

Welcome David and a lovely photo to introduce yourself. Glad to have you aboard, but I have to warn you that these lenses are highly addictive

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:35 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3211 #16 · p.3211 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, the pictured camera is a model (Smena SL, made in the Soviet Union) that was used here (read former East-Germany) quite often. They used fast-loading film-canisters, called "SL" for "Schnell-Lade Tageslicht-Kassette", the same film-canisters like Agfas Rapid-canisters.
A blast from the past, reminds childhood-memories ;-)

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3211 #17 · p.3211 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot everyone

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:51 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3211 #18 · p.3211 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank you Georg, Philippe, RM, Chin, Ray and Curtis.

Georg, to answer your question, yes. We only have 80 to 90 during part of the year. And this number goes down as we take the lambs to get them processed. We rotate pastures to give the grass time to come back which helps. Sheep are what they call "easy keepers", they can get by on very little forage. We also give them a little grain, but this is to make the meat mellow and to use as a control. They will follow us any where if we have a
...Show more

Leighton, thanks for the informations. The fruit-farm in my neighborhood has 17 hectares just for plums and about 180 hectares for apples. Large farms/ranches are typical for eastern Germany, while especially in south-west Germany many smaller farms exist.
I was under the impression that US-American farms and ranches were typical giant operations, planting sweetcorn, wheat and maybe oilseed-rape on very large areas. That's why my question, I'm glad that "smaller" farms still can successfully exist ;-)

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:54 PM
tzic

p.3211 #19 · p.3211 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot everyone

Amazing shots as always Ronny. With the first glance of the description I thought that this was the new Zeiss 135 apo lens! Well here' s one captured with the 28mm f/2.8 ais

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 by Nick @Flickr

Edited on Aug 27, 2013 at 06:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2013 at 05:58 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3211 #20 · p.3211 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, excellent flower-shots!

Nick, wow, great work with the 28/2.8! Is it the close-focusing ais-variant or did you use an extension-tube?

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password