Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3112      
       3114              4041       4042       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3113 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Kevin, I only shoot manual mode when lighting is low or the focal length long enough that the shutter speed can't handle it when I'm shooting hand held. That sometimes happens when shooting with tubes that in themselves diminish the light reaching the sensor. I certainly wouldn't be doing it in bright light because without metering I wouldn't know how fast to make the shutter speed. Remember that your camera can't go below ISO 100, so if the shutter speed you select isn't fast enough to deal with bright ambient light the image has to be overexposed. Auto ISO is
...Show more
Thanks for the input. That's essentially what I did, but outdoors. I set shutter at 1/500 to cover all the lenses I had with me (28-200 total). I used matrix and center weighted metering and I think I had something messed up the first time. Haven't pulled the shots off the camera, but the viewfinder looks ok.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:36 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3113 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
They say good images tell a story, this one certainly does.

+ 100!

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:49 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3113 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
With Dean showing up I'd note that the 50 f/1.2 AI-s is one of his favorite lenses. He actually bought one brand new from a shop in Hong Kong. Sadly, we don't have the ability to go directly to photos or I'd direct you, Tom, to a couple of his wide open shots of trolleys. I love those shots. I'm with Dean completely, your film work definitely adds something special to this thread.

How much longer will you be in China? And when are we going to see some photos of your family? What kind of school do your children attend
...Show more

Again, thanks for the kind words, which inspire me to get out even more and shoot.

I'm afraid that I do portraits of my family mostly with my medium format camera. I typically buy Fujifilm 160NS for pics of my kids since it's colors are geared for skin tones. (I shot about half a dozen pics of my kids yesterday as they were dressed up for a piano recital). For my Nikon FM2, I buy Kodak Ektar film for color which is a bit on the heavy side for portrait work. I'll search the archives and see if there are any monochromes from my Nikon.

We are in China on an open ended commitment. We are probably here at least until the end of 2014. We homeschool our kids as the international schools are about $25,000 per year. That is no lie, it is that expensive.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:52 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3113 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Don't be sorry, I love moments I can break out the popcorn. Personally, I loved this post. I love that vintage look, one of the reasons I pick the lenses I use. Whenever you want to add me to your will, be much obliged.

That is a superb photo! The motion blur of the flywheel is just excellent! I love the classic look this lens gives and think it would be excellent on a film camera.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:54 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3113 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Anyone know why sometimes my text comes out tiny like in the post above? I hate that but dont k now how to stop it.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:55 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3113 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
I really like this one, not bad for a first try.

Bert

+1
I would say excellent for a first try!

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:57 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3113 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

I went out to the Circle Bar Ranch today to take some photos. Usually I take my 300mm to look for birds and gators, but today I was armed with my D600, tripod and 24mm 2.8 AIS. I wanted to take some shots of the marsh land that is so beautiful and prevalent here. So I mounted my camera on my tripod and off I went

The Stream
http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v115/p1858596039-5.jpg

The Marsh
http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v79/p1817237046-5.jpg

This fellow was starting off on the levee trail that runs between the marsh and the stream.

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v111/p1658665480-5.jpg

Ray, stunning images. Did you use some kind of tonal conrast or are these HDRs ?

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:04 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3113 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Not much work this week with camera and lenses, only some quick photos.

And one with the 35 1.4 N, also with the PK-11A:
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/sa_maryland_fotofun/Flowers/Marigold_zps69534503.jpg

It deserves another look!

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3113 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Again, thanks for the kind words, which inspire me to get out even more and shoot.

I'm afraid that I do portraits of my family mostly with my medium format camera. I typically buy Fujifilm 160NS for pics of my kids since it's colors are geared for skin tones. (I shot about half a dozen pics of my kids yesterday as they were dressed up for a piano recital). For my Nikon FM2, I buy Kodak Ektar film for color which is a bit on the heavy side for portrait work. I'll search the archives and see if there are any
...Show more

Wow! That ain't cheap for sure, though Marin Academy in San Rafael costs $37,430 a year... Hardly surprising the number of Mercedes, BMWs and Range Rovers driven by students who attend that school.

Home schooling makes sense to me. That will certainly keep your wife busy. A close friend has a son with an I.Q. off the charts who is being home schooled at the moment. There are quite a few resources available to support home schooling, now being delivered via the Web. You have the added benefit of living in a different culture which doubtless gives your children many opportunities, simply be rambling about town with you and your wife. And someone must be taking piano lessons. Wonderful.

Well, we'll get to enjoy your take on Shanghai for some time. I'm really delighted by that. I love your work Tom.

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3113 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Ray, stunning images. Did you use some kind of tonal conrast or are these HDRs ?

I was wondering at the treatment of the second image which seems to have received quite a bit of work when compared with the other two. I don't know if it is HDR or simply the hard work necessary to handle difficult lighting. I'm curious as well...

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3113 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Don't be sorry, I love moments I can break out the popcorn. Personally, I loved this post. I love that vintage look, one of the reasons I pick the lenses I use. Whenever you want to add me to your will, be much obliged.

That is a superb photo! The motion blur of the flywheel is just excellent! I love the classic look this lens gives and think it would be excellent on a film camera.

Were I shooting film I'd definitely be checking out these older lenses. That said, I believe the FM2 requires an AI lens. I guess you'd need an earlier camera to mount these older pre-AI lenses without conversion. I guess that shouldn't be a problem for someone shooting film. I know little about these early cameras however and won't likely head that direction myself... But the lenses sure are enticing.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:05 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.3113 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We homeschool our kids as the international schools are about $25,000 per year. That is no lie, it is that expensive.

The private schools in Baltimore are close to the same cost, starting in 1st grade and continuing on up through high school. We have one of the worst public school systems in the country, so this is the cost of sending your kid to a good school. It's also one of the reasons my wife and I are looking into moving out of the city when our first child arrives.

Back on the topic of manual focus lenses, here's a few shots I took with the 50 f2 over the 4th of July weekend (yes, I'm that far behind sorting and PPing my pictures). The first shows the interesting - IMO - bokeh this lens renders, while the final two are some shots inside an antique store. I hope you enjoy them.

Bokeh!

NIKON D300S    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

This just feels antique to me

NIKON D300S    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/13s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

The loyal guard dog

NIKON D300S    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/200s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:31 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3113 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Wow! That ain't cheap for sure, though Marin Academy in San Rafael costs $37,430 a year... Hardly surprising the number of Mercedes, BMWs and Range Rovers driven by students who attend that school.

Home schooling makes sense to me. That will certainly keep your wife busy. A close friend has a son with an I.Q. off the charts who is being home schooled at the moment. There are quite a few resources available to support home schooling, now being delivered via the Web. You have the added benefit of living in a different culture which doubtless gives your children many
...Show more

The difference here is that ALL the international schools are $25k and up. There are no cheap options that are valid. And a local school is not in the cards, although my kids are 100% fluent in Chinese. The work load that they put on the kids here is beyond insane. 3rd graders study harder than I did in university!

My kids are tutored in piano, swimming and art, all in Chinese. It is my greatest happiness to see them so bilingual. Not only that, my son can read and write Chinese.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:47 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3113 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another temple visit, this time to the Jade Buddha Temple in north Shanghai. You won't see any shots of the actual jade Buddha as they do not allow pictures in that part of the temple. So here are some images from the main areas where photography is allowed.

I believe all shots are made using my 24mm f/2.0 AIS lens, with some using Fuji 400H film and the rest Kodak Ektar. The more saturated ones are with the Kodak film.

I really love the close focusing ability of these Nikons.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:51 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3113 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few notables from today's excursion... First set is with the Nikkor-H.C. Auto 28mm f/3.5

_DSC9433 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC9439 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC9453 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

There was a "Color Run" in Sacramento today, caught a few people after the race. Very high ISO @ 6400

_DSC9481 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:55 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3113 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am relatively new to lightroom so I am not sure what tonal contrast is. I do know that hdr is combining 2 -3 photos to form one. I didn't use that technique. Here is the original which was taken using a ND4 and a Nikon Circular Polarizer on a tripod at F11 1/160 In Lightroom 4, I used auto WB and auto in basic. Then I hit the punch preset and sharpen scene preset. In tone curve I set Highlights to -67 Lights to -11 Darks to +24 and shadows to -7. Under color: green is - sat -16, lum -27 and blue is Sat +7 and lum -40

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:56 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3113 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Next set is with my most used lens, the Series E 50mm f/1.8

Wanted this one to look like an old newspaper clipping. My wife loves Superman.

_DSC9460 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

This was inspired by our resident still life lover, a.RodriguezPix

_DSC9464 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Added a Close-Up #1 to get close...

_DSC9406 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:58 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3113 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Next set is with my most used lens, the Series E 50mm f/1.8

Wanted this one to look like an old newspaper clipping. My wife loves Superman.

[

This was inspired by our resident still life lover, a.RodriguezPix

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9432911226_0455b4e392_b.jpg
_DSC9464 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

this is nice! they look really cool!

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:22 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3113 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Inspired by Ray and Americo's recent work, here's another one from the tripod brigade.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/54/844354.jpg

Love it!

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:32 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.3113 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

SEP B&W from Circle Bar Ranch

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v80/p1680742941-5.jpg

Ray, fantastic sky. Looks like a red filter.

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password