Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3169      
       3171              4149       4150       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3170 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Look what arrived today. My "new" 105mm 2.5 P This lens is beautiful. Very little wear on the focus ring and the glass is perfect. This lens was in the first production of the new Guass design. I also have a 105mm 2.5P which was the last of the Sonnar design. Hopefully I will be able to compare the two.

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v107/p1823931273-4.jpg

Looks very nice Ray. I am envious.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:06 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3170 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Your sweetheart, I guess

Nice one Georg. That is quite a hat!

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:08 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3170 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Loic! I'm honored that we contributed to your MF adventure and that you've had success picking up what appears to be an wonderful kit. Anyone who buys the NOCT gets my attention...

Since you've been following this thread for some time, I don't need to encourage you to jump in.. you've done that and clearly understand how things are done around here... We share photos and talk about lenses... pretty simple really.

I'm delighted we have another person from Europe contributing to this thread. I'm sure Philippe will be happy to have another Frenchman but with Georg in Germany, Mark
...Show more

A warm welcome Loic. Looking forward to more of your work. As you have been following us for a while, you all ready know that some of the "ringleaders" around here will have your NMFAS in full swing!
Scott

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:24 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3170 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Went out to the tracks tonight. A few images taken with the 200 f4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:29 AM
DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3170 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, you make me want to go out and do some train benching. We don't have a lot of lines with consistent or predictable cars rolling through. Great shots, love the heat waves blasting out of the second.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:37 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.3170 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is the Fairmont, directly across the street from our apartment.

They had a pretty major fire recently, one whole corner of the roof caved in and 5 or 6 suites were totaled, the rest all had major smoke damage. Came in over a million dollars.

With us being on the 6th floor, and this building only being 4 stories, we had a pretty good view of the aftermath.

This man was assigned to protect the building, and to keep anyone from entering while the building was repaired. I'd imagine he was out there for 3 weeks or so. Never reading, never texting or talking on the phone. Just sitting and observing the world around him, keeping a close eye on anyone approaching his position.

He really didn't want me to take this picture. He initially got up and rushed toward me with his had in front of his face. It was a bit alarming. I reassured him and explained that I didn't wish to interrupt his duties, and would you please just sit back down and relax, I'm not a bad guy.

After a few attempts to take the photo, and a few times where he was half way getting up again, he finally settled in and even offered a slight smile.

55/1.2 S.C @ f2

DSC_7160 by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:49 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3170 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice Dylan... great story and wonderful photo. You could have gone BW but the bleakness of the scene contrasts nicely with the warmth of the door and the inside of the building. I imagine this fellow is very happy to have a job... even if if involves sitting all day with his eye on passing strangers... including those with camera in hand. You handled it very well.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:56 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3170 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice set Scott. The rail photo hits my sweet spot. Very well done with one of our favorite lenses, the 200 f/4. I really need to get out shooting...

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:57 AM
StonePhotog
• •
p.3170 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I finally had a chance to get out and take some shots this afternoon. I was mainly testing out a new AF lens, but I took along the 180 ais and snapped the following shots at a lake near work. Enjoy.

NIKON D300S    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/2.8    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D300S    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/2.8    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:05 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Before I catch up on the thread, I have a question for the experts. Can Nikon fix a lose focusing AIS lens? My 50mm f/1.2 AIS focuses in what I would say a loose way; the opposite of a stiff focusing lens. I would guess that a loose focusing lens needs more grease, which should be easy to apply. So I'm wondering if anyone has restored a lens this way. Should I call up Nikon and have this done to my 50mm f/1.2 lens? It would be perfect if it had a bit slower focus. I hope that this can be done.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DTOB
• • •
p.3170 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Very nice Dylan... great story and wonderful photo. You could have gone BW but the bleakness of the scene contrasts nicely with the warmth of the door and the inside of the building. I imagine this fellow is very happy to have a job... even if if involves sitting all day with his eye on passing strangers... including those with camera in hand. You handled it very well.

Thank you Curtis.

I'm not sure exactly why I didn't go B&W on this, but I'll offer a guess.

I think part of the reason is that I didn't want to lose him amongst all the other textures and patterns that make up the doorway. The photo was meant to be about him, and the job he took so seriously (on a pretty quiet street....most times). Him being in a black security guard outfit, I think he stands out better with it being in colour with, as you've mentioned, the warm light coming from inside.

I also really like the character of the old brick, even though it isn't prominent, and the wear patterns on the door framing. This building could tell some tales, of that I am positive.

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:27 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.3170 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Before I catch up on the thread, I have a question for the experts. Can Nikon fix a lose focusing AIS lens? My 50mm f/1.2 AIS focuses in what I would say a loose way; the opposite of a stiff focusing lens. I would guess that a loose focusing lens needs more grease, which should be easy to apply. So I'm wondering if anyone has restored a lens this way. Should I call up Nikon and have this done to my 50mm f/1.2 lens? It would be perfect if it had a bit slower focus. I hope that this can
...Show more

If it were mine, I would read up on doing it myself (or keep it loose...my 28/2 AIS is very quick and I think it feels perfect). If you aren't comfortable with home surgery, perhaps there is someone local? I've got a camera repair shop a short bike ride away, they are fantastic and are Nikon authorized.

In any event, the answer should be yes. Pretty sure there are different viscosity greases available that would change the feel of the lens dramatically.

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:31 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
If it were mine, I would read up on doing it myself (or keep it loose...my 28/2 AIS is very quick and I think it feels perfect). If you aren't comfortable with home surgery, perhaps there is someone local? I've got a camera repair shop a short bike ride away, they are fantastic and are Nikon authorized.

In any event, the answer should be yes. Pretty sure there are different viscosity greases available that would change the feel of the lens dramatically.

I dont think I should do it myself. There is a Nikon service center close to my house as well as several camera repair shops. I am guessing it should be pretty easy to re-grease a lens. Mine is so loose that I feel my focusing accuracy suffers. The shutter on my S5 fires hard enough to move the focus ring!! I think it is better on my FM2 but I still would like it less loose.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:04 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/9528284978_087f121b5c_b.jpg
DSC_7160 by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

Very nice portrait! And excellent work getting the shot!

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:06 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful train shots mp! Really well done. I can almost hear their horns blowing.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:07 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Lovely Chuong.

Awesome clarity!

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:07 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

24mm 2.8 AIS
http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p1830028713-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v103/p1819709976-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v87/p1830937296-5.jpg

I LOVE the use of the fence in the 1st and 3rd shot. Great perspective.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:11 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot everyone

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 Ai-s
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/9523906887_b692b7ff5c_b.jpg
D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Dang but that's sharp!

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3170 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

85mm f/2.0 AIS lens w/ Kodak Ektar film in my FM2.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.3170 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks

Great shot James,Chuong, Ratty, Scott and Ray

Aug 17, 2013 at 07:59 AM
1       2       3              3169