Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3098      
       3100              4144       4145       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3099 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow....I want to go to Switzerland now.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3099 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have a question for you all. I have been happy with CS5.5 and have been using it for a while. At work I occasionally get to use CS6 and have enjoyed that as well. I am trying to streamline my workflow and have been considering Lightroom 5. What are your thoughts? Anything better in one over the other? I know a few photographers that have gone from Lightroom to Photoshop/ACR and others that have gone the reverse. I am leaning towards staying with what I know, but it would be very nice to have the current toys available in Lightroom 5. I don't see myself buying into the Creative Cloud, doesn't make financial sense to me at this time.

As an aside, I mentioned earlier NCR, I was thinking about Nikon's Capture NX or ViewNX...

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:37 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3099 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Being a market vendor can be tiring work. This young boy comes with his older sister every week, and every week he takes a nap early in the morning.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3099 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
I have a question for you all. I have been happy with CS5.5 and have been using it for a while. At work I occasionally get to use CS6 and have enjoyed that as well. I am trying to streamline my workflow and have been considering Lightroom 5. What are your thoughts? Anything better in one over the other? I know a few photographers that have gone from Lightroom to Photoshop/ACR and others that have gone the reverse. I am leaning towards staying with what I know, but it would be very nice to have the current toys available in
...Show more

This is just me, but I HATE Nikon's software. The UI just doesn't make sense to me. I used to use Elements in conjunction with LR4, but since LR5 came out I don't anymore. LR5 has everything I need once they made the improved spot removal tool. The UI is very easy to get used to and you can do tons of stuff with it as far as organizing and work flow. If LR ever goes to the cloud, I'll have to follow it because I just couldn't live with out any more.

One more thing, there are LOTS of tutorials on YouTube and there's a couple I follow all the time. Gavin Hoey, and Serge Ramelli.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:51 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3099 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, pretty sure you can download a free 30 day trial. Give it a shot, process everything in LR for a month and I bet you don't look back.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3099 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Kevin, pretty sure you can download a free 30 day trial. Give it a shot, process everything in LR for a month and I bet you don't look back.

I knew Leighton was a fan of Lightroom 5, so I expected him to promote it.

So Dylan, you use Lightroom as well? Why do you like it over Photoshop?

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3099 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

LR and PS are two totally different types of programs. They are not replacements for each other.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3099 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I liked CS5, but I wish I had never updated to CS6, as I find the new interface too tedious to work with. I've found very little reason use to use CS5/CS6 at all since LR4 came along, and am now contemplating the upgrade to LR5 once they get the bugs worked out (there should be an update out next week).

I needed to reinstall NX2 to be able to set WB with my IR-converted D700, and what an ordeal that was... Nikon would't let me just reinstall my current version, I had to go all the way back to the original and sequentially reinstall every update they made in the past ~5 years...

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3099 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
LR and PS are two totally different types of programs. They are not replacements for each other.

I know they are different, but the ACR and final editing I usually do is very close to LR. I still have CS5.5, so anything I would need to do outside of LR, I still could.

molson wrote:
I liked CS5, but I wish I had never updated to CS6, as I find the new interface too tedious to work with. I've found very little reason use to use CS5/CS6 at all since LR4 came along, and am now contemplating the upgrade to LR5 once they get the bugs worked out (there should be an update out next week).

I needed to reinstall NX2 to be able to set WB with my IR-converted D700, and what an ordeal that was... Nikon would't let me just reinstall my current version, I had to go all the way back to the
...Show more

Having had to work with both CS5.5 and CS6 for work, I can go back and forth without a whole lot of issues. What kind of issues has LR5 had? Anything that I need to be aware of? Sucks that you had to do all the incremental updates with NX2...

I think that is one of the issues that Windows OS has, all those updates and its easy for a little bit to go wonky and make your OS go slow. (which is what I am dealing with now. Windows 7 SP1 made my computer super slow. Launching Chrome for the first time after boot up on a fresh install of the OS takes 30 seconds... I tried a few tweaks I found online and have that down to 11 seconds. Without SP1, it launches as soon as I release my mouse from clicking on its icon.)

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3099 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I swear, I will try more subjects in the future, but for now...

a.Rollei.Brujo-4 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3099 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more with the Nikon D800, Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, and Vanguard tripod. i used LR4 and a preset, plus i lowered some numbers to look less bright. thank you! bad background use though!

a.Rollei.Brujo-8 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3099 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
What kind of issues has LR5 had? Anything that I need to be aware of?

I haven't had any issues with LR5 other than it seems to take longer for the thumbnails to show images while importing images.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.3099 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

I haven't had photoshop installed in ages. I can't even remember what version I have or where the disks are.

I pretty much only use LR 4.4. What's up with 5? Worth upgrading?

I just downloaded the 14 day trial of SilverFX. We'll see, I may just buy it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3099 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A second attempt at post processing of this image that I've posted before:

Rankin Ridge, Wind Cave National Park, South Dakota

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3099 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin, I own CS6, the entire suite including Photoshop but I work primarily in Lightroom 4 and Silver Efex Pro 2. Yesterday after a brief exchange with Leighton I upgraded to LR 5. Fortunately, I have access to CS products through a non-profit for which I volunteer and for which I do graphics work, and the price is so low I can hardly afford not to own it. But were I paying full price, I'd probably use Lightroom exclusively. The product has improved with each new version and I expect even better results with 5. It is definitely worth your time to download a copy and take it for a spin. I think you'll be impressed.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:03 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3099 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm a sucker for a pretty blonde... Taken at the water's edge in Sausalito with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF on a monopod.

These folks were taking photos too...

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3099 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And this is how the wealthy among us spend time on the Bay...

Perhaps this belongs to an owner of a sailboat in the America's Cup race, or just a sailing fan, or one of the billionaires who call the Bay Area home... visiting Sausalito for the day.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:17 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3099 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
A second attempt at post processing of this image that I've posted before:

Rankin Ridge, Wind Cave National Park, South Dakota

Wow, that's beautiful. Really fine work there. Hard for me to remember but back when i first got into photography, I shot landscapes almost exclusively. Now I rarely do that since I am often trapped in an urban environment.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:35 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.3099 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, your two photos above (the blonde and the two taking pictures) make me laugh a bit. Here in Shanghai, we are in the midst of the hottest summer in 140 years here. Breaking 100F is no big deal here as we do it nearly every day, week after week. In your photos, people are wearing jackets!! In late July no less!!!

I dream of such low temperatures.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:37 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3099 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We have a saying Tom... if you don't like the weather, wait three days or drive ten miles... It can be in the high 80's in San Anselmo where I live but head down to the water near the Golden Gate bridge and it will be in the sixties. It was Mark Twain who said "the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco..." And that is the truth. The city can be fogged in for weeks at a time and everyone is wearing heavy clothes.

I stopped in Mill Valley a couple of weeks ago and as i walked through a pedestrian area I saw five people sitting at an outside table, all in heavy winter gear. I asked if they live in California and when they said yes, I said..."go figure..." It was hot in San Anselmo that day.

I would surely not do well in the climate as you describe it Tom. Dry heat might be doable, but when the humidity rises, I melt...

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password