Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3199      
       3201              3799       3800       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3200 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A little excitement at the Market this morning. All with the 28mm again.

I know this is out of focus, but I liked the colored bokeh balls.

28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

And one from inside the suspected building.

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3200 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Like the last one, Leighton.

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3200 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A heavy guns enthusiast, without a doubt.... -)

NIKON D700    50mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:13 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3200 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
A little excitement at the Market this morning. All with the 28mm again.

I know this is out of focus, but I liked the colored bokeh balls.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/9586136110_73ea3f977a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7441/9586136704_374b5667b3_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2833/9583346625_1f24d9a5e2_b.jpg

And one from inside the suspected building.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/9586137252_72dedd70e4_b.jpg

Nice series Leighton. I like the first and last images especially. Nothing serious to bring them to the market I hope?

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:35 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3200 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

Nice sun angle Philippe.

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:36 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3200 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Scott - Looks like that process work very well, I like it.

Thanks Leighton. I am looking for a way to shoot, process, and post without my laptop and Lightroom.

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:39 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3200 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Peter - fabulous. Maybe I can do something with my copy of that lens! Are you using a polarizer with these? If so, what kind?

Thanks.

+1
spectacular Peter.
The stitching produces uneven colour in the sky - with the dark spot in the centre. I get the same problem - wish there was a way round that. But the composition and the colours are amazing Peter.

ben

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:46 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3200 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Like the last one, Leighton.

+1

I like all of them Leighton - the last one's such a strong composition. I like the coloured balls too (except that lens doesn't produce round balls - never knew that) - I think that would have been stronger if something in the foreground had been in focus - but I guess you're stuck with what the location offered.

ben

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:48 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3200 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

very nice Phillippe - you really bring out the very best in that "humble" lens. I'm surprised at the f8 - it must have been very bright.
ben

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:51 PM
bruni
• • •
p.3200 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Ben got me hooked on the 55 f/1.2 quite some time ago. I first bought the last version of the lens, an AI. I mention that simply because if you want this focal length and speed, you can get it without having to worry about converting the aperture ring. The optical formula of the AI is the same as the pre-AI S.C. I did sell my AI lens to a person on this thread who hasn't posted in some time, then bought a very clean copy of the older S.C. lens that had the Nikon AI conversion kits already installed.
...Show more

Oh Ray, Ray - it's the 3rd birthday so I'll try and be respectful to our "father" - but what a crock!!

The 55mm ai versions may be the same optical formula as the SC version but they don't render the same and they do not offer the sheer pleasure in handling of the SC. I was a bit worried when I got the D800E that it would show up the limitations of some of these older lenses - but most of them hold up beautifully - the SC loves the D800E and vice versa.

Yes, OK, it would be great to have them converted using the original rings - but that is not possible for some of us. My local guy just shaves a bit from the aperture ring - I hate it, but it works and after a while you don't notice.

Buy one as soon as you see a good one. They are in short supply and, with time, will only get harder to find and more expensive. The only downside to this lens - as Curtis said, is that it is so beautiful it can become addictive, and before you know it, you've bought every pre-Ai lens in the collection - but you many not be like Curtis who seems to have unresolved compulsiveness issues.

ben

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3200 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ben, Ben I for one have four pre-AI lenses that are trimmed, alas no kits were available. I have a friend who manages a machine shop who trims them for me and powder coats the cut.
I love every one of them

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:10 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3200 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Ben, Ben I for one have four pre-AI lenses that are trimmed, alas no kits were available. I have a friend who manages a machine shop who trims them for me and powder coats the cut.
I love every one of them

Can you post a pic of one? Would love to see how it looks.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:13 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3200 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here ya go Kevin since I know you have one of these

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:18 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3200 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
+1
spectacular Peter.
The stitching produces uneven colour in the sky - with the dark spot in the centre. I get the same problem - wish there was a way round that. But the composition and the colours are amazing Peter.

ben

well the dark spot forms because the sky is darker there - just the way it is when you look 180 or more degrees along the skyline. The polarizer does intensify it, but I don't mind. That's where the sky is really really blue anyway. The second pano is uneven, because there's smoke from a big fire drifting in from the west.

If you go higher in elevation it turns almost black in those directions. The first pano of the series was taken at the highest elevation - 13,600 feet - while the others are about 12,000 feet. Only the lake is a "low" 10,500 feet, which is still 2 miles high.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:39 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3200 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Here ya go Kevin since I know you have one of these

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v65/p1306963158-4.jpg

Wow, looks very good! I didn't know you could powder coat a small area like the edge and leave the rest the original paint. How much does he charge?

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:52 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3200 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

here's another stitch - 10 vertical frames using the 20mm f/3.5 with heavy overlap. Polarizer used, so the north sky at 90 degrees to the sun is the dark blue area again, while the rest is a mess from the smoke coming up the valley from the west.

These things don't look so bad when you put them into a viewer like Photosynth, where the image rotates on the screen and you only see segments at a time. Link to the above image in Photosynth here

This skinny 360 degree pano made from 20mm horizontal frames for example gets quite viewable in that mode

To see it on Photosynth click here

Edited on Aug 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.3200 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott
Great shot Philippe Scott and Leighton

Girl on visit

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:56 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3200 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
some still warm off the presses panorama stitches, all with the 20mm f/3.5 AI on D600, handheld and processed in photoshop

Trail Crest at Mount Whitney, about a 270 degree view southwest to southeast
Link to Photosynth version

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/trail_crest_2013_panorama_web.jpg

Silver Pass on the Muir Trail, looking north at the Ritter range in the hazy blue distance (smoke from fires)

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/silver_pass_panorama_web.jpg

Looking back at the Tioga Pass area on Yosemite from Koip Peak at Yosemite's south-eastern corner

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/koip_tioga_panorama_web.jpg

same place just a little higher up to include Mono Lake on the right (the lake with island near the horizon), also more frames for more than 180 degrees

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/koip_parker_mono_pano_web.jpg

smaller stitch at
...Show more

These are just gorgous. Amazing landscapes and from one living amongst the teaming billions of Chinese people, amazing lack of people in those shots!!

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3200 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Couldn't agree more. This is a really fine capture Leighton. Love the composition and your choice to shoot wide open. Very inviting.

Let me chime in on the agreement festival. This is an outstanding shot and deserves to, nay demands to be printed big! Seriously, this is a very sellable image. Fantastic work.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3200 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Last night I attended a birthday celebration for a friend and spent a bit of time chatting with another friend, George, whom I've mentioned a number of times. His birthday gift to our mutual friend was a hot off the presses copy of the Sierra Club Engagement Calendar that features one of his photos on the cover...

A good time was had by all...

Just stop it will you! I have the 85mm f/2 lens and you are seriously pushing me to question my decision to go with that instead of the f/1.4. In other words, great portraits!

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password