1       2       3              3081      
       3083              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3082 #1 · p.3082 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
Ronny you should get this one so we can see pictures taken with it.. It is on sale, down from $99,000 to $94,500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-6mm-f-2-8-Nikkor-AI-Fisheye-Lens-VERY-RARE-/331004988399?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d116f4bef

Oh my! That is a hunk of glass!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:29 PM
ZippZopp17

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3082 #2 · p.3082 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Peter Z, I don't see your reversed lens images, there's a message saying the images are copyrighted.

odd, i'll have to look into it. does anyone else have this issue? they are just jpg files sitting on my web server so i dont' know why it would say that.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:54 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3082 #3 · p.3082 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Welcome David and a lovely photo to introduce yourself. Glad to have you aboard, but I have to warn you that these lenses are highly addictive

leighton w wrote:
Welcome David! Join right in to the conversation as well. I hope you guard your wallet!

davidthejr wrote:
Wow! Two people telling me to keep an eye on my money! Must be serious!
Thanks for the welcome and I'll be sure to keep my wallet close!

Socalpicman wrote:
No one gave me such a warning....

Too late now

JD

leighton w wrote:
Maybe we sensed you had money to burn JD.

Socalpicman wrote:
This disease would solve that problem wouldn't it
I'm really enjoying the 28 2.8, hopefully will find the same enjoyment from a couple of the new lens's when they arrive.

With all the great shots of Wheat and Barley is making me want to do brew a batch of beer and I haven't done that for a few years now.
Great macro shots all, I have always appreciated looking at them for the great detail and skill it takes. I tried years ago in film but I didn't seem to have the skill. Will
...Show more

When you start talking home brew, you're talking my language!

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:57 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3082 #4 · p.3082 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rattymouse wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks! I sort of regretted posting my little story this morning, because it had nothing to do with Nikon manual focus lenses. It was a bit more philosophical than that, but I'm glad the reception has been positive. I appreciate the replies. Off to bed now!

No worries RM, that's one of the things that makes this thread special.

Aug 28, 2013 at 04:58 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.3082 #5 · p.3082 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
that slow thing has very little to do with film itself. the last time I shot film I carried two EOS 1n with booster and usually went through 20-30 rolls per day, all on aperture preferred auto with AF lenses set to AF half the time. With auto film reload with auto-rewind and automatic ISO recognition. Basically, only every 36 frames it was a few seconds of delay before I was back on the button.

It's really how you choose to use a tool. I spend far more time on each shot now than I did back in those days
...Show more

The 55 f3.5 is a nice lens for fish tank shots. At least as long as the tanks and fish are either big or small enough. I used it for oscars and for shrimp photos a lot.

Used the 105 VR micro nikkor for everything else but it could have easily been replaced by the 105 f2.8 Ai-S without me noticing it.

I used a 4x5 Cambo for a while. Great camera and I always took 6 sheets of film with me. Those easily lasted 8-10 hours because there is a lot of setting up to do on a view camera.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:19 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3082 #6 · p.3082 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

New big toy from my favorite used seller. Adorama! A really nice surprise was sitting in place of the normal UV filter. If you look at the pic close you will see it has a drop in CPL with the little thumb wheel to adjust. An impossible addition to find for one of these lenses. It is over 90% humidity here right now so test shots are not going to be very good but I took one off the deck from about 300ft away of the neighbors wildflowers. It is a 100% crop. Looks like it is pretty sharp.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:57 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3082 #7 · p.3082 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
New big toy from my favorite used seller. Adorama! A really nice surprise was sitting in place of the normal UV filter. If you look at the pic close you will see it has a drop in CPL with the little thumb wheel to adjust. An impossible addition to find for one of these lenses. It is over 90% humidity here right now so test shots are not going to be very good but I took one off the deck from about 300ft away of the neighbors wildflowers. It is a 100% crop. Looks like it is pretty sharp.

welcome to the Big Guns club

drop in CPL for a long lens is indeed a rare find

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:11 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3082 #8 · p.3082 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:

Congrats Ron, what a beauty!

