Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3081      
       3083              4048       4049       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3082 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Leighton(Tom), Laura and Curtis
Alex that's an interesting shot
Tom it is so nice to view your part of the world.
Mark I really love the tunnel shot it reminds me a little of a NG photo called Tunnel of Love, Ukraine
Kevin thanks for the comments. Yes I think I am going to enjoy my tripod. Macro is not my thing but for panos and fireworks it is a must.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:47 PM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3082 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Then Day 3. The weather was much better on Day 3 and I took the morning to go to an "old castle" that was interesting because it was surrounded by marshlands with lots of birds as told by the bird reserve administrator from yesterday.
The castle also was interesting by being (a) 14th Century (b) very big and well restored and (c) by being the winter home for the Dukes of Burgundy (these guys didn't go for small and pokey). These bits the bird guy failed to mention.

So these are all from the 24mm except the last which was 180mm.

Just a small castle

Storm clouds did threaten

the 180mm as a landscape lens again

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:30 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Beautiful shots Mark. I love the first one especially, not to mention the stained glass. Nicely done and what scenery for a vacation!!!

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3082 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, stopping down as you've done when using the tripod yields incredible depth of field and excellent sharpness. These images with wide lenses, the 24 ad 35, are really quite brilliant. I see the advantage. I tend to shoot at f/8 when doing landscape work not so much because of shutter speed but in the belief that is a sweet spot for sharpness. Clearly, one can't generalize about these lenses so experimenting with stopping down further, which becomes possible with a tripod, is a worthy thing to do. And, of course, some shots can only be done with a tripod. I'm thinking about shooting moving water at a shutter speed the captures the sense of flow. Keep em coming. I may yet be motivated to buy a tripod...

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:41 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3082 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Amazing Mark to see sunlight coming from Switzerland. What a difference it makes in bringing aliveness to a photo. I'm definitely enjoying what you are sharing at the moment.

Enjoy your visitors.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:42 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3082 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Ray, stopping down as you've done when using the tripod yields incredible depth of field and excellent sharpness. These images with wide lenses, the 24 ad 35, are really quite brilliant. I see the advantage. I tend to shoot at f/8 when doing landscape work not so much because of shutter speed but in the belief that is a sweet spot for sharpness. Clearly, one can't generalize about these lenses so experimenting with stopping down further, which becomes possible with a tripod, is a worthy thing to do. And, of course, some shots can only be done with a tripod.
...Show more

I can help you with that Curtis. I have a set of legs and a 3-way head that I am going to be selling soon. I don't need two nearly identical setups.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:43 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave me at F11 Here are a few shots that I particularly liked.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:03 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3082 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray and Curtis for your comments.

The real draw of the third day in France (and the holiday) for me was the final of the Junior (Under 20's) Rugby World Cup. I was there expecting there to be the final of NZ vs South Africa, but things don't always go according to plan and both the 'baby blacks' and the 'baby bokka' got knocked out in the Semi-finals by England and Wales respectively.
I luckily still got to see them play, but only in the 3rd / 4th playoff.

I took the 180mm, unfortunately not the best seats for some good photos, but the 180mm did it's usual stellar job.

What was great was watching these young men and the passion they had for the game and the sheer un-bridled joy at playing as well as their respect for the match officials and each other. There are many sportsmen from any code that could learn about what sport means from these lads.

The Haka

In the final Wales scored first

But England fought back

Full-time. le 'rosbif' win

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:07 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3082 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave
...Show more

Ray, these are very nice, love the last one especially. The colour is so vibrant. Is that SOOC or did you boost the green in PP?

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:09 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3082 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok, this is it I promise, the last set from me for a while. Last set from Quiberon day 3 (only one more day & night to go, don't worry)

Back home in the evening. Sun going down, off for a walk around the coast, 24mm in hand & 180+ 50mm in the pocket. How good can life be.

The waves coming in to the shore

The two guys in the photo were going surfing

NIKON D4    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/8.0    1/500s    200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Someone racing the sun to harbor.

NIKON D4    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    400 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.3082 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Getting in ahead of the weekend rush.

Sorry for the large number, but family coming tomorrow from NZ so it may be my last time to post for a while (I'll still be reading and enjoying everyones contributions though).

Anyway, away from the brief detour to ol' Blighty and back to the wonders of that magnificent country of France.

Still on Day 2, The day finally cleared up near the end of the day. In my new (dry) shoes I went around the coast to a bird reserve where I had a good chat to the site administrator and then actually took
...Show more

Nice, it has a very painterly look to it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:25 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3082 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave
...Show more
These are all beautiful Ray, but this one is REALLY nice! That 35 really is sharp when stopped done. I expect the tripod helped a little too. Your post work is exceptional as well.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:28 PM
raboof
• • •
p.3082 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark - Nice castle shots.
Ray - Love those shots from your 35mm f1.4

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:28 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

They are processed through lightroom 4 but I didn't boost the green color. I did use the auto color feature which did seem to get the green a boost. I actually considered lowering the luminance on the green but then decided I liked it. It was a very overcast day that followed a night of heavy rain. You know what that does to the color green. The rain held off long enough for me to get these shots.

Great shots of the rugby match. Nicely captured!

Thank you Leighton. The tripod made the shot as I used 1/8 at F11
Thank you Chuong. The 35mm 1.4 continues to amaze me

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:31 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3082 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have to "thank" you Mr Ray... Tonight I am going to swap heads on my tripod and go shoot some railway action in the morning. I live within a mile of the largest railway station west of the Mississippi River. They pump over a million gallons of diesel fuel on a Sunday (think then how much they do on a weekday). I plan on taking a few of my zooms and my new 500/8. I will take my 8-200/4.5 as well to have something to show here, but the big focus is the new gear (the 500/8 and the 75-300 AF).

For all of you that have smartphones like the iPhone or Droid, I thought I would share a tip I use when shooting with a tripod. There are a few really good clinometer apps out there that include bubble levels and other types of levels. The app that I use has a level that I can use by setting the phone flat. What I do is set the head up (I use a 3-way pan head, not a ball) so it is all lined up square, then set my iPhone on the mount and using that app, adjust my tripod legs so the whole tripod is level. I use a couple of rubber bands to keep the iPhone in place while I adjust things. That way, when I use any of the 3-axis of the head, they track properly and I can use their angle markings with some degree of certainty. I used this method with my largest panorama to date, 47 vertical stitch. Even with overlap, the long side at full resolution is just shy of 120,000 pixels. My computer crashed 5 times stitching it together. I never would have been able to make the attempt without setting up the tripod this way. (also, the only reason I didn't showcase it here is that the exposure wasn't the best and it was slightly OOF, took it with my now parts lens, a 50/1.8E, has a overly loose helical, I think the lens may have been dropped).

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:20 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great tip Kevin. Here is another. If you activate the live view and hit the info button once you get a grid. Hit again and you get a giro level. This is on the D600 but I think it is there on the D7000 as well.

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:27 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3082 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey Ray, next time you do some shooting with your 35 like you just showed us, how about throwing on your 24-85mm for a little comparison? Thanks!

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3082 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Great tip Kevin. Here is another. If you activate the live view and hit the info button once you get a grid. Hit again and you get a giro level. This is on the D600 but I think it is there on the D7000 as well.

Good one! I did not know you could do that with the "Info" button... I will try that tonight.

I just updated my profile with my gear list, good heavens, I AM one of you all... Sheesh...!

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:40 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Hey Ray, next time you do some shooting with your 35 like you just showed us, how about throwing on your 24-85mm for a little comparison? Thanks!

For sure I just have to remember to take it along

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:45 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.3082 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes you are Kevin, a well respected one I might add. You are very supportive of the others that post here and that goes a long way IMHO

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password