Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3099      
       3101              4178       4179       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3100 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

LR5 is an excellent raw editor whose strength is in file management: getting photos in, basic processing, printing, uploading social networking, etc. with each iteration Adobe enhances the editing features. LR5's best new feature is the assorted image leveling controls in the lens setting. Really works well.

But LR does not do layers, and that is the disconnect for me. Sure, you can get close with the brush tool, but features such as blending modes, real masks, luminosity masking, smart filters, content aware edits, etc. are not in Lightroom. The list goes on.

On the other hand, Bridge has not been improved in years, and is pretty lame as a photo file manager. I almost hate to say it, but one could work quite well in a Lightroom only environment, but struggle in a Photoshop only situation, due to poor file management. Your editing options would be well diminished, but you could get by. I shudder to think of that though, as I will remain in CC as long as I continue to get those retirement checks...

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:49 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.3100 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I stopped in Mill Valley a couple of weeks ago and as i walked through a pedestrian area I saw five people sitting at an outside table, all in heavy winter gear. I asked if they live in California and when they said yes, I said..."go figure..." It was hot in San Anselmo that day.

Curtis, with all due respect, I'm not sure that you even know what "heavy winter gear" is.

I'd like to see how you'd fare in weather like this:

Edited on Jul 31, 2013 at 01:58 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:54 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3100 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
We have a saying Tom... if you don't like the weather, wait three days or drive ten miles... It can be in the high 80's in San Anselmo where I live but head down to the water near the Golden Gate bridge and it will be in the sixties. It was Mark Twain who said "the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco..." And that is the truth. The city can be fogged in for weeks at a time and everyone is wearing heavy clothes.

I stopped in Mill Valley a couple of weeks ago and as
...Show more

The humidity here is far worse than the temperature. I dont check it very often but it is usually 70% or higher. In the morning, I wait for a company van to bring me to work. I'm outside all of 10 mins or so. These days the humidity is so high that my shirt has huge, massive sweat stains from standing outside all of 10 mins. Just standing there! The locals bring towels and actually are toweling off while waiting for their ride! While out walking last week my arms were so wet, it was like I dipped them into a pool of water all the way up to my shoulder; sweat pouring down my arms in streams. My wife had a towel and I dried down a bit and no more than 5 mins later and I was covered in water again. Absolutely horrible humidity here. And winter time is not much better. I am used to cold dry Chicago winters. Here it gets cold and stays humid!! What a horrible combo.

Those are the conditions when I'm out doing my weekly walk with my FM2. I force myself to go out otherwise I am inside all week going crazy. I suffer for my craft!

Last weekend I went to the Shanghai Insect Market, where older men buy all kinds of singing insects A fascinating place usually VERY crowded with all kinds of buying and selling. This weekend it was virtually EMPTY due to the massive heat/humidity. A shame as I was hoping for some good shots. There was a vendor selling tiny, baby squirrels. One squirrel, just a few weeks old, was lying on his back, looking dead. It wasnt dead but it was wiped out by the heat....it looked hilarious. I'm not sure if my shots of this will come out because focusing on him was really tough being behind a cage. We'll see. A few more days of waiting. That's the film life.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:58 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3100 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Curtis, with all due respect, I'm not sure that you even know what "heavy winter gear" is.

Edit: Actually, I recall Curtis saying he spent a lot of time in Minnesota. That's cold weather country for sure.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:59 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.3100 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So I've been playing a bit with SilverFX based on some of the posters in this thread. I just grabbed a random photo that I'm sure I haven't posted here yet and went to town.

Not sure if heavy handed or not. Actually I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't care. I like it anyways. I think I'll be buying this.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:02 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.3100 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:

Edit: Actually, I recall Curtis saying he spent a lot of time in Minnesota. That's cold weather country for sure.

Oh it is "cold". Not as cold, but close. But that was years ago, the bitter wind is but a distant memory.

Curtis, come up for a visit some time in February. It'll be a blast (of freezing cold air in your face).

