Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3209      
       3211              3821       3822       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3210 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the kind words and comments. I had to tone down the reds and oranges to make sure they didnít blow out. They were that brilliant. Looks odd on my work computer screen though.
The sun was setting and receding quickly. Less than 10 seconds later, the red band was gone, disappeared into the atmosphere, up above the hills.
Probably the closest I'd come to the deadvlei in at least the next few years.
I had the 14-24mm on, and quickly switched to the 45mm to compress the mountains with the tree (and also to contribute to this thread of course), missing out on what would have been even more orange glow at the base of the hills. Wish I could have gone lower but I was already standing in a ditch for this.

Some background on the location:
Mt Ive Station is an old pastoral farmland form the 1800s
Located simply in the middle of nowhere, or to be exact, somewhere in the Australian Outback
Not a sheep could be seen however
Though I was told there are in excess of 50,000 head
Wandering free throughout the land, nibbling at what manages to break through the crust
Rounded up only for shearing, which happened
Barely two weeks prior to my arrival

Red rust dirt billows and gets everywhere
Flies travel in swarms, so thick they can form words and arrows ala Looney Tunes
We spoke to the incoming caretaker
Taking over the incumbent a beautiful blonde, Canadian
Who was leaving at the end of her work visa to get married

She said just the week before, flies were unheard of, unsighted
But moths by the thousands descended upon the homestead
Mountains were swept up daily from the communal kitchen floor
My bad I remarked for bringing the flies
The Good Earth says itíll be locusts nexts
Her eyes grew large as platters, we both laughed, the sounds almost grating in the silence

I planned our route to cut through the Gawler Ranges by 4WD to get here because I had an image in mind (the raison díetre of this shall be revealed when I get to it in the next couple of weeks!)
Rocks the size of my head littered the tracks
And made for a teeth-chattering ride and abrupt end to conversations
The chef in me always worried for the organic corn-fed free-range eggs in the backseat

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:40 AM
ZippZopp17

p.3210 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
MF lenses really are a joy to use. I have never stopped using the 55 micro but after discovering this thread and buying a 28mm Ai and the 105 P.C lenses I really am bitten by MFNAS.

Still though, when photographing dogs chasing across a field at speeds of 30 mph or faster I do grab my trusted 80-200 AF-D lens.

For most other subjects I could really do without AF and enjoy how small MF lenses can be.

i've really been enjoying the manual focus lenses as well, learning their strengths and weaknesses optically. it was a real challenge to use the manual focus lenses on my niece and nephew as they're young and move quite quickly. i certainly missed the focus quite a bit, but the challenge is fun and nailing a shot is that much more rewarding.

i also found myself missing some shots as well due to moving the focus ring while hitting the shutter in some of those challenging situations. in some instances depending on the shutter speed i'll get some desirable blur, but many times the shots just end up looking soft. it has been quite a learning experience over the past few months and i'm looking forward to shooting and learning more

Aug 27, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3210 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Lieutenant, I have been following these sets, very evocative. The gull seems to be keeping an eye over these never to be forgotten locales.

Thanks a lot, Samy, I am glad that you are interested in my Normandy pictures.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3210 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Buddy, but it isn't going to happen. I've drunk the Kool-Aid... The last time I had an AF lens mounted on my camera it took me a few moments to figure out how to use it. Three plus years shooting with MF lenses and I don't see myself going back. I won't sell my remained three AF lenses but honestly, I've no idea what it would take for me to mount one of them. Manual focus is just too enjoyable...

Sounds like me and manual transmission cars. I'll never, ever, EVER buy an automatic tranny car as long as I live.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:29 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Thanks Ray and Scott. I love these little things when the light hits them just right, they become small red light bulbs

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_0839.jpg

You're right, they do look like a little light bulb, I like it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:59 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks - Chin, Leighton, Ronny, Steven, Scott, Rattymouse, + anyone else I forgot. It was a productive photography trip AND my girls had a blast (they were not wanting to go at all and it was tough getting them up at 6:30am on a Sunday morning. . . .)

Here's a few more random ones. 45/2.8P and 16/3.5.

Ahh...must be someones bedroom door.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

We made our usual visit to the Vedanta Retreat Center and i grabbed a few photos with the recently arrived 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd.

