Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3078      
       3080              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3079 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I actually like this angle better than the "Dutch angle" ones. But I know you had to provide those for publication purposes.

I like all angles - each lap I try something different, otherwise you get a lot of duplication, all the same thing when you see the endless row of thumbs in Bridge With more than one car in the frame, the horizontal view works better, but you don't know what's coming around the corner and you have no time to adjust, so you shoot one lap this way, the next tilted left, then right, but almost never vertical unless the scenery asks for it.

another level shot from the same lap - same settings as the Shadow car in the last one. This one was easy to correct - the bright orange wasn't affected by the fringe removal at all. The Huelight High camera profile really helps with these saturated colors. Usually I pick Camera Landscape, but with this shot it would have blown out all detail by going way too far.

I wonder if the drop-in filter in the lens could be partially responsible for all the CA - I will have to do some testing with and without to see what happens.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:44 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3079 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Somehow I always get the first post on top of the page in recent days

and now something very different - all 55mm f/1.2 ISO 100

f/5.6 1/250s

f/4.0 1/320s

f/2.8 1/200s

and the carbon monster at f/2.8 1/80s

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:45 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.3079 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Somehow I always get the first post on top of the page in recent days

and now something very different - all 55mm f/1.2 ISO 100

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/55mmf1.2/DSC_3736_web.jpg

Thanks for sharing all the racing photos and your observations Peter. My experience with the TC16a is very similar, I have used it successfully on the 400mm 3.5 and the 50-300mm 4.5 among others, but it needs a bright day and f/8 for best results, mine does autofocus quickly and accurately. I have not had so much trouble with CA on the 400mm by itself or with the TC 14 or TC 301, only see aberrations around really bright spots and they get corrected with axial correction in NX2. Checking the drop in filter seems like a good idea.

Again, thanks for sharing this racing photo session, it was one of the best series so far in the thread!

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:00 PM
raboof
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3079 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I haven't shot film for years. Tom's images are excellent and I think I am going to give my F2 a roll.

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3079 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The color Tom is incredible. I love these shots, especially the last set with a bit more light. The first shot with the temple surrounded by modern buildings is awesome. The rendering of the sky and clouds is amazing. Unfortunately, the cost of processing and digitizing is prohibitive where I live so I'll have to enjoy the work of the film buffs hanging out on this thread. Keep em coming.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3079 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'll second all the compliments on your race photos Peter. I can sense how seductive that kind of shooting can be with the high energy, high speed cars and the intense competition inherent in racing. You obviously mastered the craft and your 600 f/4 AI-s seems up to the task even if the teleconverter is a bit wonky. Of course, back in the day that was what everyone was using to do this work, so we shouldn't be surprised at that. But also remarkable is that you were shooting with a camera not specifically designed for this kind of shooting, the D600. What a versatile camera it is! Great work Peter.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:29 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3079 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll second all the compliments on your race photos Peter. I can sense how seductive that kind of shooting can be with the high energy, high speed cars and the intense competition inherent in racing. You obviously mastered the craft and your 600 f/4 AI-s seems up to the task even if the teleconverter is a bit wonky. Of course, back in the day that was what everyone was using to do this work, so we shouldn't be surprised at that. But also remarkable is that you were shooting with a camera not specifically designed for this kind of shooting,
...Show more

Thanks everyone for the compliments - going back with the 600mm was a journey into the past, trying to see if I still could do it. It has become easier today to pull off these shots, because ISO 400 and higher was impossible in the film days, so we rarely pulled out a converter, only on really nice days. The lens I used back in the 90s was better than the 600 AIS, I have to say. The Canon USM lenses of that generation were optically better than this lens, but not by much, and it could also be the fact that film hides some of the flaws better than the unforgiving sensor of a D600. I am sure my shots would not once raise any suspicion among editors as to coming from a vintage lens and a pro-sumer camera.

