Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3168      
       3170              3790       3791       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3169 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
The barber in the next unit does my hair when it grows .... there's not much left now !!

This is he taking a break.

Using the 85mm f1.4 @ f8

Steve

I like this portrait Steve, would like to see it in B&W.

Glad I made you laugh.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
loic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3169 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Leighton!

Second post...Second try with the doll...

taken with D800, 28mm 2.8 AIs

Edited on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3169 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Barbara working in the background, while I mug for the camera.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5326/9526684750_71209514eb_b.jpg
28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Love this one , it gave me a very big smile!

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.3169 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3169 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip what a story and I am glad to see it is not forgotten
Georg love the "hat lady"
Ronny beautiful landscape and flowers.
Steve the guitarist you really captured!

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3169 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

24mm 2.8 AIS

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM
designdog
• •
p.3169 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
The barber in the next unit does my hair when it grows .... there's not much left now !!

This is he taking a break.

Using the 85mm f1.4 @ f8

Steve

Steve:

Since I just spent a ton of money on a 85 1.4 AI-s, it soothes me to see such an excellent portrait here. I will be posting some of mine next week, when my lenses arrive.

Very nice!

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.3169 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shooting everyone!

Quick gearhead question for anyone who cares to chime in: I shoot with a d300s that I consider a great camera, but it's been mentioned a few times that I might enjoy the "brighter" viewfinder of an FX camera such as the d700 or d800. Given my choice of subjects - small birds, BIFs (eventually, when I get some time...), potentially some sports this fall, is there an FX recommendation between the two aforementioned cameras? I'm not considering the d600, as it just doesn't feel right in my hands (I have large hands). I had originally thought that the d700 would be a good choice - I can share grips and brackets with it and the d300s, file size doesn't get out of hand - but given that there's not a huge difference in price between used copies of the d700 and d800, the d800 is starting to look tempting to me. Or should I just be patient and see if Nikon releases another FX camera this fall?

I know I can read reviews all night long, but I thought I'd throw it out to the MF crowd for some real-world reviews.

Thanks (in advance)!

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM
designdog
• •
p.3169 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I had the D700, and now the D800. The D800 is a much better camera in many ways, but possibly not better for the strict Nikon MF shooter. Let me explain.

First, the act of shooting with MF lenses on the D800 is not really different. The viewfinder looks the same, although the specs have it a mite larger. The green dot is still there, and the view through the VF is very similar.

I confess that I scoffed the warnings re the D800, but found them to be true. The extra resolution, while creating fantastic images, comes at a price. I set my shutter speed to a minimum of 1/125, to get more keepers. Even though I have 18TB of storage, I am shocked at how the D800 eats hard drives. And it is not unusual for me to be working on a 500MB layered image in Photoshop. I have a very fast iMac, maxed out in memory, and it is somewhat taxed.

These lenses are so good I have not come across a situation where one looks worse from the D800 than the D700, even though Nikon seems concerned about it. If anything, I have found the converse to be true. To me, the 50 1.2 and 180 2.8, for example, actually seem better on the D800.

I really liked my D700. I sold a complete Fuji X Pro1 kit to get the D800. It's the one for me...

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3169 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
Great shooting everyone!

Quick gearhead question for anyone who cares to chime in: I shoot with a d300s that I consider a great camera, but it's been mentioned a few times that I might enjoy the "brighter" viewfinder of an FX camera such as the d700 or d800. Given my choice of subjects - small birds, BIFs (eventually, when I get some time...), potentially some sports this fall, is there an FX recommendation between the two aforementioned cameras? I'm not considering the d600, as it just doesn't feel right in my hands (I have large hands). I had originally thought
...Show more

Jay, I've never used the D800, but have shot a lot of sports with the D700. As much as I like Nikon's 12MP-FX-offerings I think for small birds and similar subjects (wildlife and sports are similar demanding in my opinion) the generous cropping-abilities of the D800 might be advantageous. I did some wild "up-rezzing" with the D700's files and this works amazingly well for really sharp, just a bit too distant shots, but starting with a larger file would have worked much better.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Markus
• • • •
p.3169 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the hat lady, Georg.
Nice work with the 24mm ais, Ray

Couple new ones here..

200mm f4 ais micro

these two are with the 35mm f1.4 ais

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3169 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Loic, welcome! You have a great arsenal of fine lenses, hopefully we'll see some more of your work here soon!

Ray, I like your framing of #1 and #2.

Leighton, very cool mug ;-)

Ronny, good job with your new 28/2.8! I'm amazed how fast you've made this lens work so well for you.

Steve, the second fender-shot is excellent! Thanks a bunch for the "naughytical"-comment. I have to save this term for future use, it might fit quite often for my kind of stuff

Samy, the blue flower is very nicely captured.

James, I like the cat in B&W a lot.

Thanks for the comments on the fancy lady - a real street-photographer would have had a blast at the racing-event.
Ladies with hats had free entry at the race today and there was a contest for the most delightful outfit. I've shot some snaps on film too, hopefully the expired Agfa APX will turn out nicely...

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM
StonePhotog
• •
p.3169 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the cat shots James.

