Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3172      
       3174              3820       3821       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3173 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Tom, I like your set from the market a lot. How are the people in Shanghai reacting when they see at camera pointed at them?
Two more technical notes and/or questions: Ektar seems to handle the mixed lightsources really well, have to try this one sometimes (still have a lot of Reala's). You're known as a Fuji-fan here , is Kodaks offering so much better than Reala? Shot #3 looks like a typical example of the 50/1.2's field-curvature - the display of the scale is in focus as is the closer white net-covered bucket. This strange behavior drives me crazy
...Show more

Thank you.

Reala is a sweet, sweet film, that I loved to death. I only shot it in 120 size and did not know it would disappear. Had I known that, I would have bought hundreds of rolls for storage. I am only just getting started with Ektar film so really cannot compare well. I never shot Reala in 135 size.

Regarding people here, most don't notice me due to my technique. I tend to find a spot that I like and then just hang around for 15 mins or more. Once people get used to me standing there, they stop looking at me and go about their business. While waiting I get a better feel for the scene and when a moment pops up, I fire off a single shot. The composition has already been done a hundred times in my head while waiting for the moment, I have my exposure set already, sometimes even pre focused. Working this way allows for some pretty quick shooting.

Edited on Aug 18, 2013 at 07:42 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3173 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Locks Well, salmon fishing spot
The pickup truck up top said metal sheet works
Its occupants certainly not at work

283s to pour by Zichar, on Flickr

Aug 18, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.3173 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love it Chin !

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:10 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.3173 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

First of all, apologies for a very late reply. Im in the middle of moving to a new apartment and and were assembling furniture in the new place right now but do not yet have internet over there.

saph wrote:
Buddy, your macros with the 55 3.5 + PK-13 + PN-11 were superb. The working distance must have been in millimeters. Will have to try that on my 55 3.5 macro.

There was literally no working distance. The filter thread of the lens rubbed against the sewing machine that contained these gears. Careful placement and rearrangement of the sewing machine was my only means of focusing.

It is absolutely worth a try though. DoF is 2-3 millimeters even at f8 which gives you a lot of creative possibilities with even the most mundane objects.

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3173 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes RM, he was covered in chalk dust.

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:04 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Some shots from a Shanghai market. My 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens was mounted on my FM2 and loaded up with Kodak Ektar film.

This market is located in a rather rich part of town.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3821/9534445092_6627e04580_b.jpg

I really believe that some of our market customers would literally faint, if they saw one of our vendors doing this.

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:08 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John Hanon wrote:
Thanks... and it's first time posting here... first manual Nikkor lens too

Welcome John. Always good to see another MF enthusiasts!

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:09 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I love how this little superhero was standing at attention with his chest out, ready to defend us all. He was a cross between Batman, Superman and Spiderman (Spiderman flip-flops)!

50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:16 AM
bruni
• • •
p.3173 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Fantastic picture Leighton - I don't think it matters what lens is in your hands you have a knack for this photography thing (in case no one has told you that yet)

+1

very cute Leighton.

ben

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:52 AM
bruni
• • •
p.3173 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
impressive, Ronny!

+1

that first shot has a real 3D look to it - don't know how you do this Ronny (and the bee shot) - guess you were on the ground too.

ben

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zichar
• • • •
p.3173 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I really believe that some of our market customers would literally faint, if they saw one of our vendors doing this.

Eh? Don't they sell eel in your market? *cough cough*

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3173 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

curling in by Zichar, on Flickr

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

Zichar wrote:
Eh? Don't they sell eel in your market? *cough cough*

I wish, no seafood at all. We have a rule that states that ALL products MUST come from a 50 mile radius of the market.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3173 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/9538022476_ca3f553ce6_c.jpg
curling in by Zichar, on Flickr

Awesome shot!

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3173 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

This isn't even the worst of it. 10 meters or so away from this area is the chicken market. All the birds live, until you pick one and then it's days are over, all right in front of you.

Aug 18, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3173 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
This isn't even the worst of it. 10 meters or so away from this area is the chicken market. All the birds live, until you pick one and then it's days are over, all right in front of you.

That used to be how it is at the market in my hometown. It has since closed down from what I know. Put it in more ahem graphic detail; when I was a kid, I remember watching the woman pick one from the cage, slit its throat and put it in a metal drum and close the lid. The more it struggled, quicker it would expire, until its squawking grew softer and softer into silence. After that, a quick dunk into hot water then cold water to get rid of feathers. I'm surprised I'm not vegetarian

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

leighton w wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Zichar wrote:
That used to be how it is at the market in my hometown. It has since closed down from what I know. Put it in more ahem graphic detail; when I was a kid, I remember watching the woman pick one from the cage, slit its throat and put it in a metal drum and close the lid. The more it struggled, quicker it would expire, until its squawking grew softer and softer into silence. After that, a quick dunk into hot water then cold water to get rid of feathers. I'm surprised I'm not vegetarian

Well, we process chickens once a month here on the farm for sale at the market. They won't let us do it there. I don't think it should be done at the market, but I don't have a problem with cultures who practice it. Sometimes we Americans are TOO sterile. We have a customer that grew up in Shanghai buying chickens at the street markets and only buys fresh chickens from us on the weeks that we process. She swears she can tell the difference between fresh and frozen, I can't.

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3173 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Well, we process chickens once a month here on the farm for sale at the market. They won't let us do it there. I don't think it should be done at the market, but I don't have a problem with cultures who practice it. Sometimes we Americans are TOO sterile. We have a customer that grew up in Shanghai buying chickens at the street markets and only buys fresh chickens from us on the weeks that we process. She swears she can tell the difference between fresh and frozen, I can't.

True that, I'm also beginning to hear my friends' kids talk about how food originates from the supermarket... *shudder*
I can tell the difference with frozen, which kinda explains why I still make it a point to visit the wet market instead of the supers. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:59 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3173 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, the little hero is a great catch! He looks like he's going to fly a way, to fight whatever evil just crosses his path ;-)

Chin, "283s to pour" is an excellent picture.

Interesting and in parts funny debate about butchering at the market, btw. I tend to think that all people should have seen at least once how their future meal stops breathing.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3173 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton, the little hero is a great catch! He looks like he's going to fly a way, to fight whatever evil just crosses his path ;-)

Chin, "283s to pour" is an excellent picture.

Interesting and in parts funny debate about butchering at the market, btw. I tend to think that all people should have seen at least once how their future meal stops breathing.

Thank you Georg.

I agree... what Chin said about the child thinking their food comes from a supermarket is more common than you might think. Being on the front lines of food production for the last 15 years we've heard all kinds of ignorance being spread about. And not ONLY from children!

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password