The D600 may not be marketed for this type of shooting, but I think it is the best body Nikon offers for it. The only thing a D4 has over the D600 is durability. The higher frame rate it gains by dropping resolution (same processor, just chewing on less data) is unimportant for my way of shooting and the DR and resolution at the typical ISO ranges in use are inferior on the D4. I'd never use that camera even if I did this professionally, even if it cost half as much. AF is not really useful either, even if you have the latest and greatest VR lenses. I think the D600 is the perfect compromise between resolution and speed and price in the FX lineup. I'd buy a second one if I shot racing more frequently (because you don't have time to change lenses in a lot of shooting situations).

By the way, you can pick up a 600mm f/4.0 with the D600 body mount - I caught myself once doing it in shock... - Back in the day with the EOS-1n we always did that. That camera is a tank, I still have it, just no lenses for it. Maybe I should look into getting a Nikon to EOS converter and try the 600mm on my old racing film body.

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:04 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3079 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

New MF Lenses
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/25/lomography-resurrects-the-19th-century-petzval-lens-for-canon-and-nikon-slrs/

All about the bokeh I guess but we already have that. I have seen countless posts on here with Nikon MF glass with the exact same ringed bokeh.

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:25 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.3079 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just in case you ever wanted to know what a Cicada looks like close up! This poor fella was dug up by one of the ground wasps but he was still moving some. PB-6 Bellow, PK-13 and BR-2A reversing ring with the 55 2.8 Micro

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3079 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
Just in case you ever wanted to know what a Cicada looks like close up! This poor fella was dug up by one of the ground wasps but he was still moving some. PB-6 Bellow, PK-13 and BR-2A reversing ring with the 55 2.8 Micro

This is so cool. I also think this is the first bellows shot in the thread. Should post this in the macro section also. any shot of the whole bug? I have never seen one.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.3079 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
This is so cool. I also think this is the first bellows shot in the thread. Should post this in the macro section also. any shot of the whole bug? I have never seen one.

check out this video about the 17-year cicada cycle
http://vimeo.com/66688653

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:58 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3079 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
check out this video about the 17-year cicada cycle
http://vimeo.com/66688653

That was amazing... I had no idea. I have been hearing them for the last few weeks in the trees in front of my apartment, but haven't seen any.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:22 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3079 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ron, the Cicada-portrait is impressive, to say the least. I wonder how you've managed focusing and composing in the field, the picture is well worth the effort.

Peter, will look at your racing-shots when back at home. The old Powerbook-display doesn't do your work justice (hope that's proper English). Capture NX does a much better job when it comes to loCA-removal than Photoshop ACR (much less aggressive to other parts of the image).

Tom, your (and many other) pictures don't load or just partially here in a small harbour. Will look later in detail, but I could already recognise the 24/2's typical triangular shaped highlights (love this lens).

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:54 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3079 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:

Cicadas...it's what's for dinner! Great shot.

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.3079 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice images everyone.

Georg, like the shipboard handrail. Nice bokeh shapes.

RM (Tom1), nice stone statue at Jing'an Park.

Leighton (Tom2) , the lamb testing looks like a tough assignment. I am still going to call you Leighton. Tom just does not seem right.

Peter, wonderful racing images. Nice compositions and very sharp takes.

Mark, I like the Moorhen image. Nice colors and mood.

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3079 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Leighton (Tom2) , the lamb testing looks like a tough assignment. I am still going to call you Leighton. Tom just does not seem right.

That's probably a good idea. Plus, I like being unique!

Edited on Jul 25, 2013 at 09:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.3079 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

50mm 1.2 again

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:00 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3079 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Nice images everyone.

Mark, I like the Moorhen image. Nice colors and mood.

Thanks Scott.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:23 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3079 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jorge Torralba wrote:
50mm 1.2 again

Very nice one Jorge. Amazing colour with the blue shirt and shell.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:23 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.3079 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two different ones for me.

B&W with the 85mm on the London Underground, some tired tourists back off to Heathrow.

Then the 24mm sky with some cloud-to-cloud lightning.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password