George and David, thanks for the quick replies!

I confess that I scoffed the warnings re the D800, but found them to be true. The extra resolution, while creating fantastic images, comes at a price. I set my shutter speed to a minimum of 1/125, to get more keepers. Even though I have 18TB of storage, I am shocked at how the D800 eats hard drives. And it is not unusual for me to be working on a 500MB layered image in Photoshop. I have a very fast iMac, maxed out in memory, and it is somewhat taxed.

This is definitely a concern of mine and is one of the reasons why I lean against getting a d800. But I do like the ability to crop, and crop heavily, because it's the only way to make small birds a little less small! This is also where I notice the limitations of the d300s's 12MP sensor, as I quite often find myself cropping heavily and sometimes the resolution of the resulting image is disappointing. Maybe I should be looking into an 800mm lens instead! Manual focus, of course.

And wow, 18TB of storage is impressive.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:20 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.3169 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, It was done with SEP. After all you folks started posting really good SEP conversions...I went and checked out the latest versions by Nik. To be honest I had a case of sticker shock. I couldn't see paying that much for a plugin. Then I found an offer for the whole set for the price of one...adding a coupon code further reduced it. I've always liked the u-point technology, but the first version in Nikon Capture NX v1.2x would barely run on the hardware of the day. I really like silver effects pro v2, and color effects pro v4, but viveza v2 is da bomb.

I shot this in the studio today. Phoebe is a rescued kitten - pulled from under a deck at 3 weeks of age at the end of June. (no mother to be found) I shot this with the 85mm f1.8 afd. LINK HERE btw she loves this bucket.

Edited on Aug 17, 2013 at 01:36 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:25 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3169 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

loic wrote:
Hi everyone !

Ive been reading this thread for 6 months now and joined this forum just to thank you :
- First of all, the father, the boss, the creator : Curtis - Im sure he will like this !
- But all the others too : Monty, Philippe, Leighton, Ben, Scott, Georg, Chuong, Don, Ron But just how many are you?

Through this thread, I discovered fantastic pictures, learned know-hows, stole ideas, fell in love with Nikkis fantastic adventure... But must of all, you helped me rediscovering and buying MF glasses !
So thank you for infecting me with your
...Show more

Welcome Loic! I'm honored that we contributed to your MF adventure and that you've had success picking up what appears to be an wonderful kit. Anyone who buys the NOCT gets my attention...

Since you've been following this thread for some time, I don't need to encourage you to jump in.. you've done that and clearly understand how things are done around here... We share photos and talk about lenses... pretty simple really.

I'm delighted we have another person from Europe contributing to this thread. I'm sure Philippe will be happy to have another Frenchman but with Georg in Germany, Mark and Roland in Switzerland, Ronny in Sweden and eventually Rinie from Rotterdam, you'll have plenty of company on that side of the world. The thread seems to be active most of the day but time differences do happen and having more folks in Europe will give everyone additional folks with whom to chat.

So welcome and enjoy yourself. This is a very easy place to hang out. Have fun!

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:36 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3169 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I had to smile when the box carrying my most recent acquisition arrived... the 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd that came from Chuong. The box had obviously been used before and I'm quite certain it carried a different lens to Chuong's door. I have quite a few boxes set aside, but don't ever seem inclined to sell anything...

I admire folks who are able to thin their kit, but it certainly isn't me.

The lens is beautiful and I have to say, that is the easiest acquisition I've made since I began playing with these lenses. Ordinarily I'd be searching high and low for the best condition lens of whatever version I was seeking. This lens is rather rare and frankly, I haven't seen too many at a price I felt I could afford come on the market. And here is Chuong deciding to let go of a lens he sought out and bought. Thanks Chuong.

This weekend I'll take a photo of the pre-AI lenses in my kit and I'll put the 20 to work. I know from what Chuong has posted using this lens that it is up to the task. I'll do my best...

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:42 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.3169 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, does the "I'll put the 20 to work" quote mean that you need the 20's angle of view to capture the whole family of your pre-Ai-lenses on a single frame?

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:47 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3169 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Curtis, does the "I'll put the 20 to work" quote mean that you need the 20's angle of view to capture the whole family of your pre-Ai-lenses on a single frame?

You KNOW Georg that I wouldn't dream of using that lens when it will be featured with the rest of the family when I take that photo. The REAL problem, is that I now has so many pre-AI lenses I don't have a cabinet large enough to display them side by side...

Don't worry, I have another 20mm lens, the very fine f/2.8 AI-s, but I generally take these photos with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s. At f/2 it reaches critical sharpness in the focal plane, so all I have to do is position myself correctly

And Georg, what are doing up so late? Inquiring minds want to know what a fine upstanding German male would be doing at 4 a.m.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:55 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3169 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thank you Jim!

Now Scott... BTW, B's P7700 stopped working, had to send it back

Sorry about the jab Leighton, but I could not resist. Too bad about the P7700.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:02 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3169 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
I felt obligated to use my 300mm f4.5 this morning. This one with the TC-14B

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_0169.jpg

Lovely Chuong.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:03 AM
1       2       3              3168      
       3170              3790       3791       end