It is both a retreat center and monastery occupied by a number of men who work on the ranch. And one shot taken with the 85 f/1.4 AI-s. This is the lane that leads to the retreat center. I'm peering back toward Highway 1 that runs along the California coast.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oPK2twaJXPA/UhwsfGeqmQI/AAAAAAAAWL0/yarzE_M_MBU/s1000/85.1.4.VedantaLane.jpg

I really like this one Curtis. This is the second one in the last day that drew me in to it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ZippZopp17 wrote:

here are a few I've processed from my recent time in new england. and a big thanks to raphael and peter for their help with the nippon kogaku 5cm on the d800, i'm loving the lens, it has some really great qualities to it

this is from the 5cm f/2 wide open
http://zopfx.com/pics/_DSC5818.jpg

35mm f1.4 @ f8
http://zopfx.com/pics/_DSC5998.jpg

Peter, very nice light in these two. And after all, that's what it's all about! Yes, shooting kids wide open with that lens CAN be challenging, but it can be done with practice. I used to shoot drag racing cars with MF back in the day.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3210 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi all - I've been keeping up with the thread but am not editing any of my images while I'm here. Simon's far too busy with his wedding work to let me loose on LR or CS4 and I'd have to learn how to use them anyway.

Rest assured I have enough images to find one or two to bore you with once I'm back in SA in a couple of weeks time.

In the meantime between golf games, grand children, birthday parties and magnificent Philly area weather I content myself by enjoying all the chat and images on this amazing thread

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3210 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, if I may ask, how many years has it been since you moved to the farm? I've never said it but I admire the courage taken to uproot and break free from the shackles of corporate life. Who amongst us has not thrown sheafs of paper in the air, toppled cases of pens onto the desk and shoved our boot into monitor saying I'm quitting all this and buying a farm? Who?

Heh hyperbole and self fantasy aside, I'm petrified thinking how I'd do outside. I've entertained thoughts of but as of now, they remain merely so. The modern life has made me soft. I can never do the work that you do. My utmost respect to you

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Hi all - I've been keeping up with the thread but am not editing any of my images while I'm here. Simon's far too busy with his wedding work to let me loose on LR or CS4 and I'd have to learn how to use them anyway.

Rest assured I have enough images to find one or two to bore you with once I'm back in SA in a couple of weeks time.

In the meantime between golf games, grand children, birthday parties and magnificent Philly area weather I content myself by enjoying all the chat and images on this amazing thread
...Show more

Glad you're enjoying your stay. Too bad you couldn't come south, maybe next time.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3210 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Leighton, if I may ask, how many years has it been since you moved to the farm? I've never said it but I admire the courage taken to uproot and break free from the shackles of corporate life. Who amongst us has not thrown sheafs of paper in the air, toppled cases of pens onto the desk and shoved our boot into monitor saying I'm quitting all this and buying a farm? Who?

Heh hyperbole and self fantasy aside, I'm petrified thinking how I'd do outside. I've entertained thoughts of but as of now, they remain merely so. The modern life
...Show more

You may indeed ask. I quit my career at the power company in January 1997 after 20 years. We had the chance to move to the Valley to farm with the in-laws, so we sold everything and moved here the same month I quit. All I'll say about the move to the in-laws is that it didn't work out. One of the reasons we wanted to move in the first place was to bring me home to work and be with the family. Another factor was the pressures of Northern Virginia, commute, cost-of-living, ext...ext, not to mention the job. We we're already farming on a small scale in NOVA, so we knew we could do it on a larger scale full time. Once we were asked to leave, we started the search for a small homestead to buy because we knew we couldn't go back again. The property we're on now was literally the last listing we had at the time to look at!

There was NOTHING on this 12 acres except the perimeter fence and the septic system. So I cashed in my 401K and took all of the other savings and built the house and barn. When it was all done we had 5 bucks in the bank! but I was home with the family and we were working together. We struggled in those early years, but I'm proud that we stuck it out and have become what we are today. We're not rich by any means, but we live a very simple life and are debt free. It's all what you're comfortable with.

I'll tell anyone that if they have that itch to change, then scratch it! I always figured that if worse came to worse, I could always go back to work with the power company, fortunately, I never had to take that option.

Sorry for my long winded answer.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3210 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very interesting story, Leighton! Respect! I wonder about the 12 acres - is this enough to keep the sheep or do you rent/lease additional land?

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3210 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Interesting Leighton.
Having changed my life several times already (with more than 10 moves) I have to say that I can't imagine another way of living. Life is too short to confine ourselves to only one life!

