Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3111      
       3113              3806       3807       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3112 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, this is just for you.

I hear you like a cute pretty blonde.

Well, this young lady had just taken a picture on her phone of her iced coffee from a famous coffee outlet.

Go figure !!!

Anyway more 180mm inspiration for you

180mm @f4 ISO320 1/5000th

Steve

Stokesey 2013

It was in my hand a moment ago !!

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:49 AM
deang001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3112 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
50mm f/1.2 AIS with Ektar 100 film.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/9427985866_be8e1dd038_b.jpg

Very nice, RM ... love them both, but first one especially.

Looks like the barber chained the guy getting a hair cut to the fence !! Nice reflection in the mirror. Great shot.

Such a treat to have you ... a hardcore film guy ... posting regularly.

Aug 03, 2013 at 12:13 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3112 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Very nice, RM ... love them both, but first one especially.

Looks like the barber chained the guy getting a hair cut to the fence !! Nice reflection in the mirror. Great shot.

Such a treat to have you ... a hardcore film guy ... posting regularly.

Thank you Dean. You are too kind with your words.

I didnt notice that chain and now that you pointed it out, that's hilarious!

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3112 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/9425214859_ea30a5b2f9_b.jpg

Oh yeah... bokeh play at its best. Love this. Doubtless you'll have great fun with that lens in Shanghai.

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3112 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

With Dean showing up I'd note that the 50 f/1.2 AI-s is one of his favorite lenses. He actually bought one brand new from a shop in Hong Kong. Sadly, we don't have the ability to go directly to photos or I'd direct you, Tom, to a couple of his wide open shots of trolleys. I love those shots. I'm with Dean completely, your film work definitely adds something special to this thread.

How much longer will you be in China? And when are we going to see some photos of your family? What kind of school do your children attend and what does your wife do with her time while you're at work and the children are at school? As you can tell, I'm a pretty nosey guy...

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3112 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the bird photos Steve and am curious what kind of tripod you use. With Ray's recent investment I'm once again toying with the idea of adding a tripod to my kit. I'm loathe to spend Gitzo money but if I buy a tripod I want one I can rely on for a long time.

And yes, the photo of that young woman is well done. I love the fact she is taking photos with her iPhone as you take yours with the D700 and a hefty lens attached. My partner Sue is visiting her family in Florida and a few days back she sent the first photo of herself taken with her iPhone. The iPhone had been a gift from a friend, who gave me one as well. Mine is sitting in a cabinet with a dead battery. Sue was using hers as a pay as you go phone until this trip. She decided to sign up for a data plan so she could retrieve emails while traveling, leaving her MacBook Pro at home. She was caught in the rain while walking on the beach with her cousin and decided to take their photo with her phone. She doesn't own a camera and wouldn't have used it even if she had it with her. Smart phones make it easy for folks to grab a photo and instantly share it. That's not something that interests me but I understand how for a great many people it simply works. It is no wonder that the most used camera on Flickr is the iPhone... In fact, three models of the iPhone are at the top of the most used list the 4s, 5 and 4.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:11 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3112 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Rafael - excellent series - I just love the Beetle!

Peter, it is a Buick bent into Beetle shape by the 16mm!

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:49 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3112 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Was hoping you all could help me figure something out. I know some of you like to set your aperture and shutter to a specific value then let your camera pick ISO. I have tried to do that, but I keep getting images where the camera picks the highest ISO nearly all the time, leaving many shots over exposed. Can't figure out why.

On the auto ISO settings, min value is 100, max is 3200. Min shutter speed I have set to 1/500. I am wondering if this is where I am getting mixed up.

Can anyone help get this sorted? Curtis, I believe you shoot this way sometimes...?

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:12 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3112 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's how I shoot. Do you have exposure compensation set? You can push the ISO around with that.

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:16 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3112 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Also, do you have it set to spot metering? With perhaps the focus point over something relatively dark in the frame?

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DTOB
• • •
p.3112 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another with the 55/1.2 @ 1.2:

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3112 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Typically I spot meter, but in this exercise I was center weighting it. EV was set to -0.3. I tried about 30 shots of different subjects an all except one were completely white (the one that wasn't was still wildly overexposed). All subjects were flowers in bright light down to shade.

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:24 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3112 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hmm, how about just simple shots around the house in even lighting?

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:34 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3112 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Today I should be in mostly harsh light, but even. Will try again. My settings look ok though?

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:51 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3112 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Settings seem OK. I would try it in a controlled environment. Like I say, around the house.