*edit* I should mention that that was the HIGH that day.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:03 AM
mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3100 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
I am in Switzerland (we say Suisse here) with the family.

Very nice Philippe. Definitely a place that I would like to visit.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:48 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.3100 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2856/9357708448_b7c71cdd6f_b.jpg
a.Rollei.Brujo-518 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

This has a lovely quality about it. Nicely captured.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:50 AM
telaviv

p.3100 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great post!

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:58 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3100 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
This has a lovely quality about it. Nicely captured.

Thank you very much! The awesome Nikkor 85mm 1.5 AIS deserves the credit! Happy photography! -Americo.rodriguez

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3100 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not nearly as nice as Dylans or Curtis's B&Ws but here is my try after being prodded by Leighton
D600 24mm 2.8 AIS, F16, 3 secs with nd8 filter

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:06 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3100 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, lovely shots from Suisse / der Schweiz / Svizzera - or if you want to be very old fashioned - Confoederatio Helvetica (CH). I hope you have as nice a time as I did in France.

Kevin, if you want, have a look at:
http://photographylife.com/reviews/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5
Details some of the new stuff in LR5. As far as I can tell, unless you do a lot of work with layers in PS you can get away with LR5 for almost everything else.

Americo, nice shot of the flowers and nice tripod purchase.

Great B&W shots Dylan and Ray and Leighton.

Curtis, you seem to be on a roll at the moment. Pretty blonds are always welcome and of course your excellent scenes from out and about.

Ratty / Scott - Let me know when you guys are coming over!

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:19 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3100 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Hi Mark, this is Scott (not Ray). I agree the fence is a tad stronger in the first image, but once my eye is drawn to the horizon, I prefer the straightened version. So my preference is the straightened version. Great image either way.
Scott

Eeek. I am very sorry Scott (and Ray) to get your name muddled up! But thanks for the valuable feedback. Always useful to get some constructive advise and a different perspective.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:32 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3100 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is another attempt at processing!

a.Rollei.Brujo-9 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo-16 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo-23 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:37 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3100 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Americo, nice shot of the flowers and nice tripod purchase.

Mark, Thank you very much! I love this darn thing, and now I kmow what I've been missing all these years! This tripod is awesome, so I some any tripod can be as well, since I never owned one!! I can't wait to try out more ideas! Thanks again, and as long as books are written, Happy photography!

-Americo.rodriguez 10/02/1976

Nota Bene, Happy Birthday Ms. Emily Jane Brontė 30 July 1818,
and thank you for...Wuthering Heights!!

a.Rollei.Brujo-10 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo-11 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3100 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stokesey wrote:
Just a quick one as a taster taken yesterday on the railway station in Manchester UK, guy using his folding bike as a seat.

Using the 180mm at f2.8 ISO400 at 1/500 and cropped

c&c welcome

Stokesey

Great shot Steve. Welcome to the thread.

I look forward to some more of your work - the lens collection is terrific.

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3100 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Peter - how dare you compare me to Curtis? As an enabler he's in a class of his own.

Easy, even Lucifer has followers.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3100 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm a sucker for a pretty blonde... Taken at the water's edge in Sausalito with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF on a monopod.

Nice images Curtis - the things you'll do to get Reagan back on the thread

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.3100 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - your venture into the ND world is very rewarding but will probably cost me money!!

Phillippe - I'll be in the Chamonix MOnt Blanc area in 5 weeks and if I can get any shots like yours I'll be thrilled

Dylan - why on earth would anyone live in Winnipeg? That's coooooold man! The Silver Efex conversion is very nice.

Americo - lovely daisies

Leighton - It looks as if that guy could sleep on a barbed wire fence!

Jay - nice shots and bad luck with the boiler.

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:32 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3100 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Not nearly as nice as Dylans or Curtis's B&Ws but here is my try after being prodded by Leighton
D600 24mm 2.8 AIS, F16, 3 secs with nd8 filter

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v77/p1676592354-5.jpg

The tonal range of this image makes it an absolute winner in my book!

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password