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3210 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Sounds like me and manual transmission cars. I'll never, ever, EVER buy an automatic tranny car as long as I live.

you'll be buying used cars like used lenses soon. Most cars and almost all trucks are moving to automatic. I managed to drive manual until 3 years ago when I needed a full size truck. Well, it's an auto I can manually control, but my left foot is now obsolete unless I begin to left-foot brake the thing Funny how an automatic transmission with manual override feels as bad and poorly designed as an AF lens turned to MF, cheap plastic action and poor control...

Even small cars will soon have 8-speed automatic transmissions to improve fuel economy. Nobody wants to shift an 8-speed manual on a little lawn mower engine anyway... We are doomed to drive vintage cars and use vintage lenses.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:26 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3210 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Peter: Iíve been loving the series youíve been posting. There was an excellent pano from a few pages back. The fork in the road, there are no signs Ö how do you know which one to take?

there is this ancient skill called map reading

Also, I know that trail better than my own back yard, having been there more than a dozen times, so I don't even think about those things any longer.

That shot was just a 20mm single frame, even though it looks like a pano

More 20mm shots - first a classic shot from Bodie this morning - seen them a hundred times, but has anyone else ever used the 20mm f/3.5 for these views before?

and from Nebraska a photo from "inside" a B25 Mitchel - all that was inside was my hands and camera, though openings in the fuselage. Turned out pretty well for a shot from the hip without view finder

trough the Perspex glass of the cockpit - had to go b+w because there was too much funky glare and various color light sources

outside the plane, shot from a tripod

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:38 PM
designdog
• •
p.3210 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
MF lenses really are a joy to use. I have never stopped using the 55 micro but after discovering this thread and buying a 28mm Ai and the 105 P.C lenses I really am bitten by MFNAS.

Still though, when photographing dogs chasing across a field at speeds of 30 mph or faster I do grab my trusted 80-200 AF-D lens.

For most other subjects I could really do without AF and enjoy how small MF lenses can be.

I also have the AF 105 VR micro, which does not get used very much. My fault. I find I really do not have the patience for macro work, and have been put off by the negative comments I have seen in using the lens as a short tele. Will have to try it out more.

My manual focus bug bite came at me kind of sideways. I had a Canon 7D with the requisite L zooms. Got a Fuji 100 and really enjoyed photography with a aperture switch on the lens, and the zoom on my feet. Experimented with an X Pro1, and bought some Nikon MF lenses for that. Next thing I know, I find myself on this forum, I have a D800, and about a dozen MF lenses! To cap it off, I just traded the cornerstone of the "grail," the 24-70 2.8G for two AI-s lenses.

I do still have several AF primes, and one AF zoom, the Tamron 70-300 - a must for visits to the zoo, etc. Think I have taken it out once...

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:52 PM
designdog
• •
p.3210 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
you'll be buying used cars like used lenses soon. Most cars and almost all trucks are moving to automatic. I managed to drive manual until 3 years ago when I needed a full size truck. Well, it's an auto I can manually control, but my left foot is now obsolete unless I begin to left-foot brake the thing Funny how an automatic transmission with manual override feels as bad and poorly designed as an AF lens turned to MF, cheap plastic action and poor control...

Even small cars will soon have 8-speed automatic transmissions to improve fuel economy.
...Show more

I was like that until I got my first Range Rover a few years back. Had BMWs and the occasional Porsche, all with manual transmissions. Now I am on my fourth VW Taureg, and my wife her fifth Bimmer, both with automatics. However, the newer automatics let you switch over to "manual" so you can flip through the gears, but without a clutch. helpful on mountains, but not much else...

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:56 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3210 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
You may indeed ask. I quit my career at the power company in January 1997 after 20 years. We had the chance to move to the Valley to farm with the in-laws, so we sold everything and moved here the same month I quit. All I'll say about the move to the in-laws is that it didn't work out. One of the reasons we wanted to move in the first place was to bring me home to work and be with the family. Another factor was the pressures of Northern Virginia, commute, cost-of-living, ext...ext, not to mention the job.
...Show more

Amazing story, absolutely amazing. You are living the dream. Very well done sir.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:56 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3210 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
I was like that until I got my first Range Rover a few years back. Had BMWs and the occasional Porsche, all with manual transmissions. Now I am on my fourth VW Taureg, and my wife her fifth Bimmer, both with automatics. However, the newer automatics let you switch over to "manual" so you can flip through the gears, but without a clutch. helpful on mountains, but not much else...

There will always be some little dinky car sold with a manual gear box. There are cheap to make and I'll take a tiny econobox with a stick shift over any nicer car with an automatic trans.

Aug 27, 2013 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password