Aug 03, 2013 at 06:57 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.3112 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

I can't believe you're shooting in color. This is sacrilege.

kwoodard wrote:
Typically I spot meter, but in this exercise I was center weighting it. EV was set to -0.3. I tried about 30 shots of different subjects an all except one were completely white (the one that wasn't was still wildly overexposed). All subjects were flowers in bright light down to shade.

Careful with spot metering. On non-CPU lenses spot metering will only use the center focus point.

As for me, I added a new Nikon branded lens to my stable -- a 20/4 AI.

I definitely need to play around with it a bit more. The corners improve dramatically through /11 and my 58mm polarizer vignettes quite heavily on it. But... it's so small.

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2013 at 08:21 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3112 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So the 13.5 cm came in, with a polarizer filter, a shade, caps. I turned out to be in excellent condition, particularly the glass, very clean. Will not be able to use it yet because it is the no-screws in the bayonet mount type, cannot be converted without cutting, which I will do.

It was $19.95 plus $6 shipping.

nikon nikkor nkj 13.5 cm taken with 55mm 3.5 D3 side by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor nkj 13.5 cm taken with 55mm 3.5 D3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The interesting part is that it came with a perfect Nippon Kogaku front cap, these are very hard to find in this condition, mostly because the platic around the chrome buttons is very weak and most are broken.

This cap made a perfect partner to the 1959 5.8cm 1.4, the only lens I bought to collect, here it is next to a newer 50mm 1.4 sc, correct period filters and caps:

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4s 50mm 1.4 sc D3 with 55mm 3.5 micro front side by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The top caps!

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4s 50mm 1.4 sc D3 with 55mm 3.5 micro front cap by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Back caps

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4s 50mm 1.4 sc D3 with 55mm 3.5 micro back cap by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Back lens, note the 5.8 cm has no screws.

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4s 50mm 1.4 sc D3 with 55mm 3.5 micro back by Rafael CA, on Flickr

and the front

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4s 50mm 1.4 sc D3 with 55mm 3.5 micro front by Rafael CA, on Flickr

As I have shown before, the 5.8cm does create sharp but antique looking images.

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 Nik Kodachrome Vista gas and steam D800 Titan IH tractor by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Sorry for the long post.

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2013 at 08:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3112 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You do know how to get a person excited Rafael with those lens photos. How sweet it is!

I doubt I'll get into the older lenses that require machining of the aperture ring but I certainly love to look at them. And what a great price. You are a serious collector Rafael, though like me you shoot with the lenses rather than simply displaying them. Gorgeous!

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3112 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I only shoot manual mode when lighting is low or the focal length long enough that the shutter speed can't handle it when I'm shooting hand held. That sometimes happens when shooting with tubes that in themselves diminish the light reaching the sensor. I certainly wouldn't be doing it in bright light because without metering I wouldn't know how fast to make the shutter speed. Remember that your camera can't go below ISO 100, so if the shutter speed you select isn't fast enough to deal with bright ambient light the image has to be overexposed. Auto ISO is really only useful in lowlight situations.

And as observed, remember that spot metering will only work with these MF lenses when you use the center focusing point. I tend to use spot metering when light is the brightest simply so I don't blow out details in an image. That can create problems when focusing on a dark subject with a light background, but high key lighting has its own charm when done well.

I'm with Dylan, that the best place to test out Auto ISO is inside with even light. 1/500th of a second is hardly necessary for any but your longest glass and I don't think you'd choose to use the Tamron 500 f/8 for inside photography. Try it with your 50 f/1.8 and set the shutter speed to 1/60th or 1/80th of a second with Auto ISO engaged. That will give you a clear indication if anything is wrong with your camera. You can set the aperture where you will.

Good luck.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:27 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3112 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
So the 13.5 cm came in, with a polarizer filter, a shade, caps. I turned out to be in excellent condition, particularly the glass, very clean. Will not be able to use it yet because it is the no-screws in the bayonet mount type, cannot be converted without cutting, which I will do.

It was $19.95 plus $6 shipping.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9431804418_fbe71699bf_b.jpg
nikon nikkor nkj 13.5 cm taken with 55mm 3.5 D3 side by Rafael CA, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/9431804578_ea72ba971d_b.jpg
nikon nikkor nkj 13.5 cm taken with 55mm 3.5 D3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The interesting part is that it came with a perfect Nippon Kogaku front cap,
...Show more

Don't be sorry, I love moments I can break out the popcorn. Personally, I loved this post. I love that vintage look, one of the reasons I pick the lenses I use. Whenever you want to add me to your will, be much obliged.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password