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.3082 #9 · p.3082 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Airborne museum, Sainte-Mère-Eglise, 28/2.8 ais :

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:41 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3082 #10 · p.3082 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, I like your choice of focus on #1 and the framing on #2. A very interesting set.

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3082 #11 · p.3082 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Philippe, I like your choice of focus on #1 and the framing on #2. A very interesting set.

+1

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3082 #12 · p.3082 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
No worries RM, that's one of the things that makes this thread special.

I'm with Leighton on that Tom. I enjoyed reading your story and as a hopeless romantic I found it touching. I met with a friend this morning after reading the thread and she mentioned a friend visiting from LA who'd brought a box of photos that belonged to my friend. They spent time going through the old photos and as Peter noted, it was a wonderful, magical experience. This friend is creative person who has produced a number of films and we shared our lament that photos have become so ephemeral as to become meaningless. Snap a photo on your iPhone and send it to Facebook or to your other friends, most often of the iPhone user shooting him or herself in front of this or that or with this or that friend... everyone posing, looking cool. Multiply that by a few billion and you get the idea that such images will not likely pass the test of time.

I'm not suggesting that printing photos is a solution, first because it won't happen and secondly because there will still be billions of snap shots floating around in cyberspace. Yes, as Peter (SA) notes, it is a great way to share photos with family members and there obviously is nothing wrong with that. I resist Facebook but am often tempted when my friends Sarah and Jesse post a video of Ansel as he first crawls, then stands, then takes halting steps. So the world is simply changing. I'm afraid those of us with DSLR cameras, and even film cameras are a dying breed. I guess the only solution is to use and enjoy the tools we have and leave it to later generations to work their magic. There will likely be a small number of folks who still want to press a shutter button, in the same way there are folks who still enjoy rebuilding classic cars and taking them to shows once or twice a year. Personally, I'm not about to give up my camera or lenses in exchange for a smartphone...

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3082 #13 · p.3082 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ron what a beautiful lens, Congrats!.
It dwarfs the size of my newest acquisition. I bought a 180mm 2.8 ED AIS from a very nice lady from Sarasota who had advertised it on Craigslist for $100.00. I scheduled an appointment and figured there had to be something wrong with this lens. To my surprise it was in excellent + condition. I offered to pay her more money for the lens because her price was too low but she refused. She said if I loved it and will use it then it was meant for me She also told me that she had personally purchased this lens from Frans Lanting famous photographer from California

Edited on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.3082 #14 · p.3082 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Doc,

beautiful acquisition looks like it just came out of the factory. And of course, you know how to use it.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3082 #15 · p.3082 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Tony. Very special compliment coming from you

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3082 #16 · p.3082 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Ron what a beautiful lens, Congrats!.
It dwarfs the size of my newest acquisition. I bought a 180mm 2.8 ED AIS from a very nice lady from Sarasota who had advertised it on Craigslist for $100.00. I scheduled an appointment and figured there had to be something wrong with this lens. To my surprise it was in excellent + condition. I offered to pay her more money for the lens because her price was too low but she refused. She said if I loved it and will use it then it was meant for me She also told me that
...Show more

Drool! Love the shots taken with it as well!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.3082 #17 · p.3082 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

anthonysemone wrote:
Doc,

beautiful acquisition looks like it just came out of the factory. And of course, you know how to use it.

+10

Reagan

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3082 #18 · p.3082 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Kevin and Reagan

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3082 #19 · p.3082 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I think Reagan showed up because he heard through the ether my comment about classic cars...

There will likely be a small number of folks who still want to press a shutter button, in the same way there are folks who still enjoy rebuilding classic cars and taking them to shows once or twice a year...

Nice to see you on the thread my friend. I guess you crawled out from under the Chevelle to catch a bit of daylight... What you found instead is Ray STEALING another lens. I don't know how he does it but I think we should all ask him to do our shopping...

AWESOME Ray! I've no doubt that you'll make that classic lens sing, even as you did with those first shots. Quite a kit you're creating...

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3082 #20 · p.3082 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Awesome BIF Doc!